Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

A Strange Aeon posted:

Does each floor of the dungeon have a finite monster population or do they respawn?

Does the player have reputation with factions so some faction monsters will be friendly?

There are some respawns (total under 10 new creatures created per level).

There's no reputation-system, but rather an emotion-system. Some creatures are hostile against the player from the start, some are neutral. Some are neutral, but get gradually hostile if you stroll around their home for too long, or try to loot the containers in their home area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

The Moon Monster posted:

Does the game have gotchas for people not very familiar with D&D? It sounds cool but I'm not really looking for another Nethack style learning curve.
No D&D background is needed. I've tried to keep everything as simple and transparent as possible. Attributes and skills are explained during character creation.

The ingame Zorbupedia explains things a little further, or if you want to see the formulas behind the stuff, check the manual. You can browse the PDF-manual without downloading the game:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.pdf

rockinsaki posted:

How does this compare to Crawl (Linley's Stone Soup, not the recent griefing simulator)? Every time I try another, I'm disappointed, and I think a lot of it may come down to quality of life improvements that have been implemented over its many, many years of open source development. I'm certainly intrigued by the intelligent denizen aspect though.
I'd say the UI is very polished.

Keybindings can be changed, there is mouse support. I've tried to assign the default keys so that you can keep your other hand on the numpad / arrows (shift + arrow to move diagonally), and the other on the left side. There are also preset keybindings for WASD + mouse or VI-keys.

You can adjust tile size, screen size, text size etc.

There is autoexplore. There is autopilot which can take you to the nearest stairs, nearest unlooted container etc.

There is level loot, which shows a list of all floor items on the level. You can filter it, select an item, and you autopilot to the item and pick it up.

I'd say the autotargeting system in the game is great, as seen in this tutorial picture:

The tutorial can be browsed here:
http://www.zorbus.net/tutorial/index.html

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

By popular demand posted:

Any chance of an android port?
I do most of my gaming on a tablet these days.
Not in the near future. The game is programmed in Pascal (not the best choice, I know), and quite tied with Windows. In theory, you could compile it to Android, but in practice these things never go smoothly.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

By popular demand posted:

Also, and you are perfectly within your rights to just tell me to gently caress off:
Any chance of opening the code up for outsiders? Experience shows that open source projects often get wider distribution and longer lifespan.
It will stay closed. I want to maintain some mystery about the game, but the biggest reason is simply that I don't want anyone to see my crappy code. I have no CS background, and this is the first game I've ever made. The code base is getting more and more complex, but fortunately all the needed features are already there. It's quite the miracle that I haven't coded myself into a corner.

However, I could work with someone with Pascal / Lazarus experience to see if a Android port is even remotely possible.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Gooch181 posted:

I'm really enjoying this but still haven't managed to make it past the second floor. Is there a way to split a stack of healing potions to give half to a follower?
Use movement keys left / right to adjust amount, then enter to give.

There is a inventory help on the right when you open your own inventory, but the "exchange items" screen was missing some of the text. It's fixed in next release.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Dualwield needs to be picked as a talent (requires Motion 14 and Melee 3). You can get the list of all talents if you uncheck the "Info / Hide unavailable" checkbox in the talents-screen. That way you can browse the requirements for talents that you can't yet access.

Also, when the menu selector is on ability / skill during character creation, the info box lists which talents require that ability / skill.

There will probably be a new version out next weekend, so if anyone has anything that needs fixing, tuning or clarifying, now would be a good time for comments.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 33 is out at http://www.zorbus.net

Huge lore update! Some of the old lore books were rewritten and many new books introduced. Massive thanks to Helical Nightmares for help.

Full changelog:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Note:
Save files are not compatible between game releases! You will lose your saved games and previously ascended characters from the save folder!
If you enable the option "Check for updates on start" from the settings, you'll be informed when a new release is available, and asked if you want to update. The check is made when the game is started.
If you install a new release manually, then it's best to remove the old folder before installing a new version.

Added a tip about web / slime to the manual and the ingame Tips & Trick book:
You can try to attack even when stuck in web or slime. A body-check is made to determine if you can struggle through
the restraining effect. The strength of map cloud effects decrease each round, making it a bit easier to get free.
Potion of mobility gives temporary immunity to restraining effects.
Use a potion of blink or the spell blink for an immediate escape.
An advanced option is to replace a cloud effect with a less harmful one, for example conjuring fire wall on a web effect.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Had to release a quick fix as release 34:

Human wizards with a possible Web-spell shouldn't be created on dungeon level 2. Fixed.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 35 is out!

