Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OgNar posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna134062

Police have offered a conflicting account of what happened Jan. 10, saying in a statement Friday that they had executed a search warrant at the correct address and that the child did not "sustain any apparent, visible injuries."

This is definitely a threat. The 'Yet' is heavily implied....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/20/us/ouray-county-colorado-newspapers-stolen/index.html

Man caught stealing newspapers from machines around town on the day an article was published about a sexual assault at the Police chiefs home.

"A Colorado man has been cited after allegedly stealing more than 200 newspapers in Ouray County after a story about a reported sexual assault at the local police chief’s house was published, according to area law enforcement and the Ouray County Plaindealer."
"The suspect is “not a member or relative of local law enforcement and not associated with the defendants in the recent reported sexual assault,” according to the Ouray County Sheriff’s Office."

The article.
"A 17-year-old girl told investigators she was raped more than once at the Ouray police chief’s home in May during a late-night party with the chief’s stepson and two other suspects. During interviews with investigators she said she screamed and fought back, while others slept upstairs."
https://www.ouraynews.com/2024/01/17/girl-rapes-occurred-chiefs-house/

012124_6
Jan 22, 2024
"Its his Property and Thanks for the Money"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Former LA County sheriff's deputy gets 18 months in prison for violating skateboarder's civil rights
https://abc7.com/la-county-deputy-prison-sentence-christopher-hernandez-18-month/14354159/

The article is a good read because the deputy is in every way, a total dickhead.

"A former Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison Tuesday for arresting a man at a Compton skate park for no reason and then filing a false report.

Christopher Hernandez, 37, who was a sheriff's deputy assigned to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Compton station, pleaded guilty in July to one count of conspiracy and agreed to cooperate in the investigation.

His former partner, ex-deputy Miguel Vega, 33, of Corona, was sentenced last month to two years in federal prison for his role in the incident. Vega previously pleaded guilty to one count of deprivation of rights under color of law."

"At that point, a third man, Jesus Alegria, identified in court documents by his initials, yelled at the deputies to stop bothering the youths. Vega then got into an argument with him, challenging the 23-year-old Alegria to a fight, according to papers filed in Los Angeles federal court."

"Prosecutors said Vega again challenged Alegria to a fight after the deputies had driven away from the park. Hernandez and Vega both allegedly "taunted" the man, suggesting they were going to set him up by dumping him in gang territory."

Feb 6, 2024

quote:

Funny Judge has issued a new ruling, read all about ittttt

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

"Both Deputy Hernandez and Sergeant Roberts were cleared of criminal wrongdoing after the shooting prompted by an acorn falling on their police car."

https://twitter.com/githii/status/1757500629239341178

https://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/IA-2023-031-Final-Report-Jackson.pdf

"On November 12, 2023, an incident involving Okaloosa County Sheriff's deputies in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, led to the resignation of Deputy Jesse Hernandez following an officer-involved shooting.

Responding to a disturbance involving Marquis Jackson, accused of grand theft auto and making threats, deputies apprehended Jackson after the victim reported his possession of firearms and a silencer.

During the ongoing investigation, Hernandez mistakenly interpreted an acorn hitting the patrol car as a gunshot, resulting in both Hernandez and Sergeant Beth Roberts discharging their weapons into the vehicle with Jackson handcuffed inside.

No injuries were reported, and subsequent investigations judged Hernandez's response as not objectively reasonable, leading to his resignation, while Roberts was exonerated."

"Sgt Beth Roberts responded quickly to Deputy Hernandez erroneously calling "shots fired" in response to an acorn dropping from a tree.

"Where? Right there?" Roberts asked before also firing at the handcuffed, unarmed man in their car.

Luckily, both cops missed every shot."

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Attempted murder for thee but not for me. Couldn't even get them on a firearm infraction or anything?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1755439325020319789
"Clearly, in Scotland, their entire model is built on every decision coming back to their code of ethics, which includes human rights. That's a foreign concept to us."
— Denver PD Deputy Chief Matt Murray, at 1m34s

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I love when he realizes he's not shot and actually fine after rolling around on the ground like an idiot and is like "uh...I feel weird"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving tactical roly poly, shoot the car, fall over sideways, shoot the car some more from the floor, imagine you've been shot...

It would be funny if he wasn't doing it with a live loving gun. It's like a loving eight year old playing army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

loving tactical roly poly, shoot the car, fall over sideways, shoot the car some more from the floor, imagine you've been shot...

It would be funny if he wasn't doing it with a live loving gun. It's like a loving eight year old playing army.

I would assume that was a comedy skit if I didn’t have context

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would assume that was a comedy skit if I didn’t have context

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
"Cop Gets 4 Years for Selling Fentanyl to Children at School, While On Duty, From His Cruiser"

quote:

MACHIAS, Maine (BDN) — In a case involving one of Maine’s worst-ever cases of police corruption, a former candidate for Washington County sheriff who worked as a police officer in eastern coastal Maine for nearly 20 years was sentenced to serve 4 years in prison on drug and gun charges.

