Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

"Peace, quiet and good order will be maintained in our city
To the best of our ability. Riots, melees and disturbances
Of the peace are against the interests of all our people; and
Therefore cannot be permitted."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's not just a policing issue, it's larger than that.

Boots Riley on Chris Dorner (LAPD cop that got tired of the bullshit and killed a few cops himself):

A quick thought about Chris Dorner:

We should remember that Dorner was a cop, first and foremost. He didn't like police brutality, but police brutality is only a small part of the problem with police. A well-oiled, non-corrupt police force without police brutality is still a menace to the working class, especially for communities of color.

I don't care if they give you a massage and a spa treatment before they take you to jail- they're job is to lock folks up who are actually trying to hustle to survive. Under capitalism, there MUST be unemployment. If there was no unemployment, the system wouldn't work because everyone would be able to demand higher wages.

A certain amount of unemployed and employed folks have to be involved in illegal economies just to survive. Illegal economies require physical force- violence- to regulate them, as there is no other recourse.

This means the police's target for imprisonment is foretold by the system.

Many folks'- "progressive" and "conservative"- narrative of "crime" and violence in the Black community is one that favors individual blame of the folks involved. This is because the idea of changing the system requires building a radical, militant mass movement, so folks ignore the real answer and try to come up with psychological and cultural reasoning for it.

If cops actually wanted to fight "crime" as they see it- dope dealing, murders, etc., they would not be a cop and they would build a movement to take down capitalism and replace it with one where the people democratically control the wealth that they create with their labor.

The choice of becoming a cop means that you have decided that there is no problem with capitalism, and the source of violence and "crime" is the individual on the street.

That viewpoint is something that is pushed by almost every TV show, movie, and comic book that most of us have seen. So it's not shocking that many would have this viewpoint. (It's also the reason that Dorner's actions were accepted in some circles- he's a cop- like all our comic book heroes. Hell, even Tarantino's Django was a cop.)

It's just not true, though. It's a theory that doesn't hold water. The violence on the street is a natural outgrowth of the violence in the boardroom.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:sigh:

Edit: not to emptypost a meme, things are going to start to suck. I see that in a number of facets of life right now. We've been through tough times before, but this is honestly starting to get a little bit intimidating.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 2, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

How much further down is there? In the words of Joss Whedon in his punching-bag-character Wesley: "There's always more down."

In rap news -- I was introduced to rap in about '93 when my friend that worked in a record store put NWA on in the store. I was completely turned off at first, it was shockingly harsh. Over time, I learned the nuances and really saw what they were saying. Well, as much as a suburban white guy can. Since then, I've navigated some pretty narrow waters. I've never been a fan of any of the real commercial stuff... Drake, Kendrik, etc. Before he went mental, I really dug some of Kanye's stuff, but that was a weird one-off period of time. Like we're in now.

But there's one band.

Just one band.

That really strikes all the right nerves for me -- The Coup.

I've posted about them before. The Chris Dorner quote I posted yesterday was by Boots Riley, the founder. They consistently put out anti-capitalist jams that absolutely resonate. At their time of release, and now. Perhaps more now.

They have a mix of awesome funk-inspired jams with pointed, deep, intricate lyrics that are absolutely layered like an onion. All the while being in your face. How in your face? This was their third album's cover that was slated to be released in mid-September of 2001:

From a period article:

quote:

Riley said the cover design, completed in June, was "supposed to be a metaphor for the capitalist state being destroyed through the music."

It should not be interpreted as a call to violence, particularly in light of Tuesday's tragedy, he said.

"My condolences go to the families of the victims and all their friends and anybody affected at all by the catastrophe," Riley said. "But they can't sidestep that the reason this is being censored is a political one, not a sympathetic one. It's not out of respect to the victims."

A couple notable songs, imo:

Second album's pinnacle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v-rIWUAQuI

From Party Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz3DjOed39I

And something we beater drivers can relate to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evlb8E0ZoNk

So Boots Riley also directed a 2018 movie called "Sorry to Bother You." I recommend watching that to find out what is really behind capitalism.

And this song is featured:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

And it's just what we need now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was at a statehouse protest with my son today. Lots of marching and road domination with the few thousand people in attendance.

You know what I did when I got into my vehicle to go home? Avoided the area, because trying to drive in an area like that is asinine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Prong Song posted:

How insane is it that we've come to a position where someone is trying to justify a mob of people blocking the road as being completely innocent of any wrongdoing?

How far into extremes of hypothetical examples do we have to go before you, just maybe, admit that a group of people trying to prevent others from going about their lawful, normal business and travel should be prevented from doing so?

I missed this.

As I said, I just came from just a "mob" of people. It started out with about 500. During the march, almost everyone stayed on the sidewalk, but, in keeping together, blatantly disregarded the crosswalk signals, true.

Later on, the number of people was in the thousands and yes, the roadway was dominated. That is an action of civil disobedience. It draws attention because it goes against the norms to point out a larger issue with society.

