Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

stevobob posted:

The cops are treating this like a warzone against an armed enemy and have been since before this all popped off. Is it due to so many veterans becoming cops? The difference in training between military and domestic police agencies does not, in my opinion, make for effective or safe police.

The influx of vets and the endless supply of military equipment doesn’t help, but the occupying force, us vs them mentality infests entire organisations. Seen a lot of talk about how much training focuses on offensive/defensive tactics, but gently caress all on de-escalation, but presumably this varies wildly. Your police see themselves as above the law, because they often are. Even this week they’re thumbing their nose at higher authority - see Atlanta’s mayor being feed bullshit information and De Blasio’s daughter being doxxed.

No idea how you fix any of it. Police by consent theory would maybe help, but you’d still have many of the same concerns because forces would still be full of racist thugs with guns who routinely get away with literal murder. gently caress they could at least try to read the goddamn room - how much of the violence these past days only kicked off because of police actions? 99% of it, easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Well, you have elected representatives openly calling for war crimes to be committed and now the dickhead emerging from his bunker to threaten military occupation and to signal his 2A buddies. America, you had a good run there for a while, good luck and try not to die.

Also if destroying businesses and property is bad, explain the Boston Tea Party? Or Jesus?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ferremit posted:

feral cats

Same across the ditch. Feral cats and stray cats are not the same thing. They are wild animals that will gently caress you up. No ones adopting them. (Hell no one adopts strays much either for that matter) gently caress, last election one minor party had a total cat ban policy, to protect native wildlife. No, you wouldn’t have to put your cats down, just breeding and replacing would have been illegal. Admittedly this was widely seen as a kooky idea, but not without its merits, ecologically speaking.

Different countries have different ecological priorities and here we try to put natives first, since they’re so vulnerable because of introduced predators.

A great example, in Australia, the brush tailed possum is a protected species. Here in NZ, it’s at the top of the hit list. 1080, the poison used by the cat trap mentioned above, well our Dept of Conservation uses it on possums. They carry M. Bovis which endangers our beef and dairy, they outcompete natives for food AND eat their eggs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

The Door Frame posted:

You're missing the best part of the whole story, 57 other officers of Buffalo's Emergency Response Team quit the team because the police union refused to pay the legal fees of the cops who assaulted him. Granted, they quit the ERT, not resigned from the force... but at least we have cops themselves declaring that it isn't just "a few bad apples", it's a systemic problem where officers will protect anyone with a badge who abuses their power

57 cowards who are happy to quit the ERT in solidarity, but not committed enough to give up their pay cheque over it by quitting entirely.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Godzilla07 posted:

Also I've heard people just leave their convertibles unlocked to prevent the roof from getting slashed by thieves? This seems insane to me.

I had a flat mate who street parked her MR-S in the city who started doing this after getting her roof slashed. The next time....they slashed the roof anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Tomarse posted:

I also don’t understand why anyone needs that much storage on an iPhone? I haven’t managed to fill my 64gb one yet.

For an increasingly large number of people, it’s not just a phone any more, it’s their primary computer. All their photos and 4K videos soon add up, even with the cloud offload stuff.

ISP chat. I’ve got gigabit FTTH (well, they advertise as 900/400 taking into account overheads), but they’ve started 10gbit rollout, starting with 2000/2000 and 4000/4000 plans. NZ$150/$180ish.