Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Were there ever updates on cats and covid? I remember they said they proved cats can pass it to each other, but hadn't really seen many symptoms like a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is this what messing with the numbers looks like? I have an uncle who is retired in Oklahoma and drives other old people from his church to a hospital in a neighboring city in a big church van a few times a week (he's been doing this for years). Of course since its Oklahoma this continued without many changes and about a month ago he went into the hospital with coughing and difficulty breathing. Sometime later (not sure how long I live thankfully very very far away) they sent him home with supplemental oxygen and he's lying around half dead but the important thing is: he doesn't have covid! I forgot what they said he had but it wasn't contagious so the rest of the family are taking no precautions since he doesn't have the 'China Flu that's probably fake anyway'. Pretty coincidental that he got a lung killing condition during a lung killing pandemic. He was always a nice enough guy so I hope he pulls through despite the best efforts of his government to kill him.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have a link to a decent reusable cloth mask that's in stock? We made ours but I got people who can't sew looking for suggestions and googling around I'm finding lovely grifter looking stuff or way backordered still.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I feel office casual bane masks are a great way to communicate "why the gently caress aren't we working at home"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Could I take a vacation to a car dealership fifty miles away and buy a car? Would that count as vacation expenses?

There's going to be so much creative fraud

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Woke Pob posted:

I got to go into our office today for the first time since March. Turns out the deep clean people just swiped desks clean of everything into transparent bin bags left at every desk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay_oua1ndQ0

So many abandoned deliveries. MGS man who made that postal game people hate was on the money.

That's so loving crowded. Is that like a call center or are offices that dire now? I haven't worked in an office in years but that would drive me crazy.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

People from Virginia love to talk about "Cornhole" as if it's some beloved national pasttime. Nobody in the rest of the country knows what it is and the game also loving sucks (literally just taking turns tossing a beanbag into a hole in a piece of wood)

Ohio is crazy for cornhole too.

It's alright for standing around drinking and chatting.

Its better than another mid-west thing: euchre. There are way better card games.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah for party drinking games beer pong is way more fiddle and flip cup is just proceed directly to shitfaced without any screwing around.

My poor barely-drank-before-she-met-me Californian wife tried to play flip cup with some of my old Ohioan friends and I had to carry her home from the party stopping only to let her throw up occasionally.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Sturgis was the most confusing thing to stumble into on a road trip. We were on a long road trip out west and tripped in the Badlands and when we came down and had a sober driver we wanted to move a bit down the highway and find some place to camp that wasn't so desolate. On the road we were suddenly surrounded by motorcycles. Just motorcycles as far as the eye could see. The highway was a huge traffic jam. It started to wig us out a little since this was pre-smart phones so we couldn't just look up wtf was going on. Every exit ramp was crammed full of motorcycles so it felt like we couldn't even exit. Eventually we left the highway and asked a gas station clerk wtf and he acted like we were the biggest idiots for stumbling into Sturgis without knowing what it was. We just wanted to visit the Badlands!

Putting up with that as a local seems annoying enough, but it'd feel like a true zombie apocalypse during covid. I'd definitely barricade myself in a house. Your tiny town getting overrun by like half a million plague vectors is just hellish.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Xaris posted:

did you get to go the Badlands? they're pretty cool althugh you can get a lot of tha texperience in eastern/south utah side. A northern AZ/NM/UT/CO up to Tetons is a quintessential road trip experience, there's really so much majestic beautiful land and poo poo to see and nice to get away from civilization for the most part. i haven't done that in almost 15 years but now i kidna want to plan another one .

i've accidentally been caught in Ironman Competitons (which they love doing here) and that sucked.

Yeah the Badlands were amazing. Beautiful but also in an otherworldly way. We were on a month long drug addled journey of 4 dudes crammed into a car visiting parks and camping/sleeping in our car. We started in Ohio and drove to Seattle/BC and down the coast to LA and then back through the Southwest to Ohio. So much incredible scenery and one of the best months of my life.

