Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was the first to vote and i proudly voted bowsette

notable upcoming releases:
Satisfactory (Steam release) - June 8th
Journey (Steam release) - June 11th
Beyond Blue (Endless Ocean-inspired game) - June 11th
Hardspace: Shipbreaker (repair/salvage derelict spaceships) - June 16th
Desperados III - June 16th
David Cage's Trilogy of lovely Games (Steam release) - June 18th
The Outer Wilds (Steam release) - June 18th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i posted the (not) E3 thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925794

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the police quest games are all bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in police quest you get run over if you don't type 'look both ways' first before crossing the street, which sounds like it owns, but following the rules is actually Uncool imo

the only good sierra game is the dagger of amon ra

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i assume nintendo will shadowdrop something else in june too, even if it's just a wii/u port

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they were running simultaneously for a while, it's just that the SCI/AGI games predate Lucasarts

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

weird how nearly every adventure game that's come out in modern days evokes sierra SCI engine aesthetics and not lucasarts huh 🤔
that's because Adventure Game Studio by default used SCI fonts, UI and graphics. adding other interfaces such as SCUMM or verb coin required additional programming/plugins

i don't know if they use generic graphics now but originally roger wilco was the default player character/animations

but there's also sort of a 'default' inertia that happens with AGS games that's not too dissimilar with RPG Maker games. even though there's a lot of plugins for RPG Maker that add other types of battle systems, a lot of games still use the default DQ-style system. it's the same with Dreams, where a lot of high-effort projects still use the default walking/running animations where the character looks like he's always on the verge of falling over

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jun 1, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

with any creation software, if it requires going outside the software to incorporate it, you gotta actually go out and get it and install it.. when the default stuff in the software is right there...

which is why indie platformers in the late 90s were all garbage, because they used the default The Games Factory platforming engine and screen-scrolling

i mean I would probably do the same thing in their shoes, but I also have no interest in programming whatsoever, i am completely alienated by it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chris jones is the AGS Guy, the blue cup man

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did that overseer remake ever come out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

to the vaporware pile with it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultimate guide to getting owned: love bbq/spicy sauces and then have reflux and you can't enjoy sauces anymore

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good loving grief

https://twitter.com/six6jiang/status/1266827363754573826
https://twitter.com/emilybuckshot/status/1267201620359561216

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

a lot of it is mostly in comparison to SQV though, which is one of the finest adventure games in history. 6 is a big step back
the only good thing about 6 was the demo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kotaku writer got held by police in a parkage garage for 14 hours and most likely exposed to COVID

https://twitter.com/Vahn16/status/1267607145744404481
(there's a whole tweet thread)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is like the equivalent of that nickelodeon micro video player that only played clips on cartridges that you had to buy

also how can they not include phantasy star? was that only on master system and never got a GG release?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Oh look a micro-usb port, I sure do hope noone manages to find a way to upload roms to it...

That would be terrible..
Just hack the SNES Mini and put 'em on there instead

actually I think 3DS has game gear as a part of its virtual console and I assume that it would have the only worthwhile games on there already

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's also a TMNT fangame called Rescuepalooza that is modelled after, I think, TMNT3 NES, but with updated SNES-style visuals and of course a bunch of characters and stages

https://www.merso-x.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've mostly played retro games the last month with the occasional steam game

i've crossed the streams by getting the capcom beat 'em up bundle on steam today because there's 4 games on there i haven't finished

i am also playing one of the few frogwares' sherlock games i've never finished (silver earring). it has no amenities like double click to run or double click to exit or a hotspot button, and Holmes just walks everywhere, so it's a slow game to be sure

my beaten game tally on the year is 87 but the total this month so far is.. 2

e: out of curiousity, can you embed a youtube playlist on something awful or not. i was thinking of putting some indie game trailers together into a playlist and then putting the playlist in the Not-E3 thread

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 5, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

“The trees weep,” said Malfer the elzon magician. “They sense a great evil rising in the East”

