Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm honestly banking on it getting so bad in the next month that I won't have to actually quit my job and my employer will understand but I fuckin doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1417895308919459844
cool

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

smoobles posted:

heard covid was over?

stan kelly onion face: Heard immunity.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've been fully vaccinated since mid-March but almost none of my behavior has changed. I still wear KN95s in any indoor public setting. The only things that have actually changed for me are

1) I don't wear a mask in the hallways of my small condo, where everyone is vaccinated
2) I visit my neighbors in their homes, and vice versa, without a mask (again they are all vaccinated). Same with my parents who are in a senior condo, but I wear a mask in the common areas of that building.
3) I've had patio beers with goons a few times, but even then when I go inside to order I wear my mask.

no gatherings of more than a few people, no travel, no "events," nothing.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm honestly banking on it getting so bad in the next month that I won't have to actually quit my job and my employer will understand but I fuckin doubt it.
yeah of a similar vein, banking on it getting so bad that either the kids vaxx gets pushed out early or schools actually see how bad it is and go virtual only again come fall
lmao none of this will happen

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

this gap is only going to widen as more of the old white folks are vaccinated vs. none of the others and people of color continue to die in coming surges. there really is no way to close the gap without just euthanizing the white folks. it's just going to become an internalized part of america's horrible culture, that yeah of course white people live 10 more years than anyone else--always been that way, always will be that way

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

actionjackson posted:

I've been fully vaccinated since mid-March but almost none of my behavior has changed. I still wear KN95s in any indoor public setting. The only things that have actually changed for me are

1) I don't wear a mask in the hallways of my small condo, where everyone is vaccinated
2) I visit my neighbors in their homes, and vice versa, without a mask (again they are all vaccinated). Same with my parents who are in a senior condo, but I wear a mask in the common areas of that building.
3) I've had patio beers with goons a few times, but even then when I go inside to order I wear my mask.

how would you know if everyone in the condo hall is vaccinated (including guests and service/maintenance workers)?

hint: you can't

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1417858151483904000

quote:

A growing number of Republicans are encouraging Americans to get vaccinated, despite misinformation spread by right-wing commentators.

Louisiana Congressman Steve Scalise, the number two House Republican, announced yesterday that he has received his first Pfizer shot -- telling Nola.com the vaccines are "safe and effective."

Louisiana's largest private hospital, Our Lady of the Lake Medical Center in Baton Rouge, has more COVID patients right now than any other hospital in the state. They admitted 23 patients in 24 hours over the weekend and filled up an entire floor of the hospital with just those patients.

CBS News' lead national correspondent David Begnaud was given access to one of the COVID units.

"I honest to God thought I walked my last day on this earth. I could not breathe. I just-- all of a sudden, my lungs just didn't work," Paula Johnson told Begnaud. She was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. "I have no comorbidities, nothing, never had a lung problem. Don't smoke, nothing. And it took my lungs and just... I don't even know how to explain it. It's like trying to breathe in and hitting a wall in like a second."

Johnson is a pharmaceutical researcher who put off getting the vaccine. Now she wants it.

"I'd say get the vaccine, take the chance, it can't hurt, all it can do is alleviate some of the symptoms, even if it doesn't keep you from getting it - it will at least help you get through it," Johnson said.

Roughly one in three Louisianans are fully vaccinated. This week, the state's health department reported the highest number of COVID-19 hospitalizations since late February. Scott Roe is one of them.  

"Here I am recovering, getting out of here finally tomorrow. Am I going to get a vaccine? No," Roe said. "Because there's too many issues with these vaccines."

This father, former baseball coach, small business owner and hunter caught COVID and then developed pneumonia.

"Before you got sick," Begnaud asked Roe, "if you would have had a chance to get the vaccine and prevent this, would you have taken the vaccine?"

"No," Roe said. "I would have gone through this, yes sir… Don't shove it down my throat. That's what local, state, federal administration is trying to do - shove it down your throat."

"What are they shoving," Begnaud asked, "the science?"

"No they're shoving the fact that that's their agenda," Roe said, "their agenda is to get you vaccinated."

"You know who Mr. Scalise is?" Begnaud asked Roe.

"I know who Steve Scalise is very well," Roe said.

Roe, who is a Republican, had not heard that Congressman Scalise had stepped into the forefront Tuesday as a vaccine proponent. Begnaud asked him to read the congressman's statement.

"He thinks it's safe and effective," Roe said.

"And what's your reaction?" Begnaud asked.

"Not proven," Roe said.

"But does his opinion change yours?" Begnaud asked.

"No, it does not," Roe said.

Dr. Catherine O'Neal, chief medical officer at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, did not mince words.

"We are either going to get vaccinated and end the pandemic. Or we are going to accept death," O'Neal said.

