Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Xaris posted:

code:
State (New-Cases/1M Pop)(% New Cases-Capita/New-Tests-Capita)  (% Change in Active Cases)  (%Change in New-Cases)
Alabama…	182	13%	8.6%	3%
South Caro	152	12%	9.1%	8%
Arizona…..	212	11%	4.7%	-7%
Utah……...	126	10%	7.1%	24%
North Caro	136	9%	7.9%	-23%
Arkansas…	182	8%	13.5%	-25%
Iowa……….	116	8%	4.2%	-1%
Florida….	122	8%	4.6%	38%
Indiana…..	59	7%	4.5%	0%
Nebraska..	62	7%	1.8%	-75%
Tennessee	61	7%	4.4%	-47%
Maryland…	114	7%	1.3%	66%
Georgia…..	96	6%	1.9%	26%
Virginia…..	77	6%	1.5%	17%
South Dakota	103	6%	9.8%	18%
Pennsylvania	32	6%	2.0%	-37%
Louisiana..	277	5%	13.7%	146%
District Of Col	78	5%	0.7%	-15%
USA Total	77	5%	2.2%	-7%
California	79	5%	3.0%	-14%
sorted by % of new cases over new tests per capita which also fairly closely follows new cases per capita

south still #1 in rates of new covid cases and dying

Where's this data from? My mom went to New Orleans saying it's "pretty safe" despite my best efforts to convince her otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Giga Gaia posted:

what if you need a haircut though? checkmate

My hair is an unbounded maze; one day my hairstyle will be placed above a nuclear waste disposal site, a warning that transcends time and language so that future generations will know to stay away.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My mental health's been so hosed from my province's latest reopening. Today I ate a bowl of beans, a vegetable stir-fry, then a family sized bag of cheezies, mars bar bites, and half a box of oreos.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stereotype posted:

Yeah, 2,000,000 dead Americans is what everyone here has been saying since March. That's just what a 1% death rate and 60% herd immunity will result in, it's super simple math. That is why "flattening the curve" was always stupid because we need to try really hard to make sure people do not get this virus, we need to stop it not just make it go slower.

At this point we aren't even making it go slower though lol that 1% death rate is gonna be like 5 or 6% because all the hospital beds will get filled simultaneously lol 12M dead lol forever

I was mainly reading the D&D COVID thread at that time, and anyone who did that math got called an alarmist idiot. That'll teach me to underestimate capitalism's disregard for life

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't find the post (was reading on phone after my shift) but that posted tweet about how the antibodies for the virus lasts only 2-3 months is horrifying in the implications for human society. what happens to society when you know that you'll repeatedly catch COVID-X 2-3 times a year until it finally kills you? it completely annihilates any idea of a social contract or a shared future

That's not the implication at all. Your body will still be immunized to the virus after 3 months, but there won't be a ton of active antibodies, just like any virus that you can be vaccinated for. If it weren't the case, we'd be seeing thousands of reinfections in Wuhan, and we're not.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fame Douglas posted:

From everything we know, people only getting a few months of immunity from the virus seems entirely likely, though?

Not at all. This concern has been repeatedly studied and debunked.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

blatman posted:

if you are planning to dine out, please follow these 3 tips to minimize spread:
1 - don't
2 -
3 -

I keep seeing "do not eat or drink in public" as a prevention tip, yet everyone wants to go do exactly that. gently caress, it would be safer to invite a friend to your house, order a pizza, and have whatever liquor you want delivered, but so many idiots need to be waited on. I'm not even inviting people over yet, and my province is at 30 new cases per day.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They do have some details figured out, for instance, players with immunocompromised spouses or children are not allowed to see their family until November. If they decline to play and have less than 7 years of Major League service, their team can elect to blacklist them from the MLB forever.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nothus posted:

What the gently caress? So much for the union.

This is based on the last deal the sides agreed on, which was in March. After the owners offered three deals in which the players would pay more games but not make any more money than the March deal, and one deal in which they'd made slightly more money but would have to pay the league out of pocket if the playoffs got cancelled, the owners then demanded the union agree in writing that the owners were not negotiating in bad faith. Now they're done negotiating over money but still fighting over health and safety.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

shovelbum posted:

A lot weaker unions than that have held a firmer line on the definition of good faith, jfc

Yeah, the players' union held firm and refused, so they're going with the last-resort plan they agreed to in March with 1/3rd of a season for 1/3rd pay. A big part of this is the optics for the upcoming strike after 2021, because the owners have been exploiting every loophole in the CBA that lets them pay players as little as possible. So a bunch of players tweeted "We're willing to play baseball, tell us when and where" while the owners were constantly leaking things like "It might be more profitable to cancel the baseball season and collect insurance money."

