Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's been a week now since I went back to work and honestly I don't mind wearing the mask. I've acclimated to it and it's nice not having to smile at people.

Absolutely none of our customers give a poo poo that were in the middle of a pandemic. Makes me wonder why I'm going to so much trouble to sanitize everything when we've had exactly one customer come in with a mask. Just an endless parade of fat disgusting hogs waddling into here howling and demanding their margaritas and molten cheese to fuel their 250-400 pound bulks.

I loving hate Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

yeah i'd probably stop giving a poo poo about sanitizing things at that point myself

Mandatory or we get shut down.

It's not like I have anything better to do right now as it's still kind of slow. I'm going to see if I can get moved to back of house for my next couple weeks of shifts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The masks aren't perfect protection, but that's not the point, nothing is perfect protection.

Anything that reduces/filters this thing makes it less likely to spread and slows it down. It's why we're sanitizing the gently caress out of everything even though surface contact is a low-likelihood transmission vector. Every bit helps, it all adds up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm so loving sick of cleaning all this poo poo only to watch waddling hogs lumber into the place and spray spittle everywhere. Why even loving bother.

If we're going to get the 1.5th wave can it hurry the gently caress up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thoguh posted:

Skull or anybody else working in restaurants... Are you busy at all after being open again for a while?

Green Bay: busier this week than last week but still at about 30-40% of our usual nightly crowd. we still haven't seen any of our dining regulars with exception of a few. I think tonight and tomorrow night we might get a full house though (well, full, taking in account we cut max capacity by a third)

patio dining is more popular than it's ever been and our dedicated patio servers are getting really stressed out trying to handle them all while the two inside servers are standing around talking with their masks off

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

in retrospect April was way too early to bust out the "space between lightning and thunder" thread title

just had my first covid nightmare this morning after 2 weeks back at work. the surreal feeling of watching all these idiots go around as if nothing is happening while daily rate growth is curling back up is really hard to square

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just don't see how we actually continue, this is like a zombie economy with half of everyone not going out, and the other half putting themselves at high risk of getting a disease that puts them on their rear end for 4-6 weeks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

This is what we all thought was happening in may and it didn't work for whatever reason

I think the problem was we thought the lockdown basically paused things and that when we reopened it would immediately resume the type of growth we saw in March after we'd gone 6 weeks with zero restrictions whatsoever

that wasn't the case, there needed to be another period of uncontrolled growth before it could go exponential again. But this time we still have a lot of people staying at home, a lot of people wearing masks (even if most people aren't), a lot of people sanitizing everything, etc, which is going to slow down that growth rate and make it take longer to reach March 16th-31st levels of growth

It's entirely possible that this takes another 2 months to really get back to that initial period of explosive growth

We know a few things for a fact, though:

1. We haven't in any way "burned out" this disease nor are we remotely close to herd immunity
  2. People are taking it less and less seriously as time goes on which means they're taking fewer and fewer precautions
  3. There is no goddamn vaccine and most people still haven't been exposed yet so there's no antibiodies, they're still at risk of catching it

COVID isn't remotely over, we're just currently in the lull that the "lockdown" bought us

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

etalian posted:

It's hilarious how in typical US fashion everything is in such half rear end fashion.

American institutional rot is almost total

I don't see a revitalization in the future unless we get some sort of total social or political revolution

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The protests are literally the only place I've been to in the past three months where people reliably wear masks lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tonight at the restaurant has been mega slow and last night was slower than usual, even taking in account reduced capacity and business ever since we reopened.

I've been here a couple years now and I can't remember the last time we had a Saturday with only 2 interior tables as of 5:45.

Everyone is mystified. It's either people are scared if the protests or the novelty of going back out is wearing off vs. the threat of covid. I'm probably going to be sent off work early tonight as there just isn't anything to do.

Gonna rule watching Congress refuse to bail out people even as there isn't actually any more work to do and Bernie's unemployment benefits (which I never loving got) ends!!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

nurses are absolutely just dumb as poo poo. i used to tutor chemistry for pre-med/nursing program students and i remember one was like 'why do i need to know the difference between an acid and a base? just give me the answer here i dont need to know that"

so you had stupid students. does that make nurses stupid?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wamsutta posted:

I don’t get how you’re supposed to workout and breathe with a mask on

It makes you more powerful, fool. Have you never seen DBZ?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tempting fate

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ardennes posted:

I guess the question is beyond incubation time, why there seems to be a month lag between openings and new cases? I assume they are just sitting on cases for a week or two.

