Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

I am so glad my financial situation has allowed me to maintain a 3-6 month emergency reserve of all essentials. The only thing I scaled up for with the whole coronavirus thing was dry goods since I was already on cycle for a rice and bean resupply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I hope one of the silver linings of all this bullshit is going to be people being a little more prepared for poo poo. But when people very understandably live paycheck to paycheck, that might not be realistic.

bahahahahahahahah people still make runs on bread and eggs every hurricane

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speaking of eggs, a few weeks ago I started hearing reports of people stealing chickens from backyard flocks. I ended up adding weatherproof locks to my coop to at least make an attempt at protecting my girls and I'm thinking about adding another camera to the coop.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

i kind of love this idea. i wonder if i can do something fun with a very questionable PTZ security cam?

edit: i may dedicate mental resources to this after i finish building the automatic chicken door.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

Well, that's what I was meaning. Set it up so folks can watch chickens and dangle toys at them or something. Maybe a feed button for dropping feed corn pellets.

then i could get a chicken youtube which turns into a chicken patreon and build the chicken rescue of my dreams

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Had some of these guys drive by us while patio drinking, along with an absolute shitton of people on the way to the protest (and a few with trash bags full of t shirts to sell). I'm not on the cops' side, but I get their need to have these teams in place and be prepared, even if I don't like it, but for fucks sake don't have the dude with the loving suppressed AR (in addition to beanbag guy), or indeed anyone at all, just riding on the outside of the vehicle. If you present to people as wanting a fight you're likely to get one, though I'd imagine that's kinda their intent.

Less than lethal is often deployed alongside full lethal in case the less than lethal option fails. It's common practice with taser deployments since they have a pretty high failure rate. Also, I'd rather a cop use a rifle with optics if they're going to be anywhere near a crowd. If they absolutely have to deploy a firearm, it might as well be the one that can be operated accurately.

UNRELATED: riding on the outside of a vehicle like that is hella fun. I used to jump on the back of my buddy's disco and ride around like that like a total fuckwit when I was a younger fuckwit.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

Nah I'm down with the less lethal, and I've ridden on the running boards of the farm Cherokee long enough to get that part too, I'm just saying that rolling down the main arteries of denfer like that is not helpful at all.

BUT IT GETS HOT IN MY TRUCKKKK

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

aw man cyrano is now a statistic in the spike in household cooking accidents

Captain Log posted:

I can tell you another thing - if a deep fat fryer catches fire and you pull it out of the kitchen onto the loading dock, it will get stolen in the middle of broad daylight in the rich white people part of town. The funnier thing? It would 100% catch back on fire when plugged up. It was gas powered. We were all watching the news waiting to see "rear end in a top hat HOUSE EXPLODES!" headline.

tweakers prolly dumped the oil down the storm drain and sold the fryer for scrap.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

i love deep fried food

i am terrified of deep fryers

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sharkopath posted:

You get a lot of sizzle and pop contact burns but as long as you dont use the oil too long and keep the temp in check its nothing to worry about. Never had a fire on my watch. At least any big ones....

Oh I've worked kitchens and never had a deep fryer fire. It's just the whole vat of boiling oil thing that turns into big fire and the kitchen into a giant slip and slide.

also fart disease

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

I prolly missed stove chat but for those of you who are space crunched: little fuckers like this one run on cheap as gently caress butane fuel and are also, cheap as gently caress if you got a local supplier.

I hosed up and posted this in the AR thread.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

haha thats loving great

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

that is too loving cool to live in a temporary thread like this you need to get those scanned proper and published somewhere.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Baking pies is fun hurricane prep. You should all bake pies.

Apple Pie

Meat Pie

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I like my Ruger Ranch well enough, but if I had to choose off of the arbitrary list, I'd prolly go with a shotgun since it's good for ducks, turkeys, deer, most four legged predators, and two legged predators.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

my special flag?

oh poo poo uh new page.

hi page 14

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The confederate flag.

oh i mean is he calling the confederate flag his special flag because that's loving great

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

When I read that, it sounded like he was talking about a special needs flag.

i read it as its a flag he puts his dick in.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

very special flag

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Owning a home sucks almost as bad as not owning a home.

MY TOILET IS LEAKING AND THE ONLY LANDLORD WHO IS GONNA loving DEAL WITH IT IS ME. YAY.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

We need updates. With pictures. And commentary.

Now that I'm home (early morning infusion is such fun) I can take a picture of my great grandfather's pen from the war. It's a Parker 51. These can be dated down to the quarter of the year they were made. I don't recall, but it is at least as old as the War.

