Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:acab:

I wonder - how much further is this going to go? What will push this to go beyond previous riots for similar police abuse in the past?

barring a miracle where the entire police force is destroyed, "not far enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:yeshaha:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Best Friends posted:

Reducing police budgets on the local level is now a viable issue being taken up by politicians, which is amazing. I consider myself to be on the left these days but I had no idea until this week just how much of the local budget police have become. It's not too much of an exaggeration to say that big city govs are mostly police departments, with small carve outs for parks and public works.

apples, trees, etc

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Killdozer was peak white people problems. He had valid complaints but was apparently also an uncooperative dick.

I enjoy the yearly retelling like most others, but dude didn't have to be a huge piece of poo poo about it. That's why we have lawyers. Still a fun watch though, and you know the city rolled in insurance bucks like, a day later anyhow.

Killdozer: another land of contrast.

Killdozer: Right idea, wrong reason?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Soylent Pudding posted:

Killdozer more and more seems like a proto sovcit fuckwit.

Oh yeah, the guy himself was a :jerkbag:, but it's hard to look at today's police riots and not see a ripe environment for some :killdozer:.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PeterCat posted:

I admire the power fantasy of a home made Mad Max destruction vehicle, but people should know who they're celebrating. It's a slippery slope of the kind that catches people going "y'know, the Nazis had some pretty neat gear" to "y'know, Hitler had some good ideas too.."

I look up to it more for the fact that the dude didn't kill anyone other than himself and it was largely just one person's slow-moving invulnerable rock. :shrug: I'll admit I'm wrong, I would just rather see one of those rolling around than another person getting murdered by the cops for the crime of existing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Thwomp posted:

My dudes, people out in the country are losing their minds.

https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/crime/family-harassed-in-forks-after-being-accused-of-being-members-of-antifa/

But it turns out the kids are alright.

I used to live in Spokane for a bit over a year and I sure am glad I don't any more. :stare:

Whatever this was seems to be deleted now.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Frank likes to ignore me occasionally until I break out the full name. Franklin Delano Woofsevelt.

Beans, meanwhile, answers really quick to his name.

Yeah, but what's Beans's full name?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Abolishing the police 100% and going to a lawless hellscape would still be an improvement over the current environment, where said police are the driving force between violence

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some good news on the qualified immunity front:

https://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions/182142.P.pdf

tl:dr; 50 homeless black man year old gets stopped for walking next to instead of on the sidewalk. He has a knife up his sleeve, so he gets tased 4 times, attacked in nerve clusters on his spine, choked, and dogpiled by police before they shot him 22 times in the back. District court dismissed under qualified immunity grounds. 4th circuit reversed with discussion of various murders committed by police over the years, indicated they were on notice, and that the man was completely under control before they executed him.

From the end:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Holy poo poo :five:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

wow, a stern letter. couldn't even afford a stern vowel

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mlmp08 posted:

Dana Rubinstein (@danarubinstein) Tweeted:
Three percent of New Yorkers tested for coronavirus are now testing positive, Mayor de Blasio says, up from 1 percent a day or two ago

Sounds like number is going up! Mission accomplished.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Hey, how about some actual current events.

Nevada had our primaries two days ago and primarily went for mail-in (absentee) ballots. I had to hand mine in directly since I wasn't able to mail it in time. Joys of apartment life.

Here's a story on it:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jun/11/election-day-turnout-in-las-vegas-underscores-stat/

quote:

But Tuesday’s primary election offered a sneak preview of how Election Day could play out here in terms of turnout. It could be one for the ages, which vindicated the voting-rights advocates who had fought to make balloting as convenient as possible under the unprecedented circumstances.

Tuesday was a slog for voters, who waited hours to cast their ballots during a perfect storm brought on by a crush of turnout and a process that was anything but ordinary due to pandemic-related complications. Only three polling places were opened, and paper balloting replaced the usual electronic filing. Volunteers sanitized stations for voting and registration after each person, which contributed to the waits.

Nevada Democrats said in a statement that the outcome — people waiting up to six hours and the last vote coming after 3 a.m. — “are the exact problems we worked to avoid.”

“These problems were entirely avoidable by the secretary of state,” the statement read. “They are the consequences of inadequate polling locations across the state. If not for the intervention of (Nevada Democrats) and our partner groups to increase the number of in-person locations beyond just one in Clark County — which was the minimum required by the secretary of state — these problems undoubtedly would have been exacerbated.”

After Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske ordered the primary to be conducted by mail ballot, the Democrats and several partner groups filed suit seeking, among other things, for ballots to be mailed to all registered voters as opposed only to active voters, expanding the number of polling locations and allowing greater voter assistance so that community groups could collect ballots.