They need to do a bubble like the NBA is planning for any chance of a real season, though. The March plan was to only play baseball in Arizona and Florida if coronavirus made interstate travel unsafe, and uhhhhhhh

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

actionjackson posted:

is the season officially starting?

July 24th. They had all the teams in Florida and Arizona to play baseball there and minimize travel, now they're frantically scrambling for a new plan after 8 Phillies and a Blue Jay tested positive.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mastershakeman posted:

Ny shut down in the hundreds a day although had way fewwer tests, and a few weeks later hit 10k a day for a week or so

So Texas, ny and even zona are gonna get way way worse than ny

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone got the ant pbf comic

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Armacham posted:

My wife works for the largest hospital system in Arizona in the Trauma ICU. They are completely out of ventilators, ECMO machines, fentanyl, and Dilaudid.

I sure hope they have enough anaesthetic, because I know from experience that being intubated is more painful than going into cardiac arrest, or having bruised ribs from CPR.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Don't worry, the MLB is splitting into three leagues so that any outbreak will be confined to one of them!

Oops, West (Seattle), Central (Colorado), and East (Phillies and Blue Jays) each have teams with multiple positive cases. 1% of America and 2% of the MLB have tested positive for coronavirus.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

this one neat trick! statisticians hate it!

Forty 9/11s of dead Americans is so incomprehensible that I'm struggling with it. It hits me harder to remember individuals who have died - my best friend's grandpa, John Conway, Steve Dalkowski.

I honestly think if Tom Hanks or Boris Johnson had died of COVID-19, it would have saved hundreds of thousands of lives as people took it more seriously.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zeriel posted:

https://apnews.com/9d742ebaf97612860438dd3890dc810e

:stare:

Does this lower the IFR by ten times also?

This would be extremely good news if true because it means the IFR is way lower than we think. However, studies like this keep coming out and getting debunked, so I'm still not optimistic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

nooneofconsequence posted:

I had this happen. They didn't give me enough ketamine. I thought I was dead and in purgatory.

I was on a ventilator last year after a pulmonary embolism. They had to keep me conscious to check for brain damage, so I was on IV morphine. I scrawled "SHOOT ME" on a piece of paper several times; I should see if I still have that paper, maybe it would snap someone out of thinking that a lung-destroying illness is "just a flu".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Remember when people were getting felony charges for licking ice cream

Just a funny 2019 thing I just thought about for no particular reason

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

facetoucher cat posted:

I mean cats can get covid so it's understandable

It's a drat good thing rats can't get this virus, or everyone outside of Alberta would be having an even worse time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was in and out of consciousness a few times for what felt like weeks but was only like 2 days. Those were the worst parts. I can't remember what I kept asking for but they gave me a whiteboard to write on at one point and I could only illegibly scribble. I talked to my sister after and she was like, "yeah you weren't supposed to remember anything but they were afraid to give you more ketamine." Anyway that's my ventilator ted talk. 0/10 do not recommend.

For me, the worst part besides the pain was the thirst. Did you get that too? They didn't let me put water in my mouth for hours after I had the tube out, and it was even longer before I was allowed to drink.

do they still plan to run the league in Arizona and Florida lmao

No, the players will fly from city to city in private jets, with 3 separate leagues of 10 teams each. There are multiple confirmed cases in all three leagues. Play ball!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

empty whippet box posted:

it's 8 am and im still fuckin awake and i meant to get poo poo done todaymorrow but instead im gonna go to sleep and wake up at like 9 pm gently caress it

Me too. I've gotten past it being too late to message people, now it's socially acceptable to acknowledge that I'm awake again.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The US is being ravaged by a mutated evolution of the original SARS-CoV-2 that is three to nine times worse than the original, and this fact has no impact whatsoever on the government's response.

Crack ping

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CODChimera posted:

what is that 3-9x worse based on?

