Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Replying to a post from the May thread:

Captain Log posted:

Are you wearing an outfit?

I say this as a person who used to dress up in medieval crusader garb and fight in parks. I am not judging.

Yes, I'm wearing a gi and hakama, like this:

(Not me)

I only have a simple utilitarian practice outfit; I don't have a dressy set, yet. One day!

I have accepted my turbo-goon status and I figure I might as well enjoy what I enjoy, rather than feel guilty about enjoying a goofy hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Man, I've eaten eggs that were in my fridge for WAY longer than 5 weeks.

In the last 3+ years, I don't think I've had any eggs more than two weeks, and even that is being generous. I eat a lot of eggs. Eggs are (fairly) tasty and filling--and considering I am non-loving-stop hungry all the time, filling foods that aren't super calorie dense are a necessity for me.

I'm sure people will look at my skinny rear end and say "you could stand to eat more!" and yeah, I could, but I'd still be just as hungry all the goddamn time. Me being hungry isn't from not eating enough, it's just matter of "my brain never turns off the 'hungry' switch." I burn through black coffee and various kinds of tea, not to mention a metric fuckload of water, to try to trick my brain into shutting up for a while.

If ever I'm in a legit starvation situation, I'm gonna die or turn to cannibalism. Fast.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 1, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I always average an egg a day. It's good general purpose fuel.

Learning to cook them well takes years upon years of constant practice. I started actively cooking eggs when I was nineteen. Now, I'm nearly thirty-six. I'd say I got the proper hang of it about five years ago?

My typical breakfast is four jumbo-size eggs, plus another thing like a bowl of cereal or cream of wheat if I'm feeling spry or expect to have a more physically-demanding day. I don't know how people can cook two regular-size eggs and think that's an even remotely satisfactory breakfast.

Then again, I already covered the whole "I'm always hungry" thing above. I've stolen and repurposed the Hulk's "that's my secret, I'm always angry" line into being hungry instead... although I'm almost always mad these days too, because the world sucks, but that's beside the point.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Glad to hear you're doing alright considering the circumstances.

Circadian rhythm is a lie, just sleep your rear end off until you feel better.

I tried this for years in my 20s. Never did feel better.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Pasta, like meat, continues to cook for a bit even after being removed from the heat. So if you like pasta with some firmness to it (~AL DENTE~) then take it out before it's reached your desired firmness, because it will get softer in the next ten or so minutes that it's still hot-hot.

My dad claims he likes his pasta "al dente" but whenever he asks for it cooked al dente at a restaurant he always gets mad because they never make it firm enough. What he really means is he likes it half-cooked. It's gross. I like pasta soft and floppy, because I am a stupid barbarian or whatever.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 5, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I don't think I've ever had pasta so overcooked that it became "mushy." I have no idea how badly you'd have to gently caress up forgetting about it that it would cook that long. I just like soft pasta.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Olive Garden sucks and I haven't eaten at one for fuckin ages so yeah I can believe that's a thing they'd do.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Been watching John Wick 3. One of my friends dads is in it and has some cool shootout stuff.

https://youtu.be/wZWyt8cCaWM

E: and yes, Lance Reddick is basically always terrifying

I'm gonna be That Guy, but I really don't enjoy the John Wick movies very much. I understand that Wick himself is supposed to be basically an "apex human" but the dude just tanks way too much damage and is unbelievably precise with his one-shot-stops. If his kills were a little less surgical-to-the-point-of-ridiculous and he didn't sustain approximately one hundred times the damage it takes to kill even an incredibly strong human, I'd enjoy it more. It's like taking Max Payne gameplay and subbing in real actors; it's ridiculous on its face. Plus his shooting is painfully 3-gun gamer-y (because that's what Taran Tactical trained him on). He even has the goofy loving shell magnetically held outside of the ejection port because you have to start with shotgun unloaded in 3-gun for some idiotic reason.

I also don't understand why everybody in the films has apparently agreed to only use handgun rounds for everything but bolt-guns? The only time I think we see an assassin with a rifle caliber weapon is the sniper's rifle in the first(?) movie. Wick & co are utterly confused and stymied by level IIIa or possibly even just level II body armor. What?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Well yeah ok shotguns aren't "handgun caliber" but what I really meant was a lack of centerfire rifles. And yeah, you're right, I think he does use a 5.56 carbine in the sewers of 2. Which makes it all the weirder when he's confused by armor later.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Actually it's even weirder because Wick's suits are explicitly made of bullet-resistant kevlar. I guess Wick thinks only he should have body armor, because he's the protagonist, and everybody else is just a mook who has to die.