Highlights:

Optional low Health warning popup dialog that blocks all commands. The dialog is visible for the configured duration or until closed with ESC, SPACE, ENTER, or left mouse click. The warning thresholds can be configured from the settings. You can set a cooldown in seconds between dialogs. You can disable the dialog when it's visible with DEL or CTRL + W. You can disable or re-enable the dialog with CTRL + W in normal game mode.

Optional Health bar / UI frame flash when low on Health. Can be configured from the settings.

When no hostile creatures are seen, companion movement speed is the same as the players.

Companions that were not near hostile creatures are regrouped around the player after autopilot / autoexplore regardless of their movement speed.

New behavior for companions: HANDLE. You can command companion to disable or force a lock / disable a trap. Target a lock or a trap with the cursor in target mode, then press companion number to command a companion, or press 0 to select the best companion for the job. There must be a clear path to the target when issuing a HANDLE command. You won't get experience points from locks or traps disabled by a companion.

Companions in FOLLOW behavior will try to disable or force a lock after your failed attempt if there's one with better Body-ability or Disable-skill nearby and neither the player or the companion sees hostile creatures. The same method (disable / force) will be used. Can be disabled from the settings.

Full changelog: http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus.txt

Demonstration of the low health warnings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKho9KuEsFA

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 36
  • Improved autoexplore: There is no need to manually walk around the dungeon to search for remaining hidden areas. Once autoexplore no longer finds anything to explore, it will check if your Search-skill is high enough to detect any of the possibly existing secret doors on the map. If something is found, autoexplore autopilots you to the found secret door. You may want to boost your Search-skill with items, potions or talents, even temporarily, for better results.
  • Type "0" as a filter in inventory / level loot lists to filter special items, unique items, devices (potions, wands, etc.). Remember that you can filter with an item type (function keys) and a keyword at the same time, so you could press F3 to filter weapons and then type "0" to filter only unique or special weapons.
  • Some difficulty finetuning.
  • Leaderboard has been reset. The old leaderboard for releases 28-35 can be found at http://wins.zorbus.net/r35.
  • You can add a timestamped comment to the journal by pressing CTRL + N. The log journal is added to obituary files.
  • Some new sound effects. Fixed some audio related bugs.
  • Added new gameplay tips to the manual and ingame tips book: dualwielding, different ways to open locks, level loot.
  • The ingame Zorbupedia now has a list of all talents in the game. You can filter Zorbupedia topics with a keyword. Zorbupedia can be opened from the game menu, during character generation and during level up.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

drat, sounds bad. Do you still have the save? Can you send it to me?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Yes, the webpage email. Send all files from the save-folder.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Sure, if you can remember any details.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

I can't reproduce it. Did you have any companions with the second character?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

I think I found something. I can reproduce the bug if all companions have not yet arrived from the teleport when the game is saved at the shop level.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 37
  • Fixed a bug where NPCs could equip a 2-h weapon after only a shield was equipped in off-hand. (thanks to KurzedMetal for reporting this)
  • Charmed creatures no longer react to player looting containers in their home. (thanks to KurzedMetal)
  • Fixed a bug where the shop level teleporter wouldn't work if the game was saved before all companions arrived at the level. (thanks to szary)
  • Changed weapon enchantment a bit: There's a chance that the weapon will be destroyed in the process if it's already enchanted with more than 3 enchantments. Every enchantment point above 3 decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points. Plusses, extra elemental damage points, holy-/returning-/vampiric-properties and on-hit effects count as enchantments.
  • When the selector is over an enchantment scroll in the inventory, the info box shows which item the scroll would target and the enchantment success chance.
  • New item: Scroll of Returning Weapon. Adds the returning-property to a weapon (thrown weapon returns to thrower's hand).
  • Small fixes and polishing done.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

WarpedLichen posted:

Does this mean that my future runs will have my character help me out in the final fights? That would be sweet.
Yes, ascended characters stay there and help you in the fights.

Just note that updating the game clears ascended characters.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 38 (13-Jul-2020)

Most of the stuff in this release is implemented after feedback, so big thanks for it!
  • Hopefully fixed a severe infinite loop bug that could happen when you looted home furniture of charmed creatures. (thanks to Horvatii and Mkok)
  • Companions no longer enter a teleporter that you just came out from. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Companions follow the player better in corridors and other tight areas. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Resting 100 rounds for Health / Stamina is interrupted when one of your companions reach full Health / Stamina. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Companions use ammunition now more intelligently. (thanks to Claudio)
  • You can give a Flask of Poison or a Flask of Slime to a companion who will then automatically use it.
  • New feature: Autoammo. When autoammo is enabled, the best ammunition against a target is automatically selected. Autoammo tries to restrain, poison, or otherwise select an ammunition that the creature is most vulnerable to. Ammunition of Dismiss or Explosion are not used, but ammunition of Slime and Poison are. Can be toggled with CTRL + Q. Can be toggled from the main game mode or from target mode. A green "AA" text is shown in the weapon set box when a ranged weapon and autoammo is active.
  • Squirm talent grants a bonus when trying to squirm through a restraining map effect (web, slime).
  • Fixed checking if a creature is on a restraining map effect when he uses reach or ranged attack.
  • AI spellcasters are not so spammy with web / poison cloud spells.
  • It is no longer possible to edit inventories of summoned celestials. (You could summon them, take their weapons and sell them at the shop, thanks to Mkok for reporting this)
  • Drow companion now has a proper dualwield talent that is listed on his character sheet. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Log viewer separates which messages belong to a given round. (thanks to Claudio)
  • Amulet of Health no longer grants immunity to poison but resistance of 2 points.
  • The miscellaneous statistics in obituary files shows the number of animated and summoned creatures.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

