Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You forgot to mention the best hurricane preparedness part.

Double up on your hurricane preparedness posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Miso Beno posted:

Speaking of eggs, a few weeks ago I started hearing reports of people stealing chickens from backyard flocks. I ended up adding weatherproof locks to my coop to at least make an attempt at protecting my girls and I'm thinking about adding another camera to the coop.

Livestream the camera for Chicken Watch. Make a web controllable arm dangle a toy or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Maybe hook up a way we can watch it. If we see a burglar, we could set off an air horn in your house via webinar or something.

That is certainly not a good idea. It's a great idea.

Well, that's what I was meaning. Set it up so folks can watch chickens and dangle toys at them or something. Maybe a feed button for dropping feed corn pellets.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hell of a post/av combo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

chairface posted:

How long will the corporate media tut tut about property damage while their own employees are maimed?

Forever.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I have never deep fried in my own home. I had a room mate with a countertop fryer once. It terrified me.

gently caress that Canadian kitchen video, too. That is literally one of the most jarring things I've ever seen, partially because you aren't thinking, "I'm about to see a beautiful woman's face peel off while she screams."

You should not check out the talks people give about Hydroflouric acid, FYI if it ever comes up.

It's basically a time bomb if it gets on you without you noticing (entirely possible and has happened) then it attacks your bones after passing through your flesh. The treatment is basically flay the affected area, and inject calcuim directly into exposed bones a few times, then put flesh back and hope the nerve damage doesn't kill them anyway

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

He's a history major. We type and drink.

Yea but when he drinks he tends to probe himself once he gets to the i love you man stage of drinking. This bit about burned hands just smacks cover story.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I use those butane burners to cook at work when something needs making. They work fine. We also rent them out to some guy who does cooking classes and they make all kinds of stuff.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

For the longest time I'd just be like "haha idgaf about hurricanes I live inland and in a valley I'm safe" and then a few years ago the hurricanes started getting extra spicey.

Last year one threw down a scattering of twisters straight down into our poo poo like God cheating at loving pogs and it sucked

You don't have to worry about hurricane stuff inland. Unless you're at the coast those are just sparkling twisters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea Log, you're like 25 minutes away from Estacada.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually for all the crap I give Estacada I saw way more meth cases out of Mulino while I was on grand jury. So either there's a lot more meth out there or they're just REALLY bad at not getting caught.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just get a media blaster and fill it full of parmesian dust instead of sand. Now you can rough up your pasta while cheesing it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jehde posted:

I should get into homemade pasta, considering how much of my diet consists of it. Like half my pantry is bags of pasta.

Yea but if you make your own pasta then you won't spend an hour going "where should I go eat pasta today". And that's a solid chunk of time you won't have anything else to do with.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

- More WWII maps, reports, and pictures. What is the Gyrojet Spitfire Targetting system? gently caress if I know!

I went googling after this term, and this is what came up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3078662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=309#post503657152

It was like the 4th result.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_gunsight

It's the system that would calculate bullet drop based partly on a gyroscopic measurement of the rate of turn of the firing aircraft.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Oh poo poo, there you go!

The verbiage (at least in my memory) shifted around a lot. This report has a bunch of combat pictures attached for reference that could very well have been taken by my great grandfather.

Yea, those look like coaxial camera shots from aircraft machine guns.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Huh, a professional published historian I spoke with years ago told me I had nothing to worry about on these particular documents - especially being WWII era.

Iíll snip that one to be safe, but Iím not a dual citizen. Not too worried about British WWII opsec for Spitfire sights.

Well, luckily if there is some 80 year old mi6 agent who's last case is finding those documents and silencing you, you can probably at least out-run......well....maybe not.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Akion posted:

IDK. Sounds like a pretty clear-cut safe of self defense to me. People broke into his shop and home with weapons, then made overtures of violence towards him and he responded appropriately.

Don't break into a place with hammers if you aren't prepared to do violence, and if you are then be prepared to lose. It's not on the guy to hope they just want his stuff, especially if they continue approaching after he's made it clear he's armed.

