Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tinstaach posted:

Absolutely unreal that there are still so many people who think they can intimidate a virus

this is the first thing in living memory that scythes straight through every institution developed over the past century to keep suburban whites completely insulated from any consequences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Lmao if you have sex

Volcel crew stands strong once again :radcat:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Thoguh posted:

"Parents were told the school would be disinfected"

That'll fix it.

i recently jumped from the public sector to the private sector because we were OPENING ER UP and i had zero confidence that things were going to be better

it's been a month. i'm working from home until 12/31 at the earliest and 1/5 of the people i worked with either have covid or are in quarantine due to contact tracing :lol:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

a.lo posted:

they’re just spraying febreeze in the classrooms

for us they told about all these fancy misters they got but the first day we opened, we had anti-mask people try and break into our offices

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

fits my needs posted:

i liked how in :ca: uc berkeley was like oh yeah we're totally gonna do hybrid and then went full online after you couldn't get a refund, but the tuition is the same! lmao

Ohio State is currently getting sued by their students because they're still charging full tuition for online courses. Apparently their response to the lawsuit is they're gonna open up the school and force everyone back.

My brother is a law student there and apparently all the colleges are fighting over who gets the 3-5 rooms on campus you can actually do social distance learning in

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

fits my needs posted:

so glad i forced myself to get my degree in the pre-covid times even tho it sucked rear end, cuz now its gotta suck even more rear end. drat lol

Yeah, my new job does tuition reimbursement and I was thinking about going back for my postgrad but :yikes:'d right out of that

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1287788920739180544?s=19

Having parties during pandemic == bad.

Having parties during Pandemic in the Hamptoms where the only attendees are rich people, the chainsmokers and the CEO of Goldman sachs as DJ == ??

Lmao I just read about the Florence Black Death yesterday thanks to this thread and now this

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

fosborb posted:

call center work.

locally, you can apply for wfh contact tracer positions, but the financial services places are always hiring for their call centers and for the big companies that's still entirely wfh

Yeah I went from doing state politics in a red state to doing call center stuff for a big financial institution

I took a small pay cut but I'm work from home for the forseeable future, they're paying for me to go back for my grad degree, and a chunk of my former co-workers have covid since the chud legislature OPENED ER UP

Edit: I also don't have do deal with the constant barrage of human misery and get to grill pill my way through the eviction crisis. Knowing what's coming and dealing with folks who I know won't be getting any relief was absolutely crushing my mental health

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ohio goon here

Went to a diner for breakfast with my partner that used to be good about precautions. We went back and nobody was doing social distancing and all the common use items (salt shakers, menus, etc) were back on the table

We decided that was the last restaurant were going to for the forseeable future lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

I mean, you still stayed for a non-socially distanced indoors breakfast though. Seems problematic.

we specifically asked for a table in the corner and nobody was near us. it wasn't like we were sitting at the counter or anything. we figured we woulda breathed something in just by being inside at that point so if we were gonna get covid, at least we'd get some drat breakfast out of it :shrug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i'll take my goon lashings but i suppose after 4 months of complete doom and isolation with no sign of it stopping, we wanted to get a hour of normalcy before our state got turbofucked by covid

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

pancake rabbit posted:

*hears the word euchre riding on the breeze, sprints into thread*

hell yeah i'm from ohio and knew how to play euchre by the time i was like 7 lol

IRON CROWNED AND BUSINESS GORILLAS GET IN HERE, SPADES ARE TRUMTP

sorry i played rook growing up

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Just thought I’d swing by cornhole chat to mention that in the South drunk people play horseshoes and have sturdier shins as a result of all the horseshoes that get chucked into them.

having canvassed for bernie in south carolina, i also assume their shins are sturdier because 60% of their diet is fried foods, 30% of their diet is pork, and 10% is sweet tea

(the joke is everyone in the south is fat as gently caress unless they do manual labor, op)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shageletic posted:

this thread is full of weirdos jesus christ

Yeah I've spent a couple days realizing how much I hosed up by getting eggs but then I saw some goon unable to watch movies because they got mad that people weren't wearing masks and lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Sad Billionaire posted:

Much like how the great depression led to the government paying farmers not to plant on part of their land, this crisis will lead to landlords getting paid not to rent all of their properties

This already happens. Lots of new buildings are built and rented out at a point where they can be profitable at like 30% occupancy

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

What's this???

