Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

MadJackal posted:

If anyone can find a journal article / CDC guideline on recommendations for or against vaccination after a COVID infection, I’d appreciate it.

The CDC’s website, AFP, and UpToDate don’t cover that scenario so far as I’ve read so far.

You bringing that up because of all the various nurses and doctors sharing their recent experiences after getting the vaccines? I've heard of the same thing too through the vineyard.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

snake and bake posted:

Ban horny

(edit: WARNING: GROSS NSFW GENITAL PICS in this spoilered link that didn't load for me when I originally looked at it on mobile, sorry!) COVID‐19‐related acute genital ulcers

Oh wow, that explains lot. My roommate was so frustrated that he went out and got a prostitute back in summer when we were having that surge in cases. He said it was alright since he wore a mask and he only got a blow job. Few days later he was complaining about how she gave her something since his dick was covered with those white bumps. He got tested for various STD tests and it all came back negative. A week or so later, those stuff went away.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Wasn't it just for supply chain reasons when they were worried hospital workers wouldn't have masks? Iirc it was never that masks were bad just that regular people shouldn't be hoarding whole cases of them

Which is kind of whole stupid. The entire system never managed to get enough PPE to hospital workers in the past 10 months. Last night, one of our hospital ran out of hand sanitizers.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ugh, I hate the wording on this. His house wasn't vandalized.

It's just his constitutes reaching out to their representatives on their grievances.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I don't give a gently caress if it's real or fake. All I want to know is WHERE THE gently caress IS OUR MONEY?!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Can someone smarter than I explain MIS-C to me?
Just copying and pasting what I found: body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs. Children with MIS-C may have a fever and various symptoms, including abdominal (gut) pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes, or feeling extra tired.

How is that any different from Covid-19 in adult? Is there any actual reason why it is unique, because it looks like it's a excuse to exclude children from Covid statistics.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mystes posted:

Isn't it something that some children develop as a result of covid?

Ah so MIS-C is long covid hauler in children? Got it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Acelerion posted:

So apparently HEB pharmacy is handling like all of Texas. This is the first positive development I've seen in weeks.

Hahaha oh poo poo. That's probably the only good news to come out in a long rear end time since living in Texas.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Yeah nah Buc-ee has completely went down the drain ever since Covid hit. They've encouraged all of the anti mask craze all over the state. I literally have not seen an single place that requires you to wear a mask in it.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I'm hoping she will be okay.

That is something that seems to be common among those who already gotten Covid-19 and got over it, then got their vaccine shots.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Okay, that's pretty loving bizarre. There's now some funny tiktok videos of people trying not to touch their faces.
Are we seriously repeating the year?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Wait a minute.

UK/SA variant has merged into USA variant?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The children hospital here are already starting to bring in adult patients to help manage the overflow at the other hospitals.
It's going to be fun seeing what happens next when the parents find out that there's no room for their kids!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenmomd/status/1348246562011373570

Cool, Now there is a variant out there that straight up has both the UK and SA mutation

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Green Nail Polish posted:

Did we hit the peak for hospitalizations? Been watching the tracking project like a hawk and we didn't have any jumps in the Tues/Weds hospital numbers for the first time in a long time.

https://twitter.com/COVID19Tracking/status/1349513797195624450

No big jumps from Xmas and NYE in that hospital data, just a steady climb. Disease continues to baffle me.

If we did peak in hospitalizations, deaths won't peak for another two or three weeks so it looks like a lot more pain ahead. I feel like this is about as high as its gonna get for hospital numbers though.

Kinda get the feeling that hospitals numbers aren't going to jump up because it's the same reason as why testing cases doesn't. We're hitting our maximum capacity

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Stunt_enby posted:

taintrunner abandoned his ideals to literally marry a millionaire but still speaks class warfare rhetoric

In other word, you're calling him a class traitor? Interesting. Out of curiosity, how much do you make off your passive income?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gripweed posted:

What's the deal with mass graves? I remember back in March news stories about cities opening mass graves, but now there's way more deaths than there were back then. Did those mass graves go unused until we hit the second wave, are they opening new mass graves but nobody is reporting on it, did it turn out that the standard grave system was equipped to handle the influx of corpses, what's the deal?

They learnt not to dig mass graves near where people live so they can take photos of it.

It's a big country and we got all those refrigerated trucks that can easily move couples of miles full of bodies.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

If the average American weighs 75kg and is as dense as water, the average American can be liquefied to 75 liters. That's about 24 billion liters of American total. That's about how much volume of petroleum the US consumes in 10 days. The corpse handling of all things was never going to be the problem.

I'm kinda sure that despite all the efforts, we still haven't invented an engine that runs on blood.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Gripweed posted:

are you suggesting that there are secret hidden rural mass graves the government isn't telling us about?

Yeah. They probably just toss in all the dead folks in the same place where they bury undocumented folks that died in those ICE concentration camps.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Blitter posted:

I'm not sure how you think that linking a graph is a win, but whatever.

Obviously in the US if you don't have money, you don't have good healthcare. If you're an american and not white, you probably are getting hosed, yes, in terms of education, opportunity, wage, hiring, and income.

That certainly is because of systemic racism but the infection rates and subsequent deaths are almost certainly due to demographics with low income and having no alternative but higher risk jobs/lives. That this effects people of colour much more, is of course tragic and shows how income/opportunity disparity in the US just kills people, all the time and COVID is just one of the many ways.

