Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

starkebn posted:

My guess is, even if Trump really does have the roni, they've caught it so early in the disease that he'll get the best "known to science that it actually helps" treatment and will get through this pretty easily.

or he would have recovered fine but the experimental treatment kills him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're my parents so their social life is basically nil in normal times, and they really want to see their grandkids. They'll work from home and do grocery delivery which removes 90% of their usual social contact.

Edit: we'd potentially leave the kids overnight.

you’re looking for some sort of validation here and the truth is it is an unnecessary risk with potentially terrible consequences

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

you know, you'd think it'd be common sense to not piss off the people whose job it is to keep you alive, but no

but I suppose if they were capable of acting like tolerable human beings, they wouldn't need bodyguards :rolleyes:

who gives a poo poo, secret service are cops

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

doesn’t that kind of treatment mean he isn’t immune from getting it again?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Just had a boomer customer come in with her mother in tow. The old lady has a walker and **an oxygen tank**.

WHY ARE YOU HERE???

I work at the post office and in the lunch room I watched two people without masks, one of them on oxygen cough repeatedly into their hands and then eating fried chicken

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

why is it lower in the states with higher population density

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

IAMKOREA posted:

in my industry (chemical engineering) process safety is a big deal. one of the things we are constantly on guard against is 'normalization of deviation' - in other words, things that tend to go BOOM and release a bunch of toxic chemicals usually work fine for months and months or years and years until... they don't. you hear this all the time when you interview operators - 'me: does this level indicator not work?' 'operator: oh, it's never worked, we just guesstimate when the tank is full.' 'operator: oh the hot oil tank is full of holes and rain gets in so we gotta drain it every day' 'me: the hot oil tank is full of holes!?' poo poo like that.

when the pandemic first started we took all these precautions and now things are basically back to normal at the office, no masks and frequent in person meetings. just pensively waiting for our own explosion in cases.

I’m at the postal processing plant and all of my supervisors stand right next to each other and pull down their masks to talk to each other. all my coworkers will cough into their hand or into the air in the lunchroom. we didn’t even have a mask requirement until JULY, and half my coworkers leave their nose out. I have to check behind me every time a supervisor wants to speak to me because I’m going to spend the entire time walking backwards while they get closer.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

so oregon is doing better than most of the country, but if six social gatherings a month are something to strive for then we are hosed

https://twitter.com/OHAOregon/status/1324825122486644736

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

shovelbum posted:

i wasnt have 6 hangouts a month pre covid jfc

I guess now we know what “listen to scientists” means

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Who the gently caress is going to three social gatherings every two weeks on average pre pandemic?

it’s not exactly a social gathering but I had season tickets for hockey and most weeks had two or three games

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I’m not particularly social, but if the world is ever normal again I’m going to go out every night of the week the way that people who were in the Great Depression do poo poo like wash and reuse tinfoil.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

fischtick posted:

It's been a while since I looked... Oregon was doing so well early on! Then summer hit and we collectively lost our minds. The last few days, the number has been a fantastic example of how poorly we understand the exponential function. 200, 400, then 800 cases a day just in the last two weeks.

Last week, the Gov raised the number to open 'er up (where 'er is school) from 15/100,000 to 99/100,000. I got a little worried, because that's a big leap, but I'm pretty sure we won't be hitting either number in 2021.

hey at least our own health authority is telling us it’s fine to go out six times a month

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the whl, a league that employs unpaid children is planning to open in two months, and they have said multiple times that they won’t have a season unless they can have fans in the building

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

We are hosed. If we can't pay people to stay home and lockdown this is just going to keep spiraling out of control.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

Put on my half-piece respirator and went on a walk around my neighborhood to the entrance of a hidden trailhead that I inexplicably call Kitty Road to pay respects to my beloved cat who passed one year ago today. Sprinkled some cat treats and walked home.

