Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

dude called it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/CarlosGSmith/status/1281698188890705922

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

does anyone have a tweet/news article to the 70k number?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i lived in socal most of my life... i technically can drive to disneyland in 15 minutes from my parents place, ignoring how long the lines used to be to get in before they created those external parking lots of shuttles into the park, and how confusing they've made it now...

there are people like this indeed. i knew people in high school who paid the yearly pass just so they could chill out in disneyland... up until downtown disney opened.

don't get me wrong, my family wasn't exactly rich so going to disneyland was amazing. i think we got to go once a year in the summer, and being the summer meant at most you got to go on 3 rides + see the parade at the end of the night... but by the time i hit high school... not sure why it was so exciting for people. last time i went was about 3 years ago as a work outing and while it was pretty fun... i would imagine doing this for a week or so would get boring real quick.

what i'm trying to say is these people are psychos.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/rzhongnotes/status/1281996520796106753

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

you know, i knew conceptually there was the one in florida but i lived in california for a long time so the irvine one was the one i was mentally picturing this entire time

now "the disney in florida is open" has actually clicked and i'm lolling even more hysterically than i was previously

my man, irvine is two cities over from disneyland.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1282143919917223936

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

incoherent posted:

Its all one suburban sprawl tbh. I was going to also correct him but knew he's conceptually correct.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i was only ever in socal for blizzcon and conflated irvine with anaheim, please don't call out my failing aging goon synapses

my bad was trying to be more of a groaning response than anger

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

they limited how much butter and beef you could buy in WW2!
people today would be going around sticking butter up their butts or something as a show of strength and their refusal to give up their butter.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

spatula posted:

Did twitter embeds stop working for everyone else? Now I have to click every twitter link and spend even more time rotting my brain with this thread content, I enjoy it cause I'm a sick gently caress but I wanna be more time efficient.

Can't believe Disney reopened lol
you are probably blocking twitter via ublock or privacy badger. i remember that happening to me.. also their redesign of embeded tweets loads way more slowly.

also:
https://twitter.com/nicolesjchung/status/1282361716202971136

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

if this is true, modern society is effectively over

lol

no. it'll just simply mean the people who can't develop antibodies...simply die. that's all..

(looks nonchalantly at chart of millions and millions dead globally)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

tbh i've kinda assumed this was the case the whole time? i remember reinfection news coming out of japan quite early on (feb?), but only for a case or three, and i feel like it was mostly glossed over especially as people realized how long covid can hide in nerves and whatnot. p sure there was also reports of reinfection in china. but being incapable of positive thoughts, i've just assumed that reinfection was the case, and found it odd everyone assumed the best case rather than worst case

one of the epidemiologists in south korea that got a lot of coverage said it was most likely not reinfection, but just them not being able to detect it in the patient's system even though they still had it. maybe this report is something new that's happened with the virus.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/1282405318761287681

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Xaris posted:

the melt

i've eaten at the melt. it wasn't bad but goddamn expensive. i think zipcar had some deal with them so i went in one time. it's yeah.. not something that demands you go back.

Xaris posted:

We'll have to see what happens in our lovely covid hellworld, but food trucks here in the bay area made a big loving splash circa 2009-2013 and were actually very interesting, then just absolutely poo poo the bed hard for a lot of the reason they became interesting in the first place: i.e. costs slowly rose to same price as eating in and many times more expensive (sans tip); food quality dropped with some of them turning into chain-food trucks losing that passion and drive and becoming just kinda lovely quality food; the innovation they had over regular B&M stores dried up and a lot of B&M stores started offering similar food and updating menus but just better. But big one is they were no longer good bang-for-the-buck deals and yet you're still eating outside in the loving wind and cold while standing around in a tiny little cardboard container with a flimsy plastic fork

A lot of them later tried opening B&M locations and just flopped over. The big food-truck event organizer, Off The Grid,evened up downsizing and pivotting to weird private event poo poo and all the big open public events/regularl truck congregations were all-but-entirely-dead even pre-pandemic when "times were good". I could write a lot of words about the food truck poo poo but its probably not very interesting. Maybe it was a different experience in other cities/metros?

with dine-in being dead, maybe food trucks will make more sense but there's a lot of problems with them. I think take-out does the job just as well, if not even more convenient.

