Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

On the aftershow JR was super high on OC. We are on the path to WHC Orange Cassidy

As we should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

https://twitter.com/TonyKhan/status/1268381291864641540

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Also my wife is really liking Cody's matches, she likes how physical they are, and the blood and stuff, but hates how Cody doesn't seem to like his wife. She thinks he should be a lot more affectionate to her when she comes out to check on him after matches. Tonight he barely acknowledged her after the match.

Also JR called out Taz for using just for men on his goatee, and getting new glasses (as a goof) and Taz had a really funny reaction. the sound drops out a bit, but there are a lot of good laughs and good insight on this weeks post show.

JR is big on Swole too. He really seems to have a pulse on folks that a lot of the posters here, and folks watching can get behind.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Name a company, Dave.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cavauro posted:

Name a company, Dave.

Global Force Wrestling

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SWOLE

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Darn, no Spud for AEW

I wanted to see him do a big man match against Marko someday

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Tony appearing out of nowhere in that vignette was amazing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blaise330 posted:

Darn, no Spud for AEW

AEW has no need for minor leaguers, this is the major league.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

On the aftershow JR was super high on OC. We are on the path to WHC Orange Cassidy

drat don't get my hopes up. I'll certainly settle for him doing crazy skits with the inner circle.

Tony Khan earned some extra "I think he's running things well" points by not just replying to Meltzer's tweet about some of the technical mixups on tonight's show, but doing it basically instantly. It's nice to see an owner who gets info out there for the fans, even on little details like tonight's mixups.

I hadn't thought of it being a loaded glove and I'm totally on board with it, that's the kind of thing I really like in wrestling. Have him punch guys with it and just always deny it's loaded, have his manager swap it out for a normal glove behind the ref's back right after the match, all of that stuff really gels with me for some reason and i think it's a good idea to try to liven up Spears a bit. It's also a gimmick weapon that should be able to be used incredibly safely, so I like that aspect too.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 4, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The ref catching Penelope Ford mid-move and Page being, “don’t look at me, it’s her fault! What should I do with her?” Was an early highlight for me.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I thought this show was waaaaay better than last week's which was honestly not really great. Entertaining from top to bottom.

Cody vs Jungle Boy was really fantastic. Unusual for a Cody match to not have 500 supporting characters these days though (which I do enjoy most of the time). Surprised he didn't try and book some shenanigans with the other members of the Jurassic Express. Not sure about the choice to blade here and not in the Archer match. And I'm still not sold on the weekly defenses. I think there should be time between some of these defenses to show video packages and things building up to the match.

The tag match was the other highlight match (and almost nothing needs to be said here because of course it was) but the women's was really good too. Last time I saw Swole she was doing these really lovely punches but they were a lot better here. I like that huge backhand that she blasted Nyla with. It reminded me of that Will Ospreay move that I can't remember the name of.

Britt's work during the injury has been fantastic. I can't remember doing a faster 180 on a wrestler I originally didn't like than her. She's inching close to that line now where she's so fun to watch that she might not be able to be a heel for much longer.

Colt in the DO? I dunno. It could be good. I thought it might be cool if the Dark Order slowly recruited all these "generals" and then they had a huge blowoff match with a superteam of faces. I just didn't really picture Colt as one of the people they would recruit for their group of spooky weirdos.

The interview with FTR was pretty ok. They don't seem like natural talkers. It wasn't the drizzling shits or anything but they seemed to struggle putting their thoughts out there coherently. B&B crashing into the room and having a huge pull apart really elevated this segment. I thought they were awesome and this really made me interested in the match.

Mox and Tazz both had good promos tonight too. I think it's interesting how you have this guy in Cage who just absolutely murders people but Tazz is taking the completely wrong approach in dealing with Moxley. He's trying this intimidation tactic and putting over what a killer Cage is with these squash matches as though it's supposed to make Mox uneasy which comes across as really shortsighted when you look at who Mox is. What he should do is keep Cage as a somewhat unknown entity like Wardlow used to be so Mox doesn't know what he's in for when the match finally arrives.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Blaise330 posted:

Darn, no Spud for AEW

fun fact this now means AEW has more posts about nxt then posts in the nxt thread about it

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

OctoberCountry posted:

With all the talent they have why do they keep putting this much effort into Shawn Spears?
I actually find it straight baffling. I like Shawn Spears, but the original idea seemed like he'd build a stable with Tully managing and now they've got the people to build a stable with and he's... Doing Tully on his underpants jokes and something about a glove? He's a great midcard goon or turn him face and tell him to wrestle better.