I never got around to refurbing it. If anyone has a good suggestion for a company, let me know.

im gonna try to bandaid it until i remodel because the whole bathroom is hosed.

also gently caress yeah parker pens are nice.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it better or worse to be responsible for it yourself though? I've been fortunate with my landlords but there are some serious horror stories out there.
I've only had one landlord and they got poo poo fixed quick. I'm lazy when it comes to me myself and I am a loving lazy rear end. Especially since I keep trying to kick this bathroom remodel off.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'd wear that shirt.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/alaska-into-the-wild-bus-removed-trnd/index.html

Always wanted to get there, but never quite made the time. drat shame.
those skids on the blackhawk look hecking cool

brb going snowmobiling in my helo

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

My office straight up said all staff that doesnt need to be in the office wont be in the office until october at the earliest and to seriously consider 2021 as a realistic return date.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Akion posted:

This is the truth. I was full-time remote from 2012-2019. The only way I made it work was with a coworking space, because otherwise you just feel super isolated and alone. It also makes collaborative work difficult.

My happy place is probably 80/20 remote/office. If I go back to full-time remote I'd probably find or start a coworking space just to keep myself sane.

I'm more of a 60/40 Remote/Office kind of person. When I'm not in the office every day I prioritize human interactions and get a poo poo load of planning done. Then my remote time is spent doing actual loving work without getting random flybys interrupting my flow. Right before lockdown, I was 40/60 remote/office time and even that was pretty dope. Since I have a long commute by coach bus, I prioritized my morning and evening commute to do actual work and make sure I can get poo poo done on my WFH days.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Having a separate work area has been a godsend for my WFH productivity. I tried working from couch for a few weeks and found that my productivity was always tanked. Super hard.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Having a dedicated work space/office for WFH is basically Rule #1. Not only to keep productivity up and distractions down, but it also affords you the opportunity to still remove yourself from your work environment at the end of the day.
Oh poo poo yes.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gotta be honest just having a wfh comp can make the difference. I’m sitting at the same desk if I’m working or playing games but being on a 100% different desktop puts me in the “gotta be serious” mind space.

I ended up buying a second laptop just so I could do personal stuff on a machine. Unfortunately, my video game /image editing rig is in an unconditioned converted attic and gets fuckoff hot on sunny days so i cant just switch desks and still be comfortable.

fake edit: on hot days i go out in the back and work from backyard. it makes everyone jealous on con-calls.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Plague beard best beard. I haven't shaved since I was in NYC this past February and it's been great because none of them fuckers think I could grow anything more than a mustache.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

I liked all of the meetings my job had when the folks who normally worked in the office were forced to work from home. I mean, talk about the newbiest of noobs. I poo poo you not, the first few Webex meetings we had? Some of them actually hadn't put so much as a Post-It brand adhesive memo sheet over the camera! I mean, they weren't even using the software to turn off the video. And they were still in Phase 1: Office Clothes. I bet they still showered daily, the fools.

There are phases of WAHs. My band's guitarist and I have had many discussions about this. (He worked for the Eminence speaker company for several years, and he worked remotely.)
Everyday I've worked since this whole Covid-19 thing kicked off, I've gotten cleaned up and dressed in my quarantine work uniform which conists of shorts and an aloha shirt, setup my backdrop area (bookshelf) so it is picture ready, and made sure i had nice off camerea lighting. I wanna stand out in video conferences, particualrly when I'm the presenter so people actually remember me. Also, aloha shirts are comfy as hell and my office gets hot as heck in the afternoon.

Action-Bastard posted:

Question for the floor.

Apartment management left a note saying there will be mantainance people coming into my apartment later this week. Routine stuff nothing special.

I'm still sick and despite the test being negative I'm still acting as though I'm Covid-19 positive since I have nearly all the symptoms. I've messaged my management informing them of this but they never responded.

Think I should put a note on my door saying "Hi Covid-19 positive occupant take the necessary precautions before entering" in case management doesn't tell the workers?
yes

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't know what the future holds for the forums but I did just create the Google groups TFR Plan B while we figure out what our next steps are.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sorry about the problems with the google group, yall. I just set its publicity to visible for the time being so you can make join requests while I figure out this clunky rear end interface.

https://groups.google.com/d/forum/tfr-plan-b

edit: im also joining the discord so dont think im tryna compete with cyrano or anything.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 24, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

i want my last post to be a goatse

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

There's nothing stopping you from posting the goatman right now, is there?

butt im not done just yet

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

thank you all for bearing with the verification process <3

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

discord is fun

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

this thread is now about pastries

I really like macaroons but are they really a pastry? They're just eggs almonds, and sugar, that's more like a sweet omelet than a pastry.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've heard you can get really good macaroons from Goldbelly.

But I don't own lease a Nissan GTR Sports Coupe.

edit: wtf is goldbelly? is it like a meal kit delivery service?

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 25, 2020

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

But did you LEASE one?
although i am dumb as hell i believe that leasing is dumber as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004