most of the food trucks mainly just park around soma now, or some other place that has a lot of daytime traffic. when i use to work in an office there was one across the street and 2-3 other ones that either ran daily or skipped days. some of the food was pretty good, others were okay, i mostly ate there cause it was convenient and supported some local businesses.. off the grid still works that food truck area on 9th street i think near the costco... but yeah they kinda disappeared real quick.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Xaris posted:

that's sort of the rub is bay area requires a lot of overhead (rent, food/delivery/supplies premium, taxes/fees, etc) so like yeah they probably can't sling $3-5 grilled cheeses no matter the quality despite that's the price that would be attractive enough writ-large for a big customer base; but it can't, so for $8-$10+tax it better be god drat mind blowing with crack inside of it because I can get a burrito the size of my forearm for that price (albeit, increasingly not anymore). yet grilled cheeses are not an inspiring eat-out-food because its so easy to make even the laziest hamburger helper chefs can do it, and it just ain't that mindblowing so :rip: to that terrible business

im not really ever around soma but I suppose that makes sense, yeah there's still a couple of em like senor sisig and curry-up-now or chairman bao still kicking, but not really many and it's been sort of the same stagnant 3 chain-trucks these days. a lot of the innovation and differing stuff and just weird and rando trucks have all evaporated and pretty much all the events in other cities are mostly gone. we used to have a really fantastic neighborhood-esque OtG thing back in 2011 that had a lot of families and stuff coming and hanging out on the grassy median and having like 20+ options to choose from, all of which pretty cheap at the time. that one closed up due to pressure from local businesses to shut it down after about 6-months and attempts at other locations never worked out and they just kept flopping. kinda same thing in other cities-- whole shebang and zeitgesit has been kinda gone now for about 4 years now
yeah there is a place on 2nd called the american grilled cheese kitchen... prices are up there but the grilled cheese is pretty good.

there was actually a very small shop that sold what (to me) was taiwanese comfort food that i wish i knew what happened to (i'm guessing they closed down due to covid but they showed up less and less even before).. also one of the more popular trucks, 808 poke moved to fresno due to covid-19. there are still some good ones. OTG still operates the Presidio Food Truck Place... at least from 3 years ago.

anyways, what i'm trying to say is... i wish everyone had just sheltered-in 3 months ago.. we would have been done with all this. now i can't eat at any food trucks and most of them will probably close down before this is over.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

lol we are loving over our allies. cool country U.S.A!

https://twitter.com/akuhnNPRnews/status/1282604110341001216

edit: in case its not clear, that's okinawa and south korea bases where marines have covid-19

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

Can't y'all just make a grilled cheese at home? Buy special bread, cheese, butter, etc. Get some green onions in there or what ever. It will take like 6 minutes to make total on a griddle. How the gently caress y'all payin 20 bucks for a loving grilled cheese that would take $2 in materials and less than ten minutes to make
nobody is paying $20

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1282744335323336706

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so i am working from home, relatively healthy and have decent savings.. at the moment it's more stress dealing with work more than anything else. i consider myself very lucky.

but i can also flee to taiwan if i really wanted to... and the only real thing is my immediately family (mom, dad, siblings, nieces, nephews) all live here in California. It is a bit tempting to go but if something were to happen to my parents, i'm not sure if i'd make it back in time.

but drat i see my other relatives in taiwan all having fun. wearing masks, eating indoors, going to stores where they have someone near the door squiring hand sanitizer as you pass in. and the food. fuucccccccck.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCjm1wspGqW/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCmscyuIqcZ/

quote:

To our amazing fans and customers,

We had planned to run a 'Buy One, Gift One' offer later this week to continue our initiative and help share some joy in a time where we all need it most. Due to the developing COVID-19 situation across Australia, Krispy Kreme Australia has made the decision to postpone our 'Buy One Gift One' offer to a later date.

We hope to provide an update on this offer in the near future.

the comments are a trash fire as well, "where can we go if there's no krispy kreme near me?"

anyways as for my travel to taiwan. i'm pretty sure my relatives will question why i'm there and just left my parents to die in california. maybe i can convince my parents

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

are there japanese chuds?

japan is a very conservative country that hides its xenophobia and traditionalist ways behind being extremely polite and lots of cartoons showing young girls panties.

the toilets in the subways are extremely immaculate though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

believe me it's not worth reading, just some rich rear end in a top hat talking about how we need to open er up and how unemployment is too generous

eh, if you read it there's more progression of his opinion as the pandemic continues. he never mentions unemployment at all.

there's talk about businesses being unable to pay workers to stay home for more than 2 months. i agree with him on that. most mom/pops can't pay their workers for not working. the government should do it.