It's not an on/off switch, after reopening there's a lot of people coming out of lockdown who are clean of the plague, and fewer people wandering around carrying COVID. Gotta have a few cycles of infect-incubate-communicate before it starts flourishing again

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

jettisonedstuff posted:

There was some chart from a month ago that showed most patients being admitted to ICU about 11 days after symptoms started, and deaths typically occurred about 19 days after the onset of symptoms. If you add the average of 5 days of incubation you're looking at just over 2 weeks to see the spike in hospitalizations and 3 1/2 weeks to see an increase in deaths (which we probably won't see, because they're going to classify a lot of them as blood clots, heart attacks and pneumonia or whatever other thing they're going to write instead of complications from COVID-19).

well that's what I meant by the comment about the on/off switch: you aren't going to see instant communication on day 1 of reopening. the petri dish got nuked, it takes time for the culture to regrow

for people to spread COVID they have to have it in the first place. it sounds tautological, but if you're coming out of lockdown you presumably don't have it, so you have to go somewhere to get it, and I would say the vast majority of people aren't getting it day 1, a tiny bit fewer on day 2, a less tiny bit fewer on day 3, and so on.

then you take in account that the servants are sanitizing a lot more surfaces than they were before, and that mask usage has gone up, and that a lot of people are still staying at home despite the reopening... the "spike" will take a lot longer to play out and is going to be a lot less dramatic in many places that aren't completely defiantly stupid like Texas

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Burn Zone posted:

what's this chart?

judging from the Y-axis I'm guessing it's r0 of virus spread

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Reported for not being infectious disease experts while posting in this thread.

:confused: what is it then?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sushi The Kid posted:

Hair chat.

Last haircut and shave was Feb 2019. My hair is down to the middle of my back. I can pull my bangs down below my chin. Shame that I will have to cut it soon. Swamp rear end MS weather and long hair do not mix.

just pull it up in a topknot or something if you don't like the idea of cutting it, that'll keep it off your face/body and should be bearable in the summer heat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Or just take your clippers and shave it all off

are you illiterate?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

remember how america had two months to prepare after china began locking everything down and... didn't

now the rest of america had three months to prepare after NYC began locking everything down and... didn't

fractal stupidity

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nexous posted:

As a resident of AZ I would just like to say what in the gently caress, we are all doomed. No masks anywhere, everything’s open, friends and family shaming us for still locking down. New cases by day graph is a hockey stick. Contemplating moving to another state to escape hellworld. Thanks for listening.

Every state except Hawaii is like this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Things didn't look that bad, after all.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is one of the upside of working in food service. We're ALL wearing masks. Well, except the customers...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

what is the best guess for the immunity period

not long enough

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zil posted:

Remember reading they are not sure, but best guess is 2-3 months. :smith:

if this is true and if covid goes endemic then the rest of our lives we'll be catching this plague 1-2x/year until it finally kills us

it's so beautiful I might shed a tear

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nocturtle posted:

It occurs to me that there must be a least one billionaire receiving regular plasma transfusions from a rotating set of covid-19 survivors carefully screened for a strong antibody response and lack of existing infection. There's at least one.

peter thiel

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

40% fatality lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tonight we get 420,000 deaths

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

hifi posted:

the who says don't use elastic material for masks because you stretch it and the holes in the material get bigger. and synthetics seem sorta lovely for filtering aside from the obvious nonwoven crap designed to actually be a facemask. maybe because there's not any lint in them (personal hypothesis)

it doesn't matter. we have a millions-strong fleet of mouthbreathing morons spraying covid everywhere.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In Training posted:

I liked when people were highlighting the congressional stock sell off and trying to spin it as insider trading and I'm like did anybody google coronavirus before March 1st.

it's still insider trading

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol the same day that the Dow drops 6.9%

We live in a simulation that's actively loving with us

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/JudgeRayJones/status/1271418157274664962
https://twitter.com/JudgeRayJones/status/1271431141053128706

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dustcat posted:

what the hell is a critical coin shortage

where are the coins going

guessing: people aren't using coins anymore because cash spreads covid, so circulation has dried up, which means whatever is using coins (?? vending?) suddenly has a shortage and has to source it somewhere

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In Training posted:

what could possibly be the reasoning for this.

my grocery banned reusable bags because apparently they spread covid? but I'm happy to bag my own groceries so it's not like I'm exposing the baggers to it :shrug:

I just switched to paper bags, I use them to hold my recycling anyway

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we had someone come into the restaurant tonight with their own bottle of sanitizer and a ragcloth. she wiped down the entire table and all the seats before sitting her family down. (we sanitize the gently caress out of these tables in between customers, but whatever).

she wasn't wearing a mask. none of her family were

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Der Meister posted:

how can they eat with a mask op

you remove it while eating then put it back on after you're done.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

does anyone actually do this?

Serious question. Patio dining only is open here and I'm not going anywhere near a restaurant to actually sit down and eat, but when I drive by patios I never see anyone with masks except for servers.

I do but I'm already accustomed to wearing the mask all the time :shrug:

I also avoid talking to people and try to avoid people talking to me while I have my mask off. I used to eat at the bar all the time after work but now I eat at one of the booths in the corner as far away from people as I can manage. I have zero faith that this is going to work though given where I work, I'll get this stupid virus sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

So people aren't wearing masks coming and going from the restaurant? I'm confused.

Here in Sendai, where there hasn't been a recorded case in like six weeks, almost everyone is still wearing masks whole going anywhere.

from my experience working at the restaurant for the past three weeks, roughly 1 in 200 sit-down customers come into the restaurant wearing a mask

1 in 2, 1 in 3 takeout customers are wearing a mask