Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facetoucher cat posted:

If you know mushrooms n the sort do you know what this is?

this is clearly a cinnamon bun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coatlicue posted:

With regards to DIY tasks, don't feel bad we all have to learn sometime. I am approaching mid thirties and there are huge gaps in my basic life knowledge that are becoming apparent now.

If you are making mistakes it means you are learning.

I've got some curtains hanging from a wire and 3M sticky hooks because that's all I had in my "tool" bin when the pandemic hit.

It don't look pretty but it gives me comfort when I see the wind blowing through the window.

I'm having to look up how long to boil a potato and how to make a compost pile.

Better to learn now than never!
going off time leads to inconsistency imo, just pierce it with a fork every so often after like 10ish minutes until its whatever doneness you want

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/abc3340/status/1273049537343565836

We're not even fully opened either, lmao

At least kids are not being murdered at school indiscriminately. Although from some tweets I've seen I'm sure their parents are about to give them the experience :(

no don't you see this is a sign that america is returning to its normal state

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radirot posted:

i had my first restaurant experience since march and it went pretty well. mask wearing was very good and the tables were decently spread out. each table also had hand sanitizer. as long as poo poo gets enforced then it might work out. :)
more like radidiot lmao gottem

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
flattening the curve just means racking up enough bodies to use to fill in the divots on both sides

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snoo posted:

I would like to live
lmao if you aren't spending at least an hour every day repeating "death is freedom" in a desperate attempt to believe it

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why the gently caress do i keep opening this loving thread

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
love 2 spend the first hour of my day injecting fear-inducing news straight into my veins

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elderbean posted:

So how is everyone coping with the anger and sadness? This is only going to get worse and the average American is genuinely stupid and selfish. Everyone in power is a monster and I'm seeing so many people near me swing facist or towards "well the government is clearly broken so let's let Jeff Bezos run everything"

There is no future, huh?
Just smoke weed and watch it all burn?
im not

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solarin posted:

JC Denton: Perhaps certain qualities are an inseparable part of human nature.
Isaac: The mark of the educated man is the suppression of these qualities in favor of better ones. The same is true of civilization.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death

Stunt_enby has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Jun 23, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_QerWy65Y

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Crack-Ping Heard Round The World

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kerning Chameleon posted:

real talk: if you decide you want to have kids just for the gently caress of it, gently caress you and your partner forever. individuals should straight up not be allowed to decide whether a human being is forced to exist and then suffer under their care for any number of years. especially with the current world prognosis.

child rearing is morally equivalent to slavery, full stop.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thump! posted:

I can’t stop loving laughing

OPEN R UP!
this is called Jokerfication. embrace it

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

HOW IS THIS REAL!?
ironically, the denial of reality by the ruling class/dumbfucks is what made this real

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this seems low (as in like lower than what it'll actually be) to me, am i right to think that or is my sense of time and reality just completely shattered?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ll take the place where you can buy 100 apples with intention to sell and not go to jail

Where is this “Cuba is great” brainwashing coming from, the place loving sucks and has sucked for half a century how do you not know this

anyway back to Covid death, and Americans talking about fleeing the US for Cuba in a raft because there’s no air travel
just play runescape if you wanna merchant like that my dude

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snoo posted:

I have to laugh otherwise I have panic attacks in the bathroom at 12:30am apparently
anyone else reflexively laugh at this post to keep the dread at bay

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oxsnard posted:

once your brain becomes entirely smooth what happens after when you get another incremental crack ping
it happens in ur balls instead

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if yr in california my therapist is... questionably professional but does down to $0 and is fairly class conscious left leaning etc just shoot me a PM or give me a throwaway email to send deets to

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CODChimera posted:

i've been trying really hard to not look at things so negatively
lol why

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no way this is an unedited biden quote lmao

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

He’s not wrong. Still succ though.
his handler isn't wrong*

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

galenanorth posted:

occasionally over the past few months, I've had some reason to cough loudly because something happened like popcorn went down the wrong way, and each time I hope I didn't accidentally worry anybody
my bong rips are so quiet now

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's it like to have hobbies and passions for things?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LETS loving GO LOVE DA METS!!!!!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how long until we start seeing actual die-ins

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Renaissance Spam posted:

I'm pretty certain this is the major reason why Star Citizen still gets so much support; I think there's a subconscious realization that we're never getting to space, we're never going to walk on new planets and we're never going to meet new species. So a hyper-fidelic universe that can at least give the IDEA of a space adventure is the only escape possible so yeah throw money and eventually it will be done and then escape from hellworld because it's the best you're gonna get.

