Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

do ya'll remember that greasy weirdo GAYS FOR TRUMP guy

well he got a job as a professional disease vector lmao

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/1276954288191934465

https://twitter.com/ScottPresler/status/1277206641499353088

~*~ superspreader ~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Garcetti is really stupid and reflexively thinks of these numbers as smaller because the denominator is smaller

If we could just get the denominator down to zero, we could defeat this pesky virus!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like I don't understand some basic things about LA. Was it always such a "gently caress you I won't do it you tell me" kind of place?

It suddenly became so in 1987, something emanating out of Compton.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CODChimera posted:

imagine if the virus just disappears and trump was right

Through my big brain understanding of consensus reality I know that if everyone would agree with Trump, it would fade away. It's the stubborn people who continue to talk about the virus, to fret about its effects, to worry about its spread, those who give it power by saying its name; they are truly to blame here.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

If you'd just stop and think about it for ONE loving SECOND you'd realize that not being able to smell or taste would be the ideal time to go to an Applebees.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i made an effortpost about :gizz: elsewhere, and i feel the need to share this knowledge with CSPAM as well.

I've been keeping an eye out for any news on fertility related side effects of our little buddy cv19. The notional idea is that covid19 is stored in the balls - where it fucks poo poo up and we've got this Children of Men subplot slowly building in the background. I'm hoping like hell this isn't true, because at this point it appears as if we are definitely going endemic in the US if spiking states refuse to respond. I think a thumbs up or down on this theory would have significant impact on how this plays out in the long term. Imagine a world that the only people who are still fertile are those who made it for the two years without getting infected until they could get a vaccine. Basically, what I'm saying is by staying at home I'm saving myself for the breeding pools in 2023. :parrot:

Here is some good reading tho.

March 16th, not a reputable rag and not reputable sources necessarily, but enough to go "hosed up if true" and caught my eye early on.
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/16/WS5e6ed7eea31012821727f4b1.html
Male patients should have reproductive tests after beating new virus

quote:

Chinese scientists have advised male patients who have recovered from novel coronavirus pneumonia and are planning to have a child to undergo medical tests on their reproductive system.

The virus can theoretically target testicular cells, leading to infertility or hormone disorders, though clinical evidence for that claim is still needed.
&

quote:

"They are all cells vital to human reproduction and men's health," he said. "If the virus can indeed attack these cells, then sperm count and activity, as well as testosterone levels in the body, would decrease, leading to various reproductive and other issues."

However, Li stressed that there is so far no clinical evidence that the novel coronavirus can damage testicular cells or impair fertility, nor have scientists discovered the virus in male patients' semen.

March 31st, ow my balls, virus edition!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7138186/
Abdominal and testicular pain: An atypical presentation of COVID-19

quote:

The outbreak of a novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has been of concern to health care workers (HCW's) in the emergency department (ED) due to potential exposure and transmission. This case report describes a man who was referred to the ED for abdominal and testicular pain who was subsequently found to test positive for COVID-19. Due to the lack of respiratory symptoms, proper protective equipment (PPE) was not donned, and it led to several patients and health care workers being exposed. Given recent new descriptions of patients who present atypically, full PPE for all patients may be considered as community spread increases.

Apr 20th, new theory: cv19 was engineered by china to fix their gender imbalance and age imbalance in one go by killing the olds and feminizing the boys
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41585-020-0319-7
The need for urogenital tract monitoring in COVID-19

quote:

Viruses such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, mumps, Epstein–Barr and papilloma can cause viral orchitis and even lead to male infertility and testicular tumours6. One study in testis autopsy specimens obtained from six patients who died of SARS-CoV showed that this virus can induce orchitis6. Pathological results showed spermatogenic cell apoptosis, germ cell destruction, few or no spermatozoa in the seminiferous epithelium, thickened basement membrane and leukocyte infiltration in all six specimens. Thus, the testes could be affected by SARS-CoV-2. A recent study provides insights into impaired male gonadal function on SARS-CoV-2 infection2. This study showed that the testosterone to luteinizing hormone (T to LH) ratio in 81 patients with COVID-19 was dramatically decreased in comparison with 100 age-matched healthy counterparts (patients with COVID-19: 0.74; healthy men: 1.31, P < 0.0001). Serum T to LH ratio (as a predictor of male gonadal function) could be a potential marker of impairment of reproductive health by SARS-CoV-2 (ref.2).

