Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hello,

Yes it's another chat thread. It's June 2020 and my god has 202 been one ugly year. Fires, floods, riots, disease........ even the giant meteor has gone "Nope, that's too much"

So in this hosed up year, here is some GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2YJF4Yhp1I - Kittens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7wiz_lURg - More kittens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI3fiNkgTOU - SpaceX returns the USA to manned space flight

That Outback has become a SEP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRyN7muczX4 Puppies!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSB71jNq-yQ - Chainsaw birb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RmfvZ7IF4 - Headbanging Birb!

****** PET TOLL IS IN EFFECT ******

Yes it's a dumb OP but we all need cuteness and kittens.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Black Lives Matter.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Needs more Turbo Barra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFSRK-Jjgdg

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm predicting that this month is going to be the lava level.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

is that because of all the earthquakes near yellowstone?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
White House going up in flames soon.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We won't even need canadians this time.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

We won't even need canadians this time.

First person to take a picture from the top of the ruins gets made an honourary member of the Order of Canada

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sure has been a wild 75 years since Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

You guys know it was a British force that burnt the Whitehouse (led by an Irish officer) right?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

freelop posted:

You guys know it was a British force that burnt the Whitehouse (led by an Irish officer) right?

:words:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress the White House btw. gently caress all real estate that is valued more than human life.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I admire your optimism. At this rate we're getting an underwater level.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I feel I should say this since I'm the mod or something, but death threats are being taken seriously and punished harshly. Tensions are running high right now and alot of people are rightly pissed the gently caress off, but please don't post them. I really don't want to have to ban anyone over them making dumb threats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

I feel I should say this since I'm the mod or something, but death threats are being taken seriously and punished harshly. Tensions are running high right now and alot of people are rightly pissed the gently caress off, but please don't post them. I really don't want to have to ban anyone over them making dumb threats.

I just want the buildings to be reduced to rubble.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Don't push it rhyno. Please.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FINE.

The kid who lost his eye got national attention, his med expenses GFM went from $3K to $39k real fast. Supposedly there is video of the hit proving he was over 30 feet from the street when the PD fired at him.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The kid who lost his eye got national attention, his med expenses GFM went from $3K to $39k real fast. Supposedly there is video of the hit proving he was over 30 feet from the street when the PD fired at him.

Got a link to this story?

When I was watching sat night I saw a cop fire a tear gas canister almost point blank at some lady and it bounced off her head, clearly on purpose.

gently caress The Police

Also

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Saw a heartbreaking photo yesterday of a woman who was out for groceries, got nailed dead center of her forehead with a beanbag or some other "less lethal" horseshit that was being sprayed into a crowd, blood pouring into her eyes. This after seeing a video of a shitload of roidraging armored-up cops unload paint pellets on a group of young people watching a patrol from their PORCH. THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvNAid29vv8

The cops are treating this like a warzone against an armed enemy and have been since before this all popped off. Is it due to so many veterans becoming cops? The difference in training between military and domestic police agencies does not, in my opinion, make for effective or safe police.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Just gotta get through this week and the next then I have a glorious week of paid time off because I take a week for my birthday every year because I am a child.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

stevobob posted:

The cops are treating this like a warzone against an armed enemy and have been since before this all popped off. Is it due to so many veterans becoming cops? The difference in training between military and domestic police agencies does not, in my opinion, make for effective or safe police.

I doubt it. Military vets have had rules of engagement drilled into them for so long its second nature, so they're not likely to go around needlessly targeting unarmed and non threatening targets.

Its more like "Bobby wanted to be a soldier but couldn't hack the idea of the other people shooting back, so he became a cop and is now getting to play out his warfighter fantasy"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Got a link to this story?

