Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The 7th Guest posted:

the police quest games are all bad

All sierra games are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

homeless snail posted:

all but one of the space quests, all of the quest for glories, and maybe half of the kings quests and police quests are Incredibly Good

Lucasarts all the way you sierrinfidel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

they usually do that for translations because going for the actual japanese regional stuff wouldnt translate but ace attorney goes real hard with it which is why this comic exists

The localisation developed lore that certain anti-asian immigration policies were never made law in their version of the US, so there are huge clusters of Japanese immigrants on the west coast that preserved their culture in "Little Tokyo" style communities.

Also I rewatched the Ace Attorney live action movie recently and it is not very good. It feels like the film version of a "lore recap" youtube video, where you don't get to know any characters or understand the larger meaning of the events.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm too old to remember that, honestly. I used my allowance to rent games when I was young. I did have a phase where I'd dumpster dive the used games section of EB Games when I was in my early 20s, but that was my retail job money.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

i think thats how i ended up with goemon 64 which i played a ridiculous amount considering i didnt have the memcart and couldnt save

Goemon 64 holds a special place in my heart because it's one of those games where you can tell they were still figuring out 3D so there's gigantic stretches of nothing because they were trying for semi realistic distances between points of interest, but it's still really fun and funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is why Sega stopped making consoles. They're bad at it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Which pokemon is a cop

I'm gonna say Snubble. That's a fuckin cop

Growlithe and Arcanine canonically help the cops.

Mankey/primeape is probably also a cop

Just look at him. An enraged pig-man flexing his muscles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We live in very strange times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

univbee posted:

Here's a fun Twitter thread about the provenance of the GIF the thread title is from.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1002735322948440064?s=20

Streets of Rage Remake is one of the best fan games ever made and a truly amazing Beat-em-up in its own right. It was a huge dick move from Sega to C&D it after giving the creator permission to make it years before.

Speaking of fan games of beloved Beat-em-up franchises, there's a guy working on a Double Dragon fan game called Ultimate Double Dragon, and he got the original artist who did the pixel art for Super Double Dragon to do the graphics for it.

https://twitter.com/food2han/status/1268066131509571584

https://twitter.com/food2han/status/1262615057373859846

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

there's also a TMNT fangame called Rescuepalooza that is modelled after, I think, TMNT3 NES, but with updated SNES-style visuals and of course a bunch of characters and stages

https://www.merso-x.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-rescue

Rescuepalooza is very cute and detailed and packed with references and callbacks to the 80s cartoon and the comics, I just wish it played more like either the arcade game or TMNT IV, because TMNT3's combat is pretty one dimensional.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yeah that was pretty embarrassing. I don't understand how their community manager managed to completely overlook researching the site beforehand, especially since they claimed to not even know what 4chan was, so they just kinda blindly decided this would be a good idea on a site they had no exposure to.

It wasn't a mistake, multiple people warned them what 8chan was and they just blew them off. It was a deliberate tactic for attention and to court awful people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

It's-a me, Mario! And I'm here to talk to you about the damaging effects of stereotypes and racism on our society.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked in the real FF7 how you don't actually see him for a long time, all you see is this ridiculous trail of carnage he's left in his wake. Then you learn his trademark tragic backstory. And then you finally confront him and he's a loving weirdo idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Chrono Trigger is overrated imo

Unless it's number 1 on every list it's still massively underrated, sorry about your bad taste OP.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

pikamee

Hopes to get a movie deal

Pika me? Pika you!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What's some good DS games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Looper posted:

what kind of games do you like

Beat-em-ups, point and click detective games, platformers, metroidvanias, strategy games, snes jrpgs that don't have voice acting, survival horror, weird gimmick poo poo for idiots.

I've already played every Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick and also Disgaea (I do not want more Disgaea). And the Castlevanias on DS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective a bazillion times

e: play it again

I already played it 4 times!!!!!!

