Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

I feel like this is a bigger deal than people have been recognizing. The University of Hawaii is weighing having a "hybrid" schedule next semester; with large lectures being online and smaller labs and discussion sections being in person; but it doesn't address the issue that you're having thousands of students from all over the world descend on the island and they are very unlikely to come back two weeks early and sit in isolation in their dorms the whole time.

I hope someone somewhere is talking about these challenges and how to address them but honestly I've met the leaders in the university administration and they are incurious morons who have absolutely deluded themselves into thinking things will just be fine.

I think that the mainland is going to explode again and they'll just stay online only for another semester at least. Studio arts are completely hosed.

All of the UH administration and leadership, all the way down to various department chairs and program directors, are living in a goddamned dreamworld. I don't want to give away too much, but my former boss was rather reckless in his planning back in early March as it became increasingly clear that we were gonna smacked by Covid and that UH wasn't coming back after spring break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Mourne posted:

my life means nothing, so maybe it’s time to go out with a bang.

Go BASE jumping without a parachute.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Lol if Tom Brady gets the roni.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Guys, I think my state has supremely hosed up what was previously the best covid response in the nation.

https://rt.live/?=hi

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/06/19/cluster-covid-cases-linked-large-faith-based-gathering-among-those-state-is-tracking/

quote:

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - The state health director said Friday that an increase of 27 new COVID-19 cases on Friday is worrisome, but are manageable and won’t slow reopening plans.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

fits my needs posted:

so you guys open er up for tourism again or what?

Nope! We're doing this entirely to ourselves.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

brugroffil posted:

Deaths will probably go up but the CFR is gonna be lower because treatment protocols are better than March/April and the average infected age is lower.

That will remain true right up to the point triaging starts.

Oh, and nevermind all those other non-covid deaths that would have been prevented otherwise.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping that ones fake since young deaths get news.

Uhh, Sandy Hook.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

A guy who was getting evicted in Honolulu stabbed his landlord to death and then shot and killed two of the responding cops and then burned down an entire neighborhood. That was only in January.

Holy gently caress that happened this year?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
My mother has recently "recovered" from a "mild" case of corona a couple weeks ago (she still had to be admitted to a hospital for 2 days for monitoring). Her sister and niece (my aunt and cousin) are 100% mainlining Facebook and are utterly convinced that Covid is a hoax and that my mother just had a really bad flu.

My mother was thinking of defriending them both on Facebook, and I pushed her the rest of the way today. I dunno if she's gonna :sever: completely but you never know.

I also somehow convinced her that the American flag she is so proud of flying in front of her home is in fact a symbol of hate, and she agreed for now to at least along with it fly a pride flag and put up a BLM sign.

She is a 60 year old white succlib that is slowly but surely radicalizing.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Iakona posted:

a tiny 1,000 sq ft apartment

Lol that you think 1000 sq ft is tiny.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

only 23 new cases in Hawaii today :unsmith:

Lol that we're happy about this.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I hope we reach 69k new cases soon!

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
How the gently caress could anyone reasonably thought schools were safe. Children are the perfect super spreaders.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

HycoCam posted:

Continuation of school district facebook thread: The thread took a side trip in to liability, but before that I was asking was what happens when an asymptomatic person spreads the disease through a school. What happens to the school? The answer was along the lines of testing--those teachers that tested positive would move the teaching Virtual Acadamy.

Asked next: What are the teachers to do in the 10 to 14 days it takes to get test results--would those teachers remain in the classroom? No answer...

What was said was covid positive teachers would be moved to the Virtual Academy to teach remotely. Response: "So, the expectation is for teachers to continue teaching while infected with the covid?" Response: Those too sick to teach will use their sick leave.

Asked a bunch of follow up questions that were not answered: Who will teach the virtual acadamy if all the teachers are recovering from covid? Have the substitute teachers been taking the same remote learning workshops the teachers have been taking all summer? Or will you simply put the substitute teachers into the classroom until they too start showing symptoms?

Also pointed out the school district is expecting the teachers to provide their own PPE, yet it is impossible to buy an N95 mask. Will the school districts failure to provide effective PPE become a liability issue if any teachers or staff die from school districts lack of preparedness?

What a loving shitshow...

Having worked in education for the past 10 years, I for one am glad the administrators are going mask off (pun intended) with regard to faculty and student safety. They never truly gave a gently caress and this just loving exposes it bare.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I missed all the posts today. Did the death curve finally start shooting up again?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hawaii's governor just announce pushing back our "reopening" to tourism date by another month (now set for September 1).

Just kicking the can down the road by 31 days at this point. Nothing meaningful proposed for enforcing the quarantine we have in effect right now. Nothing about a statewide closure of restaurants, bars, etc.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Relentlessboredomm posted:

this is the lib proposal. they're pushing this poo poo in nyc too

When it comes to reopening schools and businesses the libs are just as trash as chuds.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

we're not even going to get a symbolic show trial against some of the ghouls that hosed up the pandemic response

You're right, we're going to lop off their heads instead.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

dragon_pamcake posted:

You know, the U.S. is a lot like the Donner party. The Donner party shot at the natives in the area who tried to offer them food.

