Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm sure this will be taken in measured response.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1270063282569781250

Oh word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

tonight we get 420,000 deaths

Edit: drunk, high, and illiterate is no way to go through life, son.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mr. Pizza posted:

post the ghana pallbearers edit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

love to read crazy people forums

:thermidor:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lol "simple mistake" that just so happens to obfuscate increasing Covid-19 cases in a state run by chuds.

Sure.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I just wanted to point out that the mod who gave out this probation is a very stupid person, and is emblematic of the problem the US faces.
"Don't tell someone to traumatize a child"

Or put another way, don't tell the truth if it will upset people. This is what's being done at every level and its why we will never beat this thing. The mother in that story should be shamed for her stupidity, and yes her kids should know she's putting lives in danger.

I 100% agree with this. Kids are wiser than what people give them credit for. My 6 year old daughter can't fathom why people would smoke cigarettes because you'll die from that, and she understands that getting Covid-19 could hurt you forever or kill you.

Bullshit probe for a good post and even better advice.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pump Jockey posted:

A personal milestone today: it’s been 100 days since I left my house. :unsmith:

That's close to "spaceship to Mars" time, IIRC

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm late to the cooking discussion, but here's my serious advice.

Go watch Good Eats. All of it. All 14 seasons.

Your thoughts on Alton Brown aside, he does a hell of a job explaining not only how to cook things but why we cook the way we do. The explanations are sound, and the recipes tend to be very accessable with little specialty equipment or herbs/spices.

Once you learn how cooking works, you can learn how to cut corners, how to improvise, and how to get fancy.

However, if you're the stereotypical basement dwelling, takeout munching neckbeard, you have to recognize that your palate is poisoned by food engineered to light up your lizard brain synapses. This poo poo uses few spices and herbs, instead subbing in sugar, butter, and palm oil. It will take time for your broken brain to realize what real food tastes like, so you can't just make a great dish, hate it because it's not deep fried trash, and give up. You're the broken one, not the recipe.

Finally, to the weirdos who can't keep lettuce fresh in a fridge, here's how you do it:
1) buy lettuce
2) obtain doubled over paper towels long enough to wrap the head
3) moisten paper towels, then ring dry to remove excess water
4) wrap head in damp paper towels
5) place wrapped head into any plastic bag
6) place in crisper
I've had lettuce heads stored this way last for at least a month. I didn't even invent this, I learned it on the internet. For gently caress's sake y'all, learn to Google.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MorrisBae posted:

Is there a website where I can just like tell it what ingredients I have at home and it shoots out recipes based on my available stockpile

Sure, but if you're that lazy I bet your fridge is a wasteland of five year old condiments and a single box of baking soda

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Red meat is treated with carbon monoxide to hold the red color even when it's frozen. If you leave red meat alone for long enough the CO blows off leaving the reddish-brown color of myoglobin. I'd cook it definitely within like four days to be safe.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

is pepsi ok posted:

Goons really love talking down to people about food, huh?

Hell yeah! If you roll into a thread whining that no one taught you how to cook on the internet that also stores all human knowledge, including cooking recipes and theory, you're gonna get dunked on hard.

Also food is 100% culture, people don't want to change their eating habits because it changes memetics they have around food, and humans hate altering their memetics for any reason.

Your food culture is a piece of poo poo (YFCPOS)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

shovelbum posted:

This is a pretty lame take for a supposedly Marxist forum on like several levels imo

What's the lame take? That people get addicted to manufactured food at both a chemical and memetic level? That American food culture is trash? That people should look up how to cook, learn some theory, then put it into practice?

Home cooking is praxis.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Dang, the emptyquote from nine pages ago is still relevant. Amazing

Didn't you know that the true MLM-compliant action is to never learn any new skill on your own and instead continue to consume literal scrap food chemically altered to hack your brain and destroy your body?

I learned that today.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Marzzle posted:

but really, the best thing ppl on here could do is just offer advice for how to eat well and healthily with little cash. I like trying indian stuff since it's a cuisine I like and it's pretty healthy if it's just like, some chickpea curry.

It's kinda depressing to read about advanced cooking techniques and specialized ingredients while navigating the shithole "recipe internet" that seems obsessed with something like "preparing your garam masala spice mix from whole seeds" and dumb poo poo like that.

I miss the CSPAM beans thread b/c that's prob the closest you could get to a CSPAM cooking thread that isn't just about cooking fancy rear end poo poo at home. Inexpensive, healthy recipes are just another one of the many, many victims of the atomization and alienation that the free market has imposed on regular people and it's dumb to blame those who have been victimized by it for not bootstrapping enough

Cool, glad to learn that *checks notes* reading about a topic is "bootstrapping".

