Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Dick Burglar posted:

Replying to a post from the May thread:

Yes, I'm wearing a gi and hakama, like this:

(Not me)

I only have a simple utilitarian practice outfit; I don't have a dressy set, yet. One day!

I have accepted my turbo-goon status and I figure I might as well enjoy what I enjoy, rather than feel guilty about enjoying a goofy hobby.

The moment you learn to give zero fucks and do you is a beautiful moment.

This phrase saying has always stuck with me, paraphrased -

When you are twenty, you think you know everything.
When you are thirty, you realize you might not know everything.
When you are forty, you realize you know absolutely nothing and also don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

I am so glad my financial situation has allowed me to maintain a 3-6 month emergency reserve of all essentials. The only thing I scaled up for with the whole coronavirus thing was dry goods since I was already on cycle for a rice and bean resupply.

Like I've said a billion times, I like prepping from the self sufficiency angle. Not the "Blue Helmets are gonna steal my freedom!" perspective. Before I got tied to a hospital once a month for the rest of my life, I always fantasized about living self sufficiently "Off the Grid." But it all comes from a place of preparedness for disaster or financial strain.

I hope one of the silver linings of all this bullshit is going to be people being a little more prepared for poo poo. But when people very understandably live paycheck to paycheck, that might not be realistic.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

bahahahahahahahah people still make runs on bread and eggs every hurricane

I can dream of a better world.

Hey, has anyone seen Action-Bastard lately? I remember he was feeling ill a few weeks back.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Reuben Sandwich posted:

It doesn't take a blizzard or even a winter for people to learn, but a nuclear winter.

Ask yourself, the Great Depression Era people lived frugal and accepted the simple lifestyle, how many people would accept that today?

When people are living paycheck to paycheck and literally own almost nothing in their possession, I think life is pretty frugal.

We have the appearance of comfort in the form of streaming services, cell phones that are required to function in our society, and houses with mortgages twice the size of the house. But none of that stuff is actual freedom. It's just the mechanizations of a serfdom society.

Whoops. I opened up my mouth and words came out.

Just remember, I'm dumber than hell.

Picture of me, saying "smart words" -

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I always average an egg a day. It's good general purpose fuel.

Learning to cook them well takes years upon years of constant practice. I started actively cooking eggs when I was nineteen. Now, I'm nearly thirty-six. I'd say I got the proper hang of it about five years ago?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

Speaking of eggs, a few weeks ago I started hearing reports of people stealing chickens from backyard flocks. I ended up adding weatherproof locks to my coop to at least make an attempt at protecting my girls and I'm thinking about adding another camera to the coop.

Oh ho ho ho I would pity the poor motherfucker that would attempt to gently caress with my flock.

You could just get an attack cockatoo. Also known as a regular cockatoo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CainFortea posted:

Livestream the camera for Chicken Watch. Make a web controllable arm dangle a toy or something.

Maybe hook up a way we can watch it. If we see a burglar, we could set off an air horn in your house via webinar or something.

That is certainly not a good idea. It's a great idea.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

DeesGrandpa posted:

Had some of these guys drive by us while patio drinking, along with an absolute shitton of people on the way to the protest (and a few with trash bags full of t shirts to sell). I'm not on the cops' side, but I get their need to have these teams in place and be prepared, even if I don't like it, but for fucks sake don't have the dude with the loving suppressed AR (in addition to beanbag guy), or indeed anyone at all, just riding on the outside of the vehicle. If you present to people as wanting a fight you're likely to get one, though I'd imagine that's kinda their intent.

Never thought I'd listen to an address from the White House Rose Garden with explosions going off in the background.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Herr Tog posted:

Is this where I can post about watches now?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

As most of you know, I've been agonizing about grips for my Turnbull. I wanted something awesome, but I also didn't want to take away from the finish itself.

After much consideration, a package came today from LS Grips.

Behold, the selection I made -

Faux Ivory, I think you're gonna do just fine.

But it didn't satisfy my hunger for some funky grips. I want something LOUD, damnit.

I scratched that itch.

I scratched it good.

My Wrangler now has grips worth a third of what I paid for the gun, new.

If my light box was bigger, I'd take a family photo. But I think this works.

BRB, crossposting this everywhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I still want to know how both hands get burnt cooking.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I worked at a smoothie shop ran by immigrants from Jordan, they introduced wraps. It was 2000ish, prime time for wraps.

They got an industrial grade mike and put it on top of a shelf. We had a tray for zapping turkey bacon into a crisp in twenty seconds. The tray had channels for the grease to run into and a little grease reservoir.

Did I mention the microwave was on top a shelf?