White people don't need your charity, they'll individually bootstrap themselves out of whatever situation they found themselves in as a result of their stupidity.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Let's be real, if any prominent GOP politician dies of Covid, their fascist media will claim it was instead some antifa conspiracy that every chud will then be repeating ad nauseam.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

It's funny you mention pink-eye because one of the first COVID-poz goons mentioned getting pink-eye with it. there's been a few reports of it as well. It seems COVID allows and enables some opportunistic infections like that

Oddly enough I contracted dry eyes last weekend, which also got me congested as all gently caress. I was prescribed a combination of antibiotic eyedrops, flonase, and an antihistamine and now all is fine. No fever, no lack of energy, no breathing difficulty, nor any other obvious symptoms.

Since I'm in Hawaii, the odds that I'm an asymptomatic host for Covid is probably extremely remote, so I'll just chalk it up to a random infection. All the other bacteria and viruses aren't exactly on holiday.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Google Butt posted:

if any of you stupid mother fuckers who can shelter in place leave the loving house for literally any reason im going to be pissed

What if I want to publicly tell Donald Trump to go gently caress himself.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Yeah >1000mb is not impressive. But we'll see!

Haven't we learned by now that even "weak" storms can landfall and then just decide to not go anywhere and dump 50+ inches of rain over hundreds of square miles?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...outbreak-began/

quote:

Hawaii Department of Health officials today announced a new coronavirus-related death along with the highest single-day count of new COVID-19 cases — 55 — since the beginning of the pandemic. The previous record was 42 new cases on July 11.

Officials today reported an elderly Oahu woman became the state’s 26th death today, according to the state Department of Health’s daily COVID-19 tally.

We were averaging about 20 cases per day for the past week, but lol. Our state DOE still wants to open up the schools on August 4. At least our state teacher and government employee unions are resisting.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

I loving hate poo poo like this. Plenty, if not most, of individuals are already doing these things. How about some motherfucking real public health measures (that would harm oh-so-precious number)?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Hanna hits Corpus Christi, a week later Gonzalo hits Houston. Double Covicane. The entire Texas Gulf Coast is a plague disaster zone

Feeling extremely forgotten here. :(

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

I thought Hawaii was doing good on keeping Covid under control?

Yesterday we broke our previous record of 42 cases with 55. Today we broke yesterday's record with 60.

Lol we hosed.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
America is loving doomed no matter who wins the election. The empire is so corrupt and rotten that if we are going to rely only on electoralism and our present constitution to save us, then we are merely choosing between a quick collapse or a slower collapse.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

hawaii is going to let in Japanese tourists before American tourists lol

Not at the rate we going brah!

Seriously though, with the reports of cases at Foodland, Costco, those 2 bars, the sudden increase in hospitalizations Green mentioned yesterday, the 8 Thai soldiers that got it here...we have massive unchecked community transmission going right now and we are a day or two away from smashing through 100 cases.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Lol if it actually was covid that infected my eyes a few weeks back.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

lol 109 new cases today! gently caress!!

Ahahaha I loving knew it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

LOOKING GOOD

Ho dis is fine brah.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Steve Yun posted:

Is there anyone here living in Hawaii or familiar with the situation who can explain why Hawaii fell off the road

Hawaii has always lagged behind the mainland in adopting the latest cultural trends.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii just reimposed the inter-island travel quarantine as well as closed all beaches and parks again.

Great, they're doing this completely backwards. Shopping malls, dine-in restaurants, gyms, churches, and other non-essential businesses etc (i.e. indoor spaces) are still allowed to remain open. Oh, and Hawaii DOE is still committed to reopening schools on August 17.

Neoliberal capitalism is a gently caress.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Hawaii DOE just announced that the island of Oahu (Honolulu) will be doing distance learning only when the school year begins on August 17. Maui, Kauai, and Big Island are all keeping their Covid under relative control and will apparently move forward with in-person instruction.

Oahu basically has lost control of Covid and our hospitals and ICUs here are rapidly approaching capacity. It's gonna get real, real bad here really soon.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Couldn't LAPD let them have a little bit of tear gas, as a treat?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/MilesKLassin/status/1292568974484529156?s=20

Beaches in Chicago are closed, but bars and restaurants are open

Ditto Honolulu, lol.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/MattHayesCFB/status/1292218346683998209?s=20

in the glorious future, every incoming freshman gets a two week intensive in marxist theory

Pretty good union-breaking tactic here (plausible deniability thanks to Covid), not gonna lie.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

gently caress this was a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Durf posted:

listening to this one now and its something else, the hysteria in some of the protester's voices.

In retrospect I could see the KONY 2012 stuff being a precursor to Qanon.

https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-103-attending-the-savethechildren-qanon-rally-in-la

Goddamn I clearly haven't had the energy to pay attention to everything. This poo poo with #savethechildren is disturbing, because it repackages the Q bullshit in to something that can really transcend and cross a lot of socioeconomic and political lines.

Covid is bad enough, but at least it can be eventually overcome with sound public health policy and eventual vaccination (in a sane society). The Q brainworms though? That's a whole other kettle of fish. loving hell. :(