Frinm Copperbeard stopped in his tracks, his stocky legs trembling. “The prophecy,” he said

Ray Just leaned on his ornate silver greatsword, muscles bulging. “It is time”
i've already read this comic on hypnospace outlaw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wuggles posted:

Wowwwww, a little curation could have gone a long way here
it does have a lot of legit games like Night in the Woods, Oxenfree, Mortician's Tale, A Short Hike, Overland, Tonight We Riot, Super Hexagon, Minit, Sagebrush, Wheels of Aurelia, Midboss, Beglitched, Shipwreck, Cook Serve Delicious 2, The Stillness of the Wind, Wide Ocean Big Jacket, Signs of the Sojourner, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Bleed, The King's Bird, Astrologaster, Super Win the Game, Frog Fractions 2. Double Cross, FutureGrind, Tiny Dangerous Dungeons, Pendula Swing, Xenogunner, and Not the Robots

and it's just $5

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 6, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's some stuff i've never heard of before in the bundle that actually looks kinda neat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fuckin cops are everywhere

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and very gay

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also you get VNs on itch.io that are basically the creator saying "hey, here's the thing i'm into, don't yuck it"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've gone through the first 2 pages of the 8 pages of the bundle and i've downloaded so far:

Beglitched*, Cuckoo Castle, Elena Temple, Fossil Hunters, Semblance, Shipwreck, Task Force Kampas, The Trolley, TimeStone, Village Monsters, Visual Out, Wheels of Aurelia

(* was on my Steam wishlist)

6 pages to go...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SeXReX posted:

The bundle is setup to keep accepting submissions and retroactively add them to people who purchased it and there are 150 submissions not included yet so it's a good chance by the end of the weekend there will be over a thousand projects included and should serve as a really good way to dip your toes into whats available on itch imo
yeah i kind of expect a few more high profile games to hop on, as well as some of those games that only show up in an itch.io search after you've scrolled down 50 pages

two more pages through the bundle and I still have 4 to go.. I've now added to my folder: Hellstar Squadron, Astrologaster, 10S, Qavo, Retromancer, Big Kaiju Battel: Fighto Fantasy, The King's Bird, Word Forward, Knights of the Card Table, FutureGrind, The Rainsdowne Players, Hair Dash, Tiny Dangerous Dungeons*, Retrace, Beacon, Reky, Bit Rat

I think I'll need to install GOG Galaxy on this laptop just for this folder alone lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok, got to the end, the last batch i added to my folder: Tonight We Riot, Xenogunner, Pendula Swing*, Dogs Throwing Swords 2, Wishing Sarah, Noise1, Frog Fractions 2, My Rabbits Are Gone, Penance, MythBearer, Signs of the Sojourner, Ring of Fire prologue*, Gun Rounds, Skeletris, Eatgirl, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Super Bernie World (idk), Mutiny Island, And All Would Cry Beware, The Danger Crew, Mable and the Wood

all in all, like 4+ dozen games i was interested in trying, so like. crazy loving bundle for sure

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nuclear throne, octodad dadliest catch, and sky rogue are getting added to the bundle soon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SeXReX posted:

I'm pretty sure that puts me firmly into double digits for the number of times I've bought nuclear throne lmao
ya i got it from the ACLU bundle i think??

i wouldn't be surprised if another 250-300 games end up in the bundle by this time next week. when people were doing the free giveaways for stay-at-home a couple of months ago, more and more devs kept joining in and i think this'll be a similar situation. i think there were over 100 in the queue at the moment

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks like Boreal Tales was submitted on the forums https://boreal-tenebrae.itch.io/boreal-tales

Hardcoregaming101 submited one of their books

Temmie submitted her mini-game that toby fox did music for. Underhero was submitted which is a platforming rpg that was in Humble Choice a couple of months ago. dujanah which was that bizarre claymation game. Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass was submitted if you want to be depressed by a game. and for a blast from the past, The Real Texas, that game that never got out of Steam Greenlight

