Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

When I was in Lafayette last year, I took a trip to the Tabasco factory, and they had a lot of varieties that I hadn't seen before and haven 't seen since. One of them is a roasted pepper hot sauce, and I find that a little drizzle of it off to the side makes a nice dipping sauce if the seasoning of your steak is lacking. Also, when it's not lacking. I don't use it for every bite, but a few here and there.

Also, Andria's steak sauce is great, but that might just be a St. Louis thing. I only use it for certain cuts, like sirloin, that really take well to sauce. (Better cuts don't need any sauce.) It also works well as a basting sauce for pork chops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Montreal steak spice really should be part of this conversation

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Miso Beno posted:

I'd flip the 249 and 240 tho. Unless we're accounting for the big chongus factor.

Agreed for operation from fixed site or vehicle, but carrying a 240 fuckiní sucks.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

The only sauce that belongs on a steak is hollandaise with crab meat. The asparagus tips can gently caress off, though.

Before you double down on this, now that you live here, you should go to Saylers Old Country Kitchen and try their steak sauce. Their steaks are good, if not great. But their sauce is amazing on any and all meat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The original steak sauce for fancy restaurants is a generous pad of butter melted on top before serving, often advertised as just a juicy steak.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

CainFortea posted:

Before you double down on this, now that you live here, you should go to Saylers Old Country Kitchen and try their steak sauce. Their steaks are good, if not great. But their sauce is amazing on any and all meat.

When the apocalypse is over, Iíll take any recommendations you have. Iím woefully ignorant of the cool poo poo in Portland.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/jerkwheatery/status/1278112190621536257?s=21

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gonna have to incorporate that into next quarter's training.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

if your steak needs sauce your doing your steak wrong

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

if your steak needs sauce your doing your steak wrong

I agree.

Unless itís hollandaise.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A good steak with whole cream fancy butter and some sea salt on it is all the sauce you need.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

When the apocalypse is over, Iíll take any recommendations you have. Iím woefully ignorant of the cool poo poo in Portland.

You can get their sauce in a little jar and I think they'll treat it like takeout, so it's as safe to get as any other food item. More since you can just disinfect the jar.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

mischief posted:

A good steak with whole cream fancy butter and some sea salt on it is all the sauce you need.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wucj-cHGTw4

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

The only sauce that belongs on a steak is hollandaise with crab meat. The asparagus tips can gently caress off, though.

Oscar style was always amazing. I miss eating red meat.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

This much talk about sauces for steaks and not one of you has mentioned making a pan sauce from the fond left behind by your steak? SMDH.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm strictly a salt/pepper man myself, but I don't judge how another person takes their steak.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

I'm strictly a salt/pepper man myself, but I don't judge how another person takes their steak.

i just dont want my steak served overcooked and covered in whale cum ya'll do what you wanna do

still mad about the last steak i had in nyc

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Truffle butter my dudes.

Akion
May 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Miso Beno posted:

i just dont want my steak served overcooked and covered in whale cum ya'll do what you wanna do

still mad about the last steak i had in nyc

Look man, that's how the French do steak.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Saylor's sauce has some kind of cream and liquid smoke and garlic. You don't slather it, but it makes a good extra dip. Also good on vegies you cook with steak

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sorry I'm late nerds, but Karl Gustav>Mk48>*

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

If there is sauce on a steak somebody made some bad life choices and needs to break out a goddamn weegee board to apologize to that steer for wasting its contribution to the Circle Of Life. The only acceptable sauce adjacent to a steak is fond from the cast iron pan the steak was seared in, deglazed with whiskey and possibly a bit of butter.

tangy yet delightful posted:

This is very good and should be watched.

edit: to elaborate, a Downfall caption of the recent Lowtax events
that's fukken byootiful

I wish it were possible to send a telegram to Hell so The Austrian Corporal could see just how ridiculous and pathetic every decent and normal Human in the world thinks he is.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Seasoned salt and Worcestershire makes a real good rub, flavors the outside without destroying the steak flavor

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Captain Log posted:

I see you've misspelled "ketchup."

Kidding. That's gross.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Is it? Has anyone actually tried it?

In my youth, I used steak sauce all the time. Sure, it was mainly because I could only afford poo poo steak and also I didn't know better, but the lowest-rent sauce I ever used was County Bob's.