Apr 21st, very much "here is a possible path we should look into" and NOT "this is happening"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7171435/
Does COVID-19 affect male fertility?

quote:

There is a theoretical possibility of testicular damage and subsequent infertility following COVID-19 infection. The possibility of testicular damage is caused by either direct viral invasion through binding of SARS-COV2 virus to ACE2 receptors or secondary to immunological and inflammatory response. Follow-up studies of reproductive function of recovered male patients is required to investigate this possibility.

May 7th, now there is evidence of coronacum?
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2765654?mod=article_inline
Clinical Characteristics and Results of Semen Tests Among Men With Coronavirus Disease 2019

quote:

Results
Among 50 patients identified, 12 patients were unable to provide a semen specimen because of erectile dysfunction, being in a comatose state, or dying prior to recruitment; therefore, a total of 38 patients were enrolled for semen testing. Of these 38 participants who provided a semen specimen, 23 participants (60.5%) had achieved clinical recovery and 15 participants (39.5%) were at the acute stage of infection. Results of semen testing found that 6 patients (15.8%) had results positive for SARS-CoV-2, including 4 of 15 patients (26.7%) who were at the acute stage of infection and 2 of 23 patients (8.7%) who were recovering, which is particularly noteworthy. But there was no significant difference between negative and positive test results for patients by age, urogenital disease history, days since onset, days since hospitalization, or days since clinical recovery. The clinical characteristics of patients with positive test results for SARS-CoV-2 in semen are shown in the Table.
:yooge: if true

Jun 22, I don't know what a seminiferous tubular injury is but I don't think I want one thank you very much.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/research/coronavirus/publication/32563676
Pathological Findings in the Testes of COVID-19 Patients: Clinical Implications.

quote:

CONCLUSIONS: Testes from COVID-19 patients exhibited significant seminiferous tubular injury, reduced Leydig cells, and mild lymphocytic inflammation. We found no evidence of SARS-CoV-2 virus in the testes in the majority (90%) of the cases by RT-PCR, and in none by electron microscopy. These findings can provide evidence-based guidance for sperm donation and inform management strategies to mitigate the risk of testicular injury during the COVID-19 disease course. PATIENT SUMMARY: We examined the testes of deceased COVID-19 patients. We found significant damage to the testicular parenchyma. However, virus was not detected in testes in the majority of cases.

Basically, we don't know enough yet but if you plot a trajectory of the news here it's clearly headed straight into we're all gonna die land; in this case, it's by slowly going extinct as our reproduction rate drops.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

They interview an older couple whose 35 year old daughter died last week and now they are both in the covid ward and then end the piece with "they are begging for help, before this gets out of hand" and I'm thinking - you're basically there lady!

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 01:37 on Jul 9, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

i feel like reality is actively gaslighting me

I'm reading about 62,000 cases, deaths, mass evictions, collapse of small businesses, 7-day-moving-average rising daily, sports leagues trying to open up and immediately getting plague, whatever

then I drive to work, home from work, and literally no one cares and they actively shrug and go "who cares? not my problem" and the president is going "I DEMAND we open back up!!" and

welcome to hypernormalisation

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Thoguh posted:

That's why I think the only way it hits people hard enough is if they start up and then players start dropping out because they're sick. Not just positive tests but legitimately sick. Not that I wish that on any of them but I think that's the type of thing that would have to happen for America to take notice and change course.

I'm waiting for (first) cadre of people getting sick after visiting DisneyWorld. The gnashing of teeth that'll happen when they realize that biology doesn't care about best intentions, security theater, or what they want to do and they were indeed risking death to go to a theme park instead of just postponing the trip.