I enjoy AEW and this week was great but a lot of stuff I do not understand their choices on.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think they knew they got lost in the weeds with the "search for spears" poo poo and DoN was just a nadir moment in fan reaction, so they're trying to mix it up again w/ a singles angle and a fiery Tully

i sincerely doubt it was all planned this way, so yeah, they're really giving this guy 101 chances to make something catch fire

i don't mind Spears much, and i think he'd be a good mid card heel or gatekeeper, just have him drill sergeant the new talent and cut news promos on them and win/lose about 50/50

edit: and i feel like Spears and MJF had really good chemistry, but no way in hell if I'm Maxwell Jacob Friedman am i getting Shawn Spears stank on me at this juncture

edit2:
i'd love for AEW to do a little shoot show once a year where they talk about a "finished" time in AEW (maybe over 1 year ago) and have some of the production/bookers/talent go into what kinda poo poo they liked, hated, what they wanted to do but didn't etc.

smarxist fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 4, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Big Shawn Spears fan over here

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

NienNunb posted:

Big Shawn Spears fan over here

I legit really like him

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I like that he just keeps trying even though none of the gimmicks he's tried have entirely worked for me. He's got pluck.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Crapple! posted:

I legit really like him

Hard same! He's a real fun shithead heel mid carder.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I feel like they want to keep it old school but they should really go insane with it. Like maybe shawn never wrestles important matches but time travels and screws with history. Maybe have Matt Hardy show up.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

coconono posted:

I feel like they want to keep it old school but they should really go insane with it. Like maybe shawn never wrestles important matches but time travels and screws with history. Maybe have Matt Hardy show up.

It's kinda like spy vs spy except Matt hardy fixes terrible events in the past but then Shawn bumbles in and sets them in motion again

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

smarxist posted:

i think they knew they got lost in the weeds with the "search for spears" poo poo and DoN was just a nadir moment in fan reaction, so they're trying to mix it up again w/ a singles angle and a fiery Tully

i sincerely doubt it was all planned this way, so yeah, they're really giving this guy 101 chances to make something catch fire

I read a theory that #SearchForSpears was a setup for The Revival's contracts expiring at different times before they got released, which I think kind of makes sense. But it might just be a byproduct of people fancasting FTR in a stable led by Tully, and they haven't linked the two at all so far so who knows.

No matter what they definitely should make Spears a secondary guy in a stable and give Tully a better wrestler to work with

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

I thought the segment at DoN was gonna be the unofficial split up of Tully and Spears. Figured he'd lean more into being a comedic/weasely heel, but guess not. I think Tully's got enough going for him to carry whatever they're doing with Spears for the moment, but idk about long term. I suppose it's a good thing that AEW isn't gonna completely give up on someone, for better or worse. Except The Nightmare Collective, rip. However, if Shawn shaves his face again he deserves to go on a year long losing streak.

If they go the loaded glove route, that could be fun and solidify him in a slightly elevated midcard spot I think. Though if we're going loaded wrestling accessory, bring in Chris Hero and bring back his loaded elbow pad.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

I know it's easily written off as pandering but I found the Black Lives Matter message at the start to be powerful and affecting.

Wish they'd mentioned Butcher & Blade while FTR were attacking them.

Britt Baker in her Roles Royce is fun.

I like the new match title screens. The graphics all look like they've had some polish.

As an unashamed Havoc fan, I'm glad to see Brit Polycule get a title shot.

God, I have missed Hangman. Page and Omega are such a wonderful team.

I love in ring introductions for title matches. Makes them seem special.

The shot of FTR in the crowd is a good touch, scouting the whole tag division. Makes them and the match seem important.

Hangman just CATCHING Penelope was superb. The level of fuckery in this match was just enough to be a seasoning, not a sauce. Take note, Cody.

It's partly how good Cowboy Bebop are, but this is the best Havoc and Sabian have looked. This is a good match.

Continue to love that literally everyone escapes the You Can't Escape.

Jimmy Havoc just tried to attack someone with a hacksaw as an INCIDENTAL spot. Havoc as a Vicious Little poo poo is the perfect way to use him.

Guys, this was a really good match. Result was inevitable but Sabian and Havoc looked like they belonged at the top table. Last Call is a GREAT name for that finisher.

Very glad they brought the Tully promo onto TV at least in part, as it's the first time I've given a poo poo about Spears in a while.

Not sure A Glove is the missing part for Spears. He's already a bit of a Gimmick Collector.

And for our next course: BEEF. Hi Sean Dean already in the ring. I like Taz enjoying Cage's assaulting his opponent. Basic squash, but for demonstrating explosive offense it was great.

Taz is a very good mouthpiece. I like him feeling disrespected. This is a very good manager / wrestler combo.

Hi Mox. Good promo here. Mox showed real respect and enjoyment here. I am starting to really give a poo poo about this match.

Lance Archer bullying Marvez in a construction yard is great. Jake looking worried was a lovely touch.

HARDY PARTY! Love this. I like people in this company just having friends.

Hi Sammy and his scooter.

Cabana vs Jericho could be a lot of fun. Or it could be a whoopin. Let's see what happens.

They gave Sammy a mic to sing again! Why is this so funny?

Cabana coming in HOT. Like it. Because his approach is usually comedy, I think people forget that Cabana can work any style. He's looking GOOD here so far.

This match turned out to be really good. Jericho and Cabana isn't a match I expected, but there's something really compelling here. Cabana got some near falls that really had me for a second.