When I was watching sat night I saw a cop fire a tear gas canister almost point blank at some lady and it bounced off her head, clearly on purpose.

gently caress The Police

Also

They keep calling him a kid or a teen but it turns out he is 21. The original story listed him as 17.

https://www.wfft.com/content/news/Fort-Wayne-teen-loses-eye-after-struck-by-tear-gas-canister-570911221.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ferremit posted:

I doubt it. Military vets have had rules of engagement drilled into them for so long its second nature, so they're not likely to go around needlessly targeting unarmed and non threatening targets.

Its more like "Bobby wanted to be a soldier but couldn't hack the idea of the other people shooting back, so he became a cop and is now getting to play out his warfighter fantasy"

Soldiers are punished for breaking rules of engagement. Rules of engagement are defined by command. For cops, you have both the fact that rules of engagement are nebulously defined, and when they are broken, cops are not punished.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

stevobob posted:

The influx of vets and the endless supply of military equipment doesn’t help, but the occupying force, us vs them mentality infests entire organisations. Seen a lot of talk about how much training focuses on offensive/defensive tactics, but gently caress all on de-escalation, but presumably this varies wildly. Your police see themselves as above the law, because they often are. Even this week they’re thumbing their nose at higher authority - see Atlanta’s mayor being feed bullshit information and De Blasio’s daughter being doxxed.

No idea how you fix any of it. Police by consent theory would maybe help, but you’d still have many of the same concerns because forces would still be full of racist thugs with guns who routinely get away with literal murder. gently caress they could at least try to read the goddamn room - how much of the violence these past days only kicked off because of police actions? 99% of it, easily.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

From the last thread:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And once again, the 97 days of May are over.

Even the Giant Meteor is saying LOLNO this is getting too much to believe

Felt the need for this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

gently caress The Police

Thanks. This gave me a full belly laugh today.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sigh.
My buddy recently went completely off the deep end and is now posting a bunch of #redpill fake anon bullshit.
Most recently was support for Trump stripping the shield laws of social media platforms of his choosing.

I was fine putting up with the Hydrogen water bullshit, and the EMF/anti 5g tinfoil hat bullshit, but this is too much.

Just in case anyone is solely focused on how this affects social media platforms, please remember that the whole "corporations have a right to free speech" thing also greatly affects FEC/campaign financing laws. So it's not such a stretch to see Trump use it to his advantage next election beyond Twitter messaging and into punishing opposing political donors.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

birbs? Check out this birb on my neighbors car down the street! He has been hanging out this weekend.

but on to more serious matters:

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Had an unexpected moment of emotion with our seven year old daughter Saturday night. She came out of her room while my wife and I were viewing a video of a cop car being set on fire in downtown Salt Lake City. She asked why that was happening. I had to tell her about George Floyd, and the events that happened. I told her that people were upset because this man was killed by a police officer. We told her how upset we were about it. We told her that it was especially difficult because of how the police officer was a white man and George Floyd was a black man. We talked about segregation and history, noting how there were things that her grandparents saw that were so sad to experience and see. I think we were able to distill it down enough for her young mind to understand. She still has some questions and it will take time for her to understand and more than a brief conversation can allow. Having to tell her about how a man died by suffocation over the course of ten minutes while doing everything he was told to do by a police officer and was not a threat of any kind broke my heart. I cried, so did my wife. We ended by telling her how important it is that we only work to build each other up, that we should only show love to one another and that we need to help others to the best of our abilities.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

From the last thread:

Felt the need for this:

Fire ze missiles!

Ferremit posted:

Consider that Trump pardoned a literal war criminal - the ROE that our military deals with is not great either and there's some really lovely culture there too.

Your second point is right on though. I would argue that at this point, the very desire to be a cop should be grounds to bar that person from the job. For all the "what about the good cops" bullshit, somehow none of those cops ever seem to be around or willing to act when a bad cop does what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I worked with cops for 8 years and can say without a doubt probably 80% of them are assholes (men and women!) that were beat up in high school and are on a power trip to get revenge or are just bitter miserable people that hate life and want others to hate it too.

A few of them were legit good guys, and boy was I happy when those guys showed up instead of the assholes.