Or you know, nothing like that will happen and instead everything will be fine.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

snoo posted:

why is EVERYTHING so STUPID

The simple issue is this doesn't happen enough to keep the population of stupids down. It's like pests and a mild winter, gotta have a good hard freeze occasionally to clean out the ol' gene pool.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

oxsnard posted:

once your brain becomes entirely smooth what happens after when you get another incremental crack ping

Imagine four smooth brains on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the brain nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of brains and takes the place of the first brain . The formerly first brain becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Crack pinging works the same way.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

i aim to have my photo stuck on the wall of a crossdimensional cosmic diner under a banner of THESE PEOPLE ATE THEIR WEIGHT 🍄

that sounds like you are looking for macrodosing, totally different thing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

my brain keeps backing away when I try to comprehend the utter break from reality required for the conservative mindset at this point. Huge swaths of people arguing that it doesnt even exist as it melts hundreds of thousands of peoples internal organs. Ive had some success with people on other fairly intransigent topics like Israel/Palestine and abortion but this is a whole new level. The virus itself doesnt have an ideology but somehow conservatives have created one for it.

I think I am just gonna smoke a bowl and go take a walk. gently caress it

It's more like climate denial, just claiming all the change is cool and good and we can just ignore it and go back to business as usual. This is moving fast enough it's harder to deny, but not fast enough it's totally undeniable tho.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

The best pizza place in town is closed temporarily because one of their employees got the roni :(

'roni is my favorite kind of pizza :smith:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I remember watching videos of folks just keeling over from aneurysms (supposedly) thanks to CV19 early on in China, Iran, and a video from Japan. I was surprised to not see more of that in the states, but there aren't many places going out of there way to discover if someone has CV19 in the states - if it looks like a run of the mill aneurysm i doubt they would run a test for an average Joe. Maybe we'll get test results for him though, it would be interesting.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

grant built the energizer bunny used in those 90s commercials

he just keeps going, and going, and going....

:smith:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

these videos were from lack of oxygen, not aneurysms, I thought

well, that makes sense because i do remember them wearing masks....

:eng99:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Dolphin posted:

i have so far not suffered a relapse or reinfection or whatever. i do however piss the bed sometimes now. i did before too but i can't help but think the covid might be related to my most recent spate of bed pissings.

maybe? does the piss taste different now?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

oxsnard posted:

I'm currently trying to explain to the CFO of a medium sized manufacturer why you can't divide current deaths by current cases in the middle of an exponential increase in daily new cases to get an accurate death rates

lol

I've had similar experiences talking about exponential growth mixed with trailing indicators with coworkers who should have known better (engineers, heh). I wonder sometimes what i would think if it wasn't for following this thread and news (through the lens of this thread) since the beginning.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
On Mondays and Tuesdays I have online school, on Wednesday I go to school for an in class day to see my friends and catch the roni, and then its back home again for more online classes Thursday and Friday. Inoculation day is my favorite day of the week, I really miss my friends.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

what the gently caress

his name is A Buttery Pastry you have to believe him.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Both the things people are willing to die for and the things people refuse to do to save their lives and protect the health of those around them blows my mind. Regardless of the pandemic, I feel like America is doomed from terminal stupidity.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

this is fine :shepface:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

this is fine :shepface:

Fine, and actually 'fake'.

https://twitter.com/Gurtubay1/status/1271597947722108928

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Kagon posted:

My university had a faculty meeting a few days back where they informed us of a new policy they're wanting to implement in the fall. This is apparently being considered at a number of other universities as well. They want everyone teaching to nominate a replacement instructor in case we get sick/die of COVID who will take over the class. These replacements would have to be ready to instantly take over the class at a moment's notice and be prepared to be continuing the course in person if that's how the class was originally structured. People started immediately asking about compensation (there won't be any, though if you have to take over the class for rest of the semester, they may talk about providing something) and moving in person classes online (not unless all in person classes are cancelled). It was amazing watching most of the faculty crack ping in real time at once. lmao my university is going to kill half the faculty since so many are so old

One out of two gets a class. The one without follows him! When the one with the class gets killed, the one who is following picks up the class and teaches!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

is it just a rebranded bcg vaccine? im gonna be so pissed!!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

wfh is only an option for one of us (which is why she's still working and i'm at home also so i can make sure the kids don't die and they occasionally read a book or draw a picture instead of look at tv all day).

