Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lol going back to work tomorrow for the first time in 2 months and I can't loving sleep dude I'm legit terrified gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

theflyingexecutive posted:

can you wear a mask and will monaural of your coworkers?

I can wear a mask, but not all co-workers will. And I had to google monoaural and idgi friend

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol “most of”*

imo, it seems like most outbreaks at work are tight clusters of people who aren’t wearing masks. even places with a bunch of public interaction like grocery stores aren’t experiencing wildfire clusters. the lunchroom is probably the most dangerous area, p easily fixed by eating outside/in your car. get your coworkers to keep pressure on management to enforce distancing and disinfecting and your risks become negligible.

My closest co worker will be a non mask wearer MOST of the time, so if I keep alot of distance I think I can navigate the rest. 98% of the rest of the facility is wearing masks on the floor, and yes I can take breaks and eat in my car.

I will be wearing a mask literally all of the time, and I'm going to try and track down a real n95 at work if I can. I'm being moved into an office for now because I made a stink, so that's a bit of a relief (open floor plan 12' away from non mask wearers). Really really wish my coworker would wear a mask but he's a knucklehead. I'm going to try at least asking him to pull his bandana up if he needs to talk to me or when we do a two man job.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sigh I'm nervous

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

good luck friends, trying to keep my anxiety in check while I get ready for work right now, gently caress

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Are surgical masks objectively better than double ply cotton if the fit is equal?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

The fit is not necessarily equal though. I favor a thin surgical mask that flexes/bends around your nose to a cotton mask that hangs loosely.

I have a custom cotton mask with a channel that allows me to use a thick length of bailing wire for the nose strip.

Just got into the office and being in my own office really makes me feel safer. I did grab a legit 3m 8211 (outflow valve and gasket on the inside), which I will wear around non mask wearers because gently caress you. Haven't venture out onto the production floor yet, though. Feels very business as usual though

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

They actually banned employees from using the exhalation valve masks at the healthcare system I work at. They do a good job of protecting the wearer, but by their design will do nothing to stop the wearer from spreading to others, which is a concern if you're potentially asymptomatic/presymptomatic but still contagious.

Totally understand, I will only use it in the event that I'm around one other person who refuses to wear a mask.

Few hours into work and I actually feel much more comfortable than I expected, which is weird.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Give it to me, the bcg that is

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

BeefThief posted:

im glad that with the riots cooling down somewhat i could come back to my ancestral home, the roni thread, and get caught up. got those beans, ready for wave 2 of roni followed by wave 2 of riots.

its wednesday

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

It depends. A double ply cotton mask can be superior to surgical masks if it is high threadcount cotton.

https://newsroom.wakehealth.edu/News-Releases/2020/04/Testing-Shows-Type-of-Cloth-Used-in-Homemade-Masks-Makes-a-Difference

If you didn't buy the fabric yourself and don't know what kind of cotton it is you can tell by holding it up to a bright light (preferably just one layer of fabric). Light shines through the 'holes' in the weave. If you see a thousand points of bright light that's bad, if you see few or none that's good.

Good info, I can see quite a few bright points so I'll switch to the surgical for now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Well now I don't feel very good about working at a production facility wearing a mask so that's cool, see you all in hell. At least I'll be able to post from the covid ward in between saying my goodbyes to family via video chat

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

do all kn95s have these semi transparent areas like where the serial number is??? It's freaking me out dude

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sunny Side Up posted:

CDC still updating numbers from last week.

U may be surprised to learn---number go up.

Pog

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How are regular flu deaths looking

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

haha remember covid? i love going int o the office now that were opened her up, its definitely not pointless and im definitely not doing the same work i could be doing from home

im literally crying

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

BeefThief posted:

How are people actually catching the virus? Would be nice to see some data around the known vectors of transmission, and what percentage of infections came from unknown sources. Shouldn't be that loving hard but the dumbest people in the world seem to be in charge everywhere.

in more ways than one, op, more ways than one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Lol ng and cops can spend billions on gear but not ppe

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How do I get a job remote computer touching so that I don't have to be a remote computer toucher from within this office I'm remote computer touching in right now please help me

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

??? Lmfao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Chad vaccine vs virgin virus

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

so should I get into the pop-up and portable glory hole business?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Used up all my vacation and sick time at work, boss said they were going to lay me off so I could claim unemployment because I still didn't feel safe going to work.

