Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Only a sore arm from my 2nd Pfizer. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

This'll go well without any kind of lockdown measures to speak of.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Would it ever be reasonably safe for an mRNA booster to just throw the latest strain into straight production and distribution? I assume every yearly variety of flu vaccine gets tested with clinical trials but they still seen able to turn them around very quickly or maybe the flu doesn't mutate as fast as covid?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
From ABC news reporting on some leaked CDC data.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/symptomat..._posts_card_hed

quote:

With more than 156 million Americans fully vaccinated, nationwide, approximately 153,000 symptomatic breakthrough cases are estimated to have occurred as of last week, representing approximately 0.098% of those fully vaccinated, according to an unpublished internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention document obtained by ABC News. These estimates reflect only the adult population and do not include asymptomatic breakthrough infections

Ignoring the uselessness of the .098 number how do you all think the CDC is producing the 153,000 number? I was just thinking they'd have a study going using a sample of Americans being tested and reporting symptoms and so on. Because it seems so straightforward and useful... but that's not happening is it?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
The ABC article referencing the leaked CDC internal data "symptomatic" cases with unknown methodology was made into a neat graphic for the front page of Reddit. I guess a nice byproduct will be people not believing they could be symptomatic or spreading covid when they have it because people say it's so incredibly rare.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
What's the most reasonable theory on why coronavirus causes damage to seemingly random parts of the body? I'm picturing it being like a spikey cactus ball that pokes everything but I doubt it's that simple.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Schnorkles posted:

Some of these R governors are clearly thinking their political careers rests on rejecting everything COVID-wise.

jokes on them their voters are all gonna be dead

Pretty sure Newsom's political career also rests on rejecting any new restrictions.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Wondering if the design of COVID-19 is such that it can't really mutate into a milder illness because it's always going to bind to that very common receptor and provoke devasting immune responses trying to clear it all out from our internal organs. Good thing it's going to be endemic.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

do we even have testing capacity still going to get to last year's numbers or are we gonna cap out early? didn't some states just go full covid-is-over / open biden and stop tracking?

So less cases (because lack of testing) and more hospitalizations will make Delta seem even more dangerous right? Don't see a big downside in that but doubt it will change much.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Biden is going to try and run on his managing the pandemic (will not try to accomplish anything anyway so no other choice) and Trump will simply interrupt him mid debate with "I didn't get a thousand kids killed" to hoots and hollers from the audience and clinch the presidency.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Cool post from the GBS thread.

LanceHunter posted:

Now, for a quick detour into some of the wildest poo poo I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/status/1421464141697540099?s=20

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

mila kunis posted:

talking to my uncle and he was saying something about mrna vaccines being more likely to need booster shots compared to the traditional ones; is there anything to this or is it bullshit?

I know someone who heard about pfizer advocating for boosters and just assumed that meant they were the worst vaccine

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Opened the Seattle EMS logger and immediately saw like 5 calls to the same spot next to a popular swimming hole, checked the location on twitter only to find videos of people doing CPR on a drowning victim.

Immediate regret.

Sorry you had to see that but this is a pretty amazing example of the internet.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

meet girls at the store posted:

I’m kinda jealous, I wish we were panic buying in the US. I miss that early pandemic feeling, in that it beats the hell out of constantly being gaslit

https://twitter.com/GregCrennan/status/1422590146252136450?s=20

Interesting to see that China, as effectively as it has handled the pandemic, has also not provided it's citizens with food quality masks.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
I keep seeing people occasionally post about a less deadly mutation being the future of covid. This might be a little deep in knowledge for the thread but does anyone know how that happened for the Spanish flu or the cold in terms of the virus mechanics? Is it just another assumption we should be questioning?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The Spanish Flu had four waves (in America?), from 1918 to 1920, but that was before air travel or even modern interstate travel. COVID could take much longer then that (if it happens at all, like you're saying).

Is it actual human known knowledge about what changed behaviorally with the virus to make them less deadly? I get the evolutionary pressure to do so but not what actually changed. My worry is that COVID-19 is basically on a race to prime all it's spikes to 100% but otherwise behaves predicably deadly going forward.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

TheSlutPit posted:

Viral fitness is dependent on how well a virus spreads between hosts and viruses that kill their hosts or make them very sick tend to spread less well than viruses that don’t. One of the reasons covid is bad compared to like SARS 1, MERS or Ebola is that it’s fatal enough to kill tens of millions if spread unmitigated but not devastating enough to put everyone infected into a bed immediately after becoming symptomatic. The problem right now is that the current mutations confer higher transmission rates while apparently preserving the IFR of a novel coronavirus. As more of the population is exposed or vaccinated we *may* see the IFR drop and the virus settle into a state where the highest-fitness variant simply spreads through cold-like symptoms, but it takes a huge amount of exposure (and deaths) to reach that point. Basically it will happen eventually but we can do a lot to affect the number of zeroes on the death toll while getting there.

