Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

HAHAHAHAHAHA THIS poo poo IS STILL GOING

CHAPTER 4: The pandemic continues was won!!. We did it folks. After the pandemic spread throughout the entire planet, infecting 6,378,239 individuals (officially as of 6/02 23:18 EST) and very very certainly much more than that (unofficially), we stopped caring and by previously set precedents won the campaign. Congrats!

COVID-19 / SARS-nCoV-2 or just simply Corona ripped through the major population centers of America, has start to throw quite a party down in Brazil, and denies ever being involved in Russia. Is it in your neck of the woods? Most likely! However, that is fine, since the pandemic is now over in our minds and you, citizen, should go outside and consume. Please note if you are in a competent nation like New Zealand, Taiwan, or South Korea you may find this information to be untrue.

We are several pump and dump schemes closer to a vaccine, providing little discernible progress in the last month. Even if one of the reserach teams that aren't running a stock fraud succeed, there will still be a long period between their success and the worldwide manufacture and administration of a safe and effective vaccine. Until then, the best way of dealing with COVID-19 is to avoid catching it in the first place, if possible:

• Wear masks whenever you're out and around
  • Wear a goddamn mask whenever you are out and around, you animal. Preferably N95 or better for your safety.
  • Don't share air with others
  • Avoid extended periods indoors with others or where others have congregated, especially if unmasked
  • Wash your hands frequently
  • Keep several feet of physical distance between you and other people (can travel up to 35ft)
  • Avoid going to public, crowded spaces
  • Stockpile beans.

Do not inject yourself with Lysol, drain cleaner, ultraviolet light, or really anything Donald J. Trump suggests for you to inject.

Please remember, pestilence is praxis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR_kBgMMIko

FUCK COREY PERRY has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

INFORMATION FOR STAYING ALIVE
it appeals to some folks

people are starting to get vaccines! wow they exist, they don't murder you, and they come at the low low cost of becoming a crocodilian slut. get yours if you can. they're starting to be widely available in the usa, and coming to other countries. note: once you are vaxxed up you can still get & transmit covid to others so act accordingly

http://www.healthdata.org/covid/covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-summary

(color = estimate, don't take this as gospel)

if you are a resident of a noted hellstate you probably are you should probably get a respirator if you can afford one and you are forced to go outside regularly

snake and bake posted:

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

i think this is all of them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

mask,store,arfjason
someone asked about half-face respirators (this has been mentioned several times, we really should have a copy/paste catchall for this)
You want a 3M 6*** series

Size is denoted by three digits after the ‘6’
6100: small, 6200: medium, 6300: large
Takes 3M bayonet cartridges

Respirator, size medium: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/6200-07025/7693860

Another option, size medium: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7502/6827884

3M 7093 cartridges are sealed P100 cartridges. Best overall protection. Digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7093/6827875

digikey is a legit place that ships quickly

Happy Thread posted:

Everyone should consider getting this 3M respirator from ebay. It's much cheaper, and it's the one I use every day so I can vouch for it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224042126108

The cartridges are tear gas proof in addition to COVID proof --- p100 filters remove even smaller particles than n95. It does have a nice round protrusion for its exhalation valve so you can easily seal that off with rubber band + paper towel. Others don't.

Reusable forever for only $40. In non industrial settings where you're not breathing solvents all day it will never get clogged. Lightly bleach with a paper towel and dry it before you put it on every day to disinfect it, making sure not to get the actual filter innards wet. Wear it much looser than you think you need or you'll hurt your face. Do the seal test to make sure, but it will still seal fine if you have it lined up right.

snake and bake posted:

Thanks again, Happy Thread. I got my respirator a few days ago. I was a little worried that the medium would be too big because I'm tiny, but I read somewhere that medium is standard because it fits like 90% of people. It adjusts quite a bit and fits me fine. Small must be for kids, or adults smaller than me (5' tall female). My partner has a big moon face and it seems to fit him too, though he'll have to shave before we can do a proper fit test.

I definitely can't wear my regular glasses with it, and I don't see how safety goggles would work unless they're designed to go with this mask, since it covers the bridge of my nose. I paired it with these swim goggles, which worked perfectly. Any similar style swim goggles would probably work.