This whiny poo poo is why the left always loses. Better yourself to better society.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

"bootstrapping" cooking like it isn't one of the most basic loving human tasks

yes our current society has deviated away from it, but I don't understand not wanting to grasp the basics of a skill literally needed to survive in any situation, even in our cyberpunk hellscape

Yeah this, loving Homo habilis cooked food and they probably didn't even have loving language, let alone a database on how to do anything, but teaching oneself a skill that non-verbal ape-men could figure out is "bootstrapping." Oh ok.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Marzzle posted:

the cspam covid 19 thread is about putting other people down and virtue signaling about your foodie passions

Ah yes, I'm virtue signalling while I eat my lunch of leftover sausage beans and greens served over brown basmati rice. Yep, all signal no substance over here.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

If you were really virtuous there wouldn't be any meat

But andouille sausage is delicious!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Marzzle posted:

try channeling your weird food anger into something useful instead of raging on the internet against people you're never gonna meet dude

Ah yes, the "u mad bro?" post. Useless white noise.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SardonicTyrant posted:

I enjoy cooking for myself, it's just I'm lazy and keep going "ok, I'll order something so I can quickly eat and do some cleaning at the same time" and then I end up being too full to move.

Next time order half the amount your normally do.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fosborb posted:

so anyway, is one of the lasting side effects of COVID inner ear problems that might make walking on ramps a challenge?

No but minor strokes will cause that.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Don't forget that even if you don't die from Covid you can get so hosed up that you wish for death every day and suffering a shorter life expectancy, not to mention that if your lungs get hosed up we have no idea how that will interplay with a likely reinfection since SARS-nCoV-2 is definitely going endemic.

Why does everyone focus on the death and not the long term damage done to the recovered?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

PCR tests give reasonably high false negatives when experts do it, lmao at a patient trying to do it properly

Random PCR failings has easily taken at least two years off my lifespan from the stress inflicted.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
What the gently caress is BCG made out of? Water from the holy grail? Nanites? Ambrosia?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know, but obv we should start giving it to everyone and see what else it cures. I wonder if any alternative medicine providers have started doing that yet?

No poo poo, whats the worst that could happen?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

This definitely needs to become a smilie.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

euphronius posted:

I’m glad covid is back !!

You can't call it a comeback when it never left!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Thanks thread for snapping me back into reality.

The medium-sized uni I work at in Small Town, Midwest is having students come back in the fall. An obvious large second peak is on its way and no one will stop it when it arrives. Civil unrest is already at the highest levels I can remember in almost 40 years of life, and we may have food shortages towards the end of the year.

Looks like I WILL buy those guns.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kerning Chameleon posted:

nah

also kids are literal parasites and it's incredibly hosed up they're the sole method our species has to perpetuate itself

Shut up idiot. Just because you're a broken failed human being doesn't mean the rest of us are or have to be.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

For the food shortages, I've been picking up extra shelf stable poo poo during my weekly supply runs. I'll buy a couple cans of soup, a can of spam, a bag of rice, beans, etc. It kinda drives my roommate nuts because we don't have a lot of places to put it.

I really need to invest in a bread machine.

:same:

Omg beans

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean, it's pretty clear it's a deliberate cull of 'undesirables' by an administration full of racists and Christian Dominionists. The incompetence excuse doesn't fly anymore.

Never attribute to incompetence what you can attribute to malice.

Alternative: incompetence and malice are indistinguishable.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Thoguh posted:

Naw, my in law grandparents are absolutely back at bingo and say it is crowded. And even though they are wearing masks while shopping and have strong opinions about people that don't wear masks they've decided they can take them off while playing because they aren't walking.

:pallbearers:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jon Irenicus posted:

we might bust through strokes this month

Jesus this thing is gonna wind up being the #3 killer in the US before the summer is out!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

Good to see this thread is back to getting over a thousand posts a day and everyone is crack pinging again.

Again? Dawg I never stopped!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fosborb posted:

i have :20bux: if someone has the gif

Please someone make this happen!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What the gently caress is this?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

This is a great smilie.

Let's call it :snapchat:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Just when I think I can't hate Americans more, I learn something new that stokes the fires of loathing.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Fuckin' yikes :magical:

That's the US' second worst Monday for the entire pandemic so far, and it's only a scant 232 cases behind the worst Monday way back on April 6:

That second week in April was when New York finally started turning things around and finally started getting the rate of infection under control, and a week later their death rate also started dropping.

Oh man next week is gonna be some serious poo poo, and it's almost perfectly timed for an Independence Day multi super spreader scenario.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

etalian posted:

You know for July 4 especially in Chud states people will still be having large gatherings and parties without face masks due to "Fake News / Dem Hoax!"

Oh I'm counting on it! My small rural Midwestern city is having a god drat block party on July 5th. loving. Morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

I was never able to get into the miniseries, but I read the book when I was 13 or so and I remember feeling secure in just how bleak it was. Can't happen, have fun reading kiddo!!!

poo poo poo poo sucks

I was itchin' real bad to watch that miniseries but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where to snag it?