Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Logistics points, you need 100 to a hex with a building for it to function at 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

For some good news, Vic's one of the better grog designers I've seen as far as...amicability with his players. A thread about the "tortured syntax" of some of the text in the manual and game got this response when people suggested crowdsourcing corrections:

Vic posted:

I'll see if I can organize a dedicated place to do this. I am very open to keep making corrections over the long haul.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I feel a bit silly for having to ask this, but what are the differences between the two editions? There's an option to upgrade to boxed + digital for ten bucks, but I'm not sure if the base is boxed or digital. I'd assume digital is the base but then in the product page it talks about disks.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

It's competent and fun

Sounds good enough for me!

Carillon posted:

I feel a bit silly for having to ask this, but what are the differences between the two editions? There's an option to upgrade to boxed + digital for ten bucks, but I'm not sure if the base is boxed or digital. I'd assume digital is the base but then in the product page it talks about disks.

The base edition is digital. They could have worded that better.

edit: oh duh, the discount code was in the OP.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 6, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Sounds good enough for me!

The base edition is digital. They could have worded that better.

BTW, be sure and use "Wargamer20" for 20 percent off. Came to $31 and change for me through the Matrix store.

Thank you, yes that's the similar total I saw, just wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally ordering the physical edition.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Model Design can even be your first council because that’s how you get tanks and artillery, not the military research council.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Started the game. Immediately realized that I wanted to change some parameters and restart, and laughed when I realized literally can't find out how to exit the stupid game short of Alt-F4. The escape key, which is kind of the default "pop up the general menu to save, exit game, etc." does nothing.

EDIT: OOOOOH, found it, in the Preferences menu. Naturally. :)

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 6, 2020

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

SlyFrog posted:

Started the game. Immediately realized that I wanted to change some parameters and restart, and laughed when I realized literally can't find out how to exit the stupid game short of Alt-F4. The escape key, which is kind of the default "pop up the general menu to save, exit game, etc." does nothing.

EDIT: OOOOOH, found it, in the Preferences menu. Naturally. :)

They weren't kidding when they said this game evokes memories of playing bootleg CD ROM games in 1996.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hoo boy, dirt roads over low mountain forests are loving expensive. 400 industrial points per hex? How am I supposed to spread glorious supply through my country, which is apparently Himalayan Mirkwood?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It evokes memories of the excellent Emperor of the Fading Suns, which remains my #1 choice for “old cult games needing a good remake”

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not having any metal deposit sucks. I've captured 3 zones and can't find a single metal deposit. You need it to make unit, you need it to build building. Right now metal cost over 5cr per unit. Oh and some raider keep crossing this huge wasteland to raid my PoI every few turns and it's rear end to hook up the area with supply so I can post units there without starving to death.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

In case you or anyone else isn't aware, you can build a Recycling facility in Ruins hexes (they'll have a scavenger rating in the bottom right info pane that shows how much stuff there is to grab, but I'm not sure what a good number is yet) and you'll gain some metals from them. It'll help until you find a deposit.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Also I had a minor regime next door with thousands and thousands of troops on two fronts separated by a lava sea (Cerberus planet). The minor AI sent one fast unit around the line I was holding on one of the fronts and captured my closest city, which was undefended. "Pretty clever move," I thought, and retook the city the next turn.

Apparently that was the only city they owned and since I took it from them the game considered them "defeated" and their entire army vanished lol.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

pointsofdata posted:

I like how there is real pressure to find a source of metals early, rather than it just being a nice to have. Not sure what the best order for councils is yet - I'm tending to get applied science, economic and model design early but that's just guessing

Mil, model design, econ are the key first three. Your initial research is all either econ or mil based. Model design lets you upgrade troops and make new vehicles.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Apparently that was the only city they owned and since I took it from them the game considered them "defeated" and their entire army vanished lol.

:lol: That's pretty good but clearly an edge case where something went awry, can you report it as a bug?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Oh rad, Vic's already got an open beta patch available on the Matrix forums - v1.01a-beta1:

quote:

A game NEWLY started with a properly patched version will show "Version #17" in your "Dashboard Report".

