Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CMSAF just posted a comment on the riots:

quote:

Who am I?
I am a Black man who happens to be the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force.
I am George Floyd…I am Philando Castile, I am Michael Brown, I am Alton Sterling, I am Tamir Rice.
Just like most of the Black Airmen and so many others in our ranks…I am outraged at watching another Black man die on television before our very eyes. What happens all too often in this country to Black men who are subjected to police brutality that ends in death…could happen to me. As shocking as that may sound to some of you…I hope you realize that racism/discrimination/exclusion does not care much about position, titles or stature….so yes, it could happen to you, or one of your friends, or your Airmen, or your NCOIC, your Flight Chief, your Squadron Commander or even your Wing Commander. This, my friends, is my greatest fear, not that I will be killed by a white police officer (believe me my heart starts racing like most other Black men in America when I see those blue lights behind me)…but that I will wake up to a report that one of our Black Airmen has died at the hands of a white police officer.
As I struggle with the Air Force’s own demons that include the racial disparities in military justice and discipline among our youngest Black male Airmen and the clear lack of diversity in our senior officer ranks…I can only look in the mirror for the solution. I, the CMSAF must do better in ensuring every Airmen in our ranks has a fair chance at becoming the best version of themselves. While this is a complicated issue…I, along with every other leader across the force, am responsible for making sure it becomes a reality.
What have I been doing?
Not enough…I have done my share of community service work, been in involved in mentor programs, voted in local, state and national elections, but I’ve come to the conclusion that whatever I have done in the past is just not enough. So, I spent the last week, “plotting, planning, strategizing, organizing and mobilizing” just as Killer Mike, the popular Atlanta rapper and activist encouraged us to do. Twenty-five of my closest friends (White, Black, Asian, enlisted, officer and civilian) and I have an ongoing dialogue where we began by acknowledging our right to be angry about what is happening.
We eventually moved beyond the rage and began to think about what’s next? What could or should we be doing as a group and as individuals to stop this from happening in our communities across these United States? We don’t have all the answers, but we do have some of the most brilliant minds, many, who have first hand experience with this topic and we will continue working towards a solution. While we can’t change the world, we can change the communities we live in and more importantly, those where our Airmen strive to be seen, heard, and treated as human beings. I have also not done enough as your most senior enlisted leader…while we have made progress in many of the areas that impact our Airmen and families; I believe that we have not made much progress in this area of racial injustice and diversity among our ranks. This is why I’m working with General Goldfein, first and foremost to have a full and thorough independent review of our military justice system. We will look to uncover where the problem lies, and how we can fix it. We are also working to improve the diversity of our force, especially within the senior ranks. I hope this message triggers responses and ideas from each of you on things we can do better.
What should you be doing?
Like me, acknowledge your right to be upset about what’s happening to our nation. But you must then find a way to move beyond the rage and do what you think is right for the country, for your community, for your sons, daughters, friends and colleagues…for every Black man in this country who could end up like George Floyd. Part of my group’s solution involves helping to bridge the communication and understanding gap between law enforcement and young Black men. You decide what works best for you, where you can have the most meaningful impact and most importantly, what you can stay committed to…we didn’t get here overnight so don’t expect things to change tomorrow…we are in this for the long haul. Vote, protest peacefully, reach out to your local and state officials, to your Air Force leadership and become active in your communities…we need all hands on deck. If you don’t do anything else, I encourage everyone to fight, not just for freedom, justice and equality, but to fight for understanding. You might think you know what it’s like to grow up, exist, survive and even thrive in this country as a Black person…but let me tell you, regardless of how many Black friends you have, or how Black your neighborhood was, or if your spouse or in-laws are Black…you don’t know.
You don’t know the anxiety, the despair, the heartache, the fear, the rage and the disappointment that comes with living in this country, OUR country every single day. So, take the time to talk to someone – your brand new Airmen, your NCOIC or your Flight Commander - about their experiences so that you have a better understanding of who they are, where they come from and what drives them. Frankly, you owe this to every Airmen, but I’m asking you specifically to pay attention to the Black Airmen in your ranks during this trying time. Don’t misunderstand me, they don’t need, nor do they want any special treatment…but they deserve to be treated fairly and equally, both by our United States Air Force and these United States of America…this begins with you, and I am asking, no fighting, for your understanding.
Like you, I don’t have all of the answers, but I am committed to seeing a better future for this nation. A future where Black men must no longer suffer needlessly at the hands of White police officers, and where Black Airmen have the same chance to succeed as their White counterparts. Trust me, I understand this is a difficult topic to talk about…
Difficult…not impossible…
Difficult…but necessary.
Who am I…
I am Kaleth. I am a Black Man who happens to be the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force and I am committed to making this better.

