Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol my dumb loving in laws are flying from WA state to AZ for vacation/to see relatives and then flying to FL right after that to visit other relatives there.

My husband and I have just made peace that they are suicidal and the fact that my MIL has multiple heart problems that could end her at any moment already means COVID is going to be an absolute death sentence.

They were literally bullying my husband and I for refusing to come to a birthday party 2 weeks ago. Said "oh only 2 people have died in our county, it isn't a big deal!" when both my husband and I work at companies that have had deaths from COVID on site really early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yall ever just like... think about the fever dream that was January and February? I looked at my online order history and verify that I did in fact order a whole poo poo ton of beans the day the guy with covid showed up in a seattle hospital.

And then I remember that no one did jack loving poo poo about anything in this country until like march 20th?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh ew. gently caress. dont post that poo poo here. I thought this was a safe place.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hillary would 100% be continuing feed bodies to the stock market blood vat right now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Someone on twitter made sure to tell me that even tho they were sure hillary and trump would basically be doing the same poo poo and biden is also lovely - DECORUM is the most important thing and they thought it should be brought back.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Look, Herman Cains 9-9-9 plan was really the ticket.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wasn't it Jim Webb who talked about not regretting killing people in 'nam on the debate stage? What a fascinating year that was.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So I went hiking yesterday and afterwards I stopped at a couple of camp grounds I had been thinking about camping at in the future and wanted to get an idea of the layouts. I had a weird loving experience at one of them.

One of them we pulled into had like a massive group of like 6 RVs made into like a corral. Like 40+ people, no one wearing masks and seriously a sign that said "free haircuts" and they like all creepily waved at us as we drove by. Saw nothing like it at any of the other spots we stopped at and never seen anything like it before in the 10+ years i've been camping and doing outdoors stuff around this area.

This was at Ranger Creek camp ground and airstrip off 410 near mt rainier in WA.

I think all those people wanna get the 'roni and give it to any random person who takes them up on that free haircuts sign. Also the campground was absolutely full and every single other campground we saw. Even though all the bathroom facilites are closed by the state due to being unable to keep them safe/clean. All those people are probably making GBS threads with out digging holes or carrying it out. (most campers we saw were tent camping)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
VEE SHAPED RECOVERY BABY

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone else have their heart rates randomly jumping up to 120s while sitting around doing absolutely nothing and wondering. Is it anxiety? All i'm doing is playing a game that normally relaxes me. Or is it covid.

What a fun fuckin game we all get to live through.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I used to have panic attacks when I was in college and mostly that would be gasping for breath and trying to stop feeling like I was dying. Havent had one for like 10 years now but uh yeah seems like it would make sense for them to come back.

My coworker got direct exposed last week and so now I have to pick up the slack at work while he quarantined and not allowed to step foot on work property.

My in laws are in AZ trying to get covid.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jul 12, 2020

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cowpocalypse posted:

I'd say it gets better but ngl if left untreated panic disorder gets worse and worse until you feel like you're being tortured all the time

lol yeah i thought I had uh beaten? this loving poo poo years ago. How loving annoying.

I've been mostly keeping my brain under control through this poo poo but I guess this week finally did me in. I hadn't even looked at this thread and the news today and my body is like "lol gently caress you" WELL MAY AS WELL EXPOSE MYSELF TO THE HORRORS ANYWAY

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Remember like 3 months ago when the gov did a bunch of dumbass plane flyovers to thank the Healthcare workers? Feels like a century ago.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CODChimera posted:

and a hatch(or something) fell off one of the planes

I think one even crashed in Canada.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wait what. Worldometers currently isnt showing any new cases and the bing covid tracker shows +132k new cases in 24hrs. Did someone just feed in a ton of new data and break everything?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah im dumb. That makes sense. It's been a long rear end day.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I keep rubbing it in peoples faces that I was right and that im not a lunatic for buying a bunch of food and saying this was gonna go on for 2 years.

Also lol Like 150 University of Washington frat folks are already infected in Seattle and that's just with a few of the bros in their houses hanging around for the summer. All schools are hosed.