It's not because of a loving conspiracy within healthcare to kill the non-white.

Systemic racism is not a conspiracy? :thunk:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

MadJackal posted:

By all means, let's start posting data without any context or analysis.

Turns out it's pretty stressful to be black in America. Who woulda thunk that?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

On the upside, competent international cooperation can slow this fucker enough in three months you need just the masks and competent tracing to keep it from shutting down anything but bars and nightclubs and large non-distanced events.

How many corpses will it take to get that cooperation?

More than 2 millions at least lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

if he manages to get 100 million vaccinations in 100 days maybe it won’t be so bad

We already got 40 million vaccinations doses distributed, so he only has to come up with 60 millions doses to keep his promise.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

But if this was true, the money would mostly go to poor people.

It's probably the best way to get to "herd immunity". Isn't that still their strategy they're aiming for?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

If this is true, it seems really dumb. Considering we would expect a continued production and even a ramp up, why in the world would you set half the production aside immediately?

Because you can make a killing on the black market.
It's easy to move products if you remove half of them off the books.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Speaking of SinoVac 50% efficacy, weren't they doing the majority of their trials in Brazil?

You know... where they're having the SA variant, the mutations that allows the virus to evade the antibodies?

I don't think that the mRNA vaccines are going to be able to do well against that mutations either.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I know this is anecdotal but I'm starting to believe that Covid-19 does change your personality after infection.

I have a friend who has been quaranting ever since April, she didn't do anything for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's eve. Her uncle passed away in August and she was appalled at her family for having an in-person funeral. She usually post on social media about how reckless people are for going out on non-essential activities and all that.

Last week she was forced in her landlord office to renew her lease (I have to see you sign it myself!) And she was pretty upset about it but she took every possible precautions and just blazed in and signed the lease without even reading it.

This week it's like a switch was flipped and she's now been going out of the house, asking friends to get together to catch up, posting on social media about how people just need to stop living in fear. She even refused to take a covid test because in her word "I feel fine, I'm not sick!" Even after she posted her taking covid tests twice (she had allergies) and was telling people how easy and simple taking a test was.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I find it kinda depressing that America could actually just vaccinate themselves out of this poo poo.
No lessons will be learned from all of this, everything will be memory holed in a short span of time.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hilarious story from this morning that was passed on to me from a family member. His workplace contracted out cleaning to comply with the CDC guidelines. Basically going around with sanitizing wipes around the place. There's this contractor who only wears a gaiter and not even covering his nose with that. He's the type who loves to chat up strangers by getting close to your face.
Today, it seems that he just got terminated because they caught him smoking outside next to the entryway to a stairwells. They had a strict no smoking on property policy since they are concerned about second hand smoke.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Helith posted:

Why would a vaccine be so ineffective in a particular age group but still be ok for younger ages? What would be going on biologically to cause that?

Even your immune system isn't able to defeat the march of time.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Next week? I distinctly remembered yesterday a news report that they were going to release it this week.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Well you got a choice here.

Either go ahead and call out sick and risk losing your job.

Or go ahead and show up for work and escalate it with management. Demand that you get in a meeting with your manager and HR and maybe even the uppers ones. Make your own superspreader event among the bosses

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Ahahaha with the virus just gaining the same mutation all over the place that helps it become more infectious and antibodies resistant, we're living in a Plague Inc game aren't we?

They're just saving up the DNA points to really crank up the lethality in the end

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Well, I suppose that I ought to get some more food to hoard so I don't have to go out for the next couple months.

Here's my bean stash so far

Not visible is the bags of lentils and rices behind the containers of flour on the bottom.

I managed to nab a chest freezer on the cheap back in April. There was a guy with loads of appliances on the sidewalk (something about him being in the restaurant supply business?) Amd he was worried about having a lockdown so he was putting a fire sale.

It's all full of various frozen vegetables and fruits, along with some frozen pizzas for those time I want to cheat a little bit.

Anything else that I ought to stock up on before things get worse?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

In Training posted:

what is this about changing Covid testing?

Basically the WHO recommended that they reduce the PCR cycle from 40 down to 30.

So we'll likely see people with light viral load and asymptomatic cases start showing as negative instead of positive.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

Like this is never going away, are people itt going to just bunker hermit forever

Hell yeah!

I'm just waiting for the right time to start salvaging houses once everything collapses.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

It seems really weird to me that people here treat socializing as this cringey boomer thing no one wants to actually do

It is. You have to be polite and civil with the teeming masses of idiots. Have you ever had someone come up to you trying to sell you Herbalife, and you can't just tell them to gently caress off otherwise everyone else is going to tsk tsk you?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Well, everyone was fine with having their grandma dying off. After all they were old and it's close to their time.
With kids starting to dying more maybe that would actually make the public take Covid-19 more seriously?

... LMAO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao what the gently caress. I forgot today was a Sunday (the date all starts to blend together) and stopped by a grocery store.

It's all packed and full of people. I got a goggle and a elastomeric respirator so that doesn't bother me. Everyone I see in the store is piling up their carts with sodas, beers, and brisket. The entire chip aisle is bare.

Everybody's all getting ready for a rocking Superbowl party!