Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Oh man this would make a great tag

Nice job :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

If you have any other notable new releases this month please about post them along with a screenshot and I’ll update the OP

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection: PC (Steam & Origin) - June 5th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMfypQj3k0

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

al-azad posted:

Woo the comments on Sony postponing PS5 announcement, please delete all video games.

There's a good Firefox add-on called Shut Up that just autoblocks all comments sections on every website, solid recommend

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kanfy posted:

The original C&C kind of assumes you play GDI first since there's stuff like a cutscene on the NOD side where Kane talks over a video you were shown on the GDI side. GDI also has the more straightforward easy-to-use power units while NOD has more gimmicks.

GDI and Allies were also Disc 1 in CNC/RA so it definitely expected you to do that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

daermon posted:

Ok, for real this time. Here's a list of every game I own that I want to play and finish. Help me decide which to do first.

Legend of Zelda : Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

Shin Megami Tensai IV and Apocalypse

Radiant Historia

Valkyria Chronicles I and IV

Final Fantasy IX, X and X-2

Dragon Quest XI

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

Leave Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword right til the end

Wind Waker is charming as hell although apparently the end is rough, i never got that far as both times I played it I ended up losing the loving memory card

Radiant Historia is excellent

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

help i swallowed my game gear micro

swallow an atari lynx, that should flush it out

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

We live in very strange times.

It was touch and go for a while but thankfully garfield and pop tarts rescued America when it needed them the most

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ConsoleGamingLG/status/1268336726394777600

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

I sometimes do that but only because I don't want the game to end

Still remember playing the shooting game at the end of Sam & Max and never wanting it to end :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is this game like the first Fallout? The colour pallette reminds me of it.

I should replay Fallout 1 and 2, it's been about 12 years.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Stux posted:

extremely fallout ui in general

theres for sure some fallout influence but theres a lot of differences really. the exploring a map and just stumbling across stuff part is there but there is even more of a "make your own fun/story" to it than fallout. the combat is real time and more automatic and stat based, the game its most like is rimworld? its like if you took rimworld and put it into an old school giant open world rpg

Oh that sounds interesting, cheers!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Started playing Mortal Kombat 11 and man I am bad at this. I have no idea how youre supposed to use the block function or figure out how best to hit someone. Also the terminator seems really slow and lethargic, although I guess it is the old Arnie version so has been programmed to age or something

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

idk about mk11 specifically, but the core of pretty much every fighting game is to hit the other guy when it is safe to do so. "safe" meaning, it being unlikely that they'll hit you in the process or in retaliation. every single technique in fgs comes back to that basic rule at some point, whether you're baiting people out to do things you can take advantage of, or zoning to pressure them in a specific way, or whatever. blocking is also one of those techniques.

the way blocking works in most fgs is that the period of time that players lose control of the characters while performing a move, getting hit by a move, and blocking a move are all different (and vary from move to move). a move that has more recovery frames than it causes in blockstun is "unsafe on block" and as the blocker thats your opportunity to punish and go on the offensive. if you ever hear the term "frame advantage" thats the actual difference in the number of frames of recovery animation vs blockstun, whichever side has advantage on a move has that length of time to act freely. hitstun is always worse than blockstun so very rarely is a move unsafe on hit, meaning if you're going to be hit by a move try to block it and then punish if possible. conversely if you're the attacker, try not to use moves that are unsafe on block if you're in a situation where the other guy is likely to block it

the process of figuring that stuff out is the hard part of fgs, and mostly comes from just observing what people are doing online, reading stuff, and loving around in the training mode until you're comfortable

Wow this is great advice, thanks! :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Fighting games be like that. I've played MK11 for an entire year and I still mess up my inputs all the time + lose to dumb poo poo that I should easily beat. The best thing you can do for yourself is find a character whose buttons feel good to you (or a waifu whom you'll protect no matter what) and get familiar with the principles of frame data and safety on block. There are dozens of youtube guides out there that will teach basic concepts, each character's best strings and combos, etc. The nice thing about MK11 is that there's a large enough playerbase on every platform that ranked will still match you with players around your level, even as a total beginner.

Cool will do, thanks! Only fighting game I ever got good at was Def Jam: Fight for NY but that was in 2004, I doubt I can remember anything about how to play that game now :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Command & Conquer Remastered is extremely good in case anyone was wondering. The first time you load either game (you get CNC1 and RA1 in the package) they have a remixed version of the original installation sequence and it's just :discourse:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

the people want a Renegade remaster

People also wanted mighty no 9 and snakes on a plane

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

a glitch posted:

Was it known that we were getting the installation sequences with the games before it got released? If it was then I didn't know, and it was a nice suprise :allears:

I've been following the updates that EA guy has been posting to Reddit and don't remember hearing anything. Seeing that as the first thing on startup just screams "these guys get it" (tbf I think quite a few people involved worked for Westwood anyway)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Which of the c&c games have fmv actors? Those are the ones I want to play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRIr9MNmCwU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hell of a deal here, also support a good cause!