One time when the store was full, I was frantically making food. "DING!" Time to get the bacon out of the microwave. I reached up and grabbed the tray. I put my thumb in the bubbling reservoir of bacon grease. I promptly yelled, "gently caress ME!" and pulled my hand back. I caught the tray, flung it backwards over my head, and sprayed myself with scalding grease. I quickly ran over to the mustard tub in our cold line and shoved my hand in it, quietly swearing. It's an old kitchen thing - mustard on a burn.

It was a ton of fun explaining to the next five customers in line why I screamed a swear and shoved my hand into a quart of mustard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

chairface posted:

When I worked at Waffle House, one of the things emphasized in the training videos is that if you start to drop a pot of something to not try to catch it. A guy I worked with once started to drop a pot of grits and tried to catch it. Instead of catching it, he shoved his arm into the pot of grits. Instinctively he drew back that arm in pain, but because he was going through a swinging door at the time, his attempts to fling the pot away from himself got deflected by the door, sending the pot into the ceiling above him. Both arms, head and shoulders scalded pretty good. Longterm he was fine but it wasn't pretty to look at at the time and we were cleaning grits out of strange places for days.

At least it wasn't a bunch of knives? I guess? Jesus Christ, death by grits.

At the "nice" restaurant I managed, we had these little ramekins for sauce made of some sort of completely indestructible plastic. I swear to God, you could run one over with a car and it wouldn't blink.

But this had an unintended consequence - If you dropped one full of sauce, it would promptly launch the sauce ludicrous distances. We had one room with reclaimed wood plank things running across the ceiling. A few times a week, we would have to climb up there to clean ranch out of the ceiling.

The worst was - dropped ramekin full of sauce in a room with a fan. I was never there when that happened, but we ended up paying a lot of dry-cleaning bills.

poeticoddity posted:

My brother has been in working in kitchens for about a decade.
A few years in he had a newbie coworker drop an aerosol can of some cleaner into a hot deep fryer.
The guy decided to pull it out using tongs and before anyone could process what happened or stop him, he got it out of the oil and then it exploded.
Dude got taken out on a stretcher by EMS and never came back.

Holy gently caress. That's one I've never even through about before.

I can tell you this - if a deep fat fryer catches on fire, you put it out with heavy cream.

I can tell you another thing - if a deep fat fryer catches fire and you pull it out of the kitchen onto the loading dock, it will get stolen in the middle of broad daylight in the rich white people part of town. The funnier thing? It would 100% catch back on fire when plugged up. It was gas powered. We were all watching the news waiting to see "rear end in a top hat HOUSE EXPLODES!" headline.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

aw man cyrano is now a statistic in the spike in household cooking accidents

tweakers prolly dumped the oil down the storm drain and sold the fryer for scrap.

( I edited my post because I thought it was mean, but in the restaurant we were joking around that we were watching the news for a trailer explosion )

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's loving terrifying I'm not even sure what the best method to deal with that would be (beyond "don't use an aerosol can above a deep fryer") - if you don't try to yank it, it will just explode and send oil everywhere. Clearly yanking it wasn't the right move, I guess try to cover the fryer with a sheet pan or something? If you can think fast enough to do that before it explodes?

If I had time to blink, I'd go sheet pan while yelling at everyone to run the gently caress off the line. I've got no idea if we are talking ten seconds or one until explosion.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

i love deep fried food

i am terrified of deep fryers

I have never deep fried in my own home. I had a room mate with a countertop fryer once. It terrified me.

gently caress that Canadian kitchen video, too. That is literally one of the most jarring things I've ever seen, partially because you aren't thinking, "I'm about to see a beautiful woman's face peel off while she screams."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

A fryer fire will make an entire kitchen full of twenty year food vets just gawk and continuously try to smother it, setting sheet pans on fire.

Thank God for Old Man Stanley the Prep Cook and his "Pour Heavy Cream On It" trick.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Of course I believe the golden rule is still "Don't yank the Ansul." I remember one place I worked where the chef flat out told me that he'd rather let the restaurant burn to the ground than have to deal with the Ansul getting tripped.

Jesus Christ, I've heard stories about those things going off. I don't know if I believe the source, but someone I knew told me it cost high five digits to unfuck a place after it tripped.

Dell Story semi-related - Dell once lost an entire floor's computers to a sprinkler system.

Because it was the ultimate corporate capitalism sales job, reps were always trying to give out useless branded toys for people to play with at their desks. One of them was a magnetic dart set.

A rep was on the phone, tossing the magnet dart into the air and catching it. He tossed a little too high, had the magnet slap onto the sprinkler head, which broke the vial of whatever, which then doused an entire floor of machines. Hundreds of machines. All a total loss.