we finally had a discussion about "what if i just don't go back to work for a couple of years?" and it went okay.

congratulations on your recent domestication.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

fun fact i actually met the guy who currently runs the chinese egg monopoly

he was an 80 year old billionaire who was utterly convinced i was steve buscemi's son and i still dont know if that was an own or not

capitalism is bad because that guy has a monopoly on eggs. the ccp is good because this guy has a monopoly on eggs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

capitalism is bad because that guy has a monopoly on eggs. the ccp is good because this guy has a monopoly on eggs.

meanwhile im just like give me some eggs already

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I'm really glad I adhered to the strictest pandemic protocols so I could watch everyone around me turn my efforts into a pile of worthless poo poo. I hate everything lmfao if donald trump wins in november I'm going to move into the woods and die in 2 years to a preventable dental disease lol

i strongly identify with this post from 10 pages ago

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

If Joe Biden wins I'm going to move into the woods and die of preventable dental disease in 3 years.

this one too

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

I know you're trying to get a rise out of me, but that's actually not a bad idea.

I like the "Oh, working at the high school again? That's great, I'm glad. BTW, is your will in order? I'd really like to make sure we've made final arrangements......" tactic. Make them engage with their risk taking head-on by forcing them to consider mitigating actions.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
right to... die try?

EDIT:
VV EEEEEY IM POSTIN OVER HERE

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Do it ironically posted:

just read that the Sturgis bike rally is now responsible for 250,000 cases of covid and had a hearty laugh, stay safe american friends

gently caress you! I refuse to be safe! /jumps on harley sans helmet, drives drunk to teh biker bar

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Stereotype posted:

You must return to school so that we can lock you in a room and forget to feed you. This service will cost you $30k.

Everyone should be proud of us because at first we thought we would be infecting and possibly killing 75% of our students, but now we are guessing that we will only do it to 25%.

Food, housing, and school seemed like a ripoff in the best of times. It seems like an awfully good time to take a gap year tbqh.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

fosborb posted:

lol are they doing that 10 minutes at a given time thing?

when an epidemiologist clarified to our school board that 1) it's just an easy to understand guideline for occupancy/proximity risk levels and 2) it should be counted cumulatively throughout the day

, there was stunned silence

fosborb posted:

I'm pretty sure the entire schoolboard memory holed the epidemiologist telling them, don't spend any money on "deep cleaning" surfaces; for gods sake it's a respiratory virus, use that money to buy everyone masks!

I've always known the average person was a fuckin' dolt, but watching people trying to deal with this pandemic has been eye opening. Poor planning, unreasonable expectations, and purposeful murderous ignorance at every level in are dumb country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKcl4-tcuo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm basically expecting my 75+ year old parents/in laws to be dead by 2021. All of them have health issues already.

Don't worry friend, the virus will fade away by the end of *looks nervously at calendar* ....October? and all will be well and this will just be a memory. Trust the plan!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Pead posted:

Theres a lot of talk about UGA proudly reporting their terrible numbers, but Georgia State recently reported they had a total of 3 cases. They seem to be glossing over the 100+ cases reported right before they opened and the 40+ cases in the athletics department, including their incoming freshman qb who had to bow out of the season with myocarditis. Weird

holy lol
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29703982/georgia-state-qb-mikele-colasurdo-diagnosed-heart-condition-linked-covid-19

quote:

Georgia State quarterback Mikele Colasurdo has been diagnosed with a heart condition as a result of contracting the coronavirus and won't be able to play football this season, he announced Thursday.

The freshman and former three-star prospect from South Carolina arrived on campus in the spring.

totally looking forward to all of the :krad: totally-not-coronavirus-related cardiovascular deaths over the next 5 years.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
there is a gosh darned cheerleader in the whitehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Testing positive As fast as possible and getting school canceled as fast as possible is the greatest sacrifice an American child can make and will save hundreds of classmates and teachers. Godspeed terrible children

It's a race between college students partying and getting sick fast enough to still qualify for refunds on tuition for this waste of a school year before the deadline passes and the administrators win. If I recall correctly, this was basically the plot of Animal House, thankfully sans some old timey sexual harassment of course.