Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

A lot of people in the general chat thread said they wanted a thread to be an “intro to Real Literature (™)” and other people said it wasn’t needed because we have a literature thread already. People said that thread was too insular and dickish so they wanted one that wasn’t that and then people replied “so make one” and that was responded with “why don’t you?” and everyone just circle jerking in their little camps was getting tiring so here you go, a thread for getting into non-genre literature.

I actually don’t really read much non-genre fiction, unless you count mysteries and thrillers (I don’t). But in a way, as pointed out many times in the chat thread, that may work to an advantage because we can all go on this journey of branching out together. It’s my hope this thread will be chill (although people were saying the other lit thread is pretty chill too so who knows). People that don’t read much literature (or read much at all I suppose) can come in and ask for recommendations based on other stuff they have liked, and people that are more knowledgeable can drop by and share authors/books they think are worth reading. Everyone starts somewhere and who knows, if you don’t read non-genre now maybe you’ll discover some new favorite authors and can share with others who are in a similar place you were.

So I’ll start with a book I read recently, actually the only book I wouldn’t hesitate to call literature I’ve read this year:

The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma (2015) - I read this earlier this year based on a wildcard in the challenge thread, and it was well written and thought provoking but honestly it wasn’t for me, and that’s ok. I don’t regret reading it, it was just depressing as hell.

How about you guys? What have you read and liked, or didn’t like? What do you want more of? Are we prepared for the blind to lead the blind? Let’s have fun with it and be chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I've been meaning to reread Brave New World as that was probably my favorite of the assigned books back in high school but is it classic enough to ascend into literature? On the other hand, maybe I should reread Scarlet Letter because that was one of my least favorite ones.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I started The Count of Monte Cristo the other day and for a book that's ~1100 pages I'm actually surprised at how fast the plot is moving. Dumas wanted to waste no time in getting to the actual plot and I really appreciate that. I feel like I've read too many books where I get halfway through and the main plot hasn't even started.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

pleasecallmechrist posted:

I adore Dumas. Three Musketeers is also fantastic. What translation are you reading?

The new(ish) one from Penguin Classics, as I understand it's the only actual unabridged version in English

fridge corn posted:

Tbh the count of monte Cristo was probably like that era's equivalent of comic books

The translator actually pointed out in the foreword that at the time this book was considered a story for children, which is wild considering I've already read one of apparently many passages about tripping on hashish. Guess kids really are too coddled these days.