Changelist to v1.01a-beta1
-Adjusted the interest of AI for building Hydroponics
-Fixed a less informative label on the unit counters after upgrade/downgrade Formation Type (Saros)
-AI improvements related to allocation of OHQs to Fronts
-AI improvements related to consistency of Front areas
-Fixed Model Statistics glitch that caused anti-inf % and AT % to get switched around. (Saros)
-Zone now keeps less reserves if it is for an Asset that is on reduced production or construction percentage (Shards)
-Fixed glitch with partial construction % set and actual progress of that construction
-Fixed glitch with automatic worker recruitment and asset in partial production
-Fixes Sound Volume slider
-Severely tuned the Difficulty for Major Diplomatic Stratagems, though there remain some impossible rolls if the AI Major in question is just not willing at all to accept *
-Fixed a glitch in the application of the Skill Bonus by Leader Feats
-Fixed a glitch with failed rolls on raising or lowering taxes & tariffs *
-AI will no longer give you Credits while at war *
-When constructing roads to a Hex just one Hex away from the start it will always go as “the bird flies”. In some rare cases this is useful.
-Unit movement now also goes as the “bird flies” if the distance is just 1 Hex. In some rare cases this is useful or even crucial to avoid likely surprise combat.
-Fixed a crash during a Compare Leader in the Leaders Popup
-Reduced the chance for a Decision to be communicated through Metrics by a factor of 10.
-Fixed 2 different rare crashes in the Stratagem Tab
-Made a minor fix in the usage of Commerce Bonus inside the inter Trade House trades.
-Fixed the inability to use Expel Diplomats to break final level of diplomatic contact level*.
-Increased initial Energy generation for Tech-5 start *
-Fixed the Jetpack OOB/TOE *
-Increased speed for 200% DPI setting enormously
-You can now no longer nationalize a Private Asset that is just in the process of being upgraded
-Fixed an AI crash !! (Carson)
-Fixed a crash with transfer of troops from one battlegroup to another, fully emptying the first one (Saros)
-Fixed a glitch with the left side of the Staff Council task progress on operationalization of a new OOB was wrong
-Fixed a glitch with the renaming of Models (* in some cases)
-Fixed a bug with Minors building up to many Units and at the same time causing very long AI processing times (Che)
-Game now stops sound if you ALT-F4 / end-task
-Reduced the militia growth for some minors from killing freefolk and pop, especially if they have units with low subunit count.
-Fixed glitch where a “non-City” regime would surrender after losing a city they conquered (Slavers, nomads, etc..)
-Added a bit more Food for game starts with initial Armies present *
-Fixed a crash with Hex Perks on the 0,0 Hex
-“Recruit Talent” stratagem now actually ensure a younger Leader to be recruited *
-Fixed a crash during Combat setup with Ranged Fire
-Fixed a glitch with the Civilization Level dropping to zero
-Fixed faulty mouse-overs concerning maximum storage transfers to SHQ on round 1

*=requires a new game start to go into effect

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Squiggle posted:

Hoo boy, dirt roads over low mountain forests are loving expensive. 400 industrial points per hex? How am I supposed to spread glorious supply through my country, which is apparently Himalayan Mirkwood?

It's even worse for high mountain hexes. Roadbuilding needs to get a second pass, game-design-wise. Right now, everything is instantaneous, but far too expensive. Infrastructure through rough terrain needs to be a long-term investment, but also not cost a decade's worth of GDP to build.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I didn't mind the ATG solution of roadbuilding, which involved doing it manually with engineer units.

Though the current instant-but-expensive roadbuilding is less micromanagey and probably more mainstream in terms of design :v:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Is the cost multiplicative or something? 20 IP base doubles to 40 IP in a forest; does that make low mountain 10x?

20 x 2 x 10 is 400 so that seems like what's happening here. I think tiles with multiple terrain types should probably add the sums of their modified base instead, so more like (20 x 2) + (20 x 10) for 240.

Still pricy, but it's not fuckin' 400. Then again, I'm not even 20 turns into a game, so...maybe the IP requirements aren't so crazy further down the line.

EDIT: I liked this bit from the readme (from beta2, but still included in the game files):

quote:

Hate it? Please speak up
It is ok if you hated, or just did not like the game.  
Actually it is vital you do not keep silent.  
Do ​not​ avoid insulting Vic.  
It is paramount that you take the time to explain why you did not like the game. 

So if you did not like Shadow Empire… don’t take the easy way out by just going silent.  

I like Vic more and more. He seems to have a good reputation, and I think I see why.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 6, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I wouldnt hold out hope for rail costs decreasing. I've been back and forth with Vic about it and he seems quite content with anything mountainous being rail-inaccessible. I eventally gave up and started just posting pictures of Swiss railways.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rolled heavy battledress on like turn 10 from a fate point card, have now managed to recruit one unit of space marines with water pistols riding appropriated school buses.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Squiggle posted:

Is the cost multiplicative or something? 20 IP base doubles to 40 IP in a forest; does that make low mountain 10x?

20 x 2 x 10 is 400 so that seems like what's happening here. I think tiles with multiple terrain types should probably add the sums of their modified base instead, so more like (20 x 2) + (20 x 10) for 240.

Still pricy, but it's not fuckin' 400. Then again, I'm not even 20 turns into a game, so...maybe the IP requirements aren't so crazy further down the line.