Encountered 14 people (3 of them kids) and 1 mask, and didn't give a single gently caress because of my respirator. Then I got home and got angry because number go up.

did you have goggles too?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

they wouldn't be using mail sorting machines for vaccine crates

i think most people would be surprised at just how much mail is processed by hand

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

shovelbum posted:

I feel like the good factory headlights now mean there's less ridiculous aftermarkets on the road

okay but do you drive a passenger car? every single truck will shine their lights directly at your eyes whether or not they have their high beams on

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

my wife has astigmatism so driving at night is hell for her

https://twitter.com/UnusualFacts6/status/1109996250273902592?s=19

drat had no idea that was from astigmatism, that’s what it always looks like for me

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

yeah if you feel comfortable and safe driving you probably are going five under in the left lane

i just drive as if at any moment every single car on the road might merge into my lane without signaling

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

gonna own when the us has more cases than the rest of the world combined cumulatively

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

okay but how long until the us is beating all other countries combined

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Chamale posted:

I definitely see the point that masks are being used as a magic amulet that protects against infection, and an excuse to otherwise OPEN ER UP. Like here in Alberta, where they discourage inviting over anyone with a mask, and instead recommend going to bars, restaurants, shows, and sporting events.

lmao when the whl starts back up again in two months

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my workplace has loud machines so everyone gets real close and pulls down their mask while screaming droplets everywhere, they also walk directly down the middle of eight foot wide hallways and cough directly into their hands in the lunchroom if they bother to cover it at all

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Louisgod posted:

what's even better is that there are still tons of people that wear their masks but don't cover their nose, or somehow still think faceshields are acceptable as if the virus just magically doesn't go under the loving shield.

my work recently required people to go to district reasonable accommodation committee if they want to wear face shields but the obvious accommodation of not having them work with other people

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

we don’t even get one marshmallow lmao

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

portland has had an eviction moratorium since march which ends at the end of this year, when payment for those nine months is due and evictions will happen again, it’s going to be an enormous disaster whether or not they renew it

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

at this point my coworkers are actively gaslighting me, i see them and tell them to put on a mask, they refuse, then I find a supervisor and by the time the supervisor gets there they have it on

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

We've been hand-washing them in the past, the problem is drying. we live in a 1-bedroom apartment and it's not easy to air-dry stuff! The only easy place to hang stuff is in the shower, but it's absurdly humid in the bathroom so you can leave stuff hanging for 24hrs and it will barely dry.

i got some linen masks and they dry fast even though it’s super humid where i live

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

a 33-year-old died in oregon yesterday

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

watch out people are dying the day before they get tested now

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

also when idiots like gwyneth paltrow do the I’m going to eat healthy on a dollar a day they do it with 30 dollars at the beginning of the month instead of figuring out how to eat every day with a dollar

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

percussive maintenance is undefeated

because even if it doesn't work, at least you got even

it’s wild to explain to someone under 25 that you could hit a tv not working right and it would actually fix it sometimes

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oregon’s Restaurant association sued the state so they reopened outdoor dining lol

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

fischtick posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1331718466202726409

On the one hand, yes, let's open 'er up a couple days after the largest spreader event(s) in the world. What could possibly go wrong?

On the other hand, there are like 25 counties that aren't opening up, and those are more or less the 25 counties with people in them.

Either way, enjoy your 100 person religious events next week, rural Oregonians! That's fun to say, "ruragonian." Haha. Hahahaha. HahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAH.

the restaurant association sued them so they buckled immediately

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

we have been in a wartime economy for 20 years

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

These were two different groups of people

maybe a month or two ago but people are over it now

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

its not funny

if you haven’t been jokerfied yet you won’t survive the biden administration

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Presser right now. 29% of everyone involved in mink production here has tested positive. :coronatoot:

what percentage were actually tested?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

is it a possibility that we will have yearly covids like we have yearly flus?

is that on the table?

this is like asking posters here if they have seasonal depression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003