Thanks for the detailed response. Is there a mechanism we know of where covid doesn't infect every receptor it finds throughout the body but chooses to stay specifically in like the nasal track or something? Could it be too dumb to ever change it's behavior in a way that makes it milder?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

fosborb posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAngryEpi/status/1423671970969751553?s=19

yup, that's the strategy this wave. rack up as many bodies as possible to crank up fear so people get vaccinated

when we could be shipping every drat household KN95s and instructions on how to get a vaccine and why it's important

Yeah providing high filtration masks and at home testing kits would have been a great way for Biden to kick off his more serious covid response. Oh well. I guess Trump was actually handling things optimally and Biden could only continue his strategy of doing gently caress all and letting local entities scramble around ineffectively.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

AppleNippleBOB posted:

my boss doesn't give a gently caress. Wants me to make sure I get a second test because "hes heard of a lot of false positives"

I got a PCR test.

I don't even know if they'll let me get a second test. I'm quarantined.

Nevermind see you answered this already

Elea has issued a correction as of 20:54 on Aug 6, 2021

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

I honestly dont understand how Biden and that administration think that this Covid response is the path to success in the midterms.

What other accomplishment or vision for the future can he run on? He's gonna get hit from both sides as Republicans decry the dead kids and the mask suggestion.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Goobish posted:

Can they still test for antibodies or whatever to see if you had covid if you've been vaxxed? No doctor has suggested that yet but I'm starting to think some of them are just as dumb as I am.

I'm fairly certain they can but the antibodies may have worn off.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Bluna facefits are really nice and comfortable. I don't get how a higher filtration mask can be so easy to breath through but thanks for the recommendation thread.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

lol what are the chances we’re not still going to be fighting this a year from now

Much less the entire world needing them.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Weather Chopper 9 posted:

Outing myself as a narc but Bill Bryan, the guy who spoke before Trump's comment, later said that after they went off the stage, Trump claimed in private that he was spouting bullshit so that the media would go in a frenzy and that he was basically the puppet master there.

Bill Bryan is also a dumb piece of poo poo so I don't believe this actually happened and this was just trying to look cool after the fact, but that's what he said.

Trump is dumb as gently caress but I believe he can read a room pretty well so, if true at all, he probably just figured out he said something stupid and started making excuses

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

you would think functioning governments would be giving out n95 equivalents to everyone for free. are there any functioning governments doing that atm? must be nice there if so

There was a picture of Chinese people stocking up on supplies to prepare for a lockdown and they were all wearing crappy surgical masks.

Would be smart for governments to provide some basic emergency supplies, including good masks, before a pandemic even struck. As we know from Faucis emails though, our "science-based" CDC didn't even believe they worked initially.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

What if it turns out they are doing the same kind name matching bad math the right wing election deniers are doing.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

jetz0r posted:

lots of people keep saying covid is going to evolve itself into being harmless, when we've literally seen the exact opposite happen this whole pandemic. none of the VoCs have been noticeably less dangerous than 1.0, while plenty have been much worse.

Yeah this is the next big assumption people should be questioning. It's going to be a popular "fact" as people try to spin endemic COVID-19 as okay. But maybe the virus just becomes more deadly as the more virulent strains are selected because the increased damage is a byproduct. Maybe it doesn't actually have a mechanism for becoming less deadly available to it.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

I guess I don't understand why a CSPAM poster getting vaccinated is newsworthy??

https://twitter.com/AFPphoto/status/1426169163903553545?s=19

Maine had a long time woods hermit too and the funny detail I always remember was that he was an avid listener to Rush Limbaugh.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.us...g%3fcontext=amp

Just completely detached from society. Except for getting increasing infuriated from listening to Rush all day every day.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Was wondering if education in general make any strides with this forced experience of online learning. Like new plans for better quality online schools from more traditional universities? More course designs shared online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Otter_Sauce posted:

I can tell you that atleast at my university, coivd moving classes online has definitely accelerated previous plans to move classes and even whole degrees online( atleast offering the option for it). So while I hope that maybe there has been some added effort to make online learning not so poo poo, I know for sure people at my uni are def making some big moves for online learning.

That's good I think. Some less scammy online options for people that need to work through college.

Even unrelated to the safety during the pandemic I always thought some national infrastructure of online courses and modules would be great thing. Especially for really small schools. Like a black student in some rural Idaho town could have a wide variety of African American studies courses to supplement their education. Advanced mathematics courses for kids that are outpacing instruction and so on. Covid was a good opportunity to start setting something like that up but yeah, the person who said it's more typical to rush back to normalcy seems right.