EDIT: I liked this bit from the readme (from beta2, but still included in the game files):

I like Vic more and more. He seems to have a good reputation, and I think I see why.

Yeah, Vic is great. I once posted in the Steam forums for Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and made an offhand comment about a small bug I found that was easily worked around. Vic looked into it and released a patch about a day later. This was four or five years after the original release of the game, too.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 6, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah it's a lot of the reason why people familiar with him & the DC series are fairly chill about the admittedly shoddy text. It'll get fixed and Vic is always happy to listen to feedback and fix problems with frightening Germannic Dutch efficiency.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

pointsofdata posted:

Rolled heavy battledress on like turn 10 from a fate point card, have now managed to recruit one unit of space marines with water pistols riding appropriated school buses.

I got heavy battledress early from a Fate Card as well, and I saw Saros got it in his LP - wonder if there might be an issue with the underlying dice roll there. Was it the Ancient Archive card?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I got heavy battledress early from a Fate Card as well, and I saw Saros got it in his LP - wonder if there might be an issue with the underlying dice roll there. Was it the Ancient Archive card?

Yeah it was. The carbine/heavy battledress troops seem to win combat pretty well against early game opponents, it just takes forever. If that card always gives that tech it feels like a bug as that's way better than the other fate point cards I've played so far.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It definitely gives other techs, I got serpentinization in my LP from an earlier play of it and just now in MP it gave me automated turrets (useless lol). The reason battledress is so good early is that it counts as 80mm armor so small arms suffer a 75% penalty to their attack power plus the ridiculous HP it gives.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 6, 2020

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Generally I get useless techs from it. Yes you can get good things.

You can also get random nuclear missile units.

or pounded by raiders turn 2.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yeah I love the random draw, I just lucked into a unit of ED-209 analogues on turn 2 in a random event so this push into slaver territory just got real funny

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
My current run had me getting charged gauss weapons early on, which is pretty fun to have. A different run that was ended by slavers had me getting rocketry. It's definitely random.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do zones have finite prospectability and if so how do i figure out when i've done that.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

do zones have finite prospectability and if so how do i figure out when i've done that.

They do and if you click on Rep. in the upper right and select Prospecting Overview you'll see a report of all deposits found in each zone and if they're sure they won't find anymore they'll say that too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Is it weird that the game defines a planet with twice the average rainfall of earth as … arid?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

AtomikKrab posted:

Is it weird that the game defines a planet with twice the average rainfall of earth as … arid?

I guess it's a function of water coverage rather than rainfall? Earth is mostly ocean after all, whereas your planet apparently has most of its water in the atmosphere. I guess it's rigged to not generate large oceans because there's no ships in-game(yet). No aircraft either.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Boksi posted:

I guess it's a function of water coverage rather than rainfall? Earth is mostly ocean after all, whereas your planet apparently has most of its water in the atmosphere. I guess it's rigged to not generate large oceans because there's no ships in-game(yet). No aircraft either.

correct there is an ocean limitation phase to basically keep the maps I think from getting too wet right now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Building railways between cities will help relieve logistics issues on dirt roads right (seen by them being black in the choke point view)? And do I need stations in both cities or will a railhead in one city be enough? Also I nationalised the truck station in my capital and I think that helped but am not sure.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Railstations generate the logistics points, railheads allow them to move between the station and the railhead but don't give extra points. You need either a station and a railhead or two stations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

Building railways between cities will help relieve logistics issues on dirt roads right (seen by them being black in the choke point view)? And do I need stations in both cities or will a railhead in one city be enough? Also I nationalised the truck station in my capital and I think that helped but am not sure.

Bigger truck station will alleviate bottlenecks faster, also use the P key to preview logistics and prune your network with traffic lights you might be able to fix the bottleneck just by making more of your logistics points flow along it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So dirt roads don't have capacity limits? I just need to get more trucks to use them, they aren't "full"?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
There's no limit on capacity, but there is a limit on distance. Logistics points decay after a certain distance, if you're in preview mode you can see how after a couple of hexes the logistics points start going down with each hex. You can extend it a bit by building sealed roads and supply bases(keep in mind you can't chain supply bases though) but eventually you'll need to build a new truck station. Or use railroads, rail is good for long distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah the normal truck station makes 1000 Logistics points and 100 Truck AP. The Truck AP means that out to 100 AP along a road (dirt roads are 10/hex, sealed roads are 5/hex) you get 100% of the logistical point flow, it degrades fairly quickly after that. Supply Depots add 50 truck AP to any logistical flow going through them, i.e. extending the range you get 100% LP flow with no degradation along dirt roads for an extra five hexes.