Nocturtle posted:

I found these "goggles" to fit with my half-mask, but it likely depends on the size of your face. They're also indirectly vented, which is good for wearing for extended periods without too much fogging but probably not so great if you're in a plague cauldron. OTOH unless you're a medical worker performing aerosolizing procedures they're probably ok.

Lovelyn posted:

Respirator chat:

I live in rainy WA and bought a 3M 7501. Highly recommend for anyone with a petite face - molded N95s didn't even come close to sealing for me. Felt very safe doing one last grocery run before the apocalypse (curbside from a union shop) while giving this baby a test drive

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

word I have the same rigout

You can find goggles to fit the nosepiece and accommodate glasses, but they're tricky. I found these, there are several permutations of the same design floating around: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084VJCBKH

Could be especially hard if you have a small face though. they're definitely made for a face larger than mine, an average height male

logikv9 posted:

envo masks are good and if you buy a cover you’re effectively covering the one-way valve, which i assume the 3M mask has

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

The Envo looks great and I wanted to love it (especially the gel pad around the edges!) but it doesn't fit my large-ish face. Large-face-havers are cautioned.

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

if you want some more resources for your post 3m's respirator pdf guide is here: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/815734O/3m-reusable-respirators-product-catalog.pdf that has the full list of all reusable respirators & cartridges. p6 has a features table, p8 has the list of cartridges and protection levels

honeywell has a similar catalog here: https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Supplementary/Documents_and_Downloads/Other/4294974990/1033.aspx. masks start on pdf page 3, filters start on pdf page 5.

honeywell also has a safety poster on how to put the mask on / perform positive negative checks https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Sup...97403/1033.aspx

finally honeywell masks are what you get from mcmaster. their prices are slightly elevated but it's usually ground shipped 1-2 days. they do have 3m filters though. i got my 3m stuff from digikey. their site has a warning that your order might be taken for public health reasons but I don't think anyone has had issues with that. you can also try mouser.

Facebook Aunt posted:

e:f,b. gently caress it, Imma post anyway.

I like the Honeywell North designs because the way the exhalation valve on the bottom sticks out makes it a little easier to cover with cloth to provide a polite amount of exhalation filtration for your filthy breath. A rubberband should work to hold a bit of cloth or filter material. When I was looking around they also seem a few dollars cheaper than the 3M masks with similar features. They are both perfectly respectable companies so I'm not sure why.

I haven't tried it myself, but if you need to talk a lot at work the Honeywell North® RU8500 Half Mask has a speech diaphragm that makes it easier to be understood. You should be able to find this one for around $60 plus filters. This one is hard to find in stock though.

https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Products/Respiratory_Protection/Honeywell_North%C2%AE_RU8500_Half_Mask.aspx

If you don't need to talk much and want to save a few bucks (or you can't find the 8500 in stock anywhere) the Honeywell North 7700 Series Half Mask seems good. It's silicone to make it comfortable to wear all day. This is the one I ordered, it hasn't come yet. Widely available for around $40 plus filters.

https://safety.honeywell.com/en-us/products/by-category/respiratory-protection/air-purifying-respirator-apr/7700-series-half-mask

If you are poor as hell and/or only need it for short trips, the Honeywell North 5500 Series Half Mask may be right for you. Shop around and you should be able to find this one for around 20 bux plus filters. It's basically the same design as the 7700, but is made with cheaper elastomer instead of silicone.

https://safety.honeywell.com/en-us/products/by-category/respiratory-protection/air-purifying-respirator-apr/5500-series-half-mask

You'll also need filters. I ordered the 7580P100 particulate filter. P100 is as good as it gets, and I liked the hard cartridge protecting the filter. They also have P100 pancake filters which don't stick out so far if you need to stick your head in tight spaces. The P100 filters seem to run around $20 a pair, but there is a ton of variability in price.

When shopping, look around a bit. I found that amazon had higher prices than some other online retailers, probably from assholes buying up anything cheap and relisting it "at what the market will bear". Amazon also has a problem with counterfeits, there are a lot of reviews from folks who say they got fake filters. Or opened filters. :stare:

The established industrial/scientific supply stores aren't jacking up prices as much, and have long-term supply lines for genuine products. Maybe I'm naive, but they seem less likely to gently caress over their customer base for a quick buck than an anonymous reseller on amazon or a fly-by-night pandemic specialty shop.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, getting wet would probably damage them. Luckily they sell shower caps for them. N750029.

