Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Is he one of those old school cranks who argue that you have to literally satisfy Kochs postulates. They used to argue the same thing with HIV and AIDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nothus posted:

Is he one of those old school cranks who argue that you have to literally satisfy Kochs postulates. They used to argue the same thing with HIV and AIDS.

There was an anti-masker white supremacist waving a sign that said "KOCH'S POSTULATES NOT SATISFIED". It's like those creationists who say that because Darwin's theory of gradualism was flawed, we need to throw all of evolution in the garbage.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
this is why cases are going to keep increasing

in 9 days, Iowas 7 day avg daily cases have increased 28%, and there's still this sense that everything is getting better from here on out. people are saying back to normal this summer, so people are thinking they can go a bit more relaxed now and it will be fine and poo poo is just going to loving explode

hopefully without as many deaths this time through

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Rollie Fingers posted:

Just before Christmas my sister-in-law dropped off a few dishes she'd made. We ate them and they were good. Next day she and her entire family tested positive for Roni.

I asked her if she had any symptoms while cooking and she admitted she had a cough and a slight fever. Me and the wife never tested positive for Covid in the weeks after so it's safe to say being infected via food or fomites it isn't likely given we had eaten a large dinner laced with millions of coronaviruses.

Totally agree op, that's why, famously, listening to the science means anecdotes and data are on even footing and as you say, we can safely make life or death conclusions based on this extremely cool story stuff that did happen dot txt

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Happy Thread posted:

Actually it's the other way, I had assumed Australia was quarantining shipments from unknown randos, seeing that it's best not to give the virus any uncertain opportunity to enter one of the last untouched populations. Shows me for assuming anyone anywhere would give a gently caress.

Nah I regularly order poo poo from America or China and get it within days. Imo fomite was always bs and it was only pushed because washing hands is a lot easier than keeping people out of the same room.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

Totally agree op, that's why, famously, listening to the science means anecdotes and data are on even footing and as you say, we can safely make life or death conclusions based on this extremely cool story stuff that did happen dot txt

Wasn't the original quote "The plural of anecdote is data"? :thunk:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wasn't the original quote "The plural of anecdote is data"? :thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83MEuLoz9Y

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

fosborb posted:

this is why cases are going to keep increasing

in 9 days, Iowas 7 day avg daily cases have increased 28%, and there's still this sense that everything is getting better from here on out. people are saying back to normal this summer, so people are thinking they can go a bit more relaxed now and it will be fine and poo poo is just going to loving explode

hopefully without as many deaths this time through

It is back to normal. Everything is packed and nobody wears masks around here lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mr Hootington posted:

It is back to normal. Everything is packed and nobody wears masks around here lol

iowans traveled more in early February this year than they did in early February 2020, loving wild

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

inferis posted:

which would you rather have, a comfortable conspiracy theory or to know for a fact that everything sucks and there’s nothing you can do about it?

the latter is my personal conspiracy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

“Don’t get caught up, necessarily, on the number game, because it’s a really good vaccine, and what we need is as many good vaccines as possible,” Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, said in an interview on Saturday. “Rather than parsing the difference between 94 and 72, accept the fact that now you have three highly effective vaccines. Period.”

Don't get hung up on the fact that you're going to get a significantly less effective shot you loving pleb

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I referenced this sketch once in college and my wife fell in love with me as a result.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"Don't get caught up on numbers" has been our approach to the pandemic so far and it's worked out fantastically.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Oldest Man posted:

Don't get hung up on the fact that you're going to get a significantly less effective shot you loving pleb

To give Fauci his due, everyone getting 72% is a lot better than a percent getting 90%.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

To give Fauci his due, everyone getting 72% is a lot better than a percent getting 90%.

The J+J Vaccine also seems to be really effective at preventing the more severe hospitalization cases.

Plus easier logistics due to the standard storage temp and only one shot needed

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

Narrator: everyone did not get 72%

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

I'll take J&J if offered, but I really want an mRNA vaccine so I can turn into an alligator or whatever

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

etalian posted:

The J+J Vaccine also seems to be really effective at preventing the more severe hospitalization cases.

Plus easier logistics due to the standard storage temp and only one shot needed

yeah this is the big thing. especially if they can make them at scale quickly. still BETTER, but not ideal.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bearjew posted:

I'll take J&J if offered, but I really want an mRNA vaccine so I can turn into an alligator or whatever

same and also i dont want covid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

yeah this is the big thing. especially if they can make them at scale quickly. still BETTER, but not ideal.

