Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

SchrodingersCat posted:

Corona slowed played the hand like a champ. The US opened up too early and corona jumped on it like a drunk jock on his prom date. Sailing away on the crest of the wave, it's like magic.

Corona-Chan knows you don’t take the first wave of a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Stereotype posted:

no slowing that freight train down for two more weeks at best

two weeks? that’s Arizona, they’re not doing poo poo to slow it down. maybe by December it will have worked it’s way through the state, but that’s about the only way it’s slowing down.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mystes posted:

I realize that CSPAM doesn't like Obama (for good reason) and he probably wouldn't have done enough to help people who lost their jobs or whatever, but general pandemic response is the exact sort of situation where any sane person other than Trump would have done a better job.

my cat would’ve done a better job because Fauci would’ve given him a can of tuna and then done the sensible thing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

uh, got an amazon link or w/e, can’t just post that poo poo and leave a brother hanging.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

shovelbum posted:

A lot of places are firing for kids visible on zoom now

wow that’s hosed. my daughters 8 and her birthday was in April and we tried to do something on zoom but it obviously isn’t the same and it was sad. her favorite activities are all cancelled or closed and she can’t see her bff from school which is tough cause at this age she’s starting to make her own friends instead of just the kids of people we know. it all sucks.

her response has been to become a guild leader in a kids mmo about horse riding and training and I don’t know whether I’m proud or horrified. the latter mostly.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Ice Ice Baby is superior to Under Pressure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the most righteous prob this site has ever seen

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

If you can teach your kid how to be organized, timely, use a spreadsheet, learn how to delegate task, and how to deal with people (especially morons like the ones who forced us into quarantine in the first place!) then your kid's time will not be wasted, and will enable her to have better job prospects.

Schools and jobs have a big gap. Most job actions are doing the same poo poo over and over again to a higher specific skill set, while school (besides its social utility) is trying to build general fundamental skills and allow the child to discover what they would enjoy doing over and over again as a job.

I mean she’s 8 and she initiated a hostile takeover of a dressage club in Star Stables and then convinced 30 kids to switch to another server so that she couldn’t be taken out by the same tactics...

I’m not worried she cant fit into our poo poo corporate culture, I’m worried that she can.

tbf the previous club leader was a bossy poo poo and no one liked her.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 02:18 on Jul 3, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

lol at all the /r/childfree goons in this thread who also post screeds about their cats, just loving lol

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

mine screamed at me for a solid hour before and after eating breakfast, then started again a half hour before dinner. i wish there was a friggin school i could send this beast to during the days lol

both my child an my cat will literally draw blood if they’re not fed on time. gently caress em both.

the dogs alright, he can stay.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Get em an ipad and set em loose on youtube. Get some nazi programming

I feel like no one read my earlier posts where my kids become an mmo raider

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

hey question for the thread - can you spin cat fur into like wool? I have a ball of cat fur cause I brush my cat every night and it’s the size of my head now and very dense and soft and it seems like a waste not to use it for something given the apocalypse is upon us and all...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Sad Billionaire posted:

i googled and ofc there's a business that does this for dead pets so yeah i guess it's possible

cool I don’t think I have a sweaters worth but maybe like a portion of a scarf

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

childcare has always been something humans didnt do by themselves. used to be a tribe, community thing. then development of the nuclear family with capitalism hosed it up. schools are one of the last vestiges of that community system. it makes sense why parents are at their limit, it's a system failure once again

yes but maybe you should have thought about that before, and besides if you can afford to have kids you can afford to live in a good neighborhood where you can trust your neighbors not like those people, and furthermore...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What if we are child free and cat free

then like the Buddhists you have realized that desire is the source of all suffering. namaste.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fix posted:

There ya go.

gently caress yes, this is what I needed

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

namaste is hindu

well gently caress, it is too. trust the white cat and kid haver to gently caress that up.

e; are there Hindi speaking Buddhists who might use it? can someone save my terrible joke plz

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfJohn/status/1278553133380014080

Hahahahajajhajahhahhaaaaaahaahahaahahah the covid choir cannon strikes again

wait was this choir that was in photos yesterday or the day before that everyone was like, yeah they dead. because that’s perfect. gently caress don’t go yell at each other in confined areas - you can sing over zoom!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Sad Billionaire posted:

the full video's even more insane. she pretty much knocks herself out at the end.
https://twitter.com/whosalex/status/1278815661259661313

this is the craziest loving thing Ive ever seen. it’s a zombie. we got there!!!!

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Elderbean posted:

I'd say there was a short revival of Kung-Fu movies in the early 2000s. The Matrix, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill, etc.

As action films, that trend was way more fun than a whole goddamn decade of Disney Marvel poo poo.

oh yeah this was a good trend and I’m sad house style tent pole poo poo had taken over ‘action’ films. not that big a deal tho cause the Malay/Indonesian/Thai poo poo over the last decade has been good. lower budget, not well acted, and wildly more loving violent, but still, good.

also this whole generational divide bullshit is just marketing trying to figure out how to segment you to take your money and capital trying to setup more enemies for you so you don’t turn on them. don’t believe the hype.

e; oh an Korean fims, wild poo poo, often terrible, like really bad, occasionally mind bendingly fantastic.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

It's beautiful in parts and just boring brush for most. Very little of it is like Sahara barren.

