Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
15% is nothing in the grand scheme of thing. If without using BG your unit won't get OHQ bonus then you are losing out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is there a way to plan out how much supply I need before an offensive, especially with many troops involved? Partway through my offensive basically all of my task force is starving. Worst part is I don't see major bottlenecks in the logistics close to the troops. The road+rail line going into the nearest city is blue on the bottleneck and the road directly going to my troops is green. The logistics tab on the unit tab says something about how no more pick up points could be used.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Usually thats because your troops are too far from a road. Press 6 to see how far they can actually venture from the road before supply cant reach them. Alternatively there is a bottleneck between them and the SHQ because all the supplies have to come from it (not the closest city).

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"Through archeological finds the state has installed in this town a cloning facility that spawns a thousand tax payers per season, a device that extracts energy from gravity, and a tower that yells happiness."

"Can we build a hospital?"

"Those resources are reserved for the war effort. Tanks don't grow on trees."

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Hey, automated clinics are also a thing.

Alternately:

:Commerce!:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I also assumed my workers were being automated out and not supplimented by robit labor

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Saros posted:

Usually thats because your troops are too far from a road. Press 6 to see how far they can actually venture from the road before supply cant reach them. Alternatively there is a bottleneck between them and the SHQ because all the supplies have to come from it (not the closest city).

Yeah i'm getting bottlenecks from my SHQ to the front. I'm not sure if my traffic sign changes are going to help though. My unit supply request is about 47K and I don't think my SHQ logistics are enough to cover the front. Within 2 turns that supply request went up to 63K.

EDIT: Supply increased from Red to Blue and my supply to units went up to 29K from 18.7K from playing with traffic signs although my Zone to SHQ decreased from 121K to 89K. How badly will Zone to SHQ supply issues affect my regime?

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 20, 2020

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Gonna be honest. A map with 40% mountains is not a fun map to play on.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I started rerolling for anything over 20-25%, it just takes so goddamn long to cross any mountain range more than a tile or two wide.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What's the highest ocean percentage you've ever rolled? I don't think I've gotten past 20

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Half-wit posted:

Gonna be honest. A map with 40% mountains is not a fun map to play on.

Welcome to Space Afghanistan

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Yeah....the more recon spies uncover, the worse this gets.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I guess I haven't built enough roads through terrible terrain, do you get reduced movement penalties on roads?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

What's the highest ocean percentage you've ever rolled? I don't think I've gotten past 20

Like I think I got 18% once but it seems crazy to me that liwa/medusa class can't roll around 50% or something.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Grevlek posted:

I guess I haven't built enough roads through terrible terrain, do you get reduced movement penalties on roads?

Road has fixed AP cost regardless of terrain, but building road through high mountain costs thousands of IP so it's often impractical.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
~7% Mountain
~83% Plains
~10% Oceans

Is my sweetspot. This gives large, open areas that are segmented and bottlenecked by geography. Like, you know, a boardgame.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Road has fixed AP cost regardless of terrain, but building road through high mountain costs thousands of IP so it's often impractical.

just build more industry

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Shadow Empire: Build More Industry, Pave the Mountains

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Half-wit posted:

Yeah....the more recon spies uncover, the worse this gets.

Just use the house atomics to create a mountain pass. Duh.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

pedro0930 posted:

Reflecting reality in that private industry doesn't build roads. Much to the irritation of libertarians.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Armadillo Tank posted:

Reflecting reality in that private industry doesn't build roads. Much to the irritation of libertarians.

Don't they build short roads to a main road if they are making a mine?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Lawman 0 posted:

Don't they build short roads to a main road if they are making a mine?

They will, not sure about the maximum length they'll consider, but I saw an oil drill pop up that was a hex away from one of my roads in a game or two. The terrain was flat/ruins though, so again not sure how private industry handles that.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Private industry loves making roads right where you don't want roads. Also I am pretty sure the ocean percentage is artificially capped until the naval update comes out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Stairmaster posted:

Ocean percentage is purposely limited until Vic puts navies in, so that you don't end up with a map you can't get around

e: beaten, hours ago. that's what i get for not reading the rest of the thread before i reply

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Realized the criminals got up to 40+ crews in my capital. Brought my infantry brigade home and cracked down.

