Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Buttcoin purse posted:

Also a few days ago (I think) someone posted a Band of Brothers clip. It made me realize that if WWII had actually been about not tolerating fascism it would have started a lot earlier, but instead everyone went for appeasement and in the end it was more about protecting everyone's interests. No, fascism is actually fine so long as you don't threaten our financial interests or territory. Communism on the other hand, now that's something we definitely won't stand for. Okay I could have that all wrong, I never paid enough attention to history :v:

e: :cawg: speak of the devil

The thing to remember about "Appeasement" is that much of Britain's (and especially France's) leadership did not believe Hitler would be satisfied by taking the Sudentenland. But the problem that they faced was that they were only twenty years removed from the Great War, and a large number of people believed that another war would mean another stalemate and meat grinder that would chew up millions of young lives over marginal gains of territory for years on end. For large swaths of the public, this was unacceptable, and the diplomatic efforts to appease Germany and prevent a new war were widely popular.

On the other side of the coin, the military forces of both France and Britain had badly atrophied during the interwar period and especially during the Great Depression. Military budgets in both countries had been slashed to the bone, and as a result a (obviously unstated) motivation for appeasement was to simply buy time to rearm. In Britain, for example, the Hawker Hurricane had just entered service in December 1937, and had sixteen aircraft available by February 1938. By the time war did come around in September 1939, the British had over five hundred, as well as three hundred Spitfires (And more modern tanks, rifles, bullets, etc.)

Ultimately, the Munich Agreement and the appeasement policy weren't about "tolerating fascism", but instead about trying to prevent a war that most people desperately wanted to avoid, while also buying time to prepare for the inevitable. It's arguable from a purely military perspective as to whether France and Britain did the right thing - Germany also benefited greatly from the extra year to prepare, after all - but it's also very much arguable as to whether much of the public would have even supported a war against Germany before Hitler's further broken agreements and declaration of war against Poland made it abundantly clear his ambitions could not be satisfied.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Next month is a decade away.

I'll believe there's a next month when I see it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

Hell world will be DJT loses the popular vote by even more than 2016 but wins EC

It is worth noting that while this is technically possible, it's highly unlikely. Trump won by extremely bare margins in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, and any upswing in support for Biden by more than a point or two over Hillary is likely to carry those states - as well as others such as Florida and Arizona (And if Biden wins Florida, which is not unlikely (!) then he only has to win one other state over Hillary's margin to get to 270).

personally, assuming the fundamentals of the election don't change radically within the next five months (which, this being 2020, is always possible), I think Biden is very likely to pull it out. The real question is what the margin in the Senate ends up being, and if the wave is large enough to prevent Joe Manchin from being the most important vote in the Senate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Stravag posted:

I still just hate the fact that it is technically possible to win the election with like 26% of the popular vote because electoral college is what matters

Edit: Found the vid. 22%. Skip to 5 minutes in https://youtu.be/7wC42HgLA4k

Oh yeah, the EC absolutely needs to be abolished. Senate too (or at least completely reformed).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Not surprising, Drew Brees has been pretty solidly disappointing on these kinds of issues for a while.

One of the things I do appreciate about Matt Stafford is that he has no social media presence and is a fairly private person, which makes it easier to root for him and pretend he doesn't hold all the views a rich white dude who was raised in Texas and went to college in Georgia probably does.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Also the 3rd Amendment is usually seen as a joke because of how rarely it comes up. It was originally written as a response to King George trying to quarter British troops in Colonial homes against their will, and I'm pretty sure it has never come up since then.

https://www.theonion.com/third-amendment-rights-group-celebrates-another-success-1819569379

It has a few times, but it's exceedingly rare. Most recent example I can think of is from a few years back, when cops were occupying someone's house as part of some kind of standoff, and the homeowner tried to sue them on third amendment grounds (which was ultimately unsuccessful).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/1268353415295500289?s=19

Justin Amash and Ayanna Pressley on the same side of an issue, what an age we live in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I’m glad other people have full names for their dogs. Margo is Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale and Orion is Orion Seacrest Type

:golfclap:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Midjack posted:

They probably got them sold as a system so in addition to chemical munitions they get flash bang, wood baton, beanbag, etc so that the guy with the fotay doesn’t have to miss out on the fun if he can’t use chems.

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1269117465583329280?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It is honestly amazing how lovely SPD appears to be, even in comparison to other major metropolitan police departments.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also in other news, I was able to find one important issue that Biden has been consistent on for all these years:

https://twitter.com/JuliaTerruso/status/1269711353226440712?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Inscrutable insults?