"We're a proud state. We are a state of people full of grit," she continued. "So if you're pro-vax, you're going to tell everybody. If you're not, you're going to do the same thing. So how do we help find something that helps them come to the understanding that your community's going to die?"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

My wife and I are expecting and we've managed to coordinate her FMLA leave and our PTO plus some help from grandparents such that we won't have the kid in daycare until January and since it doesn't look like there is any chance of a vaccine being available for infants before then I just kinda gotta hope that COVID either goes away or that the fall surge is enough that by winter there are protections in place again because what we are about to do to kids in a couple weeks where we march them back to school en masse without vaccines is terrifying.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how would you know if everyone in the condo hall is vaccinated (including guests and service/maintenance workers)?

hint: you can't

I mean you could say this about literally everyone, but this is an incredibly small building (15 units on three floors), so it's quite rare to even see another person on the way out.

Given how transmissible delta is, I'm not sure how you would completely avoid it, even with a mask on.

Can you get delta through surface transmission, like a door handle?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol maybe not being "prevented" in the sense that there may well be a needle waiting for them at a site in somewhat close proximity

how do they find that site
how do they schedule the appt
How do they get there
how do they pay for it (you and I may know it’s free but nothing in America is free what do you mean I don’t have to pay for healthcare)
how do they get time off
how do they deal with side effects that they’ve heard are debilitating from every corner of the media
who cares for their children

There seems to be a lot of poor/minority/poor minority people who do manage to get vaccinated so it doesn't seem to be the sole reason.

Is there a study how long it takes to get a vaccination? It can't be as time intensive as you're making it out to be. I heard they're being offered in grocery stores.

Maybe there are vaccination deserts, I am not an American. But at first glance, if you can type in your zip code or just call a phone number it doesn't seem insurmountable for anyone who is literate, not disabled or mentally ill and has access to internet of some sort.

And just for fun I checked vaccine locations for the top ten poorest zip codes in U.S. and the longest distance in them was 4 miles which you know, sucks for Bon Secour, Alabama and it's thousand people I guess but the next longest was 430 meters which you can just walk in a pretty short time.

I just feel like someone would have made an article about people wanting vaccinations not getting one who don't live in a developing countries. I get that America is a shithole in many ways but it seems to be easier to get this vaccine there then it is here. I'm honestly sort of impressed at being able to pick any random rural zip code and finding multiple locations within a five mile radius. I live in the largest city in this country and we have like five spots in all.

mod sassinator posted:

hahahaha please source your quote

or maybe you really are that naive. read and internalize this: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...misses-the-mark

the answer is, as it always is:

racism

minority communities are forced to work multiple minimum wage jobs. they cannot take time off to get a vaccine and they fear having to be laid out for 1 or 2 days from the bad effects that all the white folks are crowing about on social media. the government has done NOTHING to help these people get time and money to get a shot

and where do they get a shot? all of the mass vaccine sites are gone and were conveniently in the richest and whitest parts of town. over where I live the biggest vaccine site was on freaking Microsoft's main campus. sure, yeah... all the poor folks are going to go up to literally bill gate's back door and get their shots

so where are they going to go? walmart? walgreens? ok sure, but first before we give you this shot WHERE IS YOUR INSURANCE CARD? MA'AM... MA'AM... YOUR INSURANCE CARD!!? WHERE IS IT? SORRY WE CANNOT GIVE YOU THIS WITHOUT INSURACE NOW GO AWAY.. NEXT CUSTOMER!!

and this is before we even get to the loooooooong history of people of color being used as literal lab rats for scientific experiments. we've sterilized them with radiation, viruses, etc. in the name of science and barely even apologized or recognized that it happened. to question why they would be hesitant to vaccines today is ludicrous--they're hesitant of _everything_ the white man says is only going to help them. the gently caress have we done to help them at all over the last 200 years

The mass vaccine sites don't seem to be gone (read above) and nothing in your article suggests that?

Being worried that you can't take time off work if you get side effects is understandable but uh, that is way less likely then getting covid and ah, you probably need to take time off work if that goes bad too so :confused:

Especially when due to all that racism, communities of color have much higher chance of getting worse covid outcomes or worse treatment of covid.

The "vaccine indifferent" or the "vaccine ambivalent" examples in there are just dumbasses of a different vein.

If at this point you still believe the vaccine is an insidious government plot against minorities (which your article did not show either, anecdotally or statistically, I feel like it is way less of a reason then people make it out to be) when white rich people are like the most vaccinated group, you're just a moron, sorry.