Jeffrey Bishop, 55, originally faced 35 charges after he gave opioid pills to a teenage girl in the parking lot of a high school in Harrington. Police also found more than a dozen stolen guns at his house in Cherryfield.

In a deal with the state attorney general’s office, Bishop pleaded guilty in August to 14 felony charges ranging from drug trafficking and furnishing to stealing drugs to multiple counts of receiving stolen guns. The other 21 charges, many theft counts related to the guns, were dismissed.

Bishop arrived a few minutes early to his 8:30 sentencing and prayed in the parking lot with his family before going inside the courthouse.

During his sentencing, he told Justice Robert Mullen that he was “nervous.” Bishop had to stop a couple of times to compose himself as he addressed the judge.

“I am here today to accept what I need to do,” Bishop said. “I stand before you a very humble [and] a very broken man.”

Bishop was arrested in February 2021, less than a week after he retired from the Calais Police Department, after he was seen giving drugs to a 17-year-old girl in the parking lot of Narraguagus High School in Harrington.

The drugs, which were inside an unmarked prescription pill bottle, included 27 acetaminophen and hydrocodone pills and three baggies of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 100 times more potent than heroin, police have said.

The drugs were intended for the girl’s mother, with whom Bishop sometimes traded drugs for sex, according to Assistant Attorney General Jeff Baroody. On some occasions, Bishop had sex with the girl’s mother in his cruiser while he was on duty with the Calais Police Department, police have said.

When police executed a search warrant at Bishop’s home a few days after he gave the girl the pills, they found and seized 15 guns that had been reported stolen in Hancock and Washington counties over the previous four years.

Two of the recovered guns, both police-issued Glock pistols, were stolen in a 2016 burglary at the Gouldsboro Town Office, where Bishop was previously employed as a police officer.

Hearing lasted only a few minutes, and none of Bishop’s victims were there to witness the proceedings or address the court.

Mullen told Bishop that he felt the sentence, which had been jointly recommended by prosecutors and by Bishop’s attorney at the time, Chris Largay, was appropriate for the crimes he committed.

“I seriously don’t think you’ll be back in front of the court [ever again],” Mullen told Bishop. “I’m not worried about that.”

Despite his admission to many of the crimes, Bishop told the judge that he was not fully satisfied with the plea agreement. He also said he was “baffled” by why his background as a police officer would be a reason for giving him a comparatively longer prison term.

“Why is being a member of law enforcement an aggravating factor?” Bishop said.

Bishop had a prior criminal conviction, stemming from an incident from when ran for sheriff in 2006 and threw a political opponent’s sign in the Narraguagus River in Cherryfield.

He was convicted the next year of attempted criminal mischief and fined $100. He also was fired from his job as a sheriff’s deputy, but after months of legal wrangling between his union and the county he was given a separation agreement and $10,000 in back pay.

He then left law enforcement for 7 years, working instead as an electrician. He was recertified as a police officer in 2014 and was hired to work as a part-time patrol officer in Winter Harbor, but later was fired from that job for reasons that have not been disclosed.

At the end of the hearing, Bishop was allowed to hug members of his family and to say goodbye before he was handcuffed and led away by correction officers to begin serving his sentence.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

quote:

“Why is being a member of law enforcement an aggravating factor?” Bishop said.
Because you betrayed the public trust, rear end in a top hat. You were given a position of authority over people's lives and used that authority to commit crimes.

Being a police officer should be an aggravating factor on every crime.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Because you betrayed the public trust, rear end in a top hat. You were given a position of authority over people's lives and used that authority to commit crimes.

Also the expectation in Australia is that police officers have been professionally trained in de-escalation and dealing with stress. So if you lose your cool and punch some fellow in the face, that is worse than joe public that is not trained in the same way.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Ravenfood posted:

*robot cop dog voice* "That's not very Back the Blue of you citizen, you are now marked an ANTIFA Super-Terrorist, termination authorized"

Feb 29, 2024
random psychotics workers in society with mimic police badges and mimic police uniforms demanding authority through violence

Mar 1, 2024
>discuss nannystate probation officers

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Also the expectation in Australia is that police officers have been professionally trained in de-escalation and dealing with stress. So if you lose your cool and punch some fellow in the face, that is worse than joe public that is not trained in the same way.

I love that it's basically the opposite in the US. And by love, I mean it probably needs to all burn down.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

sport let me tell you about what the supreme court says about the concept of the public trust vis a vis the police
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html
https://www.alternet.org/2022/06/supreme-court-cops-protect-individuals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

https://abcnews.go.com/US/uvalde-city-council-finds-police-lacked-clear-leader/story?id=107893515

It turns out if you justify those that died, wearing the badge makes you a chosen white!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
National Guard in NYC, police everywhere including a precinct right where the subway shooting occurrd proves we just do not need police

There had to be millions of useless taxpayer money "crimestoppers" and they were no where to be found

Acab, abolish, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Could that be rectified with a law or would it take a constitutional amendment?