I'm in the greenest/wettest/coldest corner and haven't seen a scary animal yet besides some marauding parrots.

The other night on a walk about 1,000 eagle-sized bats flew over us on a walk down the river after they turned the flood lights off at a local stadium and bug munching time ended. That was pretty freaky, my wife was panicking, but they weren't interested in us.

eh I drove from Adelaide to Uluru once with my cousin, and parts of it were pretty but mostly it was pretty loving barren. also that’s a long stupid drive don’t do it. also also people will literally laugh at you and tell you you’re going to die when you say you’re driving from Adelaide to the Rock.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Col.Schultz posted:

In Australia you need to get permission from our equivalent of the State Department saying that its in the national interest for you to leave the country. So while its not a ban on travel to the US, it might as well be.

Canada is afaik still under essential travel only, and regardless of purpose you’re supposed to go into a quarantined box for 14 days in return. buuuut, we have this huge porous border with Papa Nurgles states to our south, so, you know...

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

somebody please make black N95s, I want to look cool in the apocalypse

I lost my cool black mask and my wife has told me she’ll gut me in my sleep if I take hers so now I have to go back to my comfortable and effective but boring baby blue masks and it makes me sad.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

the thing that makes me lol the most is that most of the people raging against stuff aren’t doing anything interesting. like loving Applebee’s and haircuts and Disney downtown. not even the park, just the loving shopping mall.

like if someone said “ok, I know it’s a huge risk but I had the opportunity to eat a meal made by my idol cook and then me and my partner could have guilt free carnal relations with the #1s on our pass list” it’s be like yeah, ok, dumb but understandable. but no. it’s buying a $20 glitter shirt at Disney downtown. ffs. standards.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

slave to my cravings posted:

I can only read one cspam thread at a time. I had a three week break from corona to read the cool zone now I’m back here

it’s like Benzodiazepines, you need to build up a tolerance, just loving binge out and then slowly (very) wean yourself to a manageable level.

note: don’t loving do that with Benzos plz

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

people aren't desperate for cool poo poo, they're desperate for "normalcy" which is honestly the most depressing part of this entire thing

that so many people can't deal with a 3-4 month disruption to their lives is disturbing

yeah, I guess for me it’s just the highlight that the ‘normal’ is so loving mundane and lovely anyways who cares? like I miss my friends, i miss pub night, I miss lots of stuff but w/e it’s not the big thing. my kids are the big thing for me, and working through that. but these loving people are risking lives to get the 65th anniversary glitter shirt. lol.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the prima guide for cspam says you get your early crack pings in the covid and coolzone threads and then you have to grind them in the climate and trump thread for a while before you can challenge the final boss, the epstein thread

gently caress. I tried to rush the climate thread and then Covid hit. am I gonna have to restart?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Let my WoW subscription lapse but I've been amusing myself by running a little level 20 character through as many zones as possible picking up flight points.

atm she's doing corpse runs through the Eastern Plaguelands, getting whacked repeatedly by plague bats and abominations. Only way to the flight points, so press on.

I don't think this is a healthy activity during these times.

I’m playing the Division 2. which is fashy trash but also you can kill cops and take their clothes sorta. unclear on if it’s helping. oh and darkest dungeon but it’s good. and me and my daughter have like, the best loving Animal Crossing island.

e; oh but I also resubbed to eve, which is also and a sign the end is nigh.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Jul 11, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

snoo posted:

I guess that's a scrunchy and not duct tape lmbo

it’s American apparel that’s a tricky guess. the dude behind them was a major sex pest and forced out I think they went out of business idk

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/g2442/american-apparel-ads/

e; I really wanted to link the infamous rear end in a top hat behind a thong ad that caused a huge uproar but it’s apparently been scrubbed but here’s a censored version

https://thefrisky.com/forget-bush-american-apparel-experiments-with-exposed-butthole-nsfw/

e2; uh it’s AA so nsfw

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Jul 11, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Raccooon posted:

Not even going to disney land just to the disney store lol

right? like ok I get obsessing over the park, it’s dumb and foolish but I can understand it, but wtf. it’s a store. lol. so loving dumb.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I just a left a Toronto hipster coffee shop. It was packed with GenZs, whispering amongst each other about moving 2500 miles to literally the only other place in Canada thats more expensive than here

yeah lol. Gen Z fleeing to Vancouver. uh huh. to live where? poo poo hasn’t gotten any cheaper here.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I've been looking for a PS4 pro for months and they've completely sold out across the country. All retail is closed here. Had a PS4 before but missed out on tlou2/Spiderman/Tsushima and I guess Days Gone and Death Stranding. The latter two look mediocre but I'd take anything right now.

I've finished nearly every 3rd party grindy open world game already. Started playing the Division 2 expansion on xbox that I bought months ago but avoided because it hits a little too close to home right now.