Runner 3 was submitted. Master Spy was submitted, that was a decent game, kinda like arcadey stealth, probably meant to be speedrun but i don't speedrun. Hidden Paws which i played on steam, it's basically just "look around and find all the cats". and Lenna's Inception gently caress yea

dannyb submitted some of his soundtracks

e: organizing the post a little

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 6, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm wondering how they will handle the first update to the bundle, if they'll just be tacked on to the end of the list or if they'll be sprinkled in throughout the existing pages (ugh please no)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the first itchio bundle game i tried, and i liked it a lot, was mythbearer

https://jc-bailey.itch.io/myth-bearer

it's apparently inspired by tower of the sorcerer an old win3.1 game. it takes the 'desktop dungeons' approach to a puzzle-box RPG and expands it to a zelda-style overworld, where every enemy kill/gold pickup/chest open is permanent, and so you have to strategize the best way to level up by wandering around and finding ideal combat scenarios. much like desktop dungeons, you click on an enemy to attack and they attack back, it happens on the click.. and you can get spells in the back half of the game that let you freeze enemies or negate damage for a turn

i beat it in 5 hours and liked it.. the main two issues are that the music is extremely repetitive, and there's no real way to have a 'perfect' no-death run without having prior knowledge of where all the enemies are. the game could probably stand to use a randomizer, although it apparently added a ng+ that's harder.

so that makes 2 entire 2020 games that i've beaten this year lol.

e: other 2020 games in this bundle I wanna try out: Village Monsters which looks a bit awkward visually but seems like it might be charming, Xenogunner, and DOGS THROWING SWORDS II

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 8, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hey, if you like this, immediately jump on the demo of Tactical Nexus. This is another title also inspired by TotS and its... Very much more involved, with a score attack function that makes successive runs more lucrative and adds to an overall development which teaches you to replay old towers in new ways. Devs are still making more levels, each adding new puzzles and tools, with the 5th chapter being out this week if I recall.
I'll definitely wishlist it, but yeah it looks a lot more involved, like basically a non-casual implementation of the concept

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xenogunner was dope. it is basically a sega genesis Treasure game, a boss rush inspired by Alien Soldier but cuter and maybe not AS hard

it did have one bullshit boss that took me at least an hour to beat (xeno egg) waaaggghhhhhhh

but I give it a solid A- grade and it'll probably be in my top 10 2020 at the end of the year

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've posted e3 threads every year and this year's (for all the E3-esque events this month) is easily the least viewed of all-time and no one is posting in it. which isn't a 'woe is me' thing, it's more, lol no one gives a poo poo about future video games right now

(maybe they should've made ps1-ps3 BC, cowards)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Weedle posted:

didn't someone link a list a couple of days ago of the best/most notable games in the itch bundle?
Night in the Woods, Oxenfree, Mortician's Tale, A Short Hike, Overland, Tonight We Riot, Super Hexagon, Minit, Sagebrush, Wheels of Aurelia, Midboss, Beglitched, Shipwreck, Cook Serve Delicious 2, The Stillness of the Wind, Wide Ocean Big Jacket, Signs of the Sojourner, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Bleed, The King's Bird, Astrologaster, Super Win the Game, Frog Fractions 2, Double Cross, FutureGrind, Tiny Dangerous Dungeons, Pendula Swing, Xenogunner, Myth Bearer

and soon Sky Rogue, Octodad Dadliest Catch, Nuclear Throne, Lenna's Inception

stev posted:

The PS4 was announced with a shitload of new features that made the console more accessible and brought it up to date with the age of Twitter and streaming. I'm honestly struggling to think of what the new consoles could add feature-wise at this point.
the biggest thing the PS5 is adding is an SSD drive

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember HD Rumble

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SeXReX posted:

being able to tell what fish I have in animal crossing from the feel of the rumble alone slaps
is that something that is only possible with hd rumble though, it just seems like "small rumble" or "BIG RUMBO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's going to be a new metal slug but it's probably going to suck