As much as I hate America as a lovely country institutionally the actual land itself is amazing. Hopefully the crumbling of the American empire leaves most of the land okay.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Piece of poo poo Thug (D-NY)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Are you saying Seattle has nice weather outside of June-August?

Seattle has the best weather all year. Just enough winter to feel like winter properly but not like the onslaught back east. Really all the seasons are pretty mild but you still feel them change. I lived in Southern California for a while and the lack of seasons (beyond more or less fog) felt weird.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Being reluctant to take a vaccine this year seems pretty sensible from listening to TWiV. They seem to have made it clear that any vaccine released this year will not have passed the necessary safety testing. It's not a question of being clever enough or sciencing around the problems. You have to spend more time doing more testing and that can't be completed this year.

Even next year the vaccines won't have completed all their testing so taking the vaccine is not whether you trust Trump, the media, "science", etc but weighing the unknown dangers of the vaccine vs your own risk of covid infection. If I was forced to work in a restaurant, retail, or was a teacher forced into in person teaching I would be jumping at the first vaccine. If I was a single WFH computer toucher I'd probably wait until a vaccine had passed every test and was available without an emergency use authorization.

I think the most likely danger from a vaccine is not that its secret poison for poor people, but that whenever we have a dodgy half tested thing available Americans will be trying very hard to remove all the restrictions, repeal any mask policies, get everyone back into offices/schools/campuses/theaters/etc. If there's a vaccine everyone is supposed to stop their bitching and go full consumer normalcy immediately.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

galenanorth posted:

I'm very eager to get a syringe full of nether pumped into my veins so that the HHS Secretary can be rewarded by the Bringers of the Void with mastery over undead minions on the throne of the Infernal Plane

This is what it means to live in a land ruled by he who makes numbers most high, while returning other numbers such as our population to nothing

I really wish our lovely overlords were trying to resurrect a dead god or something interesting. Even just epic corruption stealing 100+ billion dollars would make more sense. Instead they want to kill millions and defraud the country on an insanely huge scale so they can get a cushy job on the board of some think tank or defense contractor after they leave the government. That 6 figure easy salary will be worth all the mayhem! Think of the stock options too!!

Basically America is Gene Hackman in Superman trying to break the world for a lovely real estate scam.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure my father-in-law already proved that surface transmission isn't significant. He gets every meal delivered (he doesn't even make coffee, it gets delivered), he's in his 70s, and I can't imagine he was doing absolutely any precautions.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Listening to TWiV on the difficulty of testing treatments broadly enough I bet that experimental poo poo he got in the morning hasn't ever been tested on an orca fat extremely moist old man. He's gonna wriggle through the disease and its the dodgy tech drug that gets him

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That seems obviously like a wonky cut. Makes sense if he's ill, even if not literally dying, that he might not go that long without a cough or two.

I think its funnier than Trump's people continue to be awkward amateurs so they probably have some intern following a tutorial. Like the last video where he wasn't mic'd and the audio was all echoes.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If it was in the WH why pick a lovely room? For that matter if at that Walter Reed palatial suite why pick a lovely angle?

Rather than conspiracy I think these people are just that dumb.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is Pence in favor within the party? I remember early on there being stories of the GOP expecting him to wrangle Trump but that clearly didn't happen at all and he has always seemed pretty absent. I wouldn't expect him to have a faction to "fight for control" vs Trump's people.

I've always imagined him as the Donny of the WH "shut the gently caress up Pence!"

That's why if Trump dies there's no reason Pence has to advance to top spot or even stay on the ticket. The rules are the party can stick whomever there AFAIK and Pence is all downsides. No Trump manic energy, but still has the stink of a Trump presidency on him. I'd think the party would prefer either a Trump true believer to continue the Trump train or a sober Kasich type to calm the suburbanites.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Der Meister posted:

we inherited the weird system from great Britain where the monarch can do no wrong but the British stopped really having the monarch do anything three hundred years ago lol

Reform will be impossible without getting rid of our fake king position and our fake house of lords.

