Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

orenronen posted:

This has been somewhere on the back of my list of games to sometime play for a while now, and the thread inspired me to fire it up in Japanese and play through this first update doing a line-by-line comparison with the translation.

It's... weird. I'm pretty sure the text was written by a native English speaker - there are choices made here I don't think even a fluent Japanese English speaker would've made unless they were an experienced translator, and if they were I'm pretty sure they'd also be a better writer.

There are several aspects to why this script feels so awkward. First is that, yeah, it's just clumsy writing. The Japanese script won't win awards for prose, but I've read much worse and it does occasionally come up with a nice turn of phrase. The English script, on the other hand, just reads like someone who doesn't really know how to write. More importantly, though, is that it almost looks as if it was under a strict character limit constraints - the translation takes the Japanese text and strips it of almost everything that's not essential to the bare meaning, and sometimes also of stuff that is. It's missing fine details from descriptions and all sorts of nuances that makes a better logical flow between sentences. There are also some real translation mistakes, some of which you pointed out (but I'll add that I'm pretty sure the line with "The vicious growls of animals" actually refers to just one animal - the dog that shows up immediately after it)

My recollection from looking into it is that yeah, the people involved really should have been able to produce a much better translation than this, so the final product is kinda inexplicable. Programming limitations would make sense; the other best guess I had was just total lack of communication in the team, leading to stuff like the voiced lines getting translated twice, proper nouns getting multiple different translations depending on which chapter you're in, etc.

On the latter, I wonder if you could confirm what the main character's organization is named in the original text - it seemed like you could tell how many people were doing translation work by how many different ways it gets translated/mistranslated, and I'm curious if "Fort" is accurate or another character limit restriction or something (I suspect the latter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU