Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Hey hotheads,

Can anyone recommend a sauce that has some good heat but just really hits you with vinegar? I like the salt and vinegar chips thst give you acid burns for reference.

Have you thought about just making your own pepper vinegar with habeneros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Hey hotheads,

Can anyone recommend a sauce that has some good heat but just really hits you with vinegar? I like the salt and vinegar chips thst give you acid burns for reference.

are you looking for something like this? https://heathotsauce.com/products/goat-rider?variant=39320714510433

i just bought it, i havent opened it yet but vinegar is supposed to be the main flavor. i can let you know how it tastes. edit: just tried it, has a strong heat to it but not overwhelming, you definitely get a lot of the balsamic vingegar, some maple sweetness, but it has a noticebly smoky-flavor to it, almost like adobo sauce with the smoked paprika and smoked peppers. may not be what you want here since i wouldn't say it's super strong in the vinegar you're looking for

i'd probably second Ugly's rec there is i think you're going to have to make your own if you want a super duper vinegar sauce. usually overbearing vinegar is a sign of cheap sauces and that's not what most people are selling

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 25, 2021

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haha I love south park

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks for reminding me I need to reorder some of this tasty stuff

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Put a bit of actually hot sauce in a bunch of Franks imo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You could also make a Carolina bbq sauce with some cider vinegar a bunch of Tabasco and black pepper and mustard seed

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

That piri piri hot sauce is super tasty.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know, piri piri, specifically, to make 'piri piri chicken' is one of those things that I just never quite 'got'.

I mean, I DO get it, in terms of, it's savory hot sauce chicken, like, that's an easy enough concept to dig on and I get why people love it, even. But for whatever reason, piri piri itself to me just doesn't taste that great. It's just sort of one-note and 'flat'. It's spicy, and it's salty, yep. But in general just seems like it's "there".
The bottled version of the sauce that I had came directly from a Portuguese shop outside of Toronto where there's an ex-pat community of sorts (or at least was, I believe), so as far as I know the stuff I've tried is the legit deal and I wanted to be like "Yes. This is it. Cool!" But it wasn't meant to be.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

You know, piri piri, specifically, to make 'piri piri chicken' is one of those things that I just never quite 'got'.

I mean, I DO get it, in terms of, it's savory hot sauce chicken, like, that's an easy enough concept to dig on and I get why people love it, even. But for whatever reason, piri piri itself to me just doesn't taste that great. It's just sort of one-note and 'flat'. It's spicy, and it's salty, yep. But in general just seems like it's "there".
The bottled version of the sauce that I had came directly from a Portuguese shop outside of Toronto where there's an ex-pat community of sorts (or at least was, I believe), so as far as I know the stuff I've tried is the legit deal and I wanted to be like "Yes. This is it. Cool!" But it wasn't meant to be.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 25, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In retrospect, and now not actually having it on hand, I wonder how piri piri would go with grilled oysters.
I'm betting that's a good combo and pairing it with some charred cebollitas would be a hit. Someone make this and then deliver it to me right now thank you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I had grilled sardines on a Portuguese bun with piri piri from a Portuguese cultural house or whatever one time and it was really good.

And it was the end of the day so they gave all the leftover buns to my friend. Like two big rear end bags of Portuguese buns.

That was a good day.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

humble house ancho & morita

smoky tang goes good on everything

i won't be checking the thread again so just pm me your thanks

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I accidentally bought a mango hot sauce at Whole Foods the other day. It's awful. Don't put your goddamn fruits in my hot sauce

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

that distinction between fruit and vegetable comes down to uh... not science really

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve had a few pineapple hot sauces that were really good.

I really like them on pizza

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ive changed my thread vote from a 2 to a 1 after this mango development

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fruits in hot sauces aren't any issue for me, have at 'em is what I tell everyone around me like the people in church or that guy looking at soup at the grocery store. "Just have AT them fruits in hot sauces" and most times they agree.
That said I'm not usually much on mango in general. Not what you'd call a "mango guy" unless the mood hits me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i consider mango to be very useful and versatile across a very wide spectrum of dishes and accompaniments

that said im not part of the mango cartel either or anything, im just more inclined to believe that somebody got a bad hotsauce that was mango rather than mango being disallowed entry into the hot sauce arena

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

many cultures and regional dialects actually refer to mangoes simply as "Hot Mothers" because of their 'ability to deliver' heat in various sauces it's a beautiful mix of the human condition, linguistics, and fruit imo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

like to put tajin on watermalone

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

Do you have a Festival foods down in that neck of the woods? If so, they and I think Woodman's stock a brand called "De La Viuda" in both red and verde varieties and they're spectacular, especially the verde which is like a real good 'Herdez -verde' except it has an honest "Green Bell Pepper" note to it which is surprising and fresh, it's good and hard to describe. The red sauce is 'Tapatio with a good Louisiana hot sauce stirred in', as much as "It's good enough to buy, friggin great on eggs" but like, I wouldn't write my mother about it as the ship was sinking type of hot sauce.

I picked up the green pepper De La Viuda. I just tasted it with my finger but it reminds me of the Yellow Bird serrano. I found it at Festival.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

like to put tajin on everything I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I lost all my hot sauce tolerance when I went on a low acid diet for a few years. These days sriracha and hot no name salsa are good enough heat for me. Cholula, valentina, just a good taste and enough heat for this baby tongue.