On the aneurysm thing: I worked with a guy who had one in his mid 30s. He was off for like 6 months and he came back too soon. He didn't remember anyone and yelled at me when I went into his office. It was pretty shocking. A few years later he apologized to me and said he just came back too soon but he also couldn't stand being at home for so long and he was just going insane.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Pyrus Malus posted:

I am real interested at hearing everyone's takes on the psychological impact of this whole thing - not really the long term impact, but how everyone around you is immediately coping with this. reason I'm interested is I seem to be the only person taking this seriously out of my dispersed group of long-term friends, who I at least have always assumed aren't idiots, and it's starting to make me feel crazy

do people just not have the mental stamina to withstand quarantine? is the whole thing really so bleak that even people who know it's not a hoax have to try to carry on as usual as some kinda ego defense or is it more akin to caving to social pressures? I know in reality answers will vary, but goddamn you'd think only the people who think the virus is some kinda democratic hoax or whatever would be the ones to eschew quarantining and mask wearing, but it seems to be way more widespread

I've also heard a theory that maybe people with a history of depression and anxiety have an easier time parsing the state of things due to understanding on a more personal level that life is suffering and not always fair, and that the best thing we can do is carry on, which I guess is sensical? drat tho y'all I'll take any explanation I can get to make sense of all this

I've had severe depression with suicidal ideations since I was like 12 years old. Anxiety and pretty bad PTSD due to growing up with some serious violence.

This has overall been nothing for me. It's just nice to actually have people understand when I said "yeah im really overwhelmed right now and need a minute" because now they loving get it?

The only thing i've been stressed about and have had panic attacks over or anything is the fact that my dipshit in laws went to AZ and they're gonna loving catch it and die and im sure we're gonna get a ton of social pressure to attend their funerals.(this is really how my brain processes this) Also my coworker is on quarantine and our team is only 3 people and i'm picking up his slack by having to go on site more often to a location where people have caught covid and died. I've had a convergence of a ton of poo poo in the last week. But overall im fine. This is just life. I've always worked through it.

Also its really nice to not have to "Dress up" every day for work and pretend that I care what I wear. I was just letting the girls hang free at work today because no one was there and who the gently caress cares. ITS GREAT.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Kreeblah posted:

If anything, I've been pretty surprised at how much this has been impacting people. It really loving sucks, sure, and I very much want to go be social with people, but I've gone through way worse for most of my life (including fighting for years to keep a lifelong, degenerative, eventually-terminal illness from killing me for as long as I can), so I think I tend to lose sight of how much of a difference this can make in people's lives.

At this point, it feels like it's just one more thing for the pile of poo poo, but a lot of other folks I know are getting super depressed over the whole thing. They're doing all the things they should be doing (I live near Seattle, so folks here are extra twitchy about COVID), but it's causing real anguish to keep it up indefinitely.

I have a pretty strong suspicion that if there were an actual knowable end date, it would be a lot easier for people to go through. It's the lack of knowing what things are going to look like that seems to be taking the biggest psychological toll on folks I know.

Goon friend. I live in Seattle and holy poo poo half my coworkers refuse to wear their masks at work. Like they seem to think they are immune when they are inside our building or something. It's wild poo poo.

We were moving offices and everyone in my IT group was careful AF about keeping our masks on while moving stuff from one floor to another and like the facilities dumbasses kept dropping their masks below their nose and poo poo too. Then when food came around they all ate together around one table while us IT folks just kept looking at them like they were lepers.

And im just like. lol. Slowly going mad. They look at me when i'm insane a lot when i'm like "yeah I literally only leave my house now if I absolutely have to and will lose my job if I dont"

ALSO just to add to this: We contract for a company that has had deaths on site and we go on site to that location constantly so its not like the threat of death isnt real here.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

empty whippet box posted:

would you get in trouble for wearing one of these? https://thehotbuttonissue.com/product/wear-a-loving-mask/

I'm going around spamming the poo poo out of this on twitter to rustle up sales right now so it's on da brain

Honestly imma totally buy some and wear one and leave some around.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sonatinas posted:

I think there was this quack earthquake scare in the early 90s in Memphis. I am remembering some kids were not in class one day because somebody claimed an earthquake was going to happen.

lol I grew up in Memphis and my parents totally didnt send my brother and sister to school that day.

My grandparents used to tell us about the big one that reshaped the region. And its like everyone forgot about it until the late 80s and then suddenly everyone was like "oh poo poo we should probably like earthquake strap houses and poo poo" I used to think about it all the time any time I passed by triple decker freeway exchanges - how nothing was built to survive.

Accounts of the quake literally say the MS river ran backwards. Also there's tons of cool rear end swamps with ghost trees and poo poo from it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
They ain't playing for a long rear end time. Either we all dead by then. America is gone. Or we're all suiciding because everything is still hosed.