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Deadly Premonition has an incredible ending in a way that I did not expect. I'd add more in the context of what you've posted but don't want to spoil it!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Finished Maneater in just over 10 hours. Repetitive but charming, good if you can get it for 20bux. Here are the games I've finished so far in 2020, also including DLC:

- Eliza
- Bloodborne
- Doom Eternal
- Control: Foundation
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Streets of Rage 4
- Final Fantasy X
- Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
- Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath
- Maneater

Up Next: IDK

Is Control: Foundation any good? I checked out after the first 30 minutes of fighting cavemen in a sand pit

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It's cool but it's just 3-4 more hours of Control, nothing too incredibly beyond what you get in the base game.

Hmm ok, I enjoyed the main game but the combat got grating towards the end.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

precision posted:

Chrono Trigger is overrated imo

Strange I thought it was pretty much perfect when I first played it in 2010.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

John Romero posted:

hope everyone had a good weekend

why dont we talk more about how fuckin good def jam fight for ny was?

i have been playing the psp version on my vita lately. apparently it's a prequel to def jam vendetta. i bet that one looks good on dolphin.

also, i really love valorant, but it takes too long. overwatch really has that dad-friendly in and out match length

Def Jam: FFNY is my favourite ever fighting game. Unfortunately the GC version didn't look as good as the PS2 or Xbox and missed a few tracks including Mama Said Knock You Out, which was a shame :(

Also the video codec doesn't work very well with Dolphin so it's a tough experience to emulate it seems. No idea how the PS2 version emulates.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Killzone 2 is loving great and seemingly lost to time :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'm glad I now know that chrono trigger is bad and ff13 is good, to think I could have spent the rest of my life uninformed but for checking this thread

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/UKPRES1/status/1270275987767525376

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

homeless snail posted:

big disagree, mechanics are all games have. there's a huge difference in impact in watching a recording of something oppressive happening in a video game and actively participating in it and having a great time doing the atrocities because it's a mirror polished half billion dollar AAA game

this is known as the "open palm slam a tape into the vcr and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character" paradox, aka diesels razor

This is why I am going to watch a LP of TLOU2 instead of actually playing it. Also I don't have a PS4.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

sup

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Nothing much, might fall back asleep soon. I played and finished a metroidvania game from that recent itch.io bundle. The game is called Spooky Ghosts Dot Com and in it you defeat ghosts and monsters and also pet cats. I don't think petting the cats unlocks anything but it is nice to do.

Nice. I'm going to play Tonight We Riot from the same bundle tonight! Also saw that Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass just got added which I heard was pretty good!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

al-azad posted:

Does anybody know why Ubisoft completely disowned Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow? It's not available on any store or collection except you can get the OG Xbox version digitally on Microsoft and the OG PS2 version on PSN.

It was released on PS3 as well. The PC version has some weird shadow glitch on modern GPUs so never got a digital release, although there is a custom patch on pcgamingwiki that fixes it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dewgy posted:

:woop:

Thanks! Just added like, all of their albums to my library. This is right up my alley.

Kids (reprise)
Explorers
The Comeback Kid
Vampires
Los Angeles
Tokyo Night Train
Lonely City
Synthetic (instrumental - just think it works better)

are all personal favourites :)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SeXReX posted:

Actually it's just because it's bad.

The asexual lesbian companion who needs exactly 1 instance if being told "you go girl" to get over her years of trauma is laughably tone-deaf imo

Of course, I only saw that going back on a second playthrough because the game let's you just ignore the breakwater entirely.

This surprises me as I thought Fallout: New Vegas presented its LGBT characters extremely well :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm busy soaking in the tears from this, though...

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1270819350644211719

:bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes::bisonyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yooo Samurai Shodown Neo Geo Collection is free to keep on the Epic Store tomorrow, I've always been terrible at fighting games but SS2 is one of the few I really enjoy so don't miss out!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Oh cool, wonder if that Bloodborne PC port rumour will materialise!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Guess we'll find out if there's any truth to that Silent Hill rumour today?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The entire Samuari Shodown Neo-Geo collection is free for the next week on Epic Game Store.

edit: I WAS WRONG

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 11, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

oh man if the bloodborne pc port is on egs i'll finally get to play celeste

Or you could get the itch.io bundle for racial justice and get celeste and like 1,400 other games for $5+ without needing a launcher at all

edit: nvm, hadn't refreshed the page so missed all the replies saying this! but still get the bundle, it's a class act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i forget, was xiii the no one lives forever guys?

NOLF was by Monolith, who had previously done Blood (loving great game), Blood II (sadly) and SHOGO, and who would go on to make F.E.A.R., Condemned and the Shadow of Mordor games.