And I just remembered I have the last season of Better Call Saul to catch up on. Please tell me it doesn't suck

it doesn’t. I’m enjoying Division 2 or as I think of it, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2021.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

e; saw mod law, no dick slicing opinions allowed particularly by us gentiles apparently

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 07:58 on Aug 27, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Are you moving to Vancouver? Cases aren't looking so hot there either, and tourism is critical to the economy along with international investment in housing, so they're hosed.

yeah I can’t wait until the housing market here collapses and I’m underwater but oh look the service and tourist economy is also gone so the huge real estate collapse doesn’t even help with affordability! yay.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Speaking of Vancouver, the Trump hotel, which is in the second biggest tower in the city, just went out of business due to covid/Trump backlash. Lol

Even before it was finished the mayor was trying to get them to change the name. Opened in 2016.

Will be happy to see this gone next time I visit

I used to work across the street from this while it was being built and shortly after it opened and even before trumps run the city was like “no really don’t pay trump for his brand it’s a bad idea” and the local developers were like “no it’s going to be great!” lol.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

facetoucher cat posted:

Beans cause war.

Because of this thread I started growing red runner beans and that attracted a hummingbird. I was happy because it gave me something to stop and hyper-focus on for a minute or two at a time while it was feeding. Just a little chill out session.

It was a she and she built a nest in the tree next to my porch. Cool right? Not totally. Hummingbirds are turbo territorial over their feeding area.

Another hummingbird showed up and the fighting started.

So I crafted a feeder out of a condiment cup, nontoxic acrylic paint, some jewelry wire, and sugar water. Thought they'd have enough food.

Nope.

So I crafted another one on the opposite end of my 10 foot porch.

This just attracted more hummingbirds with more fighting. Mind you, they do not give a gently caress if I'm sitting here and they'll actually go after my cats so they're not allowed on the porch during the day anymore. The cats are not pleased with this turn of events.

Then migration started but the original hummingbird still has babies next to my porch with the other birds setting up shop in the nearby trees.

What started with just some bean plants has turned into dawn till dusk aerial warfare. It still serves its purpose of distracting me from any thoughts that might be worming into my brain just now it's bird on bird violence.

pages back but this is awesome and while I feel for the cats I mostly envy a front row seat at the hummingbird arena. natures healing.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

this is the best summary of tormp. lovely branded frozen steaks from sharper image. and a bunch of loving idiots made him President.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

MorrisBae posted:

I wonder if existing restaurants will adapt by removing their seating areas to build additional kitchens on the same property for other “restaurants”

If you’re just making food for Uber Eats/Curbside, who gives a poo poo what the place looks like

Like that might be a viable business - landlord renting kitchen space for a carry-out only restaurant. Kind of like how beauty salons rent out stalls to hairdressers.

they’re called ghost kitchens and they’ve been a thing since well before COVID.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

lmfao this is the dumbest take

like when I started reading it I thought you were gonna go for an "you know early Atari games were built in hex" angle but this is somehow worse

yeah that’s a really dumb take. musicians particularly have a famous relation to math. personally I do a lot of visual art and love to play with css and jscript frameworks - not heavy coding but the personal artistic fulfillment is the same. this is dumb.

e; irritatingly dumb. what about digital artists? film makers? editors? vfx and shader writes? I’m annoyed with how dumb that idea is here it is in all it’s dumb glory

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Making this clearer.

When a person draws, or makes music, they are directly interacting with the medium. Where as with coding there is this layer between a person who plays a video game (or runs a program) and the actual typed in code.

If a person were to "play with code" in the same way they make music, they would be using linux terminal command lines to perform tasks in their operation systems.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Oct 11, 2020

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

if you aren't wearing a smock covered im random dabs of paint and holding a paint palette in one hand and then with your other hand youve got a brush but you're currently holding it in your fist with your thumb up and you're looking at your canvas with one eye closed and your tongue out then you're not an artist

must also be missing an ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Here are the two posts.

I didn't bring up "Digital Artists, Film makers, Editors, VFX and Shade writers." You brought it up. You are the only making the relationships. I don't give a gently caress about that poo poo, just like I don't give a gently caress about the post the guy made about star wars because I didn't give a loving about bringing up the art of producing film.

I only brought coding video games, Drawing, and "making music," which I am sorry for not being specific and saying "Play an instrument."

I am also sorry for not bring up the specific coding example I had in my head, which was coding a game like snake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmXxpIj6vs

The whole argument is about the definition of the word play.
I had a narrow definition.
Everybody else has a wider one.

I hosed up for not defining my term of "play" as performing acts like playing an instrument, or drawing, the act of making lines on paper, and allow me to add in "playing sports." Actives that have a physical aspect where a person performs actions.

You WRITE code and then run the program. Then PLAY with that program.

You can "Play" with code in a broader definition. Like how in VB basic you can make your "Hello World" Program have it crash, find the part where you didn't type in a semicolon, run the program again. Yes that is also "Playing" with code.

Sorry.

sorry, I still think this is dumb.

e; the post above me was not dumb. it was hilarious.

squirrelzipper has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Oct 11, 2020