If the administration pushes for a violent solution some serious waves are going to go through this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Trump is going to want him prosecuted for treason or something.

It would go worse for him than the USS TR situation did.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It hasn't really meaningfully affected him.

Nothing will ever affect Trump personally, but it was a tremendous and probably historic embarrassment for his administration (and our country, natch) that ended with the acting SecNav resigning so I'll stick to my guns on thinking a retaliation against the CMSAF would go even more poorly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Who knows, but it is delicious

https://www.eggslut.com/menu

e: lol, they apparently had to make some changes for Kuwait City

that’s uh

Not much better

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm an eggbottom

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like...what? Just what? loving do something. What good is all the lobbyist cash going to do these people if the country crashes down around them from rioting and covid?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Because if you that happens they'll still be fine.

Their Wyoming bunkers may be well-appointed but at some point there'll be no one left to leave the Starbucks at the door.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gassing a priest sure is something

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god throwing Ivanka under the bus is too loving perfect

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They would’ve tried Melania but nobody would believe she’s anywhere within 800 miles of the White House

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

He’ll swap in somebody who will be okay with rolling M1s down Connecticut Avenue.

He hasn't had any luck so far in 3 years of trying

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stravag posted:

Proving that white teenagers are the loving worst there is now a Floyd challenge where you have someone kneel on your neck and video tape it and i don't even know any more

I encourage them to shoot for 10 minutes of full body weight

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The office is talking more and more about bringing me back inside full time. “If we wanted to be held back by your family we would’ve issued you one” was said. gently caress that, I’m dragging my feet as long as possible so I don’t bring something back to my neutropenic wife.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s a park near me next to some high voltage lines so you just hear an omnipresent crackling noise. It owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve got terminal starting in October. At this point I just need to kick off the job search in earnest.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Colorado reported its first day with zero covid deaths. Even adjusting for weekend reporting, that’s a hell of an accomplishment. Our hospitalization trend has been dropping really fast over the last few weeks, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dude knock it off. Nobody’s suggesting that NZ is out of the woods but getting to so few cases that you can actually make contact tracing effective for future outbreaks is a huge deal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

"Defund/abolish the police" is the starting position for negotiation. Starting from "reform the police/make a bunch of laws that won't do poo poo" means you'll get nothing because the Republicans treat any position to the left of them as a vile communist plot.

Yeah that's great for the congressmen but there's a lot of regular folks who think the people out in the streets are screaming about ending the concept of law enforcement. Some national leadership from the left would probably help get the message across better but at the moment we've got Biden and Pelosi and I guess some TV funny-men.

"Abolish ICE" is a way easier sell IMO because they haven't even existed for long and the US was already controlling its borders well before having a militarized agency.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 9, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The lawyers for bad people are, at least sometimes, bad people

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

rebuilt military what lol

it'll happen right after he's done raiding the budget for wall funds

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat i hate all the paperwork you have to fill out after killing someone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question: the administration is pretty much okay with 20,000 new cases and ~1,000 deaths per day at this point, right?
Or, for that matter, the people, too?

The administration is probably not going to comment anymore on coronavirus at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

The world record for fastest vaccine development is still ~4 years, so I mostly think people who are hoping for 2020 vaccines are going to be disappointed.

Seems like there’s some viable candidates in advanced stages of testing right now :shrug:

If anything’ll break records it’ll be this one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Best Friends posted:

What you're saying is you're only allowed to praise Biden here, because obviously the democratic presidential candidate in an election year is going to be relevant to current events. I can see having a second thread for Biden-specific digressions, but making this thread a pro Biden safe space is ridiculous.