I'm completely crack pinged where I put down for tickets like 2 years ago and now I'm just like... I know it's never gonna happen but my lizard brain has to imagine something mildly positive in the next few years.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Jul 23, 2020

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I played softball as a youngun and I would definitely practice a bunch before I went out on a field since that was like 20 years ago now. I think alot of people do poo poo when they young and think its gonna be the same even tho their joints and bones have disintegrated.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im getting forced time off work due to a week long furlough again in august/september sometime. Prolly gonna say gently caress it and hopefully go off grid.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I was born in 1987 and a complete latchkey kid. Both my parents worked and weren't in jobs where they could like... get home when I got home from school so I had a key to my house at age 6 and the rule was I had to stay around our yard until a parent got home then I pretty much ran out and ran around till dark. In Memphis *chuckles* In Binghamton neighborhood.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Tryin real hard to be nice to people who want to go out at a restaurant but holy loving poo poo why do people think that if they use a 6ft ruler they safe to hang around a bunch of other chompin maws spittling covid everywhere into the wind?

poo poo POST MALONE coined a new term in another thread "plague pavillion" and I love it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/260-campers-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-4-days-at-a-georgia-ymca-camp

LOL people keep trying to send their kids to camp and kids come back as plague spreaders.

260/600 infected.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Wait so when did actually camping in the woods become a rich people thing? I grew up really not well off (houses in the neighborhood I'm from still go for 30,000) but camping was universally like super cheap fun. Don't even need a tent if the weather is good. Tarps are a good plan tho.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schmeichy posted:

Some children grow up in cities and never see animals but pigeons

Definitely but for anyone who grew up in a city that doesn't have mass transportation and having a car is a necessity, camping tends to be common. I grew up in Memphis in the inner city there and that's like the only time we ever did anything outside the norm was camping.
I'm just weirded out by folks who seem to think it's like some fancy poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schmeichy posted:

Having the time off to plan and go is a luxury now. Plus the required knowledge and skills means it's not really safe for anyone to just do on a whim

Can definitely agree that the planning is a luxury and time intensive task. Outside of covid times, I really encourage it. It's really low stakes and low cost and staring up at the sky with no light pollution and being able to see all the stars is amazing.

During covid times do not. I drove by some common camping areas after a hike and holy poo poo people are packing into all the camp spots.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MizPiz posted:

Is there anything in particular I should eat to see if my sense of taste still works normally? I'm trying to figure out if I have covid or sever depression.

A goon nurse mentioned drinking a flavored seltzer to verify she could still taste

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lacrosse posted:

For anyone trying to go camping in the Pacific Northwest you're going to have to go very far afield to find a place far enough away from other people. I'm in a camping chat where I asked for some trip reports and the consensus was that anything within 4 hours of Seattle is overrun:

- Frenchman's Coulee has so many people a group pulled up within one car length from OP
- There's giant illicit raves happening in the Cabin Creek area
- Greenwater is full up unless you have a 4x4 with high clearance to get past where the RVs can go

Also know there's like 4x as many people out there making GBS threads in the woods this season. Any dispersed camp site in these areas is likely to become a cesspit before the end of the summer.

Yep! Holy poo poo I drove by ranger creek and it was like a loving party zone. Same with The Dallas. Thought about doing distributed camping off a forest road but realized it just isn't worth it and I'll stay home and keep doing short walks into the bigger park near where I live and be thankful for that. (mask on the entire time)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Schmeichy posted:

Anywhere that has facilities or marked parking spots is probably a no go for sure.

I just assume all the trails are packed. I don't go out much but the trailheads were all overflowing in Issaquah when we drove past the other day

Depends. Find a trail with no cool waterfalls and no features and it's fine. If you just wanna walk in the woods for a few miles it's fine. Plenty of empty trailheads out there on the "boring" trails. Mostly folks going mushroom hunting.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Someone on my street is loudly playing a live cover from their front yard or something of "ill stop the world and melt with you"

what the gently caress is going on

People are getting a little crazy. I started working on a large mural outdoors during my first furlough and I'm about to be furloughed again so that's what I'm doing again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Elderbean posted:

A close friend suddenly decided to move across the country to be closer to family, took an Amtrack there, and then immediately visited his family without any quarantine to show them his baby. This seems insanely dumb to me, especially from someone who is normally pretty smart.

Got an uncle in law who is literally a loving rocket scientist in Florida and he's an anti masker.

Side note: lol what the gently caress is this

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Aug 1, 2020

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I totally would have pinned Adam Sessler as being an anti masker chud.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Murder hornets were confirmed in WA state so gently caress ever going camping again near mt baker even if we escape 'roni hell.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/31/us/murder-hornet-trapped-washington-state-trnd/index.html

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I assume they still havent made remote voting a thing either which is insane. It would be easy as gently caress for them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

fosborb posted:

genuinely shocked the company that charges like $10/minutes for FaceTime in prison hasn't partnered with hospitals to provide streaming of vented patients

I dont even like talking about poo poo like this because I feel like its speaking evil into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol i'm loving screaming right now because Inslee said that people can go to bars as long as the bars have food and WERE NEVER GOING TO ESCAPE THIS HELL. gently caress this stupid loving country