ZLogic posted:

My only complaint is the inability to auto-move and auto-attack using melee weapons. I see that you can do it with reach and ranged attacks, but the enemy flee AI makes chasing them down kind of a headache otherwise. Especially without a keypad.

I was previously really against auto-move/attack, but now that you mention it, it actually could be a really nice feature. I'm just thinking how to mark the target creature as a chase target. Red is currently for ranged/reach target, aqua for throw attack targets and yellow for talent targets.

If you use arrow keys to move, have you tried shift + arrows to move diagonally? I don't have a numpad myself either.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

ZLogic posted:

I would use the normal R-Attack Marked button and for melee simply have it take one step towards the closest enemy or attack if in range. If multiple are at same range, choose a random enemy and stick with it until no longer tied for closest. The same logic as in Crawl. You might not want to have the red mark visible in this case, since it would almost always be visible. If you renamed it 'Auto attack' or something like that, then it wouldn't imply that the mark would always be visible.

This sounds quite good, but there might some annoyances:
If you have a melee / throw weapon equipped, R is also used for throwing at marked target if the distance is greater than reach distance. Imagine rapidly pressing R and then throwing your spear although you didn't mean to.

I could change the binding A for autopilot to CTRL + A, and use A for approach & (melee / reach) attack.

Good point about the "Return to Main Menu", have to make it save.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

ZLogic posted:

Yea I thought about that. My preference would be assuming melee for auto-attack, and then using F if you want to throw the weapon, since melee attacks seem more common than throwing a weapon, which can only be done once per weapon. You could make F-F be equivalent to F-Enter, so that it feels almost as quick as pressing R.
There are returning throwable items in the game (that return to thrower after thrown). Even scrolls which can make any throwable item a returning item.

If there was an Auto-Approach / Auto-Attack command, it could be used no matter what weapon you're wielding, and it would only make melee or reach attacks when in range. The R command could be left as it is.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Do you remember any details? What type of creature you possessed, did it happen during the possession or after it?

Check if there's a file called "Error-log.txt" in the game folder.

zorbus fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 21, 2020

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 39 (24-Jul-2020)
  • By pressing A you automatically approach and attack nearest seen hostile creature with a melee- or a reach-weapon. You can use autoattack just for approaching so you can use it to chase down a creature or to narrow the range to it for a ranged attack, spell, etc. If no openly hostile creature is seen, a target creature is selected from those who get gradually more hostile against you. Autoattack ignores creatures in areas blocked from autopilot. Autoattack is disabled if your current Health is under 30% of max Health (the percentage can be changed from the settings).
  • The default keybinding for autopilot changed to P. Blocking autopilot areas changed to O, clear all blocks to CTRL+O. If you use the game updater, it's best to reset keybindings because of these changes.
  • If the game crashes, it tries to save the game. A crash report is created into the Crash-folder.
  • Settings: Option to disable log top add (new messages added on top of the log instead of the bottom, on by default).
  • The game is saved if you select "Return to main menu" from the game menu and the setting "Save on exit" is on (on by default).

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 40
  • New setting: Never flee. If on, creatures other than companions never flee. Some creatures, usually those using ranged attacks or spells, still try to maintain distance. Character obituary will not be sent to the leaderboard if this setting is on or turned on during a game. Off by default.
  • New setting: Death splash animation. Procedurally generated death splash animation instead of the "skull on red square" animation on creature death. Off by default. Thanks to Lagi for the idea.
  • New setting: Brighter darkvision. If on, the tiles seen with darkvision are a bit brighter, but only if your lightsource is unlit. Off by default.
  • Fixed a bug where you could auto reach attack a creature behind another creature. Other autoattack tweaks as well.
  • Buffs are listed when you inspect creatures with the target cursor. Previously only harmful effects were listed.
  • Small tweaks here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

A new gameplay video showcasing some of the special areas, ambient sound and sound effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37BrD6Wz_0