Jesus Christ dude you can't be so desperate to talk about Biden in every possible venue

I promise you the CE thread won't become the Diamond Joe Fan Club

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Some interesting thoughts but the discussion doesn't attempt to explain "why the virus is spreading so unevenly", it just leaves that topic off with this:

quote:

Madrigal: That’s totally right. You look at North Carolina. You look at Georgia. North Carolina is a state that could have serious trouble, whereas Georgia is not. They have similar climates, similar political environments, similar all these things. And yet, you look at North Carolina; the line is going up very consistently. You look at Georgia, and you don’t see the same thing. And I don’t know what to make of it.

I'm really curious about why there's so much weirdness going on with the spread. Even between Asian countries there's been a really wide range from countries having almost no issue with the virus to others having major problems.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It just seems increasingly pointless to try to decipher trends out of the national data when the conditions vary so much between states. There are many states that could turn into a hellzone where a 100% infection rate wouldn't move the needle at a national level.

"Well when you take NY out of the equation the national numbers look a lot different," ok well maybe that's a hint that you shouldn't be lumping a bunch of states together if it means you have to start throwing states out of the group because the numbers don't look right.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s because places are lying about their numbers and doing everything to cover it up. Florida has thousands of unexplained excess pneumonia deaths this year, for example.

This isn't just a thing in the US, though. India apparently just announced that they expect 500k cases soon enough so maybe they were lying, too, after all.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Richard Paul Russo wrote about the Tenderloin in SF turning into this kind of autonomous zone

His Carlucci books are pretty cool, if grim. He was dead on about predicting stochastic terrorism and a generally but unspectacularly miserable cyberpunk future

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do they weed out the antifa agents?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

not caring here posted:

Who in the gently caress wrestles? That's basically challenging someone to a dry hump contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQGBaq8keQ

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

"Well if I can't fire him for being black then I'll just fire him for being 2 minutes late to work that one day" has never been the airtight loophole that lovely bosses imagine exists, the problem is always that employees have an uphill battle ahead of them to show that they were singled out. It's easier to show that for things like pregnancies because you can demonstrate timing with "Hey, I had zero disciplinary issues until my boss stuck me with a bunch the day after I told him I was pregnant."

This decision at least gives LGBTQ employees the chance to have that fight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If that failure is documented anywhere then it absolutely will be used as a discriminator for training and awards despite whatever guidance they give to commanders

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wow, a white supremacist was firing a rifle at protestors? The cops must've absolutely riddled the guy, given what I've seen them do to someone holding a taser

Oh

https://twitter.com/nick_w_estes/status/1272718060273582081?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’ve often joked about creating Freedom Eagle Patriots Tactical Solutions Group, claiming we’re SOF vet founded, and then ordering the cheapest, shoddiest, most melamine-filled products from Ali Express, slapping as much MOLLE as possible on them, and then hiring buff dudes with beards and wraparounds to pose in the mountains of SoCal as though it were Afghanistan to convince insecure suburban Republicans to buy my products. By the time the fraud charges hit, I’d be in a South Pacific country without an extradition treaty.

Free Black Rifle Coffee Company tactical travel mug with every $100 or more order!

My man this country would not even consider that fraud

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol sweet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Trump will claim that the dark and stormy weather kept turnout down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

drat her powerful fists

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tfw they run out of hose water :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have not been beaten down by decades of boomers accusing me of killing mayonnaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Not sure why people act confused about the existence of viable vaccine candidates given that there's some pretty prominent ones in large-scale human testing. We're not going to know if they nuke your balls in 10 years without waiting but I don't think Oxford University is dicking around.

If you're worried about Trump putting pressure on companies to rush stuff to market then wait and see what Europe and Asia are doing.

Midjack posted:

Regardless of his qualifications, experience, or expertise he is first and foremost a government toady.

He straight up loving lied to the public weeks ago with the whole “no reason for people to wear masks” in February and March, which he recently admitted was a knowingly false statement made to manipulate public opinion to try to ensure PPE availability for healthcare workers. And the early “masks are bullshit” statements he and others made are contributing to the reluctance of Americans to mask up now.

He has admitted to lying once to manipulate public attitudes; his statements must now be verified.

The mask thing is heinous and unforgivable, imo. The scalpers were undeterred and people suffered and died over their "we're doing what we think is best" lies.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2020