They ask for insurance cards? Even undocumented people are getting vaccines in the U.S. I find that pretty unlikely too. Not raised in your article either.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

this gap is only going to widen as more of the old white folks are vaccinated vs. none of the others and people of color continue to die in coming surges. there really is no way to close the gap without just euthanizing the white folks. it's just going to become an internalized part of america's horrible culture, that yeah of course white people live 10 more years than anyone else--always been that way, always will be that way

I mean, you could also vaccinate the non-white folks you don't have to go straight to Logan's Run.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/fox32news/status/1417827971910574081?s=20

NICE
they are switching to a hyper-local strategy

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

why in the gently caress does the media even publish this garbage

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DarkCrawler posted:

There seems to be a lot of poor/minority/poor minority people who do manage to get vaccinated so it doesn't seem to be the sole reason.

Is there a study how long it takes to get a vaccination? It can't be as time intensive as you're making it out to be. I heard they're being offered in grocery stores,

Maybe there are vaccination deserts, I am not an American. But at first glance, I'd you can type in your zip code or just call a phone number it doesn't seem insurmountable for anyone who is literate, not disabled or mentally ill and has access to internet of some sort.

And just for fun I checked vaccine locations for the top ten poorest zip codes in U.S. and the longest distance in them was 4 miles which you know, sucks for Bon Secour, Alabama I guess but the next longest was 430 meters which you can just walk in a pretty short time.

I just feel like someone would have made an article about people wanting vaccinations not getting one who don't live in a developing countries. I get that America is a shithole in many ways but it seems to be easier to get this vaccine there then it is here. I'm honestly sort of impressed at being able to pick any random rural zip code and finding multiple locations within a five mile radius. I live in the largest city in this country and we have like five spots in all.

The mass vaccine sites don't seem to be gone (read above) and nothing in your article suggests that?

Being worried that you can't take time off work if you get side effects is understandable but uh, that is way less likely then getting covid and ah, you probably need to take time off work if that goes bad too so :confused:

Especially when due to all that racism, communities of color have much higher chance of getting worse covid outcomes or worse treatment of covid.

The "vaccine indifferent" or the "vaccine ambivalent" examples in there are just dumbasses of a different vein.

If at this point you still believe the vaccine is an insidious government plot against minorities (which your article did not show either, anecdotally or statistically, I feel like it is way less of a reason then people make it out to be) when white rich people are like the most vaccinated group, you're just a moron, sorry.

They ask for insurance cards? Even undocumented people are getting vaccines in the U.S. I find that pretty unlikely too. Not raised in your article either.

Pretend you just made this entire post as a defense of Voter ID laws because it's the exact same argument republicans make for voter ID laws.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

A M E R I C A

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

They think they can scare anti-vaxxers in to getting jabs if they give enough coverage to people who regret not getting vaccinated.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

They do ask for insurance cards, but they'll bill the government if you don't have one.

I'm recalling a tweet a few months ago where a journalist was like "Duh people. It's free how much easier could we make it you stupid proles?" and her replies being filled with people with receipts after being charged for the vaccine.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

do we think Joe got a 3rd shot?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

synapse posted:

do we think Joe got a 3rd shot?

he gets one weekly

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there a study how long it takes to get a vaccination? It can't be as time intensive as you're making it out to be. I heard they're being offered in grocery stores.

Maybe there are vaccination deserts, I am not an American. But at first glance, if you can type in your zip code or just call a phone number it doesn't seem insurmountable for anyone who is literate, not disabled or mentally ill and has access to internet of some sort.

And just for fun I checked vaccine locations for the top ten poorest zip codes in U.S. and the longest distance in them was 4 miles which you know, sucks for Bon Secour, Alabama and it's thousand people I guess but the next longest was 430 meters which you can just walk in a pretty short time.

are you loving high?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...at-lumen-field/

seattle shut down _every single_ mass vaccine site except one... and that was a month ago!

your arguments are garbage and if you genuinely believe that because you are so privileged and able to "beep, boop type in zipcode number come back! it's all good!" wave away the genuine concerns of getting time off, getting transportation, getting past paperwork and barriers and historical issues then you are a garbage human being.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

mod sassinator posted:

Engagement

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
deny care to the unvaccinated (except children under 12)

shove them out the door at gunpoint into the parking lot, then we’ll see a nice thicc IFR

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
personally I'm in a sunk cost situation where I've forgone my salary and benefits for 16 months so that I can watch my kids at home and feed them without sending them to a daycare or school so it feels like to just give up in September when poo poo is as bad or worse than it's ever been... it just feels like giving up.

gently caress.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

Pretend you just made this entire post as a defense of Voter ID laws because it's the exact same argument republicans make for voter ID laws.

No, it is not. Literally anyone can just walk in. Can't do that when you vote in America to my knowledge.

PostNouveau posted:

They do ask for insurance cards, but they'll bill the government if you don't have one.

I'm recalling a tweet a few months ago where a journalist was like "Duh people. It's free how much easier could we make it you stupid proles?" and her replies being filled with people with receipts after being charged for the vaccine.