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i thought this happened like a month ago?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I find most recipies too overwhelming because it's like 15-20 ingredients for one loving meal, I'm not going to do all the poo poo

I have made the lentil chili many times though because it lasts multiple meals

check this out:

SPICES
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp harissa (if you like it spicy)
- salt
- pepper

VEGGIES
- garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 28oz canned whole tomatoes (i use san marzanos since they're like a dollar more and once you get the spices, it raises the cost of 4 meals to $10 instead of $8.50)
- parsley
- cilantro

EGGS
- 6 eggs

OIL
- olive

BREAD
- i prefer crusty bread like ciabatta or a good baguette but whatever you do, just make sure it's hearty (pita would also work)

OPTIONAL
- feta
- kalamata olives

1) dice the pepper & onion. cook in a large skillet with 1 tbsp olive oil until the onions are golden brown
2) mix the spices (sans salt + pepper) into the pan. toss to coat the veggies. slice the garlic while it becomes fragrant and add that to the pan too. cook until the garlic is fragrant
3) dump the can of tomatoes into the skillet & crush the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. give it a good stir, making sure you scrape the bottom of the skillet. wait for it to boil
3a.) i prefer to turn the heat low and let it sit for 20-30 minutes so everything can marry, but this isn't necessary.
3b.) if you got some good bread, i'd recommend using this time to toast your bread. 5 minutes at 400 will make a limp baguette a good one
4) turn the heat back up (or down) to medium so your goop is simmering. take that spoon and make a small divet on the edge of the pan. crack an egg into it
5) repeat step 4 five more times. be sure to evenly space the eggs (i just imagine i'm making a pentagram and put one egg in the middle)
6) cover & cook for 1-5 minutes depending on how runny you like your eggs. 7 will get you eggs over hard, so 2-3 will get you a nice over easy.
7) take your pan off the heat. season to taste. add your cold garnish (feta, kalamata, cilanto, & parsley) before serving
8) since covid is fake, eat it right out of the pan with all of your maskless friends and family. tear hunks of bread and smash it right into the shakshuka

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Aug 5, 2020

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

ty friend

I definitely need to get some harissa

btw the anagram of harissa is sharias

here's some other cool tricks:

1) get a can of everything bagel seeds and some frozen salmon fillets. defrost, cover top layer with seeds (don't use salt, if you got the right bagel mix it should have salt in it), bake for ~15 mins at 350. serve

2) dice up a bunch of veggies into uniform bite-size chunks (i do portabella mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, red onion, and asparagus if it's on sale). toss in olive oil, salt, and whatever seasonings you prefer (i do herb de provence, garlic powder, salt, & pepper). roast at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes. i start checking on them at 30 mins and do 5 min increments from there. i make 3 sheet trays work, stick it in the fridge, and can be nuked or eaten cold on, well, everything. i prefer eating them with tahini or putting them on a bed of greens and adding feta & balsamic vinaigrette

3) get some frozen tilapia fillets & some blackening seasoning mix (i prefer tony cachere's). thaw, season liberally with blackening mix, then sautee on high heat on one side until brown & crispy, then flip and cook for ~20 seconds to finish.

1 medium-size filet can make 2 flour tacos or 3 corn tacos. serve with whatever taco toppings you like (i usually do a half spoon of guac and a liberal amount of diced onions & cilantro)

cooking is cool as gently caress and once you get the fundamentals, it's all about experimenting with what you like. watch a solid fundamentals video like this, get your booze of choice, and enjoy yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshkecuFfMc

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i am harry posted:

If you replaced the eggs with rice you'd get something like a meatless jambalaya instead of tomato egg slop

i agree. you can definitely make a really lovely jambalaya if you make it without andoullie and one third of the holy trinity

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

loling at goons recoiling at the idea of eating a dish that's 80% tomatoes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

i'm a vegetarian but i appreciate the thought :)

the initial buy-in can be steep for indian food but once you have the spices, curries are basically "throw everything into a pan and let it cook". if you've never had it before, chana masala is pretty easy to make and is just spicy chickpeas

consider looking for any indian or asian markets so you can get a pound of spice for the same price that you pay for a tiny vial in the white people stores

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Nothus posted:

And produce. And snacks. If you've got an Hmart, Hung Vuong, or 99 Ranch nearby, you are lucky indeed.

if you're smart you get the Halidram snacks like the smashed deep fried curried chickpeas :kiss:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Also, don't go insane on stocking up crazy amounts of curry spices and powders. There's a reason many indian families now have a separate "spice kitchen".