It was one of my conciliation prizes for a bernie presidency that the political spectrum would unite in their terror of bernie and permanently reduce the power of the presidency to mostly formal.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Hard agree with this post, I seriously doubt we'll ever know the full details

I disagree. Everything leaks with Trump. Even if someone near him doesn't leak it (which is unlikely since they leak the "don't leak things" memo within minutes of it going out) then Trump will just call up a reporter and tell them. Even if he's dying he'll probably call Maggie Haberman on his death bed and whine about how his brilliant covid PR strategy would've worked if the media wasn't so mean to him.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

well i'm panicking

we have to move out of our house in 28 days and we are supposed to move to utah but 1) our savings have dwindled because I have failed make many button sales lately since the whole election is utterly uninspiring and I guess people don't have much money anymore and 2) the places I want to apply to want 3 months of recent bank statements, which wouldn't show much because we use paypal and I rarely move money over since we've been using savings from either the stimulus or unemployment card and 3) they want 6 months of employment at the same place otherwise and my wife just started a new WFH job this week.

So I guess we will get stuck in mississippi for at least another 6 months at the worst possible time and I will probably never escape this god awful place, in part because I have failed to generate sales or be useful for like 2 months I guess. I didn't think this would be so hard, I thought "we have money and are both employed, in fact I own a business" would be a good pitch but you have to submit like a $50 application fee and we don't appear to fit their criteria even though we absolutely can afford their properties

god this is going to be an awful horrible few months, time to get stuck in the plaguelands forever. I don't want to be in loving mississippi during the plague anymore. gently caress

From my experience almost none of the places you can try to rent over the phone/online far away are going to take broke people. Your best bet is drive out ahead of time and look for either a landlord who'll chat with you that you can bullshit with or someone lazier who just wants to get it rented and didn't want to put even the minimal effort to advertise (so a sign in the window/yard). If you can look plausibly conservative I'd recommend it since the landlords you can bullshit will probably be old people who are desperate for conversation and will be conservative (e.g. I had cut my hair and shaved my beard before traveling, wore my thrifted business casual, and let the Southern into my voice as much as possible to play up being a poor Southern boy trying to deal with life in a godless big city).

Driving cross country and sleeping in your car can suck, but it'll make a world of difference. I'm assuming you have too much poo poo to just drive there and live in your car while you look, but obviously that's easier. Living in your car can sound scary but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever done. Especially since you earn so much less money in a lovely state so I'm not sure I could've ever saved up to do it proper.

Trying to do this during a pandemic is going to be so much worse than anything I did. All the bullshit was worth it to me to escape Oklahoma years ago, but I'm not sure I would've tried in this. The way I mitigated living in my car was a lot of time in coffee shops and libraries but plague puts a damper on that.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

well we aren't broke or unemployed and we have good references so it feels like on paper we should get accepted. It just sucks to throw $70 into an application fee, especially more than once, right now

and yea I'm definitely not driving to utah to suck it up. we're gonna drive to move there of course. moving truck will be like another $700 too but that's actually a pretty good deal to be honest.

Living in mississippi suckssssssssss and everyone here wants to spread the plague as much and as far as possible

No clue how it is in Utah, but on the West Coast the threshold for broke is higher than you'd think. Even after I was making > $50k it was still not easy to get a proper apartment. Many many years after my chaos moves when I was married and very well employed we moved to Seattle. One of us had a good job and the other was still looking for work but we had > $20k in the bank and proper corporate apartments were still reluctant to rent to us because our references were out of state and we only barely cleared their requirements. Those said that you had to be making > 3x the rent with guaranteed employment or have 1 year of rent + x% in the bank, but they preferred clearing the income requirement easily. Seattle in infamous but I didn't find other big coastal cities that different. I have no clue how it is in less lovely but still not coastal states.