Apparently the person didn't get fired, somehow. I'm guessing insurance paid out a boatload for a bunch of probably old, decrepit machines. I'm also guessing that guy knew a lawyer. "Knowing a lawyer" could prevent you from some bullshit at that hellhole. Sometimes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm a very firm believer in keeping a schedule. It's literally how I managed to stay sane for the multiple years I was waiting on my benefits without a car or cash. I keep a dry erase board with a daily breakdown of what I need to accomplish. I don't always get everything done, but it gives me a good sense of staying active and useful.

Today is one of those days where I accidentally slept in a bit, got up, and one hour later I've marked off all my "To Do" items.

God drat, this lockdown is getting old. I need more busywork.

BIRD!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Insane Totoro posted:

I am so sick of video games.

I see you too frequented Xanga back in the day.

My "normal" video game routine is to play for about two hours in the evening, after I've finished everything for the day. It's my reward.

But this season of Destiny is worthless. I actually enjoyed playing a few rounds of Battlefield One (the best ever) but having unlocked literally everything, it felt pointless.

Papa needs a new drug. Errr, video game.

Not trying to derail general chat into video game chat. Just bemoaning the boredom of a world on fire.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look again man, looks like you're missing a hint

God drat, that just cracked me the gently caress up.

Save As - Set Background

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Jehde posted:

Necessary gently caress Killer Mike. I'll listen to it later though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OMirbGvn8o

Whatís wrong with Killer Mike?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I guess it takes more for me to hate a person than those reasons. Nobody perfectly fits into some binary basket of 100% good or 100% evil. A few do, but not everyone.

Because this is the chat thread, Iíll just leave it at that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thatís real cheap.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poeticoddity posted:

Thanks.
Action Bastard hasn't posted since the 15th, so that's a bit worrisome. Hopefully that's because of being busy rather than sick.

Edit: I just PM'ed Action-Bastard so hopefully either we'll get a return appearance in here or I'll get some news back via PM.

Yeah, I mentioned that a little while ago. I hope dude is OK.

If somebody actually knows him, it might be worth making a call/text/smoke signal. All my back and fourth with him has been over PM and mail - not the best way to check on a person.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Action-Bastard posted:

Hey gang,
Sorry to cause any worry I'm alive and kicking.

If you look at my last few posts they seem kinda garbage, well I kept getting sicker and some of my symptoms were extreme exhaustion/fatigue. I decided to take a break from posting since I didn't have the energy or cognizance to type decent posts. I'm doing better but still not recovered. My circadian rhythm is fuuuuucked.

They tested me twice for Covid-19 and it was negative both times. At this point they suspect it was some kind of viral infection. Or hey maybe the covid testing is flawed

Anyways thanks for keeping me on your minds. Probably gonna continue my break from posting unless I really get a hare up my rear end on a particular subject.

Glad to hear you're doing alright considering the circumstances.

Circadian rhythm is a lie, just sleep your rear end off until you feel better.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dick Burglar posted:

I tried this for years in my 20s. Never did feel better.

For what it's worth, I've been an insomniac since I was a pre-teen. I've tried all the medicines, sleep studies, and doctors.

About a year ago, a new sleep doctor cracked it. I'll keep the single mild medication to myself, but one of the big things she told me was, "Ignore any talk about circadian rhythm being a thing. Sleep on your own schedule." I normally go to sleep at about 3:00am and wake up at about 10:00am. Seven hours works for me.

The last year, I've slept the best I ever have in my life. When me head hits the pillow, I'm asleep within minutes. I cannot communicate as to how life changing that has been. Yeah, the dreams are still a problem, but they've become calmer than they used to be.

(If anyone wants to talk sleep meds, PM me.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

RTJ4 is pretty drat good, but it doesn't have a track that leaps out and slaps me in the face on a first listen.

I'll be listening to it daily for a while, but I'm not disappointed.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I need an emergency stove. I have a poo poo ton of canned goods that could probably carry my household through a month or more. But, we'd be eating cold.

Admittedly, Portland has pretty tame weather compared to Nashville (Hurricanes, Tornados), Kentucky (meth), and Kansas (Snowstorms, WIND!!!, surprisingly less tornados than Nashville.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

therobit posted:

And like 5 away from Gresham.

Less than five. I think Iím literally on the border. Iím close to the intersection of 148th and Division.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

therobit posted:

Sourdough is easy AF. If anyone in the Portland area want me to break off a piece of my starter that dates back to at least the 1950s I will deliver it in a glass jar with instructions so long as you give me a couple days lead time.

I might take you up on that eventually. Bread making is something I'm completely inexperience doing, but I'm trying to make perfect sugar cookies next.

Because I got parakeet and cockatiel cookie cutters.

I often like to send baked goods to the parrot shop. Because that's just how I roll.

chairface posted:

I prefer my pasta half cooked too but I readily accept that's not how most people eat their pasta and a restaurant probably isn't gonna serve it to me that way. Similarly my opinion on how to prepare most meat is "clean it off real good."