Bottom right in this picture.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2021-107/default.html

The exhaust valve of your respirator is going to provide filtration similar to or better than a surgical mask.

From a purely personal perspective, whether you think that's enough as far as protecting other people is entirely up to you.

From the standpoint of compliance with whatever establishment might take issue with your respirator having an "uncovered exhaust valve", you might want to have a back-up solution, whether in the form of having a surgical mask set to fit over the valve, or a KN95 in your car or bag as a spare (and obviously make the change-over in the outdoors, away from other people, when possible).

if you wear a neck gaiter you're a fucknugget, they spread covid worse than if you are wearing nothing over your face, don't kill people because you want to be tacticool you fool

facetoucher cat posted:

Also I don't know who needs to hear this but if you melt butter, peanut butter, and milk chocolate then mix in crushed up saltines, walnuts, mini marshmallows, then put it in the fridge when you realize it the next day you'll thank your past self

FUCK COREY PERRY has issued a correction as of 20:41 on Jul 31, 2021

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jul 31, 2021

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
glad we're all dead now

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Only leninism can stop the roni

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
all viruses matter

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Very fine viruses on both sides

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

two more weeks for a huge spike.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

first post

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Im stoked for the 2nd wave!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Im stoked for the 2nd wave!

Still the first wave in the USA though. We haven't even hit the first wave yet in Australia so things will get interesting when it comes.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

thank u, can't wait to die

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Tokyo's numbers have ticked slightly up again, but other places in Japan seem okay so far. After seeing full restaurants etc the weekend before last, I thought we'd have a few more cases here.

Japan's so weird. They seem to be doing so much wrong, but the results seem okay by any measure I see.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I, for one, am glad that our long national nightmare is over and I can finally enjoy half off appeteasers with the boys again.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Getting in on the first page of the final covid thread. :angel:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
working hard, thank you

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
thanx op

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Coronavirus? More like boringavirus

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
second wave here we come

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So does tear gas cure COVID or what?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

wtf is this i thought we won, that's why the party

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

all cops have covid now, lmao

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
trump

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

MrYenko posted:

So does tear gas cure COVID or what?

It just enrages it

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

What disaster or major event will occur in the US before the end of the month that bumps covid to to 3rd or 4th on the list?

I was thinking something natural like a hurricane or earthquake but in keeping with the theme of the US falling apart I'm going with a nuclear meltdown.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

What disaster or major event will occur in the US before the end of the month that bumps covid to to 3rd or 4th on the list?

I was thinking something natural like a hurricane or earthquake but in keeping with the theme of the US falling apart I'm going with a nuclear meltdown.

the usa is going to blame any forthcoming covid death spikes on civil unrest and/or undetermined flu-like symptoms

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

glad we're all dead now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

saving for guessing game if we have one

I do not have the energy to do this again as I am now entering the cool zone. Thank u to everyone that participated in the last round

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I do not have the energy to do this again as I am now entering the cool zone. Thank u to everyone that participated in the last round

100% understand! I don't know if anyone really has the appetite right now. Will leave there another day or two, otherwise OH NO we have two posts worth of space for good rear end posts from this thread (or information of actual use)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
data visualization of my passion

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

we're going straight out of the Hot Zone into the Cool Zone

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Man, I am looking forward to things getting better again in a decade or so

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

v-shaped recovery wooo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

do the guessing game i want to participate

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

coronavirus is mega doo-doo

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Are they still doing corona virus? This is so loving cheap. It should be against the rules for two things to happen at the same time.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Inceltown posted:

Still the first wave in the USA though. We haven't even hit the first wave yet in Australia so things will get interesting when it comes.

This poo poo is incredible

Back in March we got a bump in cases from Aussies rushing back home from overseas, who then gave it to their immediate family + friends.
But even after nearly 2 months of lockdowns, there's still a dozen new cases every day popping up out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

This poo poo is incredible

Back in March we got a bump in cases from Aussies rushing back home from overseas, who then gave it to their immediate family + friends.
But even after nearly 2 months of lockdowns, there's still a dozen new cases every day popping up out of nowhere.

wow that looks awful