Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

I'm not reading anything that doesn't have elfs or swords, or at least a monster in it.

Baudolino calls your name

Eco in general is good to check out for genre readers, his books get pretty wild and fantastic at times and are all page-turners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lex Neville posted:

"Literary" is a quality any kind of fiction can have and is separate from genre altogether. There are loads of literary works of historical fiction :) I think "genre fiction" as opposed to "literary fiction" is a bit of a misnomer. After all, if you really feel the need to, you can make up a genre for any kind of fiction, literary or otherwise. In other words, prefacing "fiction" with whichever genre does not preclude it from being "literary". Years ago in uni we had a discussion about more or less this subject and I remember my professor pitching the idea that the reason typical genre-fiction genres such as SF/F, romance, whodunnits etc are often not considered literature is that (historically) many such works either are formulaic or offer (relatively) little artistic or intellectual value, and for whatever that's worth, it has kind of stuck with me. What exactly makes literature literary will probably never be settled, though, so in the end, who really gives a poo poo. The point is not whether a work is literary. Everyone's never going to agree on that. The point is whether it's good.

Another for what it's worth: if you'd ask me, Brave New World definitely qualifies as literature.

I would generally agree with this but also point out that it is also true that "literary fiction" is used as a genre classification of its own insofar as what shelf the book goes on at a book store

A good tip is to see if any genre authors you like have also written books considered literature, Marlon James is a good example, or Iain (M) Banks.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

as an avid genre fiction reader here's some of my favorite authors categorized as literature, read these if you only read Sanderson or w/e and wanna branch out

Proust
Graves
Borges
Nabokov
Eco
Calvino
Dovstoesky

yeah thats a bunch of dead white dudes, im trying to fix it ok ok

as for "books assigned in high school that are really great" my faves are The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird so give those another go