I don't eat steak very often anymore because calories, so when I do, it's usually ribeye or KC strip, and the few times I do get sauce, it's tarragon butter. Or for sirloin, skirt, or flank, maybe something spicy on the side for a few bites.

But I have never actually tried ketchup.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Seasoned salt and Worcestershire makes a real good rub, flavors the outside without destroying the steak flavor

The best beef marinade is half worschester and half soy sauce. Vacuum marinate for 12 minutes. The crispy bits on the sides are really flavorful.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Truffle butter my dudes.

Argument time - Truffle oil is bullshit.

Most people in the industry know ďtruffleĒ anything is a ruse to make you pay more. Even Ramsay says it has, ďthe taste of absolutely nothing.Ē If you want to catch a place either high on their own bullshit with a 24 year old culinary student in the back, or trying to charge double for something, look for the truffle anything.

Legit truffles are so expensive Iíve never tasted them. I think the are worth about 6k a kilo.

(Not making GBS threads on you, robot. Butter on steak tastes amazing)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

infrared35 posted:

Also, the One True AR is the RO635.

They are p. cool except for breaking small parts.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Ok so from this post I can tell you are probably a SE OG and not a transplant. What hood did you grow up in?

For those that don't know, Saylers is the "working class nice" steakhouse on the East side of Portland. They serve spumoni ice cream for desert. It's no Ruth's Chris, and it ain't trying to be. Just a good solid steak joint. You can get a 2 pound steak there last I checked. And he's right about the sauce as long as you get it on the side.

I like my steak seasoned with salt and pepper, and then fried in butter and garlic. Served drowning in butter with horseradish on the side.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Hey.

Look at this. I did this.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shima Honnou posted:

Hey.

Look at this. I did this.

Those are loving excellent. Seriously.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Was going for a frothy beer look with those. I think I nailed the amber color (mixed two separate dyes to produce that), the froth layer needs work though. I've got a much faster curing resin on the way and that'll go a long way towards being able to mimic that kind of layering since it means not waiting like 24 hours for it. Need produce a better mold as well, that one's great but it's not perfect since it produces a lip that I have to either cut or work off and I think I can do better.

Fun fact about silicone, it's so accurate at cloning the look of something that in my first molds I had three different levels of shine. The parts that were from the original metal dice I used as masters, and then the faces where I had to sand and polish to get some glue off from an accident, and then the bits in between. In my first test cast you could clearly see all of those levels of shine. I ended up spending like 8 hours carefully setting my masters from shiny gold to mirror shine in-the-white as can be seen here when I was preparing for the second part of this mold cast.

I imagine if I got a new set of metal dice that were brushed and I did nothing to them they would clone the striations from the brushed finish. Likewise a more worn finish could produce stone-like dice. Silicone picks up even the slightest scratch, it's frankly kind of amazing.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 1, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Do you have any sort of vacuum chamber setup? I've never managed to make anything out of resin and not have it come out as a bubbly mess.

drat, those dice look delicious.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

I bought a cheap* high pressure paint tank and some fittings and converted it. I literally use a bike air pump to pump it up to pressure and an old Scooby Doo frisbee as a solid, flat base inside of it. Note that you could easily make a pressure system out of PVC pipes on the super-cheap, and it could honestly hold pressure better than a dedicated system - my tank is rated for a max of around 65-70 PSI before the silicone seal will leak (I've got a safety valve preset to 50 PSI on it, and I pump it to around 45 PSI; any higher and it slowly leaks down to 45 PSI, probably from the safety valve), whereas you could take a PVC pipe setup probably all the way to the max pressure rating of your compressor if you wanted to since most compressors won't go to the actual pressure limit of PVC pipe of virtually any size.

*$90

As a tip if you don't want to do pressure for some reason, use a heat gun. Silicone is rated for like 600F so heat gunning it won't harm it. Fire, as a chemical reaction, could though, so avoid using a lighter. Give me a minute to go into the murderbasement for a picture. There's a buddy cricket down in my crafts corner who likes trying to jump on my feet while I'm working to freak me out.

