Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

it's funny how he doesn't get super thirsty until the later letters, like it's just been building up the whole time lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

You guys are awesome.

What on Earth should I do with this letter? I can store it properly before I put it back in the shed, but that's about it.

I'll post some of the other photos later.

i mean do you know the family of the letter writer?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

No, not at all.

There was no envelope or anything. Just the letter and some photos with it.

yeah but do you remember the name of the deceased in the estate sale? or can you find it? maybe the family would like to have it

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

No, it was consolidated military stuff from several different ones.

ah, well that's too bad. i guess we're all destined to be forgotten, eventually. it's pretty cool though that this guy's thoughts can live on here for a minute

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Well those pictures have names. Sgt Robert P Dawson stood out. So we know they were in Burma. I know by the uniforms those guys were US Army and not British. Since they dealt in planes a lot they were probably apart of the US Army Air Force:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Burma_India_Theater

So now it's just narrowing down the unit.

that's pretty loving rad dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

If the letters were part of the estate sale, doesn't that mean that the family either doesn't exist or already decided they didn't want the letters? But I don't really know how estate sales work so who knows.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a few photos my great-grandpa sent home from Guadalcanal in 1942 with messages on the back if anyone would be interested in seeing them. There's no horniness, just "here are the tents, here's the bathroom" type stuff.

yeah totally, i mean maybe the guy came back and turned into an rear end in a top hat and his descendants are like whatever, sell it, burn it, i dont care. or maybe he lived to an old age with his wife and she passed before him and they didn't have any kids and their next of kin just didn't know about this cool history. either way, I've got a big history boner right now