Yes, it inconvenienced motorists, but it was a clearly visible obstacle. To those people that were inconvenienced, at least it didn't last that long. But there is NO way you can justify driving a vehicle INTO the protesting mob as anything other than intentional infliction of injury. Vastly, completely, comprehensively different than making a motorist wait for a bit, or hell, even turn around and find another route.

Edit: And with regard to "preventing them from doing so," the police were there in force and declined to act. In other instances, the police are not present in enough numbers to "prevent" such an occurrence.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You Am I posted:

That was awesome, put a smile on my face this morning :)

Made me smile, too. Tony Hawk is good people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

Not my style of music, but I'll take it instead of the normal thankyou email. Listened to the album twice and it's quite good.

Also check out their videos. Solid effortposts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Prong Song posted:

first off, go gently caress yourself. Secondly, do you want me to link the half-dozen copypasta social media posts I've seen in the past couple of days, calling for mass immunity? I didn't say someone here was calling for mass immunity.

Gettin' spicy in here.

I'd like to propose that any evidence from unattributed and unsourced social media be immediately dismissed as irrelevant garbage. I can post things showing Bill Gates is literally Satan incarnate, but the people posting that stuff are mentally ill. Anyone posting that looters and arsonists should be released with no consequences are equally bonkers (as you said), but are such a small percentage of the population as to be fully irrelevant.

We are getting lost in social media memes in our own self-built and algorithm-fed echo chambers, and it's not helpful.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Let's talk about some actual, insane bullshit

Idiot in Chief claims to have given Mattis the nickname he's had for 20 years. Also seems unaware that CHAOS was his call sign.

AND he wasn't fired but who can keep score at this point?

Reported for abuse of pixels. And indisputable evidence that "Mad Dog" was a nickname for Mattis at least by 2006: http://armedforcesjournal.com/the-c...8G2TXPA4dQmKMpo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Humphreys posted:

Has Trump been listening to our Prime Minister Scotty from Marketing? Imagine if the Japanese, German and Russians decided for another go at the whole 'war' thing. Bumbling Boris, Scotty from Marketing and Idiot in Chief gonna turn us into a 3 stooges sketch.

At least it'd be quick, 'cause you know that the orange one wants to throw a nuke so bad he can taste it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Whooo that's about as good as that conversation could have gone.
Delete that poo poo loving ASAP.

Yup. Who has anything that can be associate with a real identity on reddit? (Not STR, anymore :D )

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Where the gently caress is that from?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My 10 year old found an old padlock last night and picked it. I'm so proud.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yup. I'm just waiting for Robert e Lee to go away in Virginia. That will be a real bellwether.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Can you guys please not Jynx this poo poo until at least November

Like seriously

Yeah, there's a whole lot more down until things get better. Enjoy the small victories, stay ready to ride out the bad stuff coming.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Guys I finally bought a Wrangler after pinning for one for years! :v:

Got it for a song too!

Old tires, dead paint, cheap Jeep. Perfection. Nicely done! Now you can Jeep it all you want with no risk. What year/miles? It's automatic, isn't it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a 1997, 4cyl 5 speed Manuel, no a/c :v:

Only 125k miles on it, and I snagged it for $4k. Usually Jeeps in that price range are over 200k miles and loving trashed and/or rusted out.

The interior is pretty nice too which is rare for a Jeep this old, the Florida sun usually destroys interiors.

My wife isn't too pleased with me for buying it tho so I'm in the dog house now :(

I don't know if I'll make a thread, probably just post in the Jeep thread. But yeah it's the same way here, people wanting $10k for their poorly maintained Jeep with 200k miles on it.....I was first in line for this one with about four other people behind me.

That is a damned steal. No joke, you'd get $2k profit just by driving it to Ohio.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Grakkus posted:

Forcing companies to actually pay tax and then putting it towards education would be nice.

Yup.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:munch:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I miss when you could buy word filters for $30/month or whatever. Just the way it changed an entire conversation or thread was too good. Enacting that again could fund like 50 new spines for lowtax.

I'd be okay with even 1 good spine for lowtax. I like this idea.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

shy boy from chess club posted:

I know I used it as a pejorative for the last time like a week ago. I was telling my friend about a person I know who does a lot of dumb things and said it. His wife has a sister who is literally mentally retarded and we we just talking about her like 5 minutes before. I felt like such a piece of poo poo and apologized a lot. I still feel like a piece of poo poo now so Im not going to use it any more except to describe engine timing, etc.

The guy picking up my baby is in Austin right now and getting her in an hour :kimchi:

You know, I walk a line with pejoratives. I've got an autistic son and the number of times "autist" is used as a pejorative rivals that of a lot of other words. It's kinda cringy from my point of view, so I don't make an issue of it, but I can see both sides, since both terms (and others) fall under the "developmental disabilities" umbrella.