The original plan was to have one polling place. One. For all of Clark County. 2.2 million people.

As usual, the right wanted to continue voter suppression:

quote:

Meanwhile, groups on the right attempted to block the vote-by-mail method, claiming in an initial lawsuit that officials hadn’t taken adequate safeguards against fraud and then later revising their suit to claim mail-in balloting was “unnecessary to combat COVID-19.”

Those claims, described by progressives as attempts at voter suppression, went nowhere in court. U.S. District Judge Miranda Du shot down both versions, remarking pointedly the second time around that the amended complaint “glaringly repackages old arguments.”

Ballots are still being counted and received, but this is an initial good sign:

quote:

Clark County received 225,547 mail-in ballots, which already eclipsed the 199,994 total ballots cast in the 2018 primary and the 143,818 cast in the 2016 primary.
The unofficial results are here: https://nevada.totalvote.com/clark Turnout has slowly increased (it was about 12% yesterday morning, now it reads 13.6%).

November's going to be a real treat for turnout.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress they wanted ONE POLLING LOCATION FOR ALL OF CLARK COUNTY?!

How the gently caress do you even think that could work for anyone? Either side!

I honestly don't know. I didn't even know there were typical polling places - I was under the impression that everyone was given an absentee ballot regardless of request this election, as I and everyone I live with received one, and there were a decent number of places to drop off said ballots if you weren't able to mail them (though even there I had to wait in line for about 5 minutes to drop mine off).

Clark County has generally been decent about providing polling locations across Vegas, so this came as a huge surprise.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One more laugh out of Vegas: The local subreddit mods deleted a post about COVID-19 cases rising.

Why? Well, it got a lot of reports.

The mods flatly admit that the post didn't actually break rules, it just got a lot of reports. So that means it had to go.

As usual there's popcorn.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
More Vegas news, if y'all don't mind me being a bit active on it just because things keep happening.

Noted imbecile Michelle Fiore continues to be an imbecile:

quote:

Niger Innis who is the black conservative who reported the comments said, “She says that ‘If there’s a job opening and my white rear end is more qualified than somebody’s black rear end, then my white rear end should get the job.’” Innis also reported that Fiore said, “white lives matter.” Innis added to Fiore’s words saying, “Hispanic lives matter, Asian lives matter, black lives matter, all lives matter.”

This loving town.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

quote:

All indicators point to a suicide

no :wtf: big enough

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Reading the LGBTQ+ news today like :yeshaha:

its so good to have good news

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Soylent Pudding posted:

A good reminder that we're still running a (heavily patched) beta version of modern democracy. Unfortunately a two party system is the Nash equilibrium of first past the post voting.

I'd like to see at least one chamber (ideally the Senate) move to proportional or ranked choice. Also Australian style mandatory voting please.

Mandatory voting with publicly-funded campaigns, a more limited political campaign timeframe (rather than this endless campaign poo poo the US has evolved into), ranked-choice voting...

The problem is that all of the current inadequacies benefit those in power, so they won't be changed.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Godholio posted:

Wait, did the cops build that wall? I assumed random people walled it off to keep the cops in. :lol:

i was thinking the same thing :hmmyes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

That Works posted:

gently caress Bolton forever. Going forward with any of this info even if not allowed to testify to the senate, but just going on like 60 minutes and unloading even a portion of this would have possibly pushed the senate a lot harder to maybe think seriously about impeachment.

Instead he didn't do poo poo and waited until he could cash in on a book deal.

I mean, does anything really stop them from using the stuff in that book to push for another go at impeachment?

but also just :lol: at thinking the senate would do anything

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"two out of three smokers does not die from a smoking related illness" is, uh

well

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Colorado's governor just signed into law a bill eliminating qualified immunity.

Got a link?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

C.M. Kruger posted:

The "forums coup" April Fools joke fell flat on it's fake because that would have been a positive direction for the site.

Yep.

So this is it, then?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well yeah, but a community is nothing without the ... you know, community.

gently caress this sucks. There's a lot of decent people here.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

piL posted:

I'd like to have access to that discord link as well, though I haven't actually figured out what's going on.

Same and also it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The internet at large is a corporate-owned entity that cares only to turn you into marketing data and shove ads in your face. It does not care about information or entertainment or quality.

This forum is an outdated, scorched hellscape, untouched by the conglomerate. It does not demand your attention with constant notifications or pings or suggestions, it does not reorder or hide or "recommend" things. It is a place where you can come on your own terms, read at your own pace, and have a healthy discussion with other individuals.

Hopefully the forums are somehow removed from Lowtax and we can keep this kind of space going, because losing it would be an incredible loss.