Gripweed posted:

Phoenix Wright
The World Ends with You
Trace Memory
Professor Layton
The Pokemon Games (if you like Pokemon games)

I own or have played all of these. Well, I've played all of them except pokemon because I bought those when I was playing through yellow and silver again and having a great time, then I tried moving up one gen and lost all interest and never bothered with the DS ones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

Dragon's Dogma is not very similar to souls

That's why it's good!!!!!

BOOYAH

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Wow what happened

Oh no.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stux posted:

oh really huh

Sparkledog lookin rear end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If sackboy was yarn he'd be 10x cuter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Makeup helps you get laid, in-game cosmetics do not (afaik)

Jayrdon PeteRuston

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That tweet is like when people talk about mcmansions and say "COLUMNS NEXT TO AN ARCH! WINDOWS FACING SOUTHWEST ON THE EAST COAST! HORIZONTAL ROOF TILES" and everyone pretends those words matter and make sense as objective criticism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

I love w101 but it's honestly real bad at showing you how to play it

That's every Platinum/Clover game and it's why they usually get poo poo reviews (relative to their quality) and low sales. People go in wanting God of War or Halo and instead it's this thing that wants you to play completely differently than those but doesn't ever let you know that.

At least 2 of their games have the parry mechanic as a crucial basic mechanic the entire game is built around, but they make you buy it instead of putting it in your basic moveset.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anyway W101 is fun enough and it's certainly a big colorful adventure, but I never vibed with the combat the way I did in other Platinum titles, I'd rather just replay MGR.

stev posted:

I'd argue that Bayo 1 and 2 and MGRR do a good job of teaching you the mechanics. They're easily the most 'intuitive' Platinum games. Astral Chain had the opposite problem in that it spends about 10 hours teaching you the basic combat mechanics.

In the MGR tutorial, the professor tells you to parry by pressing the stick "in the direction of the enemy's attack" which is the opposite of how it works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barudak posted:

My memory is basically every post on every gaming forum and strategy guide started with "push forward, towards the enemy to parry their attack and also buy offensive defense in the shop" because it was such a point of confusion and why the gently caress is the dodge move an optional purchase?

FirstAidKite posted:

How does it work? I can imagine that just being poor writing on their part since that could be interpreted as "tilt the stick towards the enemy" or "tilt in the direction the enemy is attacking"

Yeah it's just bad writing. Other than those points the game is pretty good at showing you what it expects of you, but that is the loving backbone of the entire engine and they worded it ambiguously. And that's one of their more accessible games!!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Smack down your vote on this important issue

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

what platinum should do is port viewtiful joe to steam and then whatever that’s all i really want from them at this point

Wish Capcom would let em make VJ3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Cats are pretty cool

They are majestic creatures.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the Millennium Tower a real place

No. That's why there's a whole game about it getting built.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/KateDrawsComics/status/1274454039946805249

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SeXReX posted:

anyway back to funny things generated by the AI that doesn't know what a black people is
https://twitter.com/davemakes/status/1274291405410598913

That thing's definitely going to be used to identify protesters in the immediate future so I would recommend against giving it more data.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My dad's been moved into a permanent care facility this week. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

My condolences. I'm sorry that you and your family have to go through this.

Is there anything in particular we the chat thread can do for you?

Thank you but there is nothing to be done. He's going to get the best possible care and his savings + my family's combined income will more than cover it. It's just really sad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

homeless snail posted:

oh great is alf cancelled now

All I can tell you for sure is that everyone who worked on the show hated the Alf guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Baller Time posted:

Wasn't everyone at the show super miserable in general?

Yes, largely because of the Alf guy. The show was also dangerous to work on because of the puppeteer trap doors built on the set, which caused several injuries when people stepped on them and they broke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm still really sad that Strafe turned out to suck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I’d like to read an essay about the link between fandoms and capitalism

They're the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

The problem is I only want to join *one* discord, not one for every major thread I read :/ Hopefully this sorts itself out sooner than later and the community coalesces around a permanent home

Any solution would involve the mods making a new site, there's really no mechanism to push Lowtax out.