Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
glad to see that the dual-wield spear dream is still alive

I will also say that right now giant spiders are pretty annoying, and casters that repeatedly summon spiders and cast web are incredibly obnoxious as a melee focused character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

zorbus posted:

There will probably be a new version out next weekend, so if anyone has anything that needs fixing, tuning or clarifying, now would be a good time for comments.
acid cloud spell is really loving overpowered and I waltzed all over every enemy in the game with it

the titan guy with elemental fists in the zorbus seems ridiculously tanky. may be the point but he in particular is kinda nuts
it would be nice to be able to melee while webbed, right now if you're not a caster character getting the skill for firing at close range just so that you can do something while webbed is borderline mandatory
maybe wriggle could let you attack while webbed or escape webbing more easily

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have won most of my fighter runs and I don't use ranged weapons very much(past the earlygame anyways, where finishing enemies often requires it) and I never get charge. My methodology revolves around getting dual wield immediately(much easier with lone wolf) and dual wielding spears as soon as possible, which are a fantastic weapon with high damage, decent speed, boosted crits, and reach, all on top of being 1-handed.

Having the motion required to dual-wield also makes running down enemies noticeably easier.

Web still really sucks for melee characters though.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 6, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this is the dwarf build I'm using currently. might be possible to make stronger versions of this on other species but I haven't done the math.

something this does not show is that I don't spend all the skill points, I raise melee to 2 on character creation and just bank the last point, and then at level 2 I can hit melee 3 immediately.
at that point I have all the prereqs for dual wield, I just need to hit level 3 to get the talent point for it. could change the build to get it at level 2 but I don't think it's worth it.

I also already have all the prereqs at this point for improved melee criticals, health surge, and squirm, all of which I want.

e: I do also put points into ranged combat after a bit specifically to get close combat ranged, because it works with spears. and via that you can reliably melee nearby enemies with your spears while you are caught in webs/slime.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 6, 2020