J+J is behind the bell curve (lol only ~4 million does produced in the first production lots since late 2020) so odds are most people will be getting a mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

etalian posted:

J+J is behind the bell curve (lol only ~4 million does produced in the first production lots since late 2020) so odds are most people will be getting a mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer)

That the "easy" vaccine with a lower efficacy is going to be what you get if you're in a poorer, more vulnerable community with a higher rate of mortality and/or chance permanent damage to begin with is inequitable as gently caress and telling people not to ask questions about that can gently caress off.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

mRNA (pfizer) or bust idgaf

I’m not taking j&j

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Still LOLing about those 100m JJ doses that vanished as soon as approval was on the horizon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

mRNA (pfizer) or bust idgaf

I’m not taking j&j

Look I'll take diet slut juice at this point

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

That the "easy" vaccine with a lower efficacy is going to be what you get if you're in a poorer, more vulnerable community with a higher rate of mortality and/or chance permanent damage to begin with is inequitable as gently caress and telling people not to ask questions about that can gently caress off.
if it's far easier to make and distribute J&J it will end this sooner with fewer deaths in those poorer communities even if it's only 72% vs 95%

but lmao if they're lying and they're far behind what they promised

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomad2020 posted:

Still LOLing about those 100m JJ doses that vanished as soon as approval was on the horizon.

yeah I guess they had trouble counting the difference between 4 million and 100 million...

The only other bright side is for Pfizer they have found some process improvement as a result of the initial manufacturing to ramp up production.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shipon posted:

if it's far easier to make and distribute J&J it will end this sooner with fewer deaths in those poorer communities even if it's only 72% vs 95%

"Marginalized people should accept leavings and be happy they got anything" is for the other forum

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah I regularly order poo poo from America or China and get it within days. Imo fomite was always bs and it was only pushed because washing hands is a lot easier than keeping people out of the same room.

It was a big part in crushing the flu

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah let's not listen to doctors who point out having another option to increase supply and having a simpler 1 dose administration is actually a good thing?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

We're opening up lots of poo poo on Monday and these shitheads are still out protesting and throwing fireworks at people.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

etalian posted:

Yeah let's not listen to doctors who point out having another option to increase supply and having a simpler 1 dose administration is actually a good thing?

Having more things is good. Asking questions about who gets the good things and who gets the less good things and who gets nothing is also good. Telling people "not to get caught up on the numbers game" is bullshit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in a perfect world the J&J would be used as a stopgap to vaccinate as many people as humanly possible, preferably the lowest risk groups, who then get an mRNA vaccine after the fact but lol its america so i mean its better than what we had before at least

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Taking all the qualities of a vaccine and rolling them up into a single number is illiterate garbage. Lots of vaccines like chicken pox and polio have lower effectiveness than the JJ covid vaccine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eh, it’s fine, 0 people with the j&j vaccine went to the hospital, that’s pretty good

the efficacy numbers everyone’s freaking out about is whether you had any symptoms at all

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

We're opening up lots of poo poo on Monday and these shitheads are still out protesting and throwing fireworks at people.

It isnt about the lockdowns :ssh:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

anime was right posted:

in a perfect world the J&J would be used as a stopgap to vaccinate as many people as humanly possible, preferably the lowest risk groups, who then get an mRNA vaccine after the fact but lol its america so i mean its better than what we had before at least

I would be happy if my kids got the j&j, tbh, and think it's a good idea.

but lol governors decide who gets what. if a perception of quality persists, that poo poo is the only chance prisoners have to get vaxxed before any constituents

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
The Superintendent wants to do full in person schooling for the elementary schools by the 4th quarter. Very cool. I should get more of those p100 pancake filters.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

eh, it’s fine, 0 people with the j&j vaccine went to the hospital, that’s pretty good

the efficacy numbers everyone’s freaking out about is whether you had any symptoms at all

More symptomatic cases almost certainly means more infections and more onward transmission. That's a problem magnified in communities that have more individuals with existing underlying conditions and whose people are already being hedged out of vaccine access due to existing systemic medical racism that prematurely kills them with preventable conditions and saddles them with more comorbidities at younger ages.

quote:

(CNN)At least 83% of Alabama's Black population lived in counties where life expectancy among Black people did not meet age requirements for vaccine eligibility, according to a CNN analysis.

Before Monday, only frontline essential workers, long-term care residents and staff, and people 75 and older were eligible to receive the Covid-19 vaccine in Alabama.

Yet, in 47 of the state's 67 counties, life expectancy among Black people is less than 75 years, according to data from County Health Rankings, a collaborative project between the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute.

Life expectancy for White people in Alabama, however, is less than 75 years in only 25 counties. https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/health/alabamas-black-population-vaccine-eligibility/index.html

Will more shots help? Yes. Will they disproportionately help marginalized communities less? Also yes. Every step in the funnel of first of whittling down the baseline health of these communities, then increasing their risk of exposure to the virus, then disproportionately reducing their access to the vaccine, then leaving them with the lowest quality of the vaccines for the ones that they do get, and finally saddling them with lower quality medical care when they do get sick will mean more of them die or suffer lasting damage.

So yeah it's absolutely correct to get hung up on the numbers game because this whole thing is a numbers game and it's rigged.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You're not saying anything about the vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

spaceblancmange posted:

It was a big part in crushing the flu

That's good. I've always washed my hands regularly and properly due to my poo poo immune system so didn't have to change habits there.

Never touched elevator buttons etc either.