A couple turns later, the syndicate is gone?!

Law & order, baby!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's not outlined anywhere, but having a garrison in your towns make those criminal eviction/worker rights march/unrest event rolls much easier.

They also chip down unrest by their own. I usually raise 1k independent troops as a garrison and hit "0" to assign them as guards.

I used to always get gutted early game with unrest events but a competent governor and a small garrison seems to really help.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Thats what Militia are for once you dont need them to hold the borders. That or you keep a cheap-as-possible infantry model around to raise for garrison duty.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

When I found a new city how many pops should I be sending in colonists per turn?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Enough to get whatever buildings you have in the new city staffed...then not much need past that, unless you're planning on expanding the buildings in the zone.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I don't understand why my old and new SHQ don't have a logistical connection even though there are roads and trains between them. :confused:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

i like to get em up to 25k, so you can get level ii structures.

Lawman 0 posted:

I don't understand why my old and new SHQ don't have a logistical connection even though there are roads and trains between them. :confused:

they need to have a logistical network connection that has current points for the entire path. hit L and look for the empty spot. this is usually a big problem, at least for me, since I usually only make a 2nd SHQ because of the logistical difficulties in the first place.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i like to get em up to 25k, so you can get level ii structures.

they need to have a logistical network connection that has current points for the entire path. hit L and look for the empty spot. this is usually a big problem, at least for me, since I usually only make a 2nd SHQ because of the logistical difficulties in the first place.

I think I figured out this on my own (it's a gap along a dirt road) so how do I force a connection?

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

I think I figured out this on my own (it's a gap along a dirt road) so how do I force a connection?

From what it sounds like, you just need to increase the level of your truck and train stations to create more truck and train points along the path. That's really the only way to make it happen. Also double-check your Traffic Signs in case you're unintentionally limiting the flow along some roads, but I doubt that's the issue.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Use the bottlenecks supply view to ID where the network is over loaded and use traffic signs to direct more flow in that direction. Also build more trucks/trains (you can never have enough).

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Pretty sure most models usefulness are locked behind their need for OOB operationalization. And yes that is maybe the least good system in the current game, to me anyway. 400 different variations of mobile infantry and they all take badly needed resources to develop and all is practically random and no design input from Mr. Big Boss allowed aaaaah
This is from some time ago (I completely forgot this thread existed), but I went ahead and actually figured out the Order of Battle tech tree:

As this also works with the "discover" and then "research" approach the rest of the techs use, you should be relatively careful what formations you actually research. Each one you research opens up a TON of other formations. Which can make it very difficult to get the one you want.

This tree is also used to upgrade/downgrade formations from one to another.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 3, 2021

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This is so confusing :sigh:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
What I gathered is that you really shouldnt make another SHQ unless you have a divided empire or something. I'm sure there are edge cases where it might help but I bet most games you can get by with your starting shq

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It'll prolly make sense when oceans are a thing.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Grevlek posted:

What I gathered is that you really shouldnt make another SHQ unless you have a divided empire or something. I'm sure there are edge cases where it might help but I bet most games you can get by with your starting shq

Yes.

In my last game I made two extra SHQ's when I united with two far away Minor Farmer nations.

So by buying some missing resources on the open market I could kick off the development of those zones, while I worked my way through the wild lands to make a connection.

However, if your Empire is very large, it would be advantageous to split it up in different SHQ's. At the price of manually moving stuff between them, the total load on the transport network could be significantly reduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I think I finally got the hang of building infantry before getting utterly stomped on by a major power. Before I got taken out I had researched tanks and even designed a model for one but I couldn't figure out how to build any. Is there like a building I need to have or something for artillery/tanks?