The vault having absolutely zero centerfire rifle weapons was bizarre. But yeah, conveniently they have steel shotgun slugs.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

It's just so strange because body armor is an established entity in-universe: Wick's suit is kevlar and stops bullets. He especially should understand that other people can also wear body armor, and yet he is utterly bewildered and unprepared when that happens.

My honest guess is it's an artistic choice to show off a bunch of cool unusual guns (rad pistols, PCCs and shotguns) over having a boring black rifle-fest that every ~realistic~ movie has. The problem is the in-universe reasoning is shoddily-handled.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

You can go to Garrison Bespoke in NYC and buy a bulletproof suit like Wick has. I want one. I have zero need for bulletproof anything right now but I love weird gimmick poo poo.

E:holy poo poo they’re 20 grand.

That's not even the high end of stupid designer suits. Designer suits are, like other ~*~high fashion~*~ items, absolutely unbelievably overpriced trash. At least this one serves a(n extremely gimmicky) purpose.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 7, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

I wonder--if we see the price of the carbon nanotube design come down, will we start seeing body armor with sleeves? I wonder how the suit's sleeves feel to wear. Are they annoyingly stiff? I'll never know because lol $20k on a dumbass suit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ceros_X posted:

An AR is going to punch through IIIA so why recommend a shotgun at all if body armor is a factor.

Shotguns are legal in a lot of places that semi-auto rifles (especially the scary black AR kind) are not. Not the best tool for the job, but if that's all you've got, it's good to know how effective it is or isn't.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Would you rather have a pump action shotgun or a pump rifle in .223? Or a bolt action?

Not a rhetorical question. My gut wants to say “ of course shotgun” but the more I think about it the more I think a Ruger Ranch with a red dot and a 30 round mag (in pretty sure those take STANAG - if not the 10 rounder you can buy them with) would be the superior option.

Depends. If I can only have one gun, or can only afford one, I want a shotgun. Shotguns are hella versatile and useful. Most uses have nothing to do with armor penetration. In a setting where I can get whatever I want, and I also think I have legitimate need for armor penetration, yeah I’d take a .223 bolt gun. That said, you may not be able to get even a bolt gun with a detachable magazine, let alone 30-round ones, in some places. So would you rather have a 5-round internal magazine .223 bolt gun over the shotgun? Ehhh.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CainFortea posted:

"I don't care I just like it" is always the trump card in "what gun do I want to buy?"

It's why I keep fantasizing about buying a Marlin 1895 Dark Series, and also a CZ Hammer Classic. I can more easily justify the shotgun, since I could use it for clay shooting and stuff. A shorty .45-70 lever-gun is, uh, less easily justified. They're both dumb as poo poo, since I've already got a pretty good semi-auto 12 gauge shotgun that is great for shooting clays, and I have zero use for the 1895 aside from maybe I could argue it would be handy for when I go hiking in rural Idaho this Christmas, but honestly I don't need it even then, but hey I still like both of those guns.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 10, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Add another to the pile:
https://twitter.com/Blaney/status/1271173156691152897

Dumbass is trying to ~roll with the punches~
https://twitter.com/BEAMdesigns/status/1271191830093152256

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Omfg looooool

It looks like he deleted his Twitter account after that massive own.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

NASCAR the org trying to drag its fans, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century. They didn't get away from carburetors til 2012, for gently caress's sake. Literally less than a decade ago.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Oh god damnit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

C'mon, man. Treat yourself to at least some SkiFree, or better yet, Castle of the Winds.

You deserve it, man

God bless you for linking these. I died to a goblin after whiffing multiple attacks... just like the good old days

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lawful Masses with Leonard French. I haven't actually watched this one, I've just seen it in my recommends. Honestly not huge on most of the Lawful Masses videos anymore, but sometimes they're interesting.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

So, you have to partially disassemble the stock whenever you want to remove or install the bolt? Am I reading this correctly? That can't be right.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

The local cop is the one that stole the gun.

Yes but surely his coworkers aren't all complicit with covering for his illegal activit--oh.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

infrared35 posted:

Nah, the car is only worth three grand, while the truck is worth $30k.

loving trucks, man.

No, not that kind of--nevermind, they're probably that kind too.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Was there actually something about Burt Sexual that came out of this whole thing, or am I misinterpreting that?

Edit: oh apparently he's banned. What did I miss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Isn't the Mk19 infamous for jamming loving constantly? Like, "can't even get through a single belt without multiple stoppages" bad?