None of it works like this for smaller rental complexes/small landlords/etc but they have their own pluses and minuses (when your landlord sucks they *really* suck if its some old crank compared to the often indifference of corporate). Generally they are much cheaper and have more ambiguous requirements, but they are hard to do remote.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A sleep doctor once told me was they thought one of the reasons I'm a lifelong insomniac is I naturally have a > 24 hour sleep cycle so it's always bobbling around stupidly. Trying to shift it intentionally seems like a bad idea and being able to hit cleanly a two day cycle doesn't sound easy.

Though I'm just envious of people who can sleep normally so can't imagine loving around with it for a life hack or whatever.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, I had that problem for quite a while.

At least for me the trick was to stop sleeping in on the weekends etc. If you have the same wakeup time every day, your internal clock will eventually adjust to a normal cycle.

You are totally right (drugs help too). Unfortunately my sleep is still so fragile that a small fuckup can take me weeks/months to correct. Still better than it was.

Also I love kitty pictures here is my favorite picture of my cats ever (I have it on a coffee mug) even though they are much bigger now:

What a cute grumpy face. Boo here is like 1/2 the size of his brother but he was always the one grooming. That was from when they were first adopted and we were confining them to a bathroom so our old lady cat didn't get shelter sick.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

facetoucher cat posted:

Kitty kisses

I have issues sleeping that have only gotten increasingly worse due to the constant nightmares waking me up every few hours. I can't take prescription sleep aids due to addiction tendencies and melatonin/diphenhydramine/etc gives me worse nightmares and restless leg syndrome

I wish I could afford a big ol' bag of weed right now but that's not in the cards. It helped immensely

Weed seems to work for most people but I just get high and still can't sleep. When I was a heavier smoker I still smoked before bed just for the relaxation ritual of it though.

Ever tried Trazodone? At low doses it can zonk well enough to help sleep and I think its not addictive like a lot of the proper sleep aids. Its in my current drug cocktail to balance out the only depression drug that particularly works for me (Bupropion) that also fucks with sleep.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

facetoucher cat posted:

Trazodone gives me the same restless leg syndrome as some others. I just started a blood pressure medication for anxiety today that of course I can't remember the name of and am too lazy to go get the bottle that's supposed to help. So far I flux between super tired and full of energy. The last BP medication I was on, clonidine, stopped working. If I exercise myself into exhaustion I'm good but once again, lazy

lmao I was today years old when I found out I have RLS. I was curious about it so I read the descriptions and it described something I have exactly. I thought maybe it was old hiking injuries flaring up now and again when I'd wake up with aching legs and need to move them around to go back to sleep. My wife also complains about how I have to twitch occasionally because my muscles ache and just kinda flexing them and twisting muscles in place relieves the feeling. When it was legs/feet I thought hiking and when it's arms/hands it was computer poo poo. Its vaguely there all the time but it flares up more significantly at times and it was probably meds stuff.

Still, I'll take it over not being able to sleep for now. Might be a reason to taper off the trazodone eventually.

durrneez posted:

i’ve had a few over the years and the best i’ve had is the acrylic kind that i got from my dentist, top jaw only so my bottom teeth can slide across the mouth guard when i GRIIIIIIIND

i think it was like $200-ish with insurance, tho :(

I have the insanely expensive kind you get from the dentist and also the cheaper acrylic knock offs on amazon and they are about the same. Rather than the boil and press you get it to self cast your teeth and send it to some address. A few weeks/month later you get your custom acrylic mouth guard. There may be a slight difference but definitely not $75 vs hundreds of dollars difference.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

durrneez posted:

oh neat! thanks! i’ll look into this when my current mouth guard is on its last legs.

was it hard to do the mold yourself? my upper jaw is large in relation to my overall mouth size so my dentist usually has to make a custom tray for that bubble gum plaster stuff.

I don't recall it being difficult. I have an upper over bight with prominent canines but I dunno the relative size (I do have a big newscaster head).

