Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm finally really starting to get into this game. I like how when a run starts going south you really feel a mad scramble like a wild animal. It's like you're being eaten by the dungeon and becoming part of it instead of fighting your way above it. I also love the feeling of turning the tables on an ambush, a bunch of adventurers ambushed me and I blinked out of there, went back to their room and turned off all the lights and got them one by one in the dark. I'd turn my lantern back on right before going after one, it made me feel like Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drat, I made it to level 4 for the first time and got killed by a bugbear of all things. Thankfully there was an update waiting for me in the afterlife!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Do all of them? I feel like I've never aggroed elephants, dogs or other recruitable animals

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I find stealth really useful for getting out of tight spots personally. A couple of games ago on level 4 all of my companions were horrifically murdered one by one by a group of bugbears and adventurers. I slipped out back to the Carillo portal on the level above where I rerecruited some followers I left there and returned for revenge. Enemies with lanterns are very tense to me in this game because they're usually stronger than enemies without which is some nice signposting I think. I'm one of the gamers who hasn't gotten past level 5 but I'm comfortable with the difficulty I think, when I die it's always because I got too cocky or impatient and if I had been more sensible I would have pulled through. That's a really tough balance to find in a roguelike and it's something I really enjoy about this game!

I feel like my only issue with the game is that mobility and mind are definitely the most valuable stats since skill points and perks are super valuable and the majority of skills are governed by mobility. A high body means you can kill stuff faster but even with a 10-12 body you can kill stuff reliably so it's usually the stat I use least. Consequently races that have mobility or mind penalties are less attractive because they'll effectively advance slower for the same amount experience gain. Of course people seem to have no trouble with these races on the leaderboards so perhaps I have a lot to learn still.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

zorbus posted:

The previous versions were way too easy.

Here's r46:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus_r46.zip

That's always the last thing a roguelike dev says before their game becomes bad