Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hi y'all, it's me, the person who usually does the Road to E3 threads. well, a few things have happened since last june:

- ESA accidentally doxxed everyone who went to E3 the last several years
- a virus forced everyone indoors right when animal crossing came out. COINCIDENCE??????
- multiple cities are now on fire
- i got a turbografx16 mini and neo geo mini and have been playing them non-stop until the roof caves in on me

so even if E3 were to happen, I wouldn't be able to put in the usual (slight) effort to make a big thread with lots of, well, the same GIFs from E3 2009 and 2010 because E3 hasn't really been funny since then. but now there's no E3, and no Cash, and no Jobs.

all those ancient E3 memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain. time to (far) cry

BUT THERE ARE STILL EVENTS:

pictured above: 5 year old E3 GIFs that still work for some reason, all of them from ubisoft

June 11th
Playstation 5 "The Future of Gaming" Presentation -- 1 PM PT/4 PM ET
We've seen the wall-e rear end controller, we watched mark cerny talk for 2 hours about nerd poo poo no one even understands, but what about ~the games~. that time is now apparently, where we will see some games maybe. or just some pre-rendered trailers since COVID is keeping every programmer cooped up in their bedrooms staring at their phone looking at social media waiting for death.

June 13th
Guerilla Collective Live - 9 AM PT/NOON ET
A showcase of various developers, focused primarily on indie teams. it's being hosted by Kinda Funny Games' greg miller, so expect a lot of........................ humor. There will also be a livestream running across three days, it sounds like.

Publishers/developers confirmed for Guerilla Collective Live: Larian Studios, 11bit, Funcom, Paradox, Nightdive, a lot of indies

The PC Gaming Show -- NOON PT/3 PM ET
Day9's event, which is probably the event least likely to change in today's current climate, because his event was already just quiet interviews with developers on couches followed by trailers. so I would expect the exact same thing but over a Zoom call.

Publishers/developers confirmed for PC Gaming Show: 2K, Atlus, DONTNOD, Frontier, Humble Games, Merge, Perfect World, Rebellion, Sega, Tripwire, XSEED and others.

The Future Games Show -- 2 PM PT/5 PM ET
This is an hour long event run by GamesRadar, so I'm not sure if this will be all that special.. but it exists on the schedule. Nolan North is apparently hosting this, he's already in every game so he might as well.

Publishers/developers confirmed for Future Games Show: Square-Enix, Devolver Digital, Deep Silver, Raw Fury, TinyBuild, Hi-Rez Studios, Curve Digital

June 18th
EA Play Live 2020 -- 4 PM PT/7 PM ET
Every year the least necessary E3-adjacent event continues to not die. Last year's wasn't even a proper event and they talked about Sims 4 a lot, a game that had already been out for a while. EA just got another 5 year exclusive deal with the NFL for reasons I can't fathom other than incumbance. i don't even know what they're working on outside of sports. jedi fallen order DLC? battlefront 6? idk. they should bring back B.O.B. from the Sega Genesis. have i made this reference before??? i am definitely losing my mind.

June 22nd
Summer Game Fest -- 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
This is Geoff Keighley's event, but due to COVID he can't have his best friend Boogie "nazi medical experimentation was a silver lining of the holocaust" 2988 on the stream with him. he has been doing Steam game demo festivals for indie games, will this be the first time AAA developers get in on it? the event description mentions both indie and AAA games will be shown.

June 23rd
New Game+ Expo -- 8 AM PT/11 AM ET
Another showcase of various developers, will include Sega, SNK, Wayforward, Koei Tecmo, Natsume. Wayforward released Shantae 5 to just about zero fanfare, so I would assume their next game is something licensed... maybe this time they won't hitch their wagons to a dead-on-arrival franchise like The Universal Classic Monsters Cinematic Universe.

July 12th
Ubisoft Forward -- 12 PM PT/3 PM ET
Ubisoft was the only fun event at E3s and now COVID and social distancing has made that impossible. i guess technically they could have people in animal suits together in a room if the suits keep the air particles trapped inside, and gently caress, that would be miserable. the big game for Ubisoft this year is Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which is the third game in their Witcher 3 knockoff trilogy. maybe they have another Nintendo collaboration coming??

July 20th
Summer Games Fest Pt. 2 -- TBA

August 27th
Gamescom Opening Night Live (more Geoff Keighley) -- TBA

--

And so it made sense to me to still do a thread this year, to keep discussion all in one place, because (A) I suspect discussion will be a lot more muted this year, on account of (B) the 'events' will be much tamer and ordinary without stage presence due to COVID, and (C) there's not a lot of publicity going on with these events aside from the Sony presentation.

So this is gonna be a very different year and a very different kind of thread... we're not going to see people in giraffe and panda suits getting on one knee in memoriam of those killed by police brutality, we're not going to see acted out skits of people pretending that motion controls or VR are so immersive it's like they're really in the game, and we're mostly going to see people in their living rooms Skyping with game developers in other rooms and then showing trailers.

I'll be around, maybe, depends on whether the city I live in gets completely destroyed. When events happen, I'm sure twitch links will go here, or they'll just get posted on the most recent page.