I googled this and it took me literally a minute to discover that if this happens the federal government wants you to report it because it is literally illegal

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://ccdphcd.shinyapps.io/covid19/

lol failed state

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

aaaaaaand there it is, my employer just announced I will WFH 95% each month

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
THE REASON PEOPLE OF COLOR AREN'T GETTING THE SHOT IS BECAUSE PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE JUST TOO LAZY TO SEEK IT OUT!! THOSE LAZY loving BUMS, JUST DO THE WORK AND YOU'LL STOP DYING YOU LAZY SHITS!!! GOSH!!!!

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was curious about how masks with mouth slits cut into them could possibly fly in schools so I googled it

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/third-round-of-performing-arts-aerosol-study-produces-more-scientific-data-for-return-to-activities/

:doh:

There are, of course, a whole range of these masks and premade bell covers currently available on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Double-Layer-Magnetized-Performance-GBOM-SMALLBK/dp/B08H5X73DK

lmao

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

lmao i am really curious who exactly is that 5% of time in the office helping

like is 2 days a month REALLY going to drastically improve some metric... other than "boss man feel good seeing bodies serve him... mmmmmm"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

I googled this and it took me literally a minute to discover that if this happens the federal government wants you to report it because it is literally illegal

Buddy, I got a bridge to sell you if you think something being literally illegal stops businesses from doing it.

Wage theft? Safety violations? But the law says .....

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

THE REASON PEOPLE OF COLOR AREN'T GETTING THE SHOT IS BECAUSE PEOPLE OF COLOR ARE JUST TOO LAZY TO SEEK IT OUT!! THOSE LAZY loving BUMS, JUST DO THE WORK AND YOU'LL STOP DYING YOU LAZY SHITS!!! GOSH!!!!

I'm assuming the #1 actual reason is many of them do not have sick time and are concerned that if they do have a reaction to the shot, that they will lose their jobs

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

congrats, I've been WFH since July '19 and in my current job I'm 100% remote and it owns.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nocturtle posted:

Weird, wonder why Americans are skeptical or hesitant about anything healthcare related.

As mentioned previously UHC is the only possible reason Canadians are getting vaccinated at higher rates than Americans. It's certainly not due to any kind of cultural superiority.

I'm real curious how high the Australian vaxx rate will go when we fix the supply issues and everyone finally has access. There's a lot of complacency here :shrug: :shrug:

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Buddy, I got a bridge to sell you if you think something being literally illegal stops businesses from doing it.

Wage theft? Safety violations? But the law says .....

The federal government is also well known for responding to crimes effecting working class people of color quickly and efficiently.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

personally I'm in a sunk cost situation where I've forgone my salary and benefits for 16 months so that I can watch my kids at home and feed them without sending them to a daycare or school so it feels like to just give up in September when poo poo is as bad or worse than it's ever been... it just feels like giving up.

gently caress.

i feel the same way, this country's plan for school is just to collectively give up on trying to protect kids. it's maddening. i'm currently trying to figure out how to rearrange my work schedule so that i can attempt homeschooling for the coming year, at least until they can all get vaccinated

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Remember when banks stole houses from people in 2008 and the government swooped in like lightning to help the actual home owners?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DarkCrawler posted:

lol.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

lol since getting vaxxed in March I've only become more vigilant in protecting myself / family from exposure
haha I remember sometime in April/May taking my oldest grocery shopping and feeling relatively safe in our kf94s since everyone else was also masked up properly
since the masks got burned my kids haven't been to an indoor pubic space period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mod sassinator posted:

are you loving high?

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...at-lumen-field/

seattle shut down _every single_ mass vaccine site except one... and that was a month ago!

your arguments are garbage and if you genuinely believe that because you are so privileged and able to "beep, boop type in zipcode number come back! it's all good!" wave away the genuine concerns of getting time off, getting transportation, getting past paperwork and barriers and historical issues then you are a garbage human being.

Mass vaccination site is not the same thing as a vaccination site, which there seems to be an incredible amount no matter which zip code you put in. Why do people specifically need to be vaccinated in "mass vaccination sites", especially if they have issues getting there? I'd personally go for the convience of a walking distance.

What paperwork, what barriers, what historical issues? Is the government site lying to me and none of the places actually offer any vaccines, they all ask money, or ID, don't exist, or are part of an insidious plot to experiment on minority populations?

If I would somehow be teleported into a random location within U.S. with zero dollars in my pocket and access to no other knowledge then the zip code of where I am at the moment and no other website besides vaccines.gov, it would seem to me that I could get a vaccine pretty easily. To all information available to me. You have posted nothing else then people making either dumb risk calculations or just dumb points in general.

(And no, I am not white before you go there)