That's not his home. He left the apartment he stayed in (explicitly to be on hand to go shoot at people if they broke into his store)

He could have stayed at his normal home. Staying in that apartment, he could have stayed in that apartment instead of leaving it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"The owner of the shop decided to stay in an apartment above his store on the 2700 block of North Western this weekend to watch out for looters."

Unless the linked story is incorrect in it's facts as reported, he went looking for a fight.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nah. Dude had multiple options and he went straight for shooting at people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Arenít they using like magical steel alloy slugs or something

Yea. "Steel alloy slugs"

And yea, I'd say that the assassin people are stymied by body armor because they're assassins not delta green rangers operating in a battlespace. They usually shoot private security and unarmed people who aren't wearing body armor.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jehde posted:

John Wick is the best video game movie series.

The only difference between John Wick and Pacific Rim is John Wick doesn't have aliens.

I like both movies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I don't know what a John Wick is, but if we're talking bulletproof suits, the only one I want is the trench coat from some documentary I saw years ago. I forget what it was about, but it involved motorcycles, tobacco men, and for some reason, bulletproof trench coats.

Its a series of movies with Keanu Reeves being very shooty. Also a lot of memes came from it. It's got really good gunplay, like the opposite of gun kata bullshit from equilibrium. If you like action movies you should give the first movie a peek. If you don't like it then stop cause you won't like anything after that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Somebody Awful posted:

It was just a loving dog.

Mods?!?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Applesnots posted:

"Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man."

Fun poo poo.

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8K34N604Iw

Arguing about the cost of ammo during a shootout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqUlQ7NukU

Ed:
Man I forgot about "totally not low budget Bruce Willis".

I forgot about the armor trench coats and using The Bad Guy Gun.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

"I don't care I just like it" is always the trump card in "what gun do I want to buy?"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wonder what will happen to that in uniform marine I saw last year with a visible SS armband tattoo.

The Commandant *just* banned confederate flags, and that war was over 147 years ago. It'll take a few years before they get to banning nazis.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

I could be mistaken, but it (or something similar I'm failing to differentiate) appears to be on Mississippi's flag.

And there is currently an effort to change the flag to one that doesn't have it on there. The governor is saying that it should be "up to the people" to vote, so it's unlikely to go anywhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I doubt it will cost them gently caress all. People always over sell how much a corporation taking a political stance will cost them money because assholes boycott them.

Yea, I mean this just about sums up the "loss"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I want to do lasik, but my eyesight always gets worse over time and i'd just be wearing glasses again a year after surgery.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Normally old rentals are a pretty mixed bag, but if the price is dropping that hard right now i'd be more likely to do it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Compared to a lot of the dealers near me itís a pretty decent bargain, but thatís probably because the dealers near me suck terribly.

Are the deals only for their inhouse finance option? Or can you get financing with your bank and just go buy the car?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have a multimeter? If so, there's a way to test for a parasitic drain and/or short. I might be wrong, but I think it's set it to the lowest ohm setting and bridge the positive and negative side of the battery. It should show zero, if it shows more than zero that means you have a drain. Then you pull fuses until it changes, that fuse corresponds with the electrical system that's draining it.

Double check with AI first to make sure that's how it works.

Make sure you unplug the battery first. Also there are some cars, even late 90s that will always have some drain even with the ignition off.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Proper Kerni ng posted:

You are very, very wrong. Testing voltage across an ohmmeter is a highly exciting way to discover how far you can reflexively throw a flaming electronic device, and also how much it costs to replace it.

Speaking of VERY wrong things.

He said multimeter. Not ohmmeter.

Also, you disconnect the battery to test resistance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

how do you clean the barrel without taking the bolt out?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm fine muzzle to chamber too, but I just imagined you'd be smacking the bolt face with jags and brushes all the time leaving the bolt in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What goat roaping bullshit multi meters are you using that don't have fuses in them? Also multi meter =/= ohmmeter.

Edit: The kit ohmmeter I built 26 years ago had a fuckin fuse in it.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 19, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Coin people are weird.

"Yea, who's a dirty quarter? That's right, you are. You're a dirty DIRTY quarter!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Any weirder than gun people? Hmmm?

That ven diagram is nearly a circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I wonder when you have to stop trying to make your gun still look new-ish?

never not clean guns