Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Griefor posted:

Trump has been part of the "black people are guilty by default" voice since at least the Central Park Five in 1989 (In fact he said he still thinks they did it after DNA evidence exonerated them). He may not have created it by himself but he is and always was part of the problem, and I do not doubt the problem has grown under his presidency.

he has undone obama era federal oversight “consent decrees”, which were put in place to monitor and improve the worst offending police departments. this both reduces transparency and sends a clear “open season for racism” message to the departments that had consent decrees.

he has also re-started programs that obama had halted that give surplus military gear to police for free.

those are some of the most significant improvements that happened after ferguson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wonder how its going on the talk of the villages forum...

here are some choice posts from a “do you sanitize groceries and things you bring into your house” thread:

😎

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
survive long enough to get vaccinated, then you’ll be able to outrun the Crunchy-Lunged Wheezers after the economic crash and ensuing societal collapse.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah I can still use reusable at the Food Hole and they require masks for entry, I just cycle through them, letting them sit for 2-3 days and use different bags next time I go to the store.

the Traitor Joes near me makes you leave all your bags and stuff outside the store and only lets 25 people in at a time, with masks.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zyme posted:

I have one particularly nice memory of driving through Utah, I think it was around Provo, one morning and stopping to get gas at a gas station. The view from the gas station was really, really nice. That is my opinion of Provo and Utah in general.

if you fly into Vegas you can buy a big pack of edibles and drive 2 hrs up to zion national park and its like double rainbow levels of pretty

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what the “worst of both worlds half-assed lockdown causing multiple spikes in cases until unemployment runs out” strategy didn’t cure this already?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
nytimes is still pretty reliable:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

fixed url

EIDE Van Hagar has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Jun 13, 2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MorrisBae posted:

Can't all of those symptoms be explained with "your lungs are damaged no longer absorb enough oxygen"?

yeah but if it is scarring it doesn’t just go away.

it happens with normal pneumonia too, but this is severe. people who used to do distance running complaining they can’t get out of bed.

here’s an article from back in May:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/world/europe/coronavirus-italy-recovery.html?referringSource=articleShare

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

once again the bidet heavy portfolio pays off for the dumping investor

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
are we back at a 9/11 per day yet? from what I see it’s back around 1000-1500 per day now.

that’d be a good bet, pick the date where the US is back up to one 9/11 per day.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
T*xas is opening amusement parks today lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

RIP Donkey Dong Doug, died from COVID-19

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

lol we are so hosed it isn't funny.

ok I lied it is a little funny.

open it up! let’s all die as fast as we can!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Google Butt posted:

That's dope info tho

there is a guy in the austin subreddit that updates that infographic every day. he’s just a random guy who is collating public data and doing some good analysis and data visualization.

the city and county dashboards are ok, but not nearly as informative. that growth factor indicator he uses is pretty useful (its just the ratio of total new cases in the past week to the total new cases from the week before that, <1 is good, >1 is bad)

the austin subreddit is a hateful hateful place that shits on most everything, but there *are* a few cool civic-minded people that make me keep going back. they make it a good local news aggregator, at least.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in some actual good news my employer which is not going back to the office until at least january 2021 is paying the cleaning, cafeteria, and gym staff to stay home (not sure what their original plans were but they made an announcement after some of the engineering staff asked about them on the intranet message boards).

the cafeteria head chef is doing zoom cooking classes and the gym trainers are leading zoom bodyweight workout and yoga classes and it’s actually pretty :3

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Acelerion posted:

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the virus is a lot 'closer' now that it was when it was only a few coastal states getting brutalized.

Its hit the point in texas where almost everyone knows or has heard of somebody with it. Its shown up in the offices of basically everyone I know. People are starting to get freaked out for all the good that will do.

starting today you can’t go into the HEBs in Austin without a mask (again).

why they stopped requiring it is absolutely beyond me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jigsaw posted:

because abbott ret-conned what he meant by “you can’t fine people for not wearing masks”

it now means “you can fine businesses for serving people without a mask,” which is totally what it always meant you guys haha got you

yeah, I am still surprised and pretty disappointed that a grocery store wouldn’t just keep a “you must wear a mask” policy given the risk to their workers