3 to 9 times more infectious, although it's not any deadlier than the original variant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

is there any actual data to back up the “its mutated to be less deadly” claim? How about data to support reductions in mortality thanks to better treatment (proning patients, remdesivir (if this even works at all??)?)

I will say that if there isn’t a jump in deaths by tuesday or so the picture starts to look a lot stranger imo

None whatsoever. Deaths have started increasing, one reason it took so long is that deaths in New York are still dropping from the dizzying peak.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pop Tarts always has a zillion dumb flavours and the store never has the same ones two months in a row, at least in my experience. I applaud your restraint if you're able to hoard sweet snacks, candy can never be stockpiled when I'm around.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It still isn't true. The virus is carried by droplets, which means that cloth masks help stop it from spreading.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fireside Nut posted:

I’m dumb about genetics. If my sister did a 23andMe and she doesn’t have the Neanderthal DNA that makes you more susceptible to bad roni outcomes, should that mean the same for me?

Yes.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chris James 2 posted:

Somehow the least surprising thing about this is there's a place in Tennessee called Lynchburg

Lynchburg, Virginia is named after the brother of the inventor of lynching.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The whole 'flattening the curve" messaging was bad though. By specifically making it about reducing the rate of infection rather than total case #s, we've given the chuds an easy excuse to ignore increasing cases out of hand.

Yeah. It would have been possible to eradicate covid-19 completely, but they went for "flatten the curve" as a promise weakly, deliver strongly kind of thing. That, like a lot of the early messaging, has completely backfired.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Meanwhile, Freddie Freeman of the Braves is so ill with covid-19 it convinced a teammate to opt out of the season, and multiple teams have indefinitely postponed practices because of outbreaks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

what is this country even good at anymore?

drone bombing civilians
enriching billionaires
emitting carbon
immiserating the poor (domestic + global)
lovely fast food
baying & hooting & hollering

what am i missing?

Robots that make expensive goods with no money going to factory worker wages

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gay picnic defence posted:

I assume all those crows are just waiting for the bodies to pile up

Crows, rats, and other scavengers are starving to death because of the lack of restaurants.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Being a non-plague-wanter sometimes feels like I'm part of a weird counterculture, judging by the number of people I see going out without a mask and buying food in indoor restaurants.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fosborb posted:

say, "yup, that's what all podiatric surgeons do to patients with diabetes; chopping off their legs one toe at a time" and then move on because it's literally built into the system

C-sections too. There's a reason the US has the highest rate of C-sections in the world, and it certainly isn't better maternal and infant mortality.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thoguh posted:

It probably would be best for America if baseball starts back up, runs for a week, and then has to shut down with players getting seriously sick. Something really public and hard to ignore it the only thing that might make people accept that this is real.

Nick Markakis, who is famous for never getting sick or hurt, saw how horribly covid-19 affected his teammate Freddie Freeman and opted out of the season. Mike Trout, the best player today and possibly ever, opted out of the season because his wife is pregnant. The league doesn't give a gently caress.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raccooon posted:

Not even a doctor but I knew what was going to happen in January. My brain immediately went to no guaranteed sick leave in the US and lol we are hosed. Make me the surgeon general.

In February I said there'd be thousands of needless deaths, but not a civil war or anything. I hope that second prediction holds true.

Zeno-25 posted:

If I have to give the roni to any one I hope it's a maskless chud. Exhaust valves sounds like a feature, not a bug

Masks only provide 30% protection against the virus when a healthy person wears them, but a 90% reduction in a sick person's risk of infecting others.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gio posted:

is there a breaking point for arizona, texas, cali, florida et al. where they lock down again?

The governor of Texas said ten days ago it would be 10,000 cases per day.

Guess what their case number is today. Still no lockdown.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gio posted:

is it possible to crank one out on a vent?

No, you also have a catheter inserted.

Also the tube down your throat is so painful that while I was conscious on a ventilator last year, I scrawled "SHOOT ME" all over the paper they gave me to communicate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

i repeat my prediction from an earlier version of this thread that doral tomp will, if there is even the slightest hesitation, use the supreme executive authority of the Defense Production Act to command the NFL to produce footbawl

The Dodgers had to have their equipment manager play left field during a game recently because they were out of players. If the NFL tries to play this fall we'll get to see what happens when an average joe goes up against elite athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Imagine telling someone in 2016, "After Trump becomes president, one country in North America will completely forbid all travel from the country to its south."