Good luck with your baby delivery!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If you don't separate the art from the artist, you're going to have very few sources of entertainment, imo.

Bill Cosby and kid rape is beyond the pale, obviously, but when you get down to moral issues, how much of your time is it worth to evaluate the artist's moral values versus just listening to their stuffs?

JK Rowling is a complicated one. I've never read her stuff, but I've been impressed with the amount of her wealth that's been given away to help people. But then there's the whole anti-gay/anti-trans poo poo that's happening and damnit, why can't people just be non-assholes?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

They did it. NASCAR banned the confederate flag at events. Wow!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/10/nascar-bans-confederate-flag-at-all-events-and-properties.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

No power here since last night. No problem, dig out the generator and fire it up. Oh look, some dumbass (me) left gas in it last time ot was used... about 5 years ago. Carburetor gunned as gently caress.

Mikuni carb float valve stuck and messed up. Cleaned it and it's running, but hella rich. Manually turned the gas shutoff valve for a backwoods tune and it's running all our necessary stuff now.

Man, this year is something.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 11, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Generator chat follow-up:

20 hour outage, which is the second-longest we've had here in over 10 years. Long enough to screw the stuff in your refrigerator if you didn't have a generator, frozen stuff still probably okay.

I live in an area of mcmansions and entitled owners, it's amazing how long we've been on a lovely, old, part of the grid without upgrades, but we are. Outages aren't as frequent as they used to be, but they do happen.

I use a $500/5000W gas generator for the price point. No way to get a diesel for anywhere near that scratch. Plus, it's a pretty reliable thing, as long as I'm not a dumbass and put it away with gas in it. I don't know what the configuration of the gas was, but there was varnish and the needle valve was caked in gel.

On that note: It's a Subaru/Robin EX30 motor with a Mikuni carb, but I cannot find just a rebuild kit for the carb. Looks like there are scores of Chinese knockoff carbs for $25, but no individual parts. Thoughts?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fort Wayne assembly?

Right off of I-69.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So... what does this mean? I'm assuming it's an ironic word salad?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 12, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

Why would you expose us to that

Some of us on FB were exposed and I was wondering how to interpret it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I hope this isn't what it looks like it is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/investigation-ongoing-young-black-man-220540351.html

And n-thing the STR good wishes. I pm'd you on FB, but in case you see it here first... hurry up and get back.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Beach Bum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4

I've watched this twice now. So much grief and rage. I felt like he was in the room with me.

It's Dave fuckin' Chappelle, so :nws: obviously.

I was just going to post the same thing. Watched it last night, then just now with my wife. His delivery is typical Chappelle. If you haven't seen it yet, take 27 minutes and watch it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ferremit posted:

Cinebench R20 scores went from ~1600 ok the i7 to ~6500 on the Ryzen.

Thanks, I was looking for a modern benchmark.

My 5 year old laptop with an i7 and 32gb is just under 1700. How does that compare to a modern laptop / gaming laptop? I don't need it right now, but this thing has been solid for 5 years and that's unheard of for me to actually keep one running that long, so I feel I'm on borrowed time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fridge corn posted:

Happy Monday have 3 yellow tdfs

~$5M in that shot alone. Insert complaint about capitalism creating an imbalance and disproportionate reward for labor.

So, OP, how many years would you have to work to afford one of these things that you work on and repair every day?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

At what he's paid, or what his hours are billed to the client at?

Go crazy and calculate it at the latter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Liquid Communism posted:

Bold of you to assume the techs get paid the labor rate.

I said to give the benefit of the doubt. Even so, making $333k per year, you'd have one in 5 years, provided that you had no housing costs, food costs, transporation costs, medical costs, insurance costs, etc.

Basically, they are unobtainable unless you're gaming the system in some way.

Edit: But us poors can still spank the Ferrari in a new Tesla Model S.

https://insideevs.com/news/427769/video-tesla-model-s-p100d-vs-ferrari-f12/

Edit2: At least there's some good news, Supreme Court says sexual orientation and transgender status is protected under the Civil Rights Act. :toot:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-existing-civil-rights-law-protects-gay-lesbian-n1231018

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 15, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well that's not going to go down well with his evangelical base is it?

:lol:

Oh dear. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

shy boy from chess club posted:

Also baby update, play hard sleep hard

Elmnt80 posted:

Never stop posting pictures. Unless you want a 6'er with that adorable fuzz ball as the reason. I'd be down with that.

It is kinda disrespectful showing off.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I saw a fiery FB post and went looking at the group "Nascar fans against Black Lives Matter." I think there may be some tomfoolery afoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

So this is AI as hell. Driving across the country in a newly purchased Mitsubishi Delica to get it home.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/business/coronavirus-road-trip.html

Did they buy it from Kaker?

Seems odd to put all that time and effort into it when they could import one right to a nearby port, but it was a good read and gave them a good story.