Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://twitter.com/covidperspectiv/status/1268283037139140613?s=21

I might have lost the ability to parse good news, but... aren’t these good news?

r0 > 1 is bad. r0 < 1 means it'll burn itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

So... coronavirus is...

bad?

:thunk:

Give it a chance

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Often Abbreviated posted:

This is interesting. Russia is still one of the big mysteries - the number of cases has skyrocketed (per head of population they're getting close to UK/Italy levels of bad) but the number of deaths has been extremely low. Either they're massively underreporting deaths or they're doing something different that keeps people alive.

they're killing doctors that try to report the deaths.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Sunny Side Up posted:

here. i went hard. Just FYI---average YEARLY deaths from EITHER influenze OR pneumonia from 1999-2016 is 57,721/yr or 1110/wk. I threw that "average" line as well although I highly doubt it's linear like I have it.

looks like the crisis is almost over

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

well I didn’t know that

lol it’s getting worse then, nice

:hai:

reopening necessarily causes cases to start spread again, that's why doing it without comprehensive testing and contact tracing is a Bad idea.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Thoguh posted:

I think we're back in the period from January and February where this thread advocated buying beans and the rest of the world ignored things.

But this time we know to also buy masks, hand sanatizer, and toilet paper for the second wave

i bought more beans just this past weekend

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

February: beans, sanitizer, bidet, seeds, nitrile gloves, etc...
June: beans, gun, gas mask, plate armor, umbrella, laser, etc...

oh man.

what if we bought laser beans

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i'm glad i don't trust the WHO, only my fists. i punch nonstop to clear the air of any viral particles trying to enter my body cavity. they can't harm me. i don't need the WHO or their fancy "statements" and "corrections".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

everyone loves coronavirus, the virus that likes to chill!

we regret to inform you asymptomatic people can spread coronavirus.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

grocery stores should just take all orders online and then pack the food and supplies into one of those t-shirt guns and shoot it through your car's open passenger window.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

went on a hike yesterday with a mask and it loving SUCKS

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

if your management disregards your health and safety the only solution is a kinetic conversation.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

folks i'm starting to think that the coronavirus is bad

quote:

Houston rapper Scarface has revealed that is still recovering from significant internal damage caused by coronavirus three months after testing positive for the disease.

The artist, whose real name is Brad Jordan, tested positive for Covid-19 in March after suffering from symptoms including a fever and difficulty breathing.

Speaking to Fox 5 DC, Scarface updated fans on his current health, saying: “I’m still a little weak. I don’t have a lot of strength in my legs yet, I still haven’t got full taste back and sense of smell yet. But I am glad to be alive.”

The 49-year-old musician revealed that he is still using a dialysis machine “every day”, explaining: “Covid attacked my lungs first, and then it attacked my kidneys and knocked them out. I got full lung recovery, but my kidneys never came back.”

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

my stepdad had a stroke after he visited phoenix. coincidence? u decide.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Stereotype posted:

The protesters were pretty much all wearing masks, both because of the pandemic and because it obscures your identity and makes it harder for the police to retaliate against you personally. The protests were also almost entirely outside. Wearing masks and limiting indoor gatherings are the two sure fire ways to reduce transmission.

yah at the protests i've been to i didn't see a single person without a mask of some kind, except the cops lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

STEROIDS, THEY FIX EVERYTHING

(also they kill you)

(also they have heinous side effects)

(also if you cold turkey them you also die)

Sign me up!!!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

look at the chompers on that loving dinosaur

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Grey Fox posted:

lol apparently it's like 33% of its potential size

i would like to ride one. witness me when i majestically scream after getting my entire leg bitten off by a creature whose lineage extends into the deep primordial anger of the world. as i lay bleeding out on the ground i will achieve apotheosis before i lose control of my bowels and poo poo myself. truly, humans are the masters of the universe.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

oh so one of my preceptors like loving cowrote a paper on proning patients with ards and explained to me today why it works

essentially if you look at a CXR of someone with ARDS it's a total white out, but if you look at a CT of the same patient it's the posterior and inferior aspects of the lungs that are primarily effected. This is because we spend eight hours a day on our backs and 16 hours on our feet, so gravity causes all the blood to flow there and consolidations form.

When you put someone to the prone position, you're forcing the blood to flow to the anterior aspect of the lungs that aren't going to have the consolidations, and increase gas exchange.

This is completely new from what I had understood was the MOA for proning patients and thought you guys might find it interesting.

huh, that makes sense. i never considered the idea that the lungs have poor perfusion of blood depending body orientation but that makes sense that pooling or whatever would occur over time like that.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

nah, bats just have weird immune systems that select for rapid intercellular infection. when their diseases get into us our immune systems are just completely worthless, just trash.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I still go to taco trucks/crab cars and you can't stop me

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i had a mask implated into my lungs so i don't have to wear one on my face like an animal

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

millenials today are so goddamn spoiled they want a second wave of disease before they're finished with the first one!!!!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

too busy to wear a mask, too busy to shower, to busy to take a poo poo. this is freedom, baby!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Elizabeth Holmes must be kicking herself for not being able to grift on coronavirus treatments

i imagine she's pretty upset that she isn't head of the FDA, which she 100% could have been under this admin

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

god drat what a time for grifting

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1273647847448215556

i've seen some dumb poo poo, but this is probably the dumbest loving thing i've seen in a while

they're loving preform blanks for making blow molded plastic bottles. what in the goddamm gently caress

yeah it's amazing. just phenomenal grift

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Raccooon posted:

There is no stopping this poo poo at this point without a country wide shelter in place for like 2 months minimum

Stopping what? The virus is done. Everyone.
Is fi E. No disease!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I was trying to find the positive % test rate and found this gem instead.

lol

hmm. something tells me the area of those two curves aren't the same

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

lol what the hell is this?

trum,p fed some football team fast food at the whitehouse and that was the table layout

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

cash crab posted:

by the way, i am not depressed and defeated because c-spam has broken my brain, but for other people it's very :(

one of my cousins sent me an email back in April with the numbers california was seeing and what that meant for the length of the pandemic and he was like "other people said we'll be done in a few months, but unless I'm crazy it's pretty clear this is gonna last like, years?" and i just said yeah, lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I love city-data. It is endless entertainment.

this is the greatest hardship these people have ever faced

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what a loving moron. plateaus are, by definition, level

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

i wash my hands one (1) time per day and never any more.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ardennes posted:

The SARS vaccine was probably viable if it had more time, but got its funding cut. There are several vaccines going into phase 3 trials, maybe we are all being gaslit and nothing works but at the same time, I think the more likely scenario is they get something that "sort of works" like the vaccine being done by Oxford and roll with it. Also, this is an international effort so it isn't just American biotech firms working on this.

I could see virologists being concerned about a rushed vaccine from the get go and who knows what the long-term consequences will be.

After the incredible nonsense that came from the French fraud doctor and hydroxychloroquine I can't imagine the sane countries will accept anything other full validated testing. The US will, of course, turn to liquified money shots and essential oils.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

All my lmaos are off screen, laughing too

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Rauros posted:

unprecedented might be the word. biology doesn't have a rule book.

yeah it does, it's called Molecular Biology of THE CELL 6th Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Squizzle posted:

i hope this destroys college sports

that would destroy college too tbh