i've been on a pretty big middle eastern/north african kick lately and i currently have a pound bag of za'atar in my cabinet that i'm burning through at a rapid rate

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

mujadara is spiced rice & lentils topped with deep fried onions. you throw everything in a pot and let it cook

it's super healthy if you skip the onions and was part of my pre-covid weightlifting meals

this is a good recipe here:
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/brown-rice-mujadara/

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I learned a way to replicate a tagine in a regular oven about a year ago and it’s the best.

pm me

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

I’ve been essentially making the exact same egg sandwich every morning for breakfast because it’s so easy and so dang good. the kind where you scramble the eggs in a bowl, pour it over a pan, and put the bread on top while it’s still cooking. flip the whole dang thing over, toast the bread, put some cheese and kewpie mayo in it, tuck in the eggs and wham, perfect 3 minute egg sandwich. works with plain bread, tortillas (with salsa), or English muffins.

When I used to cook for a living my hangover sandwich I made at the beginning of my shift was toast, american cheese, fried eggs, mayo, and fried pepperoni

I'd consider the fried peppered oni if you're looking for a small change in an already great sandwich, friend

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

YOu know, I've eaten pepperoni right out of the bag like potato chips, and I've eaten it on pizza and sandwiches, but I've never considered frying it on it's own

they're fatty enough that you don't even need oil, just toss those little bastards in a hot pan for a special treat

(don't do this with turkey pepperoni, that's lean enough that you'll want to add a small amount of oil or something)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

I really don't see how such absurd waivers could possibly be enforceable and that it's entirely a bluff move to intimidate from suing for liabilty. But, doesn't it open you up to liability for class action lawsuits over mass roni death and illegal contracts?

At Ohio State, word on the street is they're forcing all the kids back because of the class action suit.

Can't have a class action suit about how you're charging full tuition for online courses if you open er up, op

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I don't get it?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

No, seriously. They don’t have to spend any money at all. Just tell people “wear a loving mask”. That’s all it takes. Why not even do that? Is the Netherlands as “MUH FREEDOMS” poisoned as the US?

Lots of people generally get the idea of "why is it okay for me to go to work but it's not safe for me to go to the bar??" and to solve the contradiction, capital is basically trying to gaslight everyone into thinking it's ok to consume.

Doing mandatory masks/shutting things down/etc are admissions things are hosed and will only heighten the contradiction.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

On the other hand it's $30, which is the stupidest loving price point ever for a movie that's going to be mediocre at best.

It's cheaper than taking kids to the movies and the whales will pay whatever they can for their next morsel of Disney content.

Disney has to be a trillion dollar company at this point. They know what they're doing lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

teaching children laws aren't moral to trigger the libs

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Harton posted:

I think she understands that they are toxic but she’s hung out with them since grade school and is kind of a drunken terrible person so it’s not easy for her to make new friends.

goon: my wife is a terrible drunk that hangs out with nazis and may understand its wrong to do so, but keeps doing it anyways. just gotta take your relationship day by day, ya know?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Harton posted:

It started as a group and now only 1 out of them will actually still hang out with her basically because she refused to divorce me after let the first trumper nurse friend have it. I definitely hosed up a bit there. Her husband called me a baby killing Democrat and I was like your wife had an abortion you loving idiot.

then the record skipped and everyone was like
“I CANT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT” apparently not a lot of people knew that and I just spilled the beans to a crowd of people.

ok i rescind my driveby hot take. goon REDEEMED

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

IAmOmega posted:

Sex should honestly be illegal it's so loving disgusting. There's literally no way to have sex in a way that is respectful towards another human beings body. It's the same way that there's no way to run a business without abusing other human beings. All business should be illegal.

IAmOmega posted:

Sex should honestly be illegal it's so loving disgusting. There's literally no way to have sex in a way that is respectful towards another human beings body. It's the same way that there's no way to run a business without abusing other human beings. All business should be illegal.

IAmOmega posted:

IAmOmega posted:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

You're a loving rube if you get a trump-rushed election day vaccine, op

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Politicians getting nervous they refuse to provide bread and circuses are getting cancelled :bernin:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I'm starting to get pissed at this because a large portion why people have to go out is a complete abdication of responsibility by leadership at every level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

twoday posted:

Movie spoiler:

Powerful way to start the Hitler page