Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think that's another part of it. People will make up their minds about this stuff when they're kids and don't have the frame of reference to appreciate it. I wonder if half the books you slogged through while wishing you were reading Cherryh would have the same effect today.

If you're in school, chances are you don't want to be in school. And if you do like being in school, chances are there's another class you'd prefer to be in. For a lot of people the natural reaction to being forced to read something (when you'd rather be doing something else) is to dislike the object your attention is directed at. I think that's continued with "Good literature." People respond to the "good" part like it's some kind of moral instruction, akin to taking foul tasting medicine. If you approach something with the thought "there is a reason to enjoy this book" you've put aside the mental taint of the bad imperative behind your reading.

An example for me was when I was fourteen/fifteen and we were studying Julius Caesar for an exam. Often people will say they hated having to "extract themes and symbolism" but that's not the most proximal bit of that. They don't enjoy treating reading a story as something other than just simply reading the story. The weekend before the exam I knew I couldn't do anymore, so I just sat down and read the play like I would read anything else. I loved it. All it took was approaching it the same way I'd approach what I read for enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU