Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD IS HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE

How do you use target mode? I'm trying to get the red corners around the enemy to use R for attack marked.

But nowhere in the help or on the internet does it explain how to do anything but examine creatures with target mode.

All I can get is the solid red box around enemies. It won't stay targeted. How do I target?

EDIT: OK I see how it auto-targets for ranged. I guess I was hoping it would move towards enemies and attack in melee.

ZLogic fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

This game is pretty great. It differentiates itself well from Crawl. The sounds, npc interaction, character customization, and smart ai are a really nice touch.

My only complaint is the inability to auto-move and auto-attack using melee weapons. I see that you can do it with reach and ranged attacks, but the enemy flee AI makes chasing them down kind of a headache otherwise. Especially without a keypad.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Yes I'm using the shift+arrows, and it takes some getting used to, but combined with the flee AI it becomes frustrating. My first character was a half-troll with no ranged, and I would sit there running in circles indefinitely and never catching the enemies. It also becomes pretty hard on the fingers, especially with a compact keyboard. Right now I don't want to play any melee characters because of it.

I would use the normal R-Attack Marked button and for melee simply have it take one step towards the closest enemy or attack if in range. If multiple are at same range, choose a random enemy and stick with it until no longer tied for closest. The same logic as in Crawl. You might not want to have the red mark visible in this case, since it would almost always be visible. If you renamed it 'Auto attack' or something like that, then it wouldn't imply that the mark would always be visible.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

Also, on the esc menu, I think the "Return to Main Menu" button should warn players that they are about to delete their current character.

I lost a nice character that way, assuming it would be saved.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

zorbus posted:

If you have a melee / throw weapon equipped, R is also used for throwing at marked target if the distance is greater than reach distance. Imagine rapidly pressing R and then throwing your spear although you didn't mean to.

Yea I thought about that. My preference would be assuming melee for auto-attack, and then using F if you want to throw the weapon, since melee attacks seem more common than throwing a weapon, which can only be done once per weapon. You could make F-F be equivalent to F-Enter, so that it feels almost as quick as pressing R.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

zorbus posted:

There are returning throwable items in the game (that return to thrower after thrown). Even scrolls which can make any throwable item a returning item.

If there was an Auto-Approach / Auto-Attack command, it could be used no matter what weapon you're wielding, and it would only make melee or reach attacks when in range. The R command could be left as it is.

Oh, I didn't consider returning weapons. That sounds like a good solution.

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

My gnome was having such a good game. Finally had enough gold to buy items in the shop, found the secrets on every level, had the robe and ring of wizardry. Knew all the best spells and all the companions were fully geared badasses. Was using possession to send enemies against each other.

Then the game tells me "0 is out of array range! Shutting down" and I lose my character

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

code:
  Release 38     2020-07-20 21:10     Being 0 is out of array range! (max 449)

GAME_Main, handle_rounds ->
  GAME_AI, ai_act ->
  GAME_AI, ai_attack ->
  GAME_Combat, melee_attack ->
  GAME_Being, damage_being ->
  GAME_Being, update_being ->
  GAME_Being, is_being_ok
Turns out is_being was not ok!

It was the Duregar King's level, me and my companions were running from an ice dragon and the king back towards the stairs. No possession was active. Had some skeles up I think...

EDIT: Ah yes, I remember that I used the map to manually order my companions to travel to the stairs right before the crash happened.

ZLogic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLogic
Feb 14, 2006

This game is very good fun, good job. I like how you can realistically see enemies past the screen and how strategy and tactics are more important with advanced AI. Much more like actual D&D. I also really like the writing. Adds a nice touch of flavor, and it seems to be esoterically or mystically inspired which is interesting.

The darkness for stealth gameplay could stand to be made a little brighter just so the user can see.

Let me know if you include some kind of save recovery feature, because I'm not particularly interested in my save evaporating for a third time. It also might help you debug errors like this. Other games keep a save file that gets deleted upon a legit death. You could make it a debug option that needs to be enabled, with a file that's difficult to edit, include some kind of encryption or file authentication, nestle it in the game files, and/or make a notice that the game is not intended to be save-scummed.

ZLogic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 21, 2020