I had a bad case of pneumonia when I was younger that got me sent to the hospital for almost two weeks. It was hell.

I feel like I made the right decision, but I'm also worried that if I go back later everyone is gonna see me as quitter or something.

be prepared to have no job to come back to

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

KaptainKrunk posted:

just lol if you haven't made peace with the possibility of you and your whole family getting it and dying already

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

facetoucher cat posted:

I can't afford it and my "doctor" called and is saying shingles now but it's totally not. She said go to urgent care but that would cost me more than the ER or me being seen in her office. She just doesn't want to deal with anything that isn't covid. I just slept all day and once I got up my husband didn't even check on me and just went to bed, before I went to bed he told me to "calm down" because I was so sick and sad I was being disregarded again by everyone

I don't even want to be alive anymore, I just want to check out, I'm done

:(

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I don't even know why I read this thread now that I'm back at work with some non mask wearers what's the loving point

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I ordered 4 noish n95s for $60 so I guess I'm just gonna cycle through them throughout the week and pray or something whatever I don't know

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I'm going to buy some paper bags to store my n95s in the hot outdoor shed while I cycle through them lol haha gently caress

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

wonder if moisture effects it, so mask which have huge amount of breathing going through it persist longer than say fomites on your jeans

yeah this makes sense

So I guess the question is the reduced protection from a cotton mask due to filtration worth the trade-off in comparison to an n95? Or maybe a single layer cotton mask over an n95?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Also it makes me curious about these, I have some on the way: https://n95maskco.com/collections/n95-masks/products/respokare-niosh-n95-respirator-mask-4-pack

They claim that their outer layer traps and absorbs droplets and destabilizes them with an acidic coating

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Philosopher King posted:

My in laws are dragging everyone to a theme park getting that half of them are high risk. How hosed are we gonna be going to Lego Land?? And what playset should I get to honor their memory?

Don't go?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

I looked this up and its astounding they went through the effort of making the mask, getting it certified & then they just put it on a website that looks like a scam. goddamn lol

True, but it seems legit? I could be wrong but I hope they are considering I just bought 4 for 60 lol

Someone smarter than me please make a legitness assessment

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

they are legit as far as I can tell, that's what is so astounding about it. They should have hosted it directly from Innonix or w/e lol. instead they made the website like 4 months ago lmao

Yeah it's real weird. I just inquired about how long that coating poo poo remains effective, I'm really hoping to get a couple weeks out of them by doing a daily rotation while storing them in individual paper bags

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

hifi posted:

the acidic coating sounds worthless in this world where people are washing their masks and reusing them for months on end

I mean yes but what if you don't wash your paper mask and only use them for like 2 weeks lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what the gently caress just SAY NO you are old enough to have inlaws yet not old enough to tell them to gently caress off?

lmao

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Going to a theme park, non stop thinking about covid, going home and non stop thinking and waiting for symptoms to start for 2 to 3 weeks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

goon philosopher king I am curious as to how you handle conflict... with the person who has made you have inlaws

your spouse

do you roll over in the face of extreme health risks with them too

Just tell them you don't feel good then start coughing on the phone

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

snoo posted:

really sorry yall are related to a lot of people who don't understand what "no" means

My family is having a small birthday for my older brother at my parents with 6 or 7 people total and I said lol no ty even though I'm being forced to go to work in an office with people wearing masks half the time they're there. I just can't do it, I don't know man.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Tell them to eat your entire rear end and then you'll maybe consider letting them take your kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

anyone setup their CDC recommended gloryhole yet?