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shear Modulus posted:

how do you find out if local bars and restaurants have covid

😂

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
T*xas had 6500 cases in one day holy lol can’t wait until tomorrow

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

brugroffil posted:

Honestly very surprised we're already seeing states putting restrictions back in place. I didn't think we'd see any states actually do that.
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1276515725159665664

T*xas is already at 6000+ cases per day. it’s going to keep rising for the next couple weeks, at least. closing bars is not going to be enough.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Paradoxish posted:

lmao

these stop-start lockdowns are so much loving worse for the economy than just staying shut down for long enough in the first place

gently caress we're dumb

yeah if you’re a bar/restaurant and you started buying food again, have fun when inventory goes bad because you’re closed your capacity gets cut.

they found out about this at the same time as everyone else.

and that’s just the easiest example I can come up with. business likes predictability and this reaction is impossible to plan for.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

triple sulk posted:

chuds would have absolutely flipped the gently caress out over obama telling them to stay home, way worse than anything you'd see with trump

yeah the fox news crowd would still be losing their minds.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

classic florida move

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
keeping the schools closed and just not educating children could really help state and local budgets next year!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mastershakeman posted:

Wait, that's an option? I assumed the forbearance just meant you had to pay a lump sum this fall and hope the servicers don't gently caress up the numbers , which they will

does this not hurt your credit?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

oxsnard posted:

nope. It's literally in the CARES act. You also don't have to prove need or have to have already lost income. It's amazing

that’s pretty cool but I honestly still don’t trust the bank to not gently caress it up or gently caress me over somehow.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SKULL.GIF posted:

The country is facing a potential Bigly Depression, who gives a poo poo about your credit. It's all fake anyway.

What were you going to do with it, get a house you can't afford anyway?

pffft already did that.

that and smugly putting it in your tinder profile are the two main things credit scores are good for.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
even if it can’t be used to calculate a credit score, if a bank that orders a report will see anything other than “paid as agreed” on a credit report, that would still raise some red flags. i have no idea if this is the case, but that’s one way something like this could still bite you in the rear end

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i had to explain to a parent that drinking water every 15 minutes to “wash the virus down into their stomach acid and kill it” was not actually a real thing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
speaking of how great testing is:

AUSTIN, Texas — Mayor Steve Adler said that Austin will no longer be testing those without COVID-19 symptoms because there are not currently enough tests for the number of people seeking them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
honestly a hotel where each room has its own air conditioning unit is probably pretty low risk.

just ask housekeeping to skip over the room for your whole stay, try to disinfect surfaces when you first go into the room.

the most dangerous part is probably checking in at the front desk, and you might be able to do most of that online as well.

most hotels have pretty low occupancy so you are likely to get a room that no one has even been into the last few days, you can specifically ask for that if you absolutely have to travel for some reason.

wash your hands a lot and wear a mask in common areas, etc

🤷🏼‍♂️

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lotta dudes wipe standing up.

the sure sign of an insane mind

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i say swears online posted:

hotel front desk here. do not come near me, i am a petri dish. we're averaging 80% occupancy since texas "opened up" and i've touched fifty people's credit cards today from probably a dozen states and countries

i saw hotels were at 50% occupancy per the statesman a while ago but 80% is like woah wowie wow we’re all doomed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
lmao arizona is doomed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Funion posted:

appreciate the congrats

i am in T*xas so it’s not like I have a lot to look forward to here in the next few months, but watching arizona implode has been pretty amusing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
someone post the crack ping cat

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sir Tonk posted:

wheres new york?

no longer on the nyt list of “places where cases are increasing”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the north will rise again

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

skewetoo posted:

My brain. My brain just can't take it. The absurdity of it all. Imagine going don't tread on me at a loving VIIRUS. This is a plague you dipshits!!! Let's play sports!!! What do you mean half of our athletes are infected. Howwwww could this have happened???? :iiam:

not understanding germ theory of disease to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m guessing they’re doing Italy style with people in chairs or on the floor instead of beds

privacy laws in healthcare are much stronger in the US so I doubt there’s gonna be video leaks or photos

Edit: oh unless they have the inflatable hospitals already?

austin is already prepping its convention center as an overflow hospital. seen below set up for sxsw and as a shooting location for “idiocracy”.

can you tell which is which?