E:
Here's the results of my first cast. I used K-cups taken from work (nobody else drinks the mocha anyway so I took a bunch and slicing them open to get at the instant mix inside to drink it at home, then realized K-cups are almost the right size for a die mold; used toothpicks and 2 liter lids but it's not an effective reservoir). I mixed two drops of black dye with a generic black pigment powder I got on the cheap from China, which ended up having dark glitter in it which you can only see when you expose the dice to light. As well, because of the dye, they're VERY VERY VERY slightly translucent, you need to get them under bright light to see but they are. It's a nice enough color combo that I wrote it down in my notebook dedicated to color recipes (I'm keeping very meticulous notes across multiple notepads, so that in 100 years the protagonist can find them to flesh out the world a little bit in the ruins). Unfortunately, the huge, flat reservoir created by pop lids isn't effective, and those molds were poorly cut open so there's also wicked mold marks. Note that you can vaguely see the brush strokes of the original metal finish on the 70 face of the percentile. Or it might be fingerprint. I'm not sure. But it picked up one of those two.

Here's the dice after the first casting when I removed the remaining glue from sticking the toothpicks on as well as buffing out the scratches from cutting open the molds. Note that you can clearly see where I've sanded and polished, and this difference in look/texture DOES transfer to silicone molds. Also note that silicone got into two of the pop lids and made perfect pop lid interior imprints.

My second silicone cast, I used clear cups and drew on them the lines to cut, as well as using a more classic sprue of "just hot glue the loving things to something tiny", which is a lame method that sucks rear end for producing quality results, but I was annoyed by the first cast. The cut lines worked well, but when I measured volume and calculated it all out I failed to include the lost resin from the pouring and mixing process, and, well, you'll see. I also experimented, using "just a fuckload of glitter" for it, because I happened to buy a fuckload of one specific look of glitter. Because of the problem that happened of not adding excess to the calculations, I didn't even bother cutting them well or anything, I just sheared the whole sprute straight off instead of actually taking time to preserve the sharpness.

This brings me to now, the promised pictures of my setup.

When I said I have a lot of that gold holo glitter, I mean it. Can't argue with results, though. Look at them sparkles on my cured stirring butter knife.

Bonus: some pictures of the process of making the third mold with a third style of mold. It's not perfect, I think I can do better (for example I think I can devise a way, based on watching industrial videos, to make it so there's no silicone cleanup needed during the second phase around the dice faces, which not doing a 100% perfect job on that is how my beer dice have minor lips that I had to spend some time working out of each die; also, using something other than a decade-old I Can't Believe It's Not Butter tub would help with waste but it was the only container I had on hand that felt strong enough to pressurize, was something I'd be willing to destroy if needed, and had a nearly perfectly flat inside base to work with). Note that the lettering of the mold picked up the dark color of the sanded+polished metal that got into the lettering and didn't get flushed out when I was cleaning them with alcohol after I finished polishing. Sanding and polishing was like an 8 or 10 hour process, BTW, I forget if I mentioned that but it bears repeating.

I believe if I laid down wide double-sided tape and then pressed the dice to that, it would prevent any silicone from leeching in to the open face, meaning no cutting needed meaning no possible gently caress-ups while cutting that permanently produce slight problems, as well as something that would minimize the lip since it would be effectively perfectly formed. Alternatively, I might use some of the remaining silicone I have to just do a test pour and see if the metal dice are on their own heavy enough to remain face-down without silicone leeching into the face.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 1, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shima Honnou: The Once and Future Honey Dice King of Detroit

Those look loving awesome. Is this a new business venture or just a hobby?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

First one then the other. High quality handmade dice sets can easily go for $50 to $100, but mostly I just want to do it.

Like, I spent two hours tonight cutting, polishing, and inking those beer dice and time flew like loving nothing with just some music going. It's fun, not like work or whatever.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 1, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

But did you test them to ensure randomness?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

But did you test them to ensure randomness?

That thread was a fantastic train wreck. Didnít it have to get moved to the mod forum after the guy who posted it got in major poo poo for it?

Todayís the tenth anniversary of me regging for this site. drat time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That thread was a fantastic train wreck. Didn’t it have to get moved to the mod forum after the guy who posted it got in major poo poo for it?

Today’s the tenth anniversary of me regging for this site. drat time flies.
Seriously one of the top 10 threads of all time.

And cyranno explained it once and I think it was fear of doxxing and pissing off the company/boss.