I prefer my chicken way overcooked. I got severely hospitalized from food poisoning from chicken when I was nineteen. Ever since then, my body won't allow me to consume regular chicken.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In today's weird rear end adventures of sorting through five generations of family history -

Back in 2016, my uncle (who lived in England) died in a car wreck, my grandfather starved himself two months later, and my other uncle had a stroke. My father had a nervous breakdown and I came damned close. But, it was my job to sort through the four bedroom family home and get it ready for auction. I had to get rid of trash, mark items for auction, find items for sale to family friends - like my grandmother's personal antique silver collection, and keep family stuff. That house had room after room of all sorts of stuff, but we had to get it empty so we could sell the house.

Sadly, a lot of stuff got tossed that shouldn't have been tossed. But it was just me, for gently caress's sake. When it came to personal family stuff, I just made stacks and put the stacks in file folders.

Because I want to make a thread about my great grandfather's war stuff, I'm sorting through those files. Today, I found -

- A picture of my grandparents with Margaret loving Thatcher. My grandfather was a hardline fiscal conservative, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But I am pretty sure my grandmother hated her.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say my grandmother has a thinly veiled look of disgust on her face. Grandpa looks thrilled.

- In my uncle's stuff, I found a bunch of stuff related to Greenpeace. He was a huge environmentalist and did a lot of protesting and illegal adjacent activities. Amongst a bunch of his stuff, I found a KKK business card.

I don't really want to take a picture of it, but it says, "Invisible Empire : Knights of the Ku Klux Klan - Exalted Cyclops (name redacted) with a personal phone number. I showed my father, who was dumbfounded.

I know for a fact my uncle loving loathed racists and took actions in his life against them. I wonder how he got a personal business card from one of those assholes?

- More WWII maps, reports, and pictures. What is the Gyrojet Spitfire Targetting system? gently caress if I know!

While the reasons for digging through all this stuff are pretty grim, it's weird playing archivist to a bunch of family history that I know next to nothing about.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CainFortea posted:

I went googling after this term, and this is what came up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3078662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=309#post503657152

It was like the 4th result.

God damnit, I'm breaking the ability to search the internet about this poo poo.

It doesn't help that it was classified at the time.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hah! Found another report with slightly different wording.

Edited for The Queen.

Grandpa's signature on the back.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 5, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Miso Beno posted:

that is too loving cool to live in a temporary thread like this you need to get those scanned proper and published somewhere.

It's a summer project that's going to get documented here. TFR has a lot of extremely educated people who will be able to dig pretty deep into the stuff if they please.

There is a lot of this stuff smattered everywhere. I have no idea how so much of it followed him home from the war.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CainFortea posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_gunsight

It's the system that would calculate bullet drop based partly on a gyroscopic measurement of the rate of turn of the firing aircraft.

Oh poo poo, there you go!

The verbiage (at least in my memory) shifted around a lot. This report has a bunch of combat pictures attached for reference that could very well have been taken by my great grandfather.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poeticoddity posted:

Uh...I don't know a drat thing about the UK system but I know there's still stuff from WWII that's classified, FOUO, or otherwise restricted in the US, so if something has a giant "SECRET" stamp on it, you might want to give some relevant keywords in the text a cursory google search before posting photos or scans in a gun forum.

Huh, a professional published historian I spoke with years ago told me I had nothing to worry about on these particular documents - especially being WWII era.

Iíll snip that one to be safe, but Iím not a dual citizen. Not too worried about British WWII opsec for Spitfire sights.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CainFortea posted:

Well, luckily if there is some 80 year old mi6 agent who's last case is finding those documents and silencing you, you can probably at least out-run......well....maybe not.

Iím about 50% confident I can out stagger an 85 year old secret agent.

Like...45%.

40%.

Wait, does he or she have a scooter?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

poeticoddity posted:

If a historian gave you the thumbs up on your documents, I'd assume that's fine.

I do know there were research publications I couldn't access when working on my dissertation because they were behind a DoD firewall, but that had to with artillery sighting systems or something so it's entirely possible that's mostly an S&T thing.

The conversation was mid-2000s and had something to do with almost all the archives being opened + Iím an American. My parents never finished my dual citizenship paperwork. (Which still irks me. Iíd love an EU passport.)

Iíd be willing to bet someone here knows the actual meat and potatoes of what is and isnít OK. Iíd be curious, because I donít need a headache. But Mr. Historian looked at everything and seemed to think it wouldnít be a problem. He did imply finding the documents would be difficult, but they followed my family here in the 70ís.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

I couldn't feasibly grill anything for 6ish years but I moved in march so I've been throwing meat over fire like a tv dad to make up for lost time and I gotta say, it owns.

Repetition in cooking is the absolute key to success.

Case in Point - Eggs