Well, that, and also Frank Rizzo being a tremendous rear end in a top hat who doesn't deserve a statue (which is true)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Weirdly the thing that annoys me the most in this post is when he pointed out the origin of their logo. The 66th ID was a white unit that only served for a few months near the tail end of the war. That they effectively chose to honor this unit as opposed to, say, the highly decorated and often overlooked 761st Tank Battalion just speaks to sheer laziness more than anything else.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Leavemywife posted:

Here's something I've never understood. Why the Jews? Why do so many groups hate the Jews and want to eradicate them?

This is a very complicated question but a lot of it comes down to Jewish being an easy target to hate for a long time in many parts of Europe, for a variety of reasons—chief among them being an easily identifiable minority with their own language, practices, and culture, being a religious minority at a time when religious tolerance was "no", and, most importantly, not being subject to Christian restrictions on usury (i.e. charging interest on loans). The last one especially is where many of the biggest stereotypes of Jewish people being money-grubbing and controlling the banks come from, as for a decent period in European history many of the most wealthy and notable financiers in Europe were Jewish. So, even though religion gradually became less important over the years in Europe, the stereotypes remained and even expanded into modern-day conspiracies about things like "Rothschild-controlled central banks."

Of course, in the 20th century it didn't help when Israel was established as an explicitly Jewish state, therefore making every sane person protesting Israel's actions have to painfully explain that they are not anti-semitic, while also trying to awkwardly edge away from the dude protesting alongside them holding a sign covered in stars of david and dollar signs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bulletsponge13 posted:

One of the most gut punchingly emotional was watching an old special about the 761st, and they had this old dude on there. He recounted how during the Battle of the Buldge, as a young Infantryman, a TD showed up, and when he saw it was an all black crew, quipped something to the effect of "The Germans must really be winning if they have N-words doing the fighting."
He broke down again recounting how much he regretted saying that, and still can't apologize enough. Said they never wavered and saved his life by taking out some armor.

One of the things that gets me is that for the men of the 761st, and the 92nd Infantry Division, and the Tuskeegee Airmen, and every other African-American soldier who fought in World War II were doing it for a country that hated them. Men like Ruben Rivers, Benjamin O. Davis, and countless others would have been loving shot if they tried to buy a house in the town where I was born. Many of them conscripted, but they fought and died anyway, and in many cases had to be push to be allowed to fight, often because they desperately wanted the chance to prove that they were men and Americans like anyone else.

Some of the bravest men ever to fight for this country, and every one of them deserve to be recognized.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
No, no, he's got a point. John Bell Hood after all played an important role in the Union victories at Antitem and Gettysburg, as well as Sherman's success in the Atlanta campaign, and of course without Hood who's to say if the Union would have prevailed at the Battle of Franklin, or if the Army of Tennessee would have been destroyed at Nashville? A military record such as Hood's truly is legendary, and it's impossible to say how many more Union lives would have been lost without his leadership.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Notahippie posted:

I can't find the tweet, but a Twitter historian said something about how his favorite Bragg story was that he was such a prideful fuckup that when his fuckups piled up enough that he felt that he had to submit his resignation to Lee he was flabberghasted when Lee accepted it.

Edit: found it https://twitter.com/cjane87/status/1270789899504046083?s=20

It's deeply ironic that the two biggest army bases named after Confederate generals aren't even named after good generals, but instead two of the most incompetent army commanders the South had. To quote my favorite Bragg story:

Grant's Memoirs posted:

I have heard in the old army an anecdote very characteristic of Bragg. On one occasion, when stationed at a post of several companies commanded by a field officer, he was himself commanding one of the companies and at the same time acting as post quartermaster and commissary. He was first lieutenant at the time, but his captain was detached on other duty. As commander of the company he made a requisition upon the quartermaster (himself) for something he wanted. As quartermaster he declined to fill the requisition, and endorsed on the back of it his reasons for so doing. As company commander he responded to this, urging that his requisition called for nothing but what he was entitled to, and that it was the duty of the quartermaster to fill it. As quartermaster he still persisted that he was right. In this condition of affairs Bragg referred the whole matter to the commanding officer of the post. The latter, when he saw the nature of the matter referred, exclaimed: "My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarrelled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarrelling with yourself!"

e: I've got a copy of Grant's Memoirs saved as a PDF on my laptop, which is where I got this quote from, and laughed out loud when I read one of the subsequent paragraphs:

quote:

It may be that Longstreet was not sent to Knoxville for the reason stated, but because Mr. Davis had an exalted opinion of his own military genius, and thought he saw a chance of "killing two birds with one stone." On several occasions during the war he came to the relief of the Union army by means of his SUPERIOR MILITARY GENIUS

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 10, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There's no need to be an rear end in a top hat or be snippy about things, we're all adults and I'm pretty sure we can discuss events relating to Biden and our support and/or disappointment thereof without immediately thinking the worst of each other or closing the thread.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress they wanted ONE POLLING LOCATION FOR ALL OF CLARK COUNTY?!