i think anyone who saw the post should read the entirety of it. obviously he's really rich and most people ITT won't view him as sympathetic or anything. i certainly don't. but i think its worth a read even if you think his opinions are wrong.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/PatFitzgerald23/status/1280217058677084160

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mummy Xzibit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3PSISAZL8

The party activist bros have a new cause.

i used to live in OC and i used to go to huntington beach a lot. i still have friends who go there.

generally the place is very chill, at least when i used to hang around there in the early 2000s. its definitely a foxnews bullshit type of thing. not that you wouldn't experience shittyness like they did regardless, just not at the frequency they experienced in a day.

honestly more scared for my parents watching this.

edit:
dude: but does wearing a mask shut down the country?
maskless rando: when you close down half the economy, yeah! :smug:

god drat our entire country is just hosed.

Strong Sauce has issued a correction as of 09:55 on Jul 15, 2020

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

why are there 600+ posts in ~7 hours. this thread going 100mph is stressing me out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh cool, got confirmation that iowa is covering up the death toll.

A local nursing home is completely infected with covid to the point they have separate floors for the infected and not infected residents. They make infected nurses work with the infected residents. We know one of the infected nurses and she says they have had 7 people die the last 2 weeks of covid and it is not being reported lmao

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1283535838572425222

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i feel like he needs a medical procedure.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

oxsnard posted:

yeah India is really scary

wow this is pretty racist. mods???

Gio posted:

[img-horny]
MODS?????!!!

Rah! posted:

way more riders on BART today than last week. Most were masked but there were multiple people on all train cars without them :rip:

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1283496896724697089

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

quote:

Donald didn’t drag his feet in December 2019, in January, in
February, in March because of his narcissism; he did it
because of his fear of appearing weak or failing to project the
message that everything was “great,” “beautiful,” and “perfect.”
The irony is that his failure to face the truth has inevitably led
to massive failure anyway. In this case, the lives of potentially
hundreds of thousands of people will be lost and the economy
of the richest country in history may well be destroyed. Donald
will acknowledge none of this, moving the goalposts to hide the
evidence and convincing himself in the process that he’s done
a better job than anybody else could have if only a few
hundred thousand die instead of 2 million.

quote:

Why did it take so long for Donald to act? Why didn’t he take
the novel coronavirus seriously? In part because, like my
grandfather, he has no imagination. The pandemic didn’t
immediately have to do with him, and managing the crisis in
every moment doesn’t help him promote his preferred narrative
that no one has ever done a better job than he has.

quote:

As the pandemic moved into its third, then fourth month, and
the death toll continued its rise into the tens of thousands, the
press started to comment on Donald’s lack of empathy for
those who have died and the families they leave behind. The
simple fact is that Donald is fundamentally incapable of
acknowledging the suffering of others. Telling the stories of
those we’ve lost would bore him. Acknowledging the victims of
COVID-19 would be to associate himself with their weakness, a
trait his father taught him to despise. Donald can no more
advocate for the sick and dying than he could put himself
between his father and Freddy. Perhaps most crucially, for
Donald there is no value in empathy, no tangible upside to
caring for other people. David Corn wrote, “Everything is
transactional for this poor broken human being. Everything.” It
is an epic tragedy of parental failure that my uncle does not
understand that he or anybody else has intrinsic worth.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MorrisBae posted:

Has the whole book leaked yet

it's already out. sold 950K copies in its first day
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1283798966212206592

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/exposed-son-man-fights-covid-191258861.html

quote:

MIAMI (AP) — For weeks, Michelle Zymet pleaded with her stepson to avoid going out with friends and to always wear a mask.

“It’s just not the time,” the Florida woman says she told him, begging him to think about his dad, who is at a higher risk of severe COVID-19 illness because he is overweight and diabetic.

One evening in early June, the young man went out against her wishes, gathered with friends and removed his mask while eating and drinking. Days later, he felt cold symptoms and a friend at the get-together told him she had tested positive for the new coronavirus. By then, it already had taken hold in the young man's household.

The man's father, John Place, 42, is now fighting the virus at a hospital's intensive care unit.

quote:

The young man, who did not want to talk to the media, had told his father and stepmother that he initially thought he had a common cold and took over-the-counter medication. When he heard about his friend testing positive for the new coronavirus, he still didn't think he had it.

But members of the family started to fall ill one by one, starting with his 14-year-old brother, who is also overweight and was wheezing, coughing and lethargic.

