Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

saving for guessing game if we have one

I do not have the energy to do this again as I am now entering the cool zone. Thank u to everyone that participated in the last round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I think we're back in the period from January and February where this thread advocated buying beans and the rest of the world ignored things.

But this time we know to also buy masks, hand sanatizer, and toilet paper for the second wave

February: beans, sanitizer, bidet, seeds, nitrile gloves, etc...
June: beans, gun, gas mask, plate armor, umbrella, laser, etc...

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

actionjackson posted:

lol this chart is poo poo

a 50% confidence interval? :laffo: that is literally never used, it's always at least 90%. I've been a biostatistician for 13 years.

A 50% confidence interval is basically a coinflip as to whether it's in the range in question. loving useless

Wait till you hear about the confidence intervals the IPCC uses for the 1.5 and 2C targets lol.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Austin's previous daily new cases record was 88. Yesterday 118. Today 161. Open er up!!!!!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

what is the best guess for the immunity period

longer the more severe your case is :)

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Cael posted:

Me yesterday: I really should start exercising again, I've been lax the past few weeks. Just begin a new body weight routine or something simple
Me today: gently caress it, gonna be buy a few 6 packs who cares it's all over

get swole for the August rent riots, comrade.

the /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine on reddit is really, really good.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Austin has decided to join the covid zone. 3 day case spike 1 day hospitalization spike.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Squizzle posted:

amazing pacing. just as the protests slow down a bit, rona comes back w the foreshadowed surge

June/July is going to be like April/May with the gain knob turned up. Then August...

:getin: :coolzone:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

COVID-420 posted:

The destruction of public health institutions is going to have ramifications way beyond Covid. The CDC is actually gone. That's a wild thing to think about.

We also shock doctrine'd away the last 50 years of EPA and FDA regulations so, really, what could go wrong?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I liked when people were highlighting the congressional stock sell off and trying to spin it as insider trading and I'm like did anybody google coronavirus before March 1st.

The only weird part was that it took that long for the market to react. It was obvious covid was going global by mid February.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

the soft targets like prisons, skilled nursing facilities, heavy industry plants, etc... have mostly already had their surge. imo this batch of new cases is much more diffuse and less centrally clustered. It's not going to burn itself out soon like the first round.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

5 days since I attended a mass gathering and no covid yet. Starting to think it's all a hoax. Open er up!!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Next week will be fun as a handful of states realize they have opened pandora's box and nothing they do will close it back up.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

We're about to see a cluster of places all burn through this as bad or worse than NYC did.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

SC currently with a positive rate of 14.4% on tests too holy poo poo.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

IHME's projection for SC:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

StormDrain posted:

You guys I just heard someone at my work has covid, I thought the pandemic was over???

The pandemic's over. It's an endemic now.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

lol Austin

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I predict excuses and dawdling next week and more lockdowns the week after.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I think a lot of what is occurring is not just incubation times (which is part of it), but a systematic lag in the data coupled with under testing.

Infected to symptomatic -> symptomatic to test -> test result is going to be like a 10 day lag. We're just now seeing the spikes from memorial day. poo poo is about to get wild.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

eke out posted:

Florida:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1271837143984492544

here's my crude rendition of the last three days' numbers relative to columbia's default 5% projection

HahhahahhahahhahahahhHHahHahHAhahahahaha give me death

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

On the bright side, this will all be over soon!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

just realized “I can’t breathe” works equally well for both big issues in 2020

Also climate change and pollution too. It's the mantra if the 21st century.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

love all the people justifying their internal desire to OPEN ER UP by saying that friends/relatives are making them do it

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

the first one of my friends has caught the rona. they are an ESSENTIAL WORKER (chef). don't forget to patronize your local dining establishment!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Mr. Pizza posted:

isn't daily new cases still a pretty bad lagging indicator?

~5 days to symptom onset
~1 day to get tested
~4 days for test results

So about a 10 day lagging indicator.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

If you catch covid now you may get intubated before they run out of ICU space, so silver linings!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

anime was right posted:

they couldnt poison zoomers with lead so they chose the next best thing

CO2

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I was thinking today what my criteria was for "it's ok to go to a bar" and "it's ok to not wear a mask in the grocery store" etc etc and I couldn't come up with a good metric. The best I could do is < 5% state positive test rate, 14 day running average state decline, state Rt < 1. That doesn't seem good enough but idk what's better.

What's y'alls?

When I'm vaccinated

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Masks gently caress up the surveillance state and we've been given carte blanche to wear them under the guise of public health. Seize that opportunity and never let go.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

number sure is pretty big today for being a weekend!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

shirunei posted:

Ended up saying F it and went to the gym tonight. I work in a call center with 800 people less than 1% of whom wear masks. Might as well kill some stress because I'm screwed either way. What kills me is we had the entirety of the site working from home until the head manager got pissy about attendance and yanked everyone back. This loving country man.

the Gains Goblin..... is you

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

You should have to do 10 pistol squats and a planche push-up before you're allowed in a gym imho. If you can't you don't actually need the barbell that badly.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

My gym is going outdoor only and I am seriously considering not going back once I finish my course if personal training to make me strong enough to be functional.

I'm sorry but I just can't exercise at home. My house is now meant to be my office, entertainment center and gym. And because I recently moved, never had to do DIY stuff because my parents always did it for me and my place is smaller, I live in a hellscape full of boxes and floor planks. It's like being in house arrest in a slum.

EDIT: You Americans should also be grateful your houses are so big. Try quarantining in a 65 m2 apartment.

[jordan peterson voice]: clean your room

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Ok, so what do you guys do exercise wise? Are you all on Freethletics and following vegan channels on YouTube while working in your home offices? I can't do ANY of that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

I can manage to do it in an 80 m^2 apartment I share with my spouse and 2 cats and we both have offices set up. I'm sure you can manage it too!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

snoo posted:

I think pretty much every testing site in my state is a drive-thru one, which isn't helpful if you don't have a car

Use Lyft code COV19 to get 20% off your ride to a testing facility

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/nataliexdean/status/1271973142462939136

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

take a loving walk, god, it's a pretty bog standard virus and not a goon-seeking hunter-killer. literally tens of thousands of people are out there protesting and the number of covid infections is like, what, barely double digits from it?

The protests may turn out to be super spreader events. They have all the important ingredients beside being indoors. It will take another week before we start seeing impact from them.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I go outside for walks during weekdays midday wearing a kn95 and out for runs at around midnight with no mask. I've had enough time to decide that outdoor risk is minimal if I just veer away from the occasional person. You're not at risk if you just cross through someone's slipstream.

Going to the grocery store is way riskier. Fortunately I got in on a local farmer coop delivery service before they closed up subscriptions in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what were the doomsday predictions from just going full 'herd immunity' approach again? like i seem to recall dire warnings about total collapse of the healthcare system, what else was there?

2 million corpses in the US