How the gently caress do you even think that could work for anyone? Either side!

I'm reading reports that the polling place was also located in a cellar, with no lights, without stairs, in the back of a disused lavatory, and behind a sign reading "beware the leopard".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

The RNC was officially moved to Jacksonville.

God drat it.

What's incredible about this is North Carolina has both a Gubernatorial and a Senate Election in addition to the presidential race, whereas Florida has neither. Trump is literally cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

It's not just any Friday night, but the anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting.

The administration is full of very bad people.

Absolute loving monsters, every single one of them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Literally everyone on the planet should be able to agree that John Bolton is a piece of poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Here's some vanishingly rare good legislation coming out of the Senate:

https://twitter.com/NPCA/status/1273287833768407043?s=19

It's still inadequate to the deficit in maintenance, but hopefully it'll do a lot of good for the parks and other public lands - especially since this year the parks have lost a ton of revenue and staffing due to COVID.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

quote:

the Beto O’Rourke of Venezuela.

alright I'm not gonna lie this is extremely funny

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BigDave posted:

At this point I'm just assuming every part of American English and culture is racist in some way.

We learned from the best worst! :911::hf::britain:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BUG JUG posted:

The western theater is a chaotic mess that you really need to understand a LOT of background to really get (look up Stand Waite for example). The Eastern theater plays out like a much more traditional military campaign.

In addition to this, the Eastern theater took place pretty much exclusively within a hundred miles of DC, which made it feel much more urgent as well as being much easier to report on.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

A Bad Poster posted:

Death to monarchs. No exceptions. Not that hard to understand.

For me, the most telling part of Killmonger's character was in the museum, when he takes the mask that was on display. He was right, of course, that many of the artifacts in the British Museum (And indeed, in that room) were outright stolen, as part of Britain's colonial legacy. But by taking the mask merely because he wants to wear it, he reveals that his rhetoric is merely itself a mask for his own desires of revenge and self-aggrandizement.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

if there was any one thing the founders of this country did right, it was saying no more motherfucking kings

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's almost certainly not gonna happen but man I would love for this to be what finally gets Barr impeached.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

PeterCat posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/marxandl...agenumber%3d572

“Iowa, her affections, like the rivers of her borders, flow to an inseparable union.”

Iowa is just really into saving the Union okay

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

Fox is not the same as Fox News.

Fox has the Simpsons, after all.

Also the part with the Simpsons is what Disney bought last year (Along with everything else but Fox News and Fox Sports IIRC)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd appreciate a link to the discord, if anyone has it handy.

I've been holding off but yeah same

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I hope the forums stick around too, it's not like Lowtax does anything around here anyway.

Moving on from that, GOOD NEWS (for once)

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1275803793192615943?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
In a way it is heartening to see all the folks coming out of the woodwork in spite of everything. This is a good and strong community, and I'm hopeful that it'll survive past Lowtax.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
don't worry guys, I heard the taxman retained this guy as his lawyer

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1275791945521127424?s=20

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Even though he doesn't need them, he still needs to fight for them.

eeehhh, it depends. One of the mistakes Clinton made for instance was refusing to pull resources out of Iowa to shore up Michigan and Wisconsin, and we all know how that went. imo the winning strategy is to invest in states that will win you the election (Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida), and then after that focus on states with important downticket races—North Carolina, Iowa, Georgia, etc. Last thing they'll want to do is spread money into states that are close, but still leaning Trump, and don't have any ancillary benefits like Senate or Gubernatorial races.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Welllll, this is not what I was expecting to log on to, gently caress you 2020 :(

not gonna lie this has been my reaction to most of 2020, including the current forums drama:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It Might Be Happening:

https://twitter.com/cascamike/status/1276167165838856193?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

What's the significance of a progressive getting beaten by the Turtle instead of a centrist getting beaten?

Probably not much to be completely honest, but it is always nice to see progressives winning elections and he (probably) has a (slightly) better shot of actually winning the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Especially coming from Fox, I just see it as the stick they're using to motivate the base if the big juicy carrot of racism doesn't suffice.

Weirdly Fox's polling outfit is actually in the top tier for accuracy, leading to the occasional hilarity where the talking heads have to attack the numbers their own network is putting out.