The 6-year-old sister had only a runny nose. The stepmother was achy, with a fever and chills. They all tested positive, but only Place, the father, required hospitalization after four days of fever and nonstop coughing. He has now been in the hospital for nearly three weeks.

quote:

Zymet said she has been called an “awful mother,” and an “evil witch” for placing the blame on the stepson, but she said she thought it was important to share her family's story amid a surge of infections first detected among young people.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Trump's approval rating is at the same low as when he shut down the government... it only stopped free falling once he caved and signed the funding bill. There's nothing like that to stop this now. He's just going to be like, "My approvals are great" while people die from this, become bankrupt from it, or kicked out of their homes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wow the guy who probably murdered his neighbor and is completely crazy reneged on a bet i'm very surprised.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm watching the FoxNews interview... it is indeed a brain melt. including this great picture where wallace asks trump if its appropriate for someone in his administration to retweet something like this [about dr fauci]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Seriously I can't find anything corroborating that Netherlands number. Source?

https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/number-of-covid-19-infections-is-increasing

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

as someone from taiwan... ahem..
TAIWAN #1

that being said, once china realized it couldn't loving hide it anymore.. at the very least it began making arrangements to make sure as few citizens died as could be expected at that point. a _REALLY_ bad thing for a government to be doing that late in the game but at least they reversed course fully.

but all that fuckery just pales in comparison to the US. who has decided that doing nothing is the better option. it is loving laughable that anyone in the US is blaming WHO/china for any of this considering trump never budged from his position even after he knew the virus existed. all that fuckery at the US airports at the very beginning of the outbreak just proved no one here was ready for it, certainly not trump.

SARS killed 73 taiwanese citizens in 2003 and the government found that to be unacceptable and initiated a huge program to make sure something like that never happened again. 73 people was 0.0003% of taiwan's population back then. covid has already killed 0.04% of the US population and there are people willing to accept that number as long as it allows them to sit down at an applebees...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

this is so loving stupid. they violated health regulations in two counties so two dumb people could get married and divorced within the year.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Grundulum posted:

just lmao if you think these travel restrictions will be applied to anyone whose net worth requires eight or more figures to write

Horseshoe theory posted:

They have Golden Passports, so they'll be allowed to flee - hth.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/americans-denied-entry-sardinia-italy/index.html

quote:

Five Americans who flew by private jet to the Mediterranean island of Sardinia were refused entry to Italy on Wednesday due to new EU travel restrictions on countries with high coronavirus infection rates, police told CNN.
The private jet -- which took off from Colorado with 11 would-be holidaymakers on board -- arrived in Cagliari airport on Wednesday morning, according to the Cagliari Police spokesperson.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200703/treated-like-criminals-italian-police-turn-away-american-tourists-arriving-by-private-jet

quote:

"We were treated as if we were criminals, it's not fair," Federica Fanari, a passenger who hails from Sardinia but lives in Germany, told local news site Casteddu Online.

not about wealth, its about power. any schmuck can get the money.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

sorry to be off-topic in the pizza thread.

https://twitter.com/gatamchun/status/1287608080763629568

the source of her info is in the reply, a north-korean defector journalist, she generally tweets translations for overwatch related tweets (such as korean players tweeting) so her translation of it should be pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Pump Jockey posted:

Has anyone had to have a delivery/service worker come into their home during the pandemic, and if so how did you handle it? Our stove is 100% busted despite our best attempts at fixing it, and we can’t wait until there’s a vaccine in 2022 or whatever to replace it, so we’re kind of stuck doing it now. Picking it up from the store ourselves is also unfeasible for a number of reasons.

The big box store doing the delivery claims that the delivery person will wear masks/gloves and stay the magical 6 feet away (Lol) from household residents at all times. But is there anything else I should be doing to mitigate risk?

wear a mask and some eye protection. invite him into the kitchen and let him drop it off. sign off on the paper work and let him leave. washing your hands thoroughly with soap afterwards. if possible i would give him any instructions about where you want it dropped off outside instead of when he's in the kitchen.

if you feel you need to be extra paranoid, don't let anyone into the kitchen for a bit and ventilate the kitchen by opening as many windows as possible.

also if you feel the need, whomever deals with the delivery person should try to minimize interaction with the rest of the family for at least two weeks. i don't think this is necessary even if you are a bit paranoid, but if someone in your home is immuno-compromised then on the slim chance you get infected then at least you'll be isolated.

if you're both wearing masks and there's very little talking i think you'll be okay in general. wash your hands.

edit: DON'T KISS THE DELIVERY PERSON!!!