THE BADDEST MAN ON THE PLANET! gently caress, this was such a perfect cue to pick up. Orange as Bugs Bunny is the best.

Give me Best Friends & OC vs P&P & Jericho, Coward Big Biceps Tony.

Great Britt Baker package. They're really onto something with her.

Swole

Swole

Swole

My girl Nyla. This could be really good fun.

I loved the touch of Shida looking warily at Nyla. She beat her but knows she's dangerous.

More technical match than I was expecting, but really good energy. That apron bump Nyla took was HARD.

Swole has got a lot better since last time. Her and Nyla put on a good show here.

BRITT BAKER JUST GOLF CARTED THE BARRIER! This is great!

FTR interview. I have to say, as interviewees they're very good wrestlers. They're coming across as very heelish here, which is good. They warm up as the interview goes on, and I'm actually getting into their characters. Not good guys or bad guys but rather Chaotic rear end in a top hat.

And now I'm REALLY pumped for B&B vs FTR.

Next week's show looks stacked. Wish the Inner Circle team had Jericho rather than Hager, but that's fine.

Mr Brodie making a play for Cabana is great. Lovely organic storytelling.

And now our main event tag match: Cody and his tattoo vs Jungle Boy and his prominent junk.

Ooh, new ring gear for Jungle Boy.

The TNT belt looks right on Cody. It completes his look in a really good way. Cody smiles in the ring like he can't believe he gets to do this poo poo.

This is so energetic! Cody is stepping his game up to match Jungle Boy's athleticism. Cody catching Jungle Boy and just CHUCKING HIM INTO THE CROWD was great.

The choice to make Cody a situational bully is great.

OK, that blading was VERY clumsy. They had to vamp with MJF to cover.

Speaking of camping, Jungle Boy smeared with Cody's blood is a hell of a visual.

Holy poo poo, that delayed superplex.

Telegraphed table spot. Paid off, though.

Cody needs to pick one big Territories spot per match and just stick to that. Good match overall, and a good first defence for the TNT title, but Cody is good enough that he doesn't need a million things.

Very good show. No bad matches, enjoyed everything more than last week.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

every spears segment largely just makes me wonder who the time could be better spent on

it's just a lot of time given to a guy who's had one remotely notable gimmick and 0 notable matches

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 4, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

JR coming around on Orange Cassidy is awesome. He definitely acted like a grump-rear end for like the first two months of AEW because he didn't get OC's gimmick.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

JR coming around on Orange Cassidy is awesome. He definitely acted like a grump-rear end for like the first two months of AEW because he didn't get OC's gimmick.

I legit think JR has survived in the wrestling industry since 1974 because he has a very good instinct for when he's been beaten. He'll put up a bit of a fuss but he'll retreat.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They didn't let OC wrestle for a while.

Make OC the champ

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I wonder if they ever will go through with making him the champion. It's fun to think about how they would build to the title match. He'd probably have to be in serious mode a lot more often

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I said Orange 'Baddest Man on the Planet' Cassidy would be World champion right after his match with PAC and I stand by that claim :colbert:

All in all it was a really fun show. The tag match was really good, Kip's looking better and better every week and the Last Call is such a perfect finisher name. Mox's promo was badass, Jungle Boy looked great in the main event Swole/Britt looks like a banger of a feud. I'm not sure we'll be getting Britt every week though, this show was taped at the end of DoN week so she would still have been in town but she might not be up for travelling back now until she's healed up some.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Watching Dynamite from last night. I love seeing Hangman in action, he's so so so good now. Probably my favourite guy in the company, which is wild cos I thought he was boring as gently caress when AEW started.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Britt having a motorized wheelchair throne was a fantastic touch and they need to keep doing that.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Watching Dynamite from last night. I love seeing Hangman in action, he's so so so good now. Probably my favourite guy in the company, which is wild cos I thought he was boring as gently caress when AEW started.

100% in the same boat. I liked his NJPW stuff then thought, wow, he is boring as gently caress in AEW. Now he's pretty much my favorite active wrestler going I think or at least #2. Ruled seeing him in a proper match again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Britt having a motorized wheelchair throne was a fantastic touch and they need to keep doing that.

Her hurtling into the barricade was great, but holy poo poo when she screamed at Reba to throw it in reverse :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The person whose gimmick is "entitled white yuppie" trying to mow down a black woman with a truck is a little on the nose this week, but I appreciated Swole getting a chance to show some babyface fire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Butcher and the Blade's white gear looks sooooo good. Butcher looking like something from A Clockwork Orange and Blade like a skeezy Miami coke dealer. I love it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm interested in a Colt Cabana storyline for the first time in my life.

MJeff posted:

The person whose gimmick is "entitled white yuppie" trying to mow down a black woman with a truck is a little on the nose this week, but I appreciated Swole getting a chance to show some babyface fire.

Yeah I definitely had an "oh nooooooo" go through my head for that reason when I saw that but also liked Swole coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great show this week, it flowed really well. I know it was edited so I'm sure that helped a bit.