Thanks for stopping by! Be nice and chill, I know everyone's stir-crazy but let's not tear each other apart in a shark-like frenzy because every game 'looks like dogshit' or your favorite console is getting mocked or whatever.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Sony event has been postponed, for obvious reasons. Probably only by a week, which would put it on the same day as EA's event but earlier.

That said, we may be a few days away from Doom 2 becoming real life, so events might get delayed further.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The PC Gaming Show's been delayed to the 13th.

Sega's 'big announcement' was "fog computing" to extend their japanese arcade centers to the home gamer, nothing that really impacts us Americans. They also announced a Game Gear Micro that is too small to even play on and only comes with 4 games per unit at a ~$50 MSRP. Sega and hardware continue to be water and oil.

I don't think a new date for Sony's event has been announced yet.. but it seems like there won't be any events this week, and events next week might get pushed back as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks for the update, I've updated the OP. I guess we're still waiting on a new date for Sony's thing?

e: EA Play Live has been delayed to the 18th.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 5, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

We now have an official new date for the Sony PS5 conference: this Thursday. Microsoft pulled out of June for now but might just be waiting to see what Sony's conference is like before announcing theirs.

Atlus will be presenting something at the PC Gaming Show, of course everyone wants it to be Persona 5 but atlus doesn't really give PC gamers what they 'want', per se

Here was Guerilla Collective's special presentation for BLM showcasing black creators/developers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrHDArG8Cm8

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 8, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IGN is doing a three day stream of various upcoming games that went live today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GP6g5m_P7w

As a reminder, Sony's event is tomorrow!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Here is the stream for the PS5 event:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuLci-lSeCo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope they have a fake stage like they did for Cerny's nerdy PS5 tech video from a couple of months ago

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i love watching footage of 5 year old games, gets me HiiiYYPED

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow people will be rich in bullshit IAP currency

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

do a spiderverse game isntead

but without the idiot that voiced miles in the movie because he's a sunken place moron

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is not real pod racing

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rachette

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

actually i guess they'll probably name her Rachel

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

new IP is good, as long as Square doesn't decide later "actually uh this is Final Fantasy now lol"

e: can't wait to play cat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh did housemarque give up on the battle royale? good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol of course they licensed another go team song for this

making it like Mario 3D World is the only way to actually make LBP interesting to me again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just what destruction derby/twisted metal games needed: overwatch characters

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this looks really high budget for an indie studio

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a game full of people's OCs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finally a finger gun game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i bet when Mark Cerny told Randy Pitchford about the magic of the PS5 he got very confused when there weren't any 18 year olds faking an orgasm in the gameplay footage

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they waited a while to show the GOTY for 2021

e: oh it's not a full sequel to rescue mission :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm surprised sony hasn't tried to cram VR into this event somewhere

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gripweed posted:

VR was a fad
the Quest is still selling like crazy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh, did Elden Ring manage to escape vaporware

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh, there's the Bluepoint remaster

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deathloop should be cool, but it being GAAS/multiplayer... idk

maybe if it has a singleplayer only mode

like, Bethesda remembers Brink right?? and Arkane's games don't exactly sell super great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Wait what, it's not singleplayer? Oh gently caress off, goddammit.
i'm actually not sure. I think at one point it was going to be 'players pick a side'. and they were hiring people with GAAS and online knowledge

but that trailer looked pretty singleplayer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more Horizon means more Lance Reddick hell yea

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, nothing about it struck me as multiplayer so when you said it had no singleplayer it seemed kind of insane. I really, really hope they don't make it a multiplayer game.
maybe they were hiring for some other project that got canned, I'd be fine with that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the playstation Wii

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol no PSVR in the final hardware lineup, it's dead

no Elden Ring either, that's vaporware imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Andrast posted:

Why would it be vapoware? FROM did not stop developing games.
if george rr martin has to come up with ideas for it then it'll never be finished

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here is The Escapist's Indie game showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJ-7fdoLjM

REMEMBER YAHTZEE guys???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God, yeah I'll turn that poo poo off immediately and just enjoy the game.
Yeah that's perfectly reasonable. Alright I'm fully on board now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Today is EA Play 2020... it's in 3 hours... it's EA though so like..... it's not like you're gonna see much in the way of excitement here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Ow-M-1K_c

with covid you're not even going to get snoop dogg

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there is also an Ubisoft conference on the 12th, which is going to be a shitshow probably because of the scandals going on at the company, but they'll show off far cry 6 and hope everyone forgets about the sexpests they just fired

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, here's the last super major event of the summer, the xbox series x game showcase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HnB7wz0UE

it's gonna be purely about games and not about hardware, although xbox removed yearly gold subscriptions so they may be merging gold with gamepass (and xcloud) into an all-in-one subscription... that could get discussed today

halo infinite is obviously being shown. and i would guess several indies, and third party games you've seen in other events this summer. xbox isn't really the console of exclusives. honestly you could just treat this as a pc gaming show because it'll all be there too

starts in 30min

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Probably a good 50% of games shown are timed exclusives and will be on ps4 too.

But I'll be watching since I've got a Xbox one x with gamepass so I'm looking forward to stuff I can play got free.
yeah i'm sure they'll shadowdrop something on gamepass and also have a roadmap for future stuff like they did back in december

re-embedding for new page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HnB7wz0UE