As I recall the negative reviews were people claiming it was leaking Chinese chemicals into their brain or something. It was a huge improvement over the boil type.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I figured most programmers would be loving WFH if they didn't have kids. Seems like most programmers are like me and can't really click on/off programming very well and kinda have to ease into a focused state. Every time you get bugged by coworkers asking poo poo they could just email, bosses "just checking in" for nonsense, etc bounces you out and you have to start over. Its a lot easier to blow off people on zoom/teams/etc until you are ready.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Vermain posted:

probably the fact that winter's just around the corner + the growing realization that this thing ain't over and probably won't be until late 2021 at best

I remember a very long time ago, back in the first or second covid age, someone had a good post about managing your covid outlook based on their experience spending time in the arctic. Constantly moving the end date and getting really bound up in it are very mentally draining. Its why I've gently discouraged people around me from getting really into talking about what they are gonna do when covid is over. It's different from making fun Friday night plans to get through your work week: this poo poo has no firm end date.

So I think there are going to be periodic slumps when people had it in their head it would be over by X and X rolls around. I also think there's going to be a national lengthy hangover when vaccines are definitely done and ready to go and they realize it's going to take a long time to actually get all the people vaccinated who want to be vaccinated. There's not going to be a single moment that starts the victory montage.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

listen man I love milkshakes too but I don't spend 24 hours a day drinking them

sounds like someone isn't living their best life

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pingui posted:

I don't understand how anyone could have watched Cuomo's live arts and craft exhibitions and still think "these people would have avoided the pandemic".

Didn't nyc even do worse than other giant metros? Oh man if only we'd had a blue governor and a blue mayor and a dem controlled state house.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Trump is probably the biggest gently caress up in the history of world leaders and makes everything worse but we wouldn't have Trump without a broken country. Even with a decent Dem in there you still have a country that cannot respond to actual threats. Experts have been predicting that a big pandemic was inevitable because even if we do everything right we can still be hosed by bad luck. Even with great zero hour response it seems like covid was the luck running out with how early it seemed to spread quickly and its own quirks. Once it was a big threat we were hosed. American has spent so long responding only to fake poo poo we hype for political reasons that we've completely forgotten you can't just declare victory on anything and it'll go away eventually.

A better president would staunch the bleeding better but we'd still bleed.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If Larry Summers was part of an administration he would set himself on fire outside the white house before he let a single dollar go directly to a poor person

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

When they are having breakdowns in this thread constantly I think regardless of any capitalist hellscape they need some mental health help. Therapy isn't about fixing but might help living in a miserable world a bit less miserable.

Also they'll send you to a psych to get drugs some of which are fun.

Or just go find some kinda drug (weed, booze, various uppers, etc) that gets you out of your own head sometimes. Self medicating works for some and is probably better than not medicating and spending your days just reading poo poo that makes you hate life.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

fauna posted:

i'm never going back. i belong to the forest now. i am a mushroom

gently caress yeah more covid druids

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I’m glad I don’t live in Oklahoma anymore

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

All the theology students/phds I met taking classes in a religious studies department were pretty cool. They were all heavy into historical biblical stuff and not like shrieking at gay people. Its very different than a person who paid for a bullshit super fundie degree.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think if the Great Old Ones rose up from the depths of the oceans and started eating people by the fistfuls we’d figure out a way to normalize it enough to keep the stock market going.

I have a dream of doing an America remake of Shin Godzilla in nyc where instead of a complicated furtive government response its just media spin and declaring victory whenever Godzilla stops. Lots of arguing about how we can't let this giant lizard win by stopping our lives and that sometimes getting crushed is just a normal part of life. This keeps happening over and over in waves until Godzilla finally just fucks off and America throws another victory celebration and the useless mayor of nyc who did nothing but speak platitudes is elected president.

I love watching Shin Godzilla during covid because it's supposed to be a criticism of the Japanese government lovely response to disasters and it just seems like an impossibly organized and slick idea of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dunno why people talk about vacations when this thread's only success story is becoming a druid.

You don't need any of those crowded popular trails. Just wander the woods trying to commune with the oversoul.