So yeah, Debord was right.
this is the most somethingawful take ive read all day

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Les Os posted:

lmao at Hey Ya being that music charts happiest song
i still lol at one of that song's lines being "y'all don't wanna hear me, y'all just wanna dance"

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the filters i got for my respirator are box shaped, would it be assholish to put little covid particle stickers on them so anyone seeing me gets reminded we're still in a loving pandemic

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

Atrocious Joe posted:

bringing back the death cultist posting

https://twitter.com/boriquagato/status/1281660945949851648?s=20

Everything's fine, open her up!

So, America is completely inwardly focused right now, and not paying any attention at all to what’s happening in other countries (can you imagine?). But I’m wondering if anyone has any good explanations for what is happening in continental Europe right now.

Here is a website with r0 values for a bunch of European countries. Most of them have r values at or below 1, with Switzerland being the worst.

https://twitter.com/COVID19_bot/status/1281849486130778112?s=20

Most countries look like this graph of Belgium:

The graphs for the Netherlands and Germany and France and Denmark and Sweden look like this. In Spain the r value has plummeted to 0.4. Why are cases down?

Is it the heat? No, first of all look at what heart is doing for the American South and California. Second, it’s been an especially cool and cloudy summer so far compared to recent years, with much of the weather in Northern Europe being reminiscent of that of September or even October.

Is it that everyone is still locked down? No. Most of these countries began easing things a month and a half ago at the beginning of June, and now restaurants and bars are crowded, museums and hairdressers are open, concerts started again, people are back in offices (albeit at reduced numbers), even brothels are operating again.

Is it that everyone is wearing masks? No, the number of people wearing masks in Europe is a lot lower than the states. Belgium just started making masks in shops mandatory as of yesterday. Here in the Netherlands masks are mandatory only in public transport and people take them off immediately after getting off the tram or bus, and seeing them in shops or on the streets is incredibly rare, only 1 out of every several hundred people wears one. Also, the sidewalks and streets are incredibly narrow I n Europe here compared to America, and there are many more people on them because fewer people have cars.

Some street scenes from the past few days:

https://twitter.com/schlijper/status/1278960570088161285?s=20

https://twitter.com/colvilleandersn/status/1268892256590856193?s=20

Random recent Instagram photos:

Berlin:

Paris:

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/1280056690033987586?s=20

And the last one of the Louvre brings to mind another interesting point, that it’s the summer and tourism has started again. Although there are definitely fewer people in the touristy parts of town than usual, it’s not exactly a ghost town either, the borders are open, and it’s summer holidays now so lots of people are going on roadtrips, zipping around Europe, and I will repeat that things have been

And Covid is still out there, there are new cases, it’s just not spreading and causing a second wave. So why is that?

A few possibilities come to mind. One has to do with the fact that they tested old samples and found that there was COVID in Belgium, France, and Italy already in November and December. Perhaps there was a weak version of the virus that went around then and gave people immunity? There was an unusual spike in deaths in the first week of January in some places, which would match with a bunch of people getting sick around Christmas. But we missed the chance to gather data on this.

The second is that a lot of people had it, or have immunity to it. This could be some existing cross-immunity from other seasonal non-COVID colds in the past. Lots of people could have been asymptomatic. Testing wasn’t very good until May or June in many places, so if the real peak was between February and April, a lot of that data would be missing too.

But you might be thinking:

https://twitter.com/davidicke/status/1280517873455247362?s=20

Well, there is a problem with that, because people who had it but had few symptoms develop few antibodies that are visible on tests, and even people with high levels of antibodies have those numbers fade relatively quickly, to the point they can’t be tested within a matter of months. However, this does not mean that these people have no protection against COVID, because even if you have unmeasurable levels of antibodies, you can still have a tiny amount that can be ramped up upon re-infection, and it is being learned that much of the successful immune response against COVID comes from T cells.

This guy used to be head of a WHO program (of cancer, though he is trained in immunology):

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1281182481593573378?s=20

Even people who supposedly didn’t have it have notable T Cell responses:

https://twitter.com/nresearchnews/status/1281561318558961664?s=20

More T cell reading:

https://twitter.com/nj_hill/status/1281067343242723328?s=20

Anyway, I am not siding with the chuds who are saying “open er up” because it’s not at all clear wtf is happening. Western Europe has been open for a month and a half, and we still haven’t seen a second wave. I still think everyone should be very cautious, but I’m very puzzled by the fact that COVID cases are still being diagnosed in Europe, it’s still going around, crowds are big, people are traveling, few precautions are bing taken, but yet there are no large scale outbreaks, ICUs are emptying out, r0 values did not increase after reopening, and the second wave has yet to materialize. It is making me wonder why, and if more people have immunity than we realize, and there is not some sort of herd immunity effect in Western Europe already. I still don’t really believe this and I keep expecting numbers to start shooting up again, but after a month and half it still hasn’t happened and I’m starting to look for an in case the second wave doesn’t show up.

Or does someone else have a better explanation? Am I missing something? Does having a blasé attitude protect you? Is it all the second hand smoke? Lack of air conditioning? Why aren’t cases spiking again?

Note, this does not seem to be the case in the UK or Eastern Europe/Russia, I am not discussing that. Also note, that because I am discussing the situation in Europe, it does mean that I am saying anything about America. It is abundantly clear that the situation in America is, uh... lets’s call it “unique.” This effect is definitely not observable there, and it’s clear that many parts of America haven’t even had a first wave yet, and many deaths are still coming.caution should be exercised there and everywhere else until we figure out what the hell is happening.
quote for new page (yell at me if i should edit it out), thank you for making a post that is both Good and Positive, two things the corona thread lacks
gently caress YOUR MOD POWERS IM THE LAST ONE TO EDIT THIS POST

Stunt_enby has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Jul 11, 2020

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

That Esquire article was a pretty wild read. Interesting too because a couple of the ads they say were banned or controversial didn't seem that bad to me but a lot of the rest of them were pretty unsettling. Like I honestly liked the one where the model is flashing the camera and find it to be more playful and cute then titillating. Oddly enough, the next ad right after it didn't have any nudity but it managed to totally skeeved me out.
top tier av + post

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The CSPAM Brain

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gonna only burn copies of this for warmth post-collapse

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

remember when Cuomo made an art project out of donated PPE

CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRACK BUT I DONT THINK I CAN PING THIS WHAT THE gently caress

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like were the masks not up to standards usable for hospitals or something and even then YOU CAN loving GIVE THEM AWAY TO NON-DOCTORS

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Ray posted:

u gotta make sacrifices for art. like actual ones, with lives.
honestly that picture is a loving masterpiece of photojournalism so maybe it was worth it in the end

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

this is 100% my problem as well, i love reading but it is very firmly my transit time activity and my dumb brain can't wrap itself around the concept of opening book at home where i have Good Screen. it is easy to read when not at home (transit, travel, etc) because lovely non-portable Good Screen is replaced by the horrid Small Bad Screen in my pocket, and book is always preferable to Bad Screen

fuk u phone, computer 4ever
maybe if u read ebooks on your computer it'll trick yr brain???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i got this respirator and was gonna put cloth in front of the outflow valve but it has like a rubber diaphragm in the valve that seems like it would